Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
So I am not going to be able to keep my wonderful iPhone 13 Pro Max. I am sad as it has served me very well. But several things have made it so I have to move on.

I can't afford a new iPhone 14 Pro max at this time even with a trade in. I need unlocked so carrier deals are no good.

I was able to get a Pixel 7 Pro basically for no cost out of pocket.

I still have a Mac and iPad. I have family and friends who mostly have iPhone. They use iMessage and air drop.

I am curious as to what other people do who switched from iPhone to Android to keep as much functionality they had with their iPhone?

Thanks for any suggestions, tips or tricks.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Good luck. I considered doing the same as I prefer android. But after a few days with the 7 pro I realized I’m unwilling to compromise on some things and one of them is biometrics. The P7Pro cut corners there and while it’s way better than the 6, it’s still way worse than FaceOD or the ultrasonic FP scanners on flagship Samsung phones.

My 13 Pro Max is so damn good that any new phone I get needs to be an upgrade and the 7 Pro didn’t feel like one (even though the OS feels great). Same reason I didn’t upgrade to the 14 Pro Max, just didn’t feel like an upgrade.

Personally, I’m staying with the 13 Pro Max until the next iPhone, until the Fold 5, or until Google stops cutting corners with the Pixel line.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
So I am not going to be able to keep my wonderful iPhone 13 Pro Max. I am sad as it has served me very well. But several things have made it so I have to move on.

I can't afford a new iPhone 14 Pro max at this time even with a trade in. I need unlocked so carrier deals are no good.

I still have a Mac and iPad. I have family and friends who mostly have iPhone. They use iMessage and air drop.

I am curious as to what other people do who switched from iPhone to Android to keep as much functionality they had with their iPhone?

Since you have a Mac and your family is all on iMessage look into Airmessage. I am able to send and receive iMessages on my Fold4, Pixel 7 Pro, and Tab S8 ultra with my family and friends. Just have to use your apple id email instead of your phone number. The main functionality missing is the inability to do tapback reactions and also you can't see when they are typing. But the only reason I even care to have iMessage is being able to get full size media attachments and also not messing up group chats by being the only non iPhone user and it works pretty well to serve those purposes.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Good luck. I considered doing the same as I prefer android. But after a few days with the 7 pro I realized I’m unwilling to compromise on some things and one of them is biometrics. The P7Pro cut corners there and while it’s way better than the 6, it’s still way worse than FaceOD or the ultrasonic FP scanners on flagship Samsung phones.

My 13 Pro Max is so damn good that any new phone I get needs to be an upgrade and the 7 Pro didn’t feel like one (even though the OS feels great). Same reason I didn’t upgrade to the 14 Pro Max, just didn’t feel like an upgrade.

Personally, I’m staying with the 13 Pro Max until the next iPhone, until the Fold 5, or until Google stops cutting corners with the Pixel line.
I'm glad you have the choice. The iPhone 13 Pro Max is probably the best iPhone ever made in my humble opinion.

That being said, I think the pixel 7 Pro is a really good device. The fingerprint scanner being optical is really not a problem. I have a Samsung Galaxy s22 plus with ultrasonic fingerprint sensor and it is not very reliable. At least in my experience, the seven pro is very reliable in terms of the fingerprint scanner.

Being able to use speech to text in order to write this is pretty cool. I really can't do that on my iPhone.

They're definitely some things I'm going to miss with my iPhone. However, for me right now there really isn't any other option. I can't buy another iPhone 13 Pro Max and I don't want the 14 Pro Max because there is no physical SIM card. Plus in order to trade in my iPhone I would have to spend several hundred dollars to get the iPhone 14 Pro Max or something inferior in the iPhone lineup.

Since I have a Galaxy s22 plus I am going to wait until the s23 is announced and then I may upgrade to the ultra.

For now it seems I will be waiting until next year until I get another iPhone.

In terms of feeling like an upgrade, I agree. The iPhone 13 Pro Max feels more premium than the seven pro. However, there are some things I like about it more than the iPhone. As you said, the software experience on the pixel is pretty incredible. I also like the cameras. I also like the fact that it's a lighter device. The iPhone 13 Pro Max is really heavy. I didn't notice this it until I got the s22 plus.

I am also not by a fan of iOS lately. iOS 15 was pretty close to perfect. Very stable, great battery life and improvements that made me enjoy the iPhone more. iOS 16 has been pretty terrible. Removing my old dynamic wallpaper, adding widgets was nice but I don't like how it is implemented. Stage Manager is useless. And now my iPhone gets about 2 days of battery life which isn't bad but it would go 3 days easy before the update and two point updates haven't changed anything.

I like airdrop, iMessage and Facetime. And the integration in all my other Apple devices. This and the flat screen are what I will miss the most and the used to be 3 day battery life. Only phone I ever had when it hit 50% I didn't worry about charging it for another day.

