Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
Hello. I am using MacPro3,1 (2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon) on 10.13.6 (17G11023). I've tried to install AAAMouSSE.kext to /S/L/E in order to use my RX470. The Mac OS does boot up successfully but with some glitches, and I am not able to login. After I entered password and then press enter, the login failed and Mac OS only reloads the login screen (back to the user selection screen).

I change back my GTX960 into the Mac Pro and tried executing:
sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AAAMouSSE.kext
and it was successful, means that the kext is properly installed.

Am I missing something, or are there any solutions? Thank you so much.
I’d suggest adding Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts to your system as well.
I would also use kextstat to determine if a kext was loaded or not.
also drivers for the AMD GPU improved a lot in 10.14.

the GPU Is working though, as without the emulation kext you would not have seen a login window, so it sounds like you have something broken in your macOS install.

Try a fresh copy of 10.13.6 or preferably 10.14.6 on a spare drive / partition.

Reactions: timmykm721

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
Hello. I am using MacPro3,1 (2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon) on 10.13.6 (17G11023). I've tried to install AAAMouSSE.kext to /S/L/E in order to use my RX470. The Mac OS does boot up successfully but with some glitches, and I am not able to login. After I entered password and then press enter, the login failed and Mac OS only reloads the login screen (back to the user selection screen).

I change back my GTX960 into the Mac Pro and tried executing:
sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AAAMouSSE.kext
and it was successful, means that the kext is properly installed.

Am I missing something, or are there any solutions? Thank you so much.
(Sorry, this is just a drive-by post - I'm traveling and I only have a few minutes right now)

Some questions about your 10.13.6 install:
1) Did you use the @dosdude1 installer/patcher? If so, did you install the Legacy Video patch?
2) What version of the dosdude1 (or other) installer/patcher did you use? At one point, the patcher installed a different "SSE 4.2 fixed" version of the AMD driver kext that had some issues; if that kext is installed, you're likely to have problems with or without MouSSE.

As others have said, a clean installation (using the latest version of the installer/patcher) should either clear up the problem or provide more clues.

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
Syncretic helped me with an issue I was having getting MouSSE to install but now I have a new issue.

I installed MouSSE yesterday in preparation for updating my video card to a Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB in my Mac Pro 3,1 (2008) 3.2 GHz 8-core running High Sierra 10.13.6 (installed with the latest High Sierra Patcher tool 2.7). High Sierra is on an HFS+ Journaled SSD volume and the Mac has 48GB of RAM. High Sierra has been running fine since July.

The previous video card installed was an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT but over the last week or so the Mac has been spontaneously rebooting with an NVRM[0/2:0:0]: Read Error in the crash report. This seems to be related to the NVIDIA video card so I decided to do an update to the Sapphire Pulse this morning (was originally planned for next weekend). Nothing software-wise was changed, just the new video card.

When I boot the Mac I get video but neither the keyboard nor mouse work. I can connect to the Mac using the built-in screen sharing and move the cursor and use the keyboard that way. But the main issue is that I'm getting a lot of unexpectedly quit errors from, among others, Bluetook Setup Assistant, Spotlight, Notification Center, SystemUIServer, etc. I can click the ignore button for these but they pop back up within seconds. Finder crashes every time I click the desktop or the Finder icon in the dock.

Checking the crash reports for all of these they throw up the same thing:

EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0X000000000000004b

The Mac had spontaneously rebooted three times since yesterday with the NVRM[0/2:0:0]: Read Error so these new panics only started occurring since I installed the Sapphire Pulse.

Anyone have any ideas?

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
You need lilu and whatevergreen to fix an issue where the video ram test that happens at boot writes into a portion that already in use causing framebuffer corruption and panic.
[automerge]1582076120[/automerge]
I would also highly suggest moving to Mojave 10.14.6 as the driver for this GPU is much more mature.

