Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
No doubt. I’ve been very tempted to switch to the S23 Ultra, but Apple has me locked into their ecosystem big time. Back when the note 8 came out, I switched from my iPhone to it, but I ended up sending the note 8 back in and going back to iPhone because I just couldn’t adjust to android.

Plus, the whole watch thing, the way I see it their isn’t an android equivalent to the Apple Watch.
Well the iPhone 15 should be a significant upgrade if they use 3nm chip, better GPU, maybe better camera system, USB C, so if you upgrade anything maybe that might be the way to go. I have a feeling that the 15 might just bring everyone back who has been on the fence with the s23u.

I could never do a watch. I was tempted but the thought of having something connected to my wrist sending me notifications was just too much. I need less phone time and pings not more. Lol

I am pretty interested in the Pixel 8 pro. Flat screen, 9 core CPU on 3nm, Tensor AI, should be interesting in a few months.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Of course, the S23U is better than the S22U. But if S22U users finds their battery and performance sufficient enough… is there really a need to upgrade?

I can’t speak for those Fold 4 owners who you are referring to, but battery life is good on my Fold 4… obviously, there will be better battery performance on the Fold 5 given the praise Samsung has gotten with the S23U.

Rumors have stated that Samsung will use the same camera technology in the Fold 4, but I could be wrong. Only concrete information we have to go on is that Fold 5 is said to be lighter, focus on removing the crease and increase in battery & performance.
Just having it be lighter, no or less crease, and better performance and battery seems like a good combination and reason to upgrade.

I think we are past the point of major re-designs ever year or even every other year. It is more about refining and improving what works.

Well that is the thing. The s22u might be good enough but if you don't have to spend much out of pocket to get better battery life, better performance, and better cameras then it might be worth it. Obviously if it is a major cost to do so then I agree. But you can always find deals on Samsung phones. You just have to time it right.

Djones96

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2022
Well the iPhone 15 should be a significant upgrade if they use 3nm chip, better GPU, maybe better camera system, USB C, so if you upgrade anything maybe that might be the way to go. I have a feeling that the 15 might just bring everyone back who has been on the fence with the s23u.

I could never do a watch. I was tempted but the thought of having something connected to my wrist sending me notifications was just too much. I need less phone time and pings not more. Lol

I am pretty interested in the Pixel 8 pro. Flat screen, 9 core CPU on 3nm, Tensor AI, should be interesting in a few months.
I 100% agree with the iPhone 15 bringing everyone back that may have switched to the S23U. That’s the thing that annoys me about these YouTubers that put out videos about how they’re “switching and never going back” you know damn well once the 15 comes out, they’ll be right back on the Apple train. Also they make these “switching” videos and wear an Apple Watch ultra the whole time, like huh? 😂

I get wanting less pings and being constantly connected to your phone, I used to be the same way, but eventually I have in and now I can’t live without it lol.

I haven’t seen anything about the pixel 8 but I’ll have to look into it. I’ll probably just end up buying the iPhone 15 even though I upgraded to the 14 pro max. Always gotta have the latest lol

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I 100% agree with the iPhone 15 bringing everyone back that may have switched to the S23U. That’s the thing that annoys me about these YouTubers that put out videos about how they’re “switching and never going back” you know damn well once the 15 comes out, they’ll be right back on the Apple train. Also they make these “switching” videos and wear an Apple Watch ultra the whole time, like huh? 😂

I get wanting less pings and being constantly connected to your phone, I used to be the same way, but eventually I have in and now I can’t live without it lol.

I haven’t seen anything about the pixel 8 but I’ll have to look into it. I’ll probably just end up buying the iPhone 15 even though I upgraded to the 14 pro max. Always gotta have the latest lol
YouTubers seem to just post whatever they think will get them views regardless of truth. Most just regurgitate each other like some bad echo chamber. A lot of them have no idea what they are talking about.

I have no problem with people switching back and forth. I think it is good to see things from the other side every so often. Keeps things fresh. Gives you a better idea of what works on all platforms and gives you better insight on a more realistic perspective.

Just like politics everything and everyone is so polarized. You can be in the middle and have multiple points of view. You can like iPhone and Android, Mac's and Windows. No need to foam at the mouth about whatever device you have is the absolute best and the company that made it can do no wrong.

I am taking a break from iPhones just because at the moment I am more interested in the s23 ultra and Pixel. But that doesn't mean that at some point I am going to want to enjoy the iPhone and iOS goodness.

Djones96

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2022
YouTubers seem to just post whatever they think will get them views regardless of truth. Most just regurgitate each other like some bad echo chamber. A lot of them have no idea what they are talking about.

I have no problem with people switching back and forth. I think it is good to see things from the other side every so often. Keeps things fresh. Gives you a better idea of what works on all platforms and gives you better insight on a more realistic perspective.