Reactions: Awesomesince86

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Have you considered a foldable? I like Android too but like Awesomesince86 said, no interest in switching from iOS unless it feels like a big upgrade. The only one in my opinion that potentially feels like one is the Galaxy ZFold 4, even with shortcomings in battery and camera compared to the 14 Pro Max. I haven't pulled the trigger and most likely won't but my eyes are definitely peeled on what Samsung is doing with the Foldable market.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016

Did you consider applying for an Apple card? Apple is giving a 5% discount on purchases for new card members. With you trade of your 13 PM and 24 monthly payments, that might be something to consider. That's if your finances allow.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
Which one of the those do you think has the better camera?
Having the 13 PM, 14 PM, and 7 Pro, I find the 7 Pro the best by the slightest of margins.

I think low light shots turn out better on it but both are great. Well lit shots, both are fantastic. Its really personal preference.

The iPhone camera is a bit faster which is a big plus.

The editing features of the Pixel is really the main differentiator for me. I love photo unblur and magic eraser. I also prefer the google camera app.

BUT-if you do a lot of video, the iPhone is hands down the best. The 7 Pro has made greats strides here but it's not quite there yet.

Reactions: compwiz1202

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011

I did this when the CSAM stuff was going on and I hated it. I even had multiple droids back in the day. There is no equivalent to iMessage or Airdrop. you will turn green and like it. Your relatives and friends will blame you for this LOL.

If a number of others already turned all your group chats green, then just use the stock messaging app. But airdrop doesn’t work between iphone and android in any way that I ever found. There are android only options though.

You will be back. I took a hit on selling my Pixel and now have a iPhone 13 Pro Max lol.

• Haha
Reactions: sinoka56

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Having the 13 PM, 14 PM, and 7 Pro, I find the 7 Pro the best by the slightest of margins.

I think low light shots turn out better on it but both are great. Well lit shots, both are fantastic. Its really personal preference.

The iPhone camera is a bit faster which is a big plus.

The editing features of the Pixel is really the main differentiator for me. I love photo unblur and magic eraser. I also prefer the google camera app.

BUT-if you do a lot of video, the iPhone is hands down the best. The 7 Pro has made greats strides here but it's not quite there yet.
Do you think the difference between the 13 and 14 is anything noticeable? I have seen some 13 PM on Facebook way cheaper than the 14

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
Do you think the difference between the 13 and 14 is anything noticeable? I have seen some 13 PM on Facebook way cheaper than the 14
Nope. I don't see much of a difference at all. Honestly if I had to pick between 13 PM and 14 PM I'd go 13. I hate the dynamic Island and battery life was much better although that may be an ios16 issue on all devices in which case a 13 PM updated to ios16 may have the battery drain issue also.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I did this when the CSAM stuff was going on and I hated it. I even had multiple droids back in the day. There is no equivalent to iMessage or Airdrop. you will turn green and like it. Your relatives and friends will blame you for this LOL.

If a number of others already turned all your group chats green, then just use the stock messaging app. But airdrop doesn’t work between iphone and android in any way that I ever found. There are android only options though.

You will be back. I took a hit on selling my Pixel and now have a iPhone 13 Pro Max lol.
In all fairness, the last time I switched to Android, which was almost 2 years ago, I kindly told those who were mad to go **** themselves blue and never heard a gripe after that.

Going back to Apple is definitely more about how Apple services all work together and the ease of use.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
In all fairness, the last time I switched to Android, which was almost 2 years ago, I kindly told those who were mad to go **** themselves blue and never heard a gripe after that.

Going back to Apple is definitely more about how Apple services all work together and the ease of use.
Good point, because they can go **** themselves! I am back on Apple, and don’t care if they are green—other than it isn’t encrypted. Which is due to Apple not wanting RCS at this point as much as anything.

Reactions: compwiz1202

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
does these android devices sync at all with a macbook or iPad?

samsung android has so many syncing problems with Lenovo and windows 11
that i stopped trying to troubleshoot my neighbors well "crap" anymore.
its so bad i risk not getting any of her xmas pudding this year!

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011

In my experience? Not well to not at all. If you really want integration, stick with iPhone.

Reactions: MBAir2010

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Have you considered a foldable? I like Android too but like Awesomesince86 said, no interest in switching from iOS unless it feels like a big upgrade. The only one in my opinion that potentially feels like one is the Galaxy ZFold 4, even with shortcomings in battery and camera compared to the 14 Pro Max. I haven't pulled the trigger and most likely won't but my eyes are definitely peeled on what Samsung is doing with the Foldable market.
Exactly how I feel. Until Google wow with me a no compromise Pixel or Samsung release a foldable with a normal sized outer screen, I’ll probably just stay with an iPhone. But after originally thinking folding phones was a gimmick, I’m now fully convinced they are the future. They just need to cross the threshold where there are a few less trade offs. Mainly, greater 3rd party app support and improved screen durability.