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
You need lilu and whatevergreen to fix an issue where the video ram test that happens at boot writes into a portion that already in use causing framebuffer corruption and panic.
So Whatevergreen.kext into Plugins in Lilu and then Lilu into Library/Extensions? Or should it be System/Library/Extensions?

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
So Whatevergreen.kext into Plugins in Lilu and then Lilu into /Library/Extensions? Or should it be /System/Library/Extensions?

I believe the developer says they should be in "/System/Library/Extensions" but its also preferred that it be injected via OpenCore boot loader.

timmykm721

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2020
hdmi works,DP works, both at time works too
For my RX 580 Nitro+ SE, DP+HDMI works fine but when occupying both HDMI Ports, one of them outputs black screen while the other two monitors flicker.

Last edited:

Headrush

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2020
MouSSE (Limited SSE4.2 Emulator) Public Release
Current version: 0.38 (19 October 2019)
When referring folks to MouSSE, please just link directly to this post, which will always contain the latest version & info.

EDIT (13 November 2019): If your system does not contain a Metal AMD GPU, you should not install MouSSE. There are several reported instances of instability in non-AMD-GPU systems, with no clear cause yet identified. Instructions on how to uninstall MouSSE appear in this post (see below).

This software has been tested on various hardware and software configurations, and it seems to be stable enough to release from beta. Please provide any feedback you have, positive or negative, success or failure, in this thread or via direct message to me.

*** IMPORTANT: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
This software is provided as-is, without any warranty whatsoever. There is no reason it should cause any problems, but if things go wrong, they're your responsibility. It has been tested and benchmarked on various systems and various versions of MacOS, but there are no guarantees that it will work on any given system or version of MacOS. The author is not responsible for any losses of time, money, hair, memory, peace of mind, car keys, or television remote controls related in any way to the use of this software.​
(And now, after that ringing endorsement...)​

*** What is it?
Newer AMD Mac video drivers use some SSE 4.2 instructions. Older CPUs (Penryn, Harpertown, and earlier) don't support those instructions. Older Mac Pro systems (such as the Mac Pro 3,1) use those older CPUs - therefore, the new AMD drivers won't work in those systems. MouSSE is a limited SSE4.2 emulator that allows those old CPUs to use the newer AMD drivers. While its primary focus has always been making the AMD drivers work, it also appears to allow World of Warcraft to run on a Mac Pro 3,1 regardless of whether or not AMD drivers are in use.​

In theory, depending upon what you're trying to accomplish, this emulator could prove useful on any Mac system with a Penryn/Harpertown/Wolfdale CPU. These include:​
Mac Pro 3,1 (Early 2008)​
Xserve 2,1 (Early 2008)​
MacBook Pro 4,1 (Early 2008)​
MacBook 4,1 (Early 2008)​
MacBook 7,1 (Mid-2010)​
MacBook Air 2,1 (October 2008)​
MacBook Air 3,1 (October 2010) (11")​
MacBook Air 3,2 (October 2010) (13")​
iMac 8,1 (April 2008)​
iMac 9,1 (March 2009)​
iMac 10,1 (October 2009) (with Core2 Duo, not i5)​
Mac Mini 3,1 (March 2009, October 2009)​
Mac Mini 4,1 (Mid 2010) (aka Mac Mini Server)​
Not all of these have been tested; your mileage may vary. In addition, CPUs even older than Penryn could utilize this emulator; however, since they lack SSE4.1, adding only limited SSE4.2 would probably be of little or no benefit.​

I personally have tested this on MacOS 10.13-10.15 (High Sierra, Mojave, and the release version of Catalina). Others report that it loads on 10.11-10.12 (El Capitan and Sierra), although the AMD drivers on those do not seem to require emulation.​

*** What does it do?
MouSSE traps illegal instructions in both privileged (kernel) mode and unprivileged (user) mode, and emulates the POPCNT and PCMPGTQ instructions. As of this writing, those two instructions are the only problematic ones used in the AMD drivers. (And, apparently, the only two currently used in World of Warcraft.)​
MouSSE is fully reentrant, and automatically runs on all CPUs/cores/threads.​