Just like politics everything and everyone is so polarized. You can be in the middle and have multiple points of view. You can like iPhone and Android, Mac's and Windows. No need to foam at the mouth about whatever device you have is the absolute best and the company that made it can do no wrong.

I am taking a break from iPhones just because at the moment I am more interested in the s23 ultra and Pixel. But that doesn't mean that at some point I am going to want to enjoy the iPhone and iOS goodness.
Oh 100%. I don’t mind people switching back and forth, I encourage it if anything. Like I said, if I could, I would trade my 14 PM in for the S23 ultra, but I’m too locked in. Maybe eventually I’ll venture to android, but not now

Ixon2001

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2017
Wigan UK
I have the S23 Ultra, Tab S8 & the Watch 5 Pro, plus both a Windows Laptop & recently acquired a M2 MacBook Pro, I love the MacBook as this is my main go to now when i need to get stuff done like photo & video editing ect, don't need it to integrate with anything else & it works perfectly fine without it.

Tbh though thanks to cloud storage I could easily get by without having a Windows Laptop, but there always that one frustrating thing that might crop up on Mac OS that requires me to use Windows, hence why i won't get rid of my Windows Laptop.

Reactions: Technerd108

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
I don't think its as simple as that... because if there's a chance to pick up a Fold 4 at a good discount, why not take advantage of it.

And according to rumors there's going to be minor differences between the Fold 4 and 5. I currently have the Fold 4 with plans on waiting for the 6.

Oh I’d get the Fold 5 regardless if I like having a fold. The same way I’d be switching to the iPhone 15 Pro Max from my 14 if I stay with iOS.

I just like switching things up and try things so I have a tendency to make too many changes per year :p.

And the rumours say the Fold 5 will probably be thinner and lighter which I’d jump on instantly since that is one of the bigger downsides for me.

Reactions: Technerd108

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
And this is my point.

All companies have some sort of business practices that people deem unethical... but since Apple is most profitable company, they get the most scrutiny.

I’m not sure if it the most profitable thing or not. But they do position themselves as the doing the right thing for their customers company. That only leads to more scrutiny for them.

Apr 12, 2023
And this is my point.

All companies have some sort of business practices that people deem unethical... but since Apple is most profitable company, they get the most scrutiny.
No, what it is, is Apple crows about being the "most ethical", the "most environmental" and the company that "looks out for it's customers". They are all the same. That's why apple gets the most scrutiny. They claim to be one thing when they are exactly like the rest.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
No, what it is, is Apple crows about being the "most ethical", the "most environmental" and the company that "looks out for it's customers". They are all the same. That's why apple gets the most scrutiny. They claim to be one thing when they are exactly like the rest.
At the end of the day, companies are only looking out for their best interest… I personally don’t think its unethical to keep iMessage tied to Apple devices regardless if users criticize the practice as a lock-in mechanism.

It would be one thing if Apple blocked exchanging SMS messages and the only way iPhone users can contact family and friends is through Apple devices. But that’s not the case, the problem is we (US) have lumped iPhone users into this socially elite group wherein green bubbles are frown upon

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
Google’s biggest problem is dragging its feet with a watch that is at least close to what Apple has.
Between messages and the watch Google really hurt themselves.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Google’s biggest problem is dragging its feet with a watch that is at least close to what Apple has.
Between messages and the watch Google really hurt themselves.
People say the same thing about Tensor. It is too slow, it throttled, etc. But we are at generation 2!?. Same with the watch. Generation 1.

Was Apple silicon better than Snapdragon on the first gen? Was Apple watch what it is today the first iteration?

It takes time to develop and improve and the only way you do that is by putting stuff out there and see what works and what doesn't and keep improving.

I think the Pixel watch is pretty good for a first gen product. I think even the Tensor G2 is decent and the Tensor G3 looks to be much better.

As long as Google sticks with and keeps improving things will be much better.

I don't know what is wrong with Google messages?

Reactions: gusmula and three
Apr 12, 2023

This is me as well. I use windows, iOS, iPadOS, linux, android, I can't do MacOS. It's frustrating to me and I have tried it 3 times previously only to go back to my windows systems. If you use Mac cool, As Technerd said, don't think apple is jesus christ reincarnate with their "policies". They are ALL out to get all of your money. They all have good points and bad points.

Reactions: gusmula and three

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
People say the same thing about Tensor. It is too slow, it throttled, etc. But we are at generation 2!?. Same with the watch. Generation 1.

Was Apple silicon better than Snapdragon on the first gen? Was Apple watch what it is today the first iteration?

It takes time to develop and improve and the only way you do that is by putting stuff out there and see what works and what doesn't and keep improving.

I think the Pixel watch is pretty good for a first gen product. I think even the Tensor G2 is decent and the Tensor G3 looks to be much better.

As long as Google sticks with and keeps improving things will be much better.