Reactions: mjschabow

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Exactly how I feel. Until Google wow with me a no compromise Pixel or Samsung release a foldable with a normal sized outer screen, I’ll probably just stay with an iPhone. But after originally thinking folding phones was a gimmick, I’m now fully convinced they are the future. They just need to cross the threshold where there are a few less trade offs. Mainly, greater 3rd party app support and improved screen durability.
Yeah and in my opinion, the ZFold 4 is almost there if not there already. Tried the 3 and hated it. Put it back in the box after 2 hours. Played with the 4 in a store, plus we have a friend who has one. Such a great device. If I had the guts to go through a complete switch, this is the only Android phone I’d consider.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
my only complaint with fold 4 i just wish the screen was wider and it would be flawless really. Aside from having a periscope lens of course.

the refinement from 3 to 4 was very good

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Yeah and in my opinion, the ZFold 4 is almost there if not there already. Tried the 3 and hated it. Put it back in the box after 2 hours. Played with the 4 in a store, plus we have a friend who has one. Such a great device. If I had the guts to go through a complete switch, this is the only Android phone I’d consider.

I owned the 3 for a while and hated the front screen. Just too narrow. I played with the 4 in store and it seemed better but still not wide enough. Why does Samsung think people would rather have a taller narrow outer screen and a more vertical rectangle on the inner screen? It makes no sense. A shorter, wider outer screen would feel more like a normal phone and a more horizontal rectangle inner screen would feel more like using a tablet in landscape which is what most people do as it’s better for productivity and media. I just don’t get their line of thinking with their design.

I still have worries about durability. I’m fine with it being a more fragile device, but there are still way too many reports of screens randomly breaking. And it seems like even the ones that don’t have to replace the screen protectors a few times a year as they eventually start to bubble.

Reactions: mjschabow

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I owned the 3 for a while and hated the front screen. Just too narrow. I played with the 4 in store and it seemed better but still not wide enough. Why does Samsung think people would rather have a taller narrow outer screen and a more vertical rectangle on the inner screen? It makes no sense. A shorter, wider outer screen would feel more like a normal phone and a more horizontal rectangle inner screen would feel more like using a tablet in landscape which is what most people do as it’s better for productivity and media. I just don’t get their line of thinking with their design.

I still have worries about durability. I’m fine with it being a more fragile device, but there are still way too many reports of screens randomly breaking. And it seems like even the ones that don’t have to replace the screen protectors a few times a year as they eventually start to bubble.
Agreed. I think current state, I could live with the outer screen but yeah, if we're using that outer screen 70% of the time, it would be great to have a wider screen.

The other issue is that videos on the inner screen. If you watch a YouTube video, for example, the actual real size of the video is almost exactly the same as if you put any other big phone in landscape mode and watched the video. I realize that this is due to aspect ratio, but overall, you're not really gaining more from a bigger inside screen in those cases at least.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Why does Samsung think people would rather have a taller narrow outer screen and a more vertical rectangle on the inner screen? It makes no sense.
Well, I beg to differ. If you were to poll Galaxy Fold users… majority would favor the taller narrow outer screen and vertical rectangle on the inner screen.

I’m guessing its a factor of one-handed use for the narrow outer screen and I find typing is much better when in vertical orientation on the inner screen.

A shorter, wider outer screen would feel more like a normal phone and a more horizontal rectangle inner screen would feel more like using a tablet in landscape which is what most people do as it’s better for productivity and media. I just don’t get their line of thinking with their design.
Don’t get me wrong, I like the Oppo Find N design and I wouldn’t be opposed if Samsung adopts it, but to think that Samsung didn’t do their research when bringing this to the market is invalid.

But once Google Pixel Fold enters the market and more people gravitate toward that device, perhaps… Samsung will be force to change their design.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I will say though, the thought of bringing up my 2 fantasy leagues side by side this weekend sounds amazing.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

It depends on what you want to sync. You can sync all email, contacts and calendar and photos to various cloud servcies. The one thing that will not sync is text messages unless you use a third party messaging service.

I use MBP and iMacs at home with my Android devices and iPhones and don't have any issues.

Reactions: MBAir2010

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Since you have a Mac and your family is all on iMessage look into Airmessage. I am able to send and receive iMessages on my Fold4, Pixel 7 Pro, and Tab S8 ultra with my family and friends. Just have to use your apple id email instead of your phone number. The main functionality missing is the inability to do tapback reactions and also you can't see when they are typing. But the only reason I even care to have iMessage is being able to get full size media attachments and also not messing up group chats by being the only non iPhone user and it works pretty well to serve those purposes.
Check out BlueBubbles It has tapback reactions and typing indicators.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Anyone try unlocking service like cellphone unlocked? Are they just a scam? Can they actually unlock a device?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.