*** What does it NOT do?
At this time, MouSSE does not implement any SSE4.2 instructions other than POPCNT and PCMPGTQ. If there is sufficient demand, a future version may include support for additional SSE4.2 (or other) instructions. If MouSSE encounters an unsupported instruction, it passes control to MacOS, and you will see the same error handling you'd see if MouSSE was not installed (usually, an "Illegal instruction" message and program termination).​
* As of version 0.32, MouSSE no longer behaves transparently when an​
unsupported instruction is encountered. In order to assist troubleshooting,​
MouSSE loads the 16 bytes at the illegal opcode into XMM15, and the first​
8 bytes of that into R15. Both registers are used because while 16 bytes​
provides all the context necessary for analysis, some crash dumps do not​
include the XMM registers, so R15 is also loaded (8 bytes is better than​
nothing). This violates the transparency principle, but given that the​
"illegal opcode" error is generally fatal, the effect is negligible. If you​
know of a situation where this is problematic, please let me know so I can​
devise an alternative.​
* As of version 0.38, a "magic" illegal opcode is handled: the​
normally-illegal instruction 3f 55 44 ("?UD") returns "MouSSE42" in RAX,​
as a way to test that MouSSE is loaded and active. Without MouSSE running,​
that instruction will throw a #UD exception on any system, new or old.​

Aside from whatever IOKit uses at startup, MouSSE uses no dynamically allocated memory, so there's no chance of a memory leak. MouSSE does not create any processes; it's simply an extension of the kernel.​
MouSSE doesn't read or write any files, or access any networks, or touch any other devices. All it does is watch for the instructions it knows about, and emulate those when they turn up. At present, no statistics are kept (it's all about speed), and logging only occurs at load time.​
MouSSE also does not check to see if your CPU already supports SSE4.2. If you install MouSSE on a newer system, it will load, but it won't ever do anything besides take up a bit of memory, because newer CPUs can handle the SSE4.2 instructions themselves, and MouSSE will silently bear the loneliness of a program that's never asked to actually do anything.​
* As of version 0.38, that's not entirely true - MouSSE does check for​
native SSE 4.2, and explicitly disables itself if the CPU natively supports it.​
At present, there's no simple way to make MouSSE completely unload itself​
in this situation, so it still takes up kernel memory space, but never does​
anything else.​

*** Why do I see "AAA.LoadEarly.MouSSE" in my kextstat output?
*** Why is the kext named "AAAMouSSE.kext"?

MacOS has a complex startup procedure. Since the main point of MouSSE is to allow AMD video drivers to work, MouSSE must load and initialize before the AMD drivers do. Part of the system initialization creates a dependency tree, and MouSSE tries to put itself as close to the top of that tree as possible. Outside of that tree, things are handled alphabetically - so, sticking "AAA" at the beginning of the kext name puts it at the top of the alphabetical list (much like finding "AAA-BestPlumbers" at the beginning of the Yellow Pages (does anyone even use the Yellow Pages any more?)). Ordinarily, the full name of the kext would include a right-to-left domain name, such as "com.apple.xyzzy" - but here again, by using a top-level domain named "AAA", MouSSE can push itself to the top of the alphabetical list. It's all just an effort to have MouSSE load and initialize before anything that might use an SSE4.2 instruction.​