I don't know what is wrong with Google messages?
Google was so slow with Wear OS Samsung was forced to put Tizen in their watches which turned out to be crap and only recently started putting google in their watches. Meanwhile, Apple is on watch version 8. That’s 8 watch models before Google Pixel 1.

Google messages don't hold a candle to imessages because they abandoned Hangouts.

C’mon let’s be real Google can’t get out of it’s own way.

Reactions: salutcemoi

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Google was so slow with Wear OS Samsung was forced to put Tizen in their watches which turned out to be crap and only recently started putting google in their watches. Meanwhile, Apple is on watch version 8. That’s 8 watch models before Google Pixel 1.

Google messages don't hold a candle to imessages because they abandoned Hangouts.

C’mon let’s be real Google can’t get out of it’s own way.
Well I am not a big fan of any major company. Google has a pretty bad record and sticking with a plan or hardware for that matter. But once they do they do alright.

I think they realize that having an ecosystem is important and the watch is a part of that. They were slow going but I doubt they are going to change course now.

As far as hangouts no one used it so why is it even relevant? Google messages works perfectly well for me.

And you proved my point version 8 vs version 1. Give Google some time.

Although personally I would not buy a Pixel watch now I might try a version 3? But I am not much of a Apple watch or Pixel watch person anyway.

I have no problem with iOS or iPhone. If you don't mind the hardware, being locked in and lack of features and customization then it is great. For a lot of people who don't care about settings, or what kind of ram, storage or processor the phone uses, will never need an s pen, don't mind getting "new" features that have existed on Android phones for years then they are perfect. A lot of people who are not extremely computer literate are a perfect fit for iPhone because they don't have to configure anything. It just "works" out of the box.

I have family members who have had iPhones for years. They have never tinkered with anything. But features like airdrop are so easy for them to use. FaceTime is so easy to use. If they have a Mac everything just works together so easily and that is a really huge benefit.

With Android there is so much choice and if you don't choose wisely you can end up with a really terrible experience. A lot of Android phones don't have the same level of interconnectivity and even if they do there is some level of configuration and setting things up. For some of my family members this would be a huge ordeal.

So you may like iMessages better and if you have even one other Apple device then I totally get it. If you have family members using Apple it works great.

But Google despite it's flaws or self inflicted wounds still makes some really cool stuff.

My Pixel 7 Pro is amazing at speech to text recognition. Android Assistant is light years ahead of Siri. iPhone users with all their benefits can't even have the phone screen a spam call or unblur a photo. They can't use their phone hands free like I can without major headaches. Google leveraging AI is only going to improve and Apple is not really even focusing on AI. It is going to bite Apple in the but in the next 5 years or so if they don't start to catch up.

So you can focus on the areas Apple is better but it doesn't make iOS superior. Both OS are superior to each other in different ways. You might value end to end encryption of your texts or many other iOS benefits. I might value something else.

But if you are stuck on one side of the fence yelling how much better it is on your side you are missing so much. I think it is better to try and use multiple platforms and alternate between them. There are times where Apple software and hardware is going to be overall better than Google or Samsung but right now is not that time. Right now Google is improving in key areas and making hardware and software that is just better overall than iOS and iPhone. In a couple years it may switch around again.

I just use what I think works best now. Then I change when things change rather than be locked into a way of thinking, way of doing things, or believe that any company is better than another. A company is only as good as the last product it made.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I think more so than anything, the dearth of equivalent apps in the android App Store would be enough of a dealbreaker for me.

Just on my iPhone alone, I count the following apps which are, to the best of my knowledge, iOS only.

Overcast (podcast app)
Apollo (reddit client)
Ivory (mastodon client) <- and prior to its death, Tweetbot
Lumihealth (health-tracking app which lets me earn rewards, it was a collaboration between Apple and my country's health authority, and so requires an Apple Watch)
1password (password manager)
Things (task manager)

For a time, Fantastical (while it soon grew too expensive for my tastes, it's still the best calendar app I have interacted with thus far)

And then on my iPad, I have all of the above, plus notability, pdf expert, mindnode and lumafusion.

A number of these apps (things, notability, pdf expert, 1password, mind node) I share across my iPhone, iPad and Macs. Ensuring a consistent experience across all devices.

It's not that I can't switch to android and / or windows. I am just not really sure what I am getting out of this. USB-C charging port is nice, I guess? Ability to torrent? I am not really sold on the folding phone design either.

I think it goes back to my earlier point where it's not enough for the competition to offer a phone that's on par, or even marginally better than the iPhone, spec-wise. You have to beat the entire ecosystem, and I guess that Tim Cook made the right call back in 2011 to double down on precisely that. :)
1Password is cross platform. For everything else you could find similar apps.
My biggest pain is Things, but I am considering switching to ToDoist, which is cross platform. The more you are invested in the Apple Ecosystem, the more difficult will be to make the switch.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
No doubt. I’ve been very tempted to switch to the S23 Ultra, but Apple has me locked into their ecosystem big time. Back when the note 8 came out, I switched from my iPhone to it, but I ended up sending the note 8 back in and going back to iPhone because I just couldn’t adjust to android.