*** Anything else?
If you're running newer AMD drivers under a newer OS on an old Mac, you're probably already running with SIP disabled. If not, sorry - this software requires SIP to be disabled.​
To simplify the IOKit interface, MouSSE has a small C++ wrapper, but all of the important code is written in assembly language (for speed).​
Just to repeat myself, USE THIS SOFTWARE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I've been using it daily on my Mac Pro 3,1 with an AMD Radeon RX 570 for several months without incident, but your mileage may vary. If you lose time, money, or your sanity because of flaws in this software, consider yourself forewarned.​
The semi-whimsical name came from elsewhere, but you can think of it as "Macs oughta understand SSE" (MouSSE) if you like. Or, if you're not fond of your sibling, "My outrageously ugly sister sickens everybody." Or, if you're a megalomaniac, "My objective ultimately should supersede everything." Whatever makes you happy.​
For the time being, this post will be the official repository for MouSSE, with updates posted as they occur. At some point in the future, I may move it to a separate host, which will be noted here. When referring people to MouSSE, please just link directly to this post, which will always have the latest version and information.​
*** How do I install it?
I haven't written a proper installer. For the time being, you need to do the installation manually. Because this forum doesn't allow uploads of .tgz files, the .tgz is zipped - meaning you'll have to uncompress/expand it twice. I suggest the following:​

1) expand the ZIP file, then the enclosed .TGZ file 2) open a terminal 2a) (only if you're on Catalina) sudo mount -uw / 3) cd {path to the .TGZ file}/MouSSE_RELEASE 4) sudo tar cf - ./AAAMouSSE.kext | (cd /System/Library/Extensions;tar xf -) 5) sudo kextcache -i /

(If you're installing to an alternate partition, prepend the root of that partition to both paths, e.g. /Volumes/OtherDisk/System/Library/Extensions and kextcache -i /Volumes/OtherDisk/)​
Third-party kext managers, such as KextBeast, should also work (but I haven't tested any of those).​

Hopefully, one or more of the MacOS patch authors will choose to include this in their package, which will simplify installation and removal.​

*** How to I uninstall it?
Since MouSSE isn't the sort of thing you'll probably install and uninstall regularly, I also haven't bothered creating an uninstall script. To uninstall MouSSE on the current running system, just do the following:​

1) open a terminal 1a) (only if you're on Catalina) sudo mount -uw / 2) type "cd /System/Library/Extensions" (without the quotes), press ENTER 3) type "sudo rm -rf AAAMouSSE.kext" (without the quotes), press ENTER 4) type "sudo kextcache -i /" (without the quotes), press ENTER 5) reboot

(To uninstall MouSSE from an alternative disk/partition, change the path in steps 2 and 4 to include the leading volume information, e.g. "cd /Volumes/MyOtherMacOSinstallation/System/Library/Extensions" and "kextcache -i /Volumes/MyOtherMacOSinstallation/")​

Just to be clear, if you load the kext manually (via kextload or kextutil), you can safely unload it and it will clean up after itself.​

*** OK, I installed MouSSE, but now my new AMD video card is misbehaving...
The most common problems occur if you've previously installed patches to make legacy video cards work. If those patches are installed, MacOS can get confused about which display to use, which framebuffer to use for which display, etc. If you're experiencing problems with a supported modern AMD video card and you still have those patches installed, you'll need to remove them (which unfortunately, in most cases, involves reinstalling the OS). Using a legacy video card (to see the MacOS boot screen) and a modern AMD video card simultaneously, without the "legacy video" patches, is a hit-and-miss proposition - some combinations work some of the time, some don't work at all. While it would be nice to have the "best of both worlds" (visible boot screen and modern GPU acceleration), your best bet is to keep the legacy card on a nearby shelf and only use it when necessary.​
If you're having problems but don't have any legacy video patches installed, please try contacting the author on the MacRumors forum. (I also lurk on the "MacOS * on Unsupported Macs" threads, if you'd rather try me there.)​
(As an aside, if you want to change your setup so you can see boot screens on a video card lacking a Mac EFI ROM, check out this post - it works very well.)​

*** I have a Penryn CPU, but I'm not using a Metal AMD card or running World of Warcraft. Should I install MouSSE?
The short answer is "no." If your system is running OK, and you're not planning to upgrade your video card to a modern AMD model, and/or you're not planning to run any software that requires SSE4.2, then installing MouSSE will just eat up some kernel memory and not provide you any real benefit.​

VERSION HISTORY:
v0.20 - 15 Aug 2019 - First version released into the wild.
v0.30 - 12 Sep 2019 - Tweaks to allow installation from El Capitan onward
v0.32 - 20 Sep 2019 - Capture of illegal opcode data in XMM15/R15
v0.35 - 07 Oct 2019 - Added more initialization diagnostics
v0.38 - 17 Oct 2019 - Added more logging, "magic" opcode detection
Hi there, can someone help me with a step by step guide to loading the SSE4.2 Emulator as I am new to Terminal,
I have a Mac Pro 3,1 2008 64GB memory 250gb SSD 500HD with a AMD Radeon R9 280 3gig graphics card Flashed .
Won't load anything but El captain, Really need someone to Guide me through it.

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
The simplest path depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you're staying with El Capitan, it's unlikely that MouSSE will benefit you (unless you have a specific app that requires it). If you're looking to upgrade, the @dosdude1 patchers for Mojave and Catalina have included MouSSE since last October; letting the patcher do the work for you is simpler and less error-prone than typing a bunch of shell commands.

The manual installation instructions for MouSSE are in the post you quoted. My suggestion is to just use a @dosdude1 patcher. If you can't use a @dosdude1 patcher for some reason, and the quoted MouSSE installation instructions aren't clear, let me know and I'll try to step you through it.

Link: all the @dosdude1 patchers

Link: the Catalina on Unsupported Macs thread

Link: Mojave on Unsupported Macs thread

Jason T.

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2020
hi folks -
This mod is a little above my pay grade but figured I'd give it a shot. I'm running a:

Radeon RX 560 4 GB
20GB memory

And I am noticing considerable lag in finder and elsewhere. And the ram usage on the card is 75% at times. I feel like I've stepped backward not forward. Bios is updated to latest (Mojave installer did that.).

I tried running the install of the SSE fix above and got the following:

Sweetness:Users jason$ cd /MouSSE_RELEASE

Sweetness:MouSSE_RELEASE jason$ sudo tar cf - ./AAAMouSSE.kext | (cd /System/Library/Extensions;tar xf -)

./._AAAMouSSE.kext.Hm28vI: Can't create '._AAAMouSSE.kext.Hm28vI'

./AAAMouSSE.kext/: Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext'

./AAAMouSSE.kext/._Contents.7Qv5GA: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext/._Contents.7Qv5GA'

./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents'

./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/.__CodeSignature.5wseXI: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/.__CodeSignature.5wseXI'

./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature'

./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/._MacOS.VcTjMD: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/._MacOS.VcTjMD'

./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/MacOS/: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/MacOS'

./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/._Info.plist.Bsrmv9: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/._Info.plist.Bsrmv9'

./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/Info.plist: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/Info.plist'

./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/MacOS/._MouSSE.bmiPwj: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/MacOS/._MouSSE.bmiPwj'

./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/MacOS/MouSSE: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/MacOS/MouSSE'

./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/._CodeResources.c6GIIx: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/._CodeResources.c6GIIx'

./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources: Failed to create dir 'AAAMouSSE.kext'Can't create 'AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources'

tar: copyfile unpack (./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources) failed: No such file or directory

tar: copyfile unpack (./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/MacOS/MouSSE) failed: No such file or directory

tar: copyfile unpack (./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/Info.plist) failed: No such file or directory

tar: copyfile unpack (./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/MacOS) failed: No such file or directory

tar: copyfile unpack (./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature) failed: No such file or directory

tar: copyfile unpack (./AAAMouSSE.kext/Contents) failed: No such file or directory

tar: copyfile unpack (./AAAMouSSE.kext) failed: No such file or directory

tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.

Sorry so many line spaces.

Any help appreciated.

Jason

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
hi folks -
This mod is a little above my pay grade but figured I'd give it a shot. I'm running a:

Radeon RX 560 4 GB
20GB memory

And I am noticing considerable lag in finder and elsewhere. And the ram usage on the card is 75% at times. I feel like I've stepped backward not forward. Bios is updated to latest (Mojave installer did that.).

I tried running the install of the SSE fix above and got the following:

Sorry so many line spaces.

Any help appreciated.

Jason
MP5,1 already supports SSE4.2…

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
MP5,1 already supports SSE4.2…
As Alex points out, MouSSE is only intended for systems that lack SSE 4.2 support (MP3,1 and possibly its contemporaries). It can't do anything helpful for your MP5,1, and could potentially get in the way or cause other issues. There is no point in installing MouSSE on any Mac Pro newer than a 3,1. (Bolded for future reference by others who may find their way here.)

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
As Alex points out, MouSSE is only intended for systems that lack SSE 4.2 support (MP3,1 and possibly its contemporaries). It can't do anything helpful for your MP5,1, and could potentially get in the way or cause other issues. There is no point in installing MouSSE on any Mac Pro newer than a 3,1. (Bolded for future reference by others who may find their way here.)
You should add it to the first post, so no one less knowledgeable do the same again.

Reactions: Syncretic

ryan42

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2003
Near Houston, TX
I'm running MouSSE with 10.15.3 on a MacPro3,1 with a RX 580 and have some graphical glitches. The most easily reproducible is that attempting to stream from Twitch.TV in the Firefox browser consistently crashes the whole machine without writing a panic log or showing any messages.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I'm running MouSSE with 10.15.3 on a MacPro3,1 with a RX 580 and have some graphical glitches. The most easily reproducible is that attempting to stream from Twitch.TV in the Firefox browser consistently crashes the whole machine without writing a panic log or showing any messages.
Firefox bugzilla has a enormous thread about X4000 driver causing Firefox crashes. FF developers recently asked several Apple devs on Twitter for helping escalating the issue on radar.

Maybe your problem is not related to MouSSE.

ryan42

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2003
Near Houston, TX
Possibly, however when I switch to a GTX 680 and unload the AAAMouSSE.kext, I get no crash. I get the same crash with the GTX 680 and AAAMouSSE.kext loaded as with the RX 580 (for which I have to have the kext loaded).

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
Possibly, however when I switch to a GTX 680 and unload the AAAMouSSE.kext, I get no crash. I get the same crash with the GTX 680 and AAAMouSSE.kext loaded as with the RX 580 (for which I have to have the kext loaded).
I can't reproduce the problem with streaming Twitch.TV in Firefox. However, I've had a few folks beta testing a new version of MouSSE that should solve some longstanding stability issues. If you're interested in trying a beta version to see if it helps, drop me a PM (or reply here and I'll PM it to you).

streak8047

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2019
MouSSE (Limited SSE4.2 Emulator) Public Release
Current version: 0.38 (19 October 2019)
When referring folks to MouSSE, please just link directly to this post, which will always contain the latest version & info.

EDIT (13 November 2019): If your system does not contain a Metal AMD GPU, you should not install MouSSE. There are several reported instances of instability in non-AMD-GPU systems, with no clear cause yet identified. Instructions on how to uninstall MouSSE appear in this post (see below).

This software has been tested on various hardware and software configurations, and it seems to be stable enough to release from beta. Please provide any feedback you have, positive or negative, success or failure, in this thread or via direct message to me.

*** IMPORTANT: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
This software is provided as-is, without any warranty whatsoever. There is no reason it should cause any problems, but if things go wrong, they're your responsibility. It has been tested and benchmarked on various systems and various versions of MacOS, but there are no guarantees that it will work on any given system or version of MacOS. The author is not responsible for any losses of time, money, hair, memory, peace of mind, car keys, or television remote controls related in any way to the use of this software.​
(And now, after that ringing endorsement...)​

*** What is it?
Newer AMD Mac video drivers use some SSE 4.2 instructions. Older CPUs (Penryn, Harpertown, and earlier) don't support those instructions. Older Mac Pro systems (such as the Mac Pro 3,1) use those older CPUs - therefore, the new AMD drivers won't work in those systems. MouSSE is a limited SSE4.2 emulator that allows those old CPUs to use the newer AMD drivers. While its primary focus has always been making the AMD drivers work, it also appears to allow World of Warcraft to run on a Mac Pro 3,1 regardless of whether or not AMD drivers are in use.​

In theory, depending upon what you're trying to accomplish, this emulator could prove useful on any Mac system with a Penryn/Harpertown/Wolfdale CPU. These include:​
Mac Pro 3,1 (Early 2008)​
Xserve 2,1 (Early 2008)​
MacBook Pro 4,1 (Early 2008)​
MacBook 4,1 (Early 2008)​
MacBook 7,1 (Mid-2010)​
MacBook Air 2,1 (October 2008)​
MacBook Air 3,1 (October 2010) (11")​
MacBook Air 3,2 (October 2010) (13")​
iMac 8,1 (April 2008)​
iMac 9,1 (March 2009)​
iMac 10,1 (October 2009) (with Core2 Duo, not i5)​
Mac Mini 3,1 (March 2009, October 2009)​
Mac Mini 4,1 (Mid 2010) (aka Mac Mini Server)​
Not all of these have been tested; your mileage may vary. In addition, CPUs even older than Penryn could utilize this emulator; however, since they lack SSE4.1, adding only limited SSE4.2 would probably be of little or no benefit. IMPORTANT: If you don't have one of those systems - and, in particular, if you have a newer system (such as a Mac Pro 4,1 or 5,1) - you should not install MouSSE. It can't do anything useful for those systems, and could potentially get in the way or cause other issues.

I personally have tested this on MacOS 10.13-10.15 (High Sierra, Mojave, and the release version of Catalina). Others report that it loads on 10.11-10.12 (El Capitan and Sierra), although the AMD drivers on those do not seem to require emulation.​

*** What does it do?
MouSSE traps illegal instructions in both privileged (kernel) mode and unprivileged (user) mode, and emulates the POPCNT and PCMPGTQ instructions. As of this writing, those two instructions are the only problematic ones used in the AMD drivers. (And, apparently, the only two currently used in World of Warcraft.)​
MouSSE is fully reentrant, and automatically runs on all CPUs/cores/threads.​

*** What does it NOT do?
At this time, MouSSE does not implement any SSE4.2 instructions other than POPCNT and PCMPGTQ. If there is sufficient demand, a future version may include support for additional SSE4.2 (or other) instructions. If MouSSE encounters an unsupported instruction, it passes control to MacOS, and you will see the same error handling you'd see if MouSSE was not installed (usually, an "Illegal instruction" message and program termination).​
* As of version 0.32, MouSSE no longer behaves transparently when an​
unsupported instruction is encountered. In order to assist troubleshooting,​
MouSSE loads the 16 bytes at the illegal opcode into XMM15, and the first​
8 bytes of that into R15. Both registers are used because while 16 bytes​
provides all the context necessary for analysis, some crash dumps do not​
include the XMM registers, so R15 is also loaded (8 bytes is better than​
nothing). This violates the transparency principle, but given that the​
"illegal opcode" error is generally fatal, the effect is negligible. If you​
know of a situation where this is problematic, please let me know so I can​
devise an alternative.​
* As of version 0.38, a "magic" illegal opcode is handled: the​
normally-illegal instruction 3f 55 44 ("?UD") returns "MouSSE42" in RAX,​
as a way to test that MouSSE is loaded and active. Without MouSSE running,​
that instruction will throw a #UD exception on any system, new or old.​

Aside from whatever IOKit uses at startup, MouSSE uses no