Plus, the whole watch thing, the way I see it their isn’t an android equivalent to the Apple Watch.
I am using a Galaxy Watch 5 Pro and like it very much. Battery life is very good, and functionality definitely similar to what the Apple Watch is offering. I am not saying it's better, but it is pretty close. I actually like it more than the Apple Watch, since it allows for even more customization. I also like the watch faces better on WearOS.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
I am using a Galaxy Watch 5 Pro and like it very much. Battery life is very good, and functionality definitely similar to what the Apple Watch is offering. I am not saying it's better, but it is pretty close. I actually like it more than the Apple Watch, since it allows for even more customization. I also like the watch faces better on WearOS.

I’ve just sold my watch 5 pro as it was not even close to being as good as my AW! There were are number of issues with it which make it not so good for me, mainly the weak vibration and poor gps. I like my watch to be silent and I need good vibration to get notifications when my phone is not on or near me. I have missed many notifications on the galaxy watch 5 pro because I never felt the buzz in my wrist, I never miss them on my Apple Watch. GPS on the watch 5 pro also sucks, the distance I get when running is ALWAYS shorter than my other devices which makes it annoying to use for one of the main uses I bought it for. Sure the customisation is good but it’s got to be functional first no matter how good it looks. Just my experience, ymmv.

Apr 12, 2023
I’ve just sold my watch 5 pro as it was not even close to being as good as my AW! There were are number of issues with it which make it not so good for me, mainly the weak vibration and poor gps. I like my watch to be silent and I need good vibration to get notifications when my phone is not on or near me. I have missed many notifications on the galaxy watch 5 pro because I never felt the buzz in my wrist, I never miss them on my Apple Watch. GPS on the watch 5 pro also sucks, the distance I get when running is ALWAYS shorter than my other devices which makes it annoying to use for one of the main uses I bought it for. Sure the customisation is good but it’s got to be functional first no matter how good it looks. Just my experience, ymmv.
MMDV...ha ha. My apple watch vibe sucks too. I have the exact same issues you did with your pro.

Reactions: gusmula

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
My biggest pain is Things, but I am considering switching to ToDoist, which is cross platform. The more you are invested in the Apple Ecosystem, the more difficult will be to make the switch.
Well, at the time I am writing this, there is a very high chance that Apollo (and every other third party Reddit client) might cease to exist next month. Bummer.

I have tried both Todoist and Things. Each has their pros and cons. Things, being a native app, just feels "nicer", though Todoist, being a web app, is able accessible on my work laptop via the chrome browser. However, it is also subscription based, and had I stuck with it, would have cost me more than purchasing Things for my iPhone, iPad and Mac.

You are right about 1password now being available on Android (it was an iOS app for the longest time). Do we know if it is also available on Android Wear products? One neat feature of 1password is the ability to view passwords from my Apple Watch, saving me the hassle of having to take my phone out.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
The Apple Ecosystem is a double edged sword. For those deeply invested in it or have been using iPhone and other Apple devices for a long time it becomes very difficult to ever leave.

This is a concerted and purposeful action on the part of Apple not just to bring enhanced interconnectivity to their products but to lock out the competition.

To me, it smacks of a corporation trying to control it's user base over their own best interests.

I don't understand why they do it. They could release FaceTime and Airdrop to Android to work with iPhone and other Apple devices and they could make iMessages compatible with Android phones but they don't. They know it will inconvenience their users if they ever try to leave.

If they made these things cross platform it would also be an advertisement for them to Android users who have never used their products making them familiar with the enhanced functions that iOS has.

But they must at some level be afraid that there would be a mass migration away from iPhone otherwise they wouldn't do what they do. That is in my opinion unfair competition and business practices.

I understand that Apple is in business to make a profit but ethics should be a part of their business model. They love to say how "green" they are which is debatable but most of the good they say they do is mostly just marketing.
Thats why they do it, and why i dont have any Apple products anymore. Google lets their apps be used on iOS like Chrome , Google photos, etc but Apple stubbornly wont recipricate. So i dont participate in buying their devices.

Even having to use type C for charging, i found somebody needed a charge and offered my external battery and the type C cable wouldnt fit in his Apple type C as the Apple type C was too small to fit. Just dumb on their part.

And Apple is making PLENTY in profit and always has.

Reactions: gusmula and Annv

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
I have a lot of Apple product, but I can switch pretty easily. 1Password for passwords, Fastmail for email and contacts, Firefox for web browser, standard notes for notes, and a few other things.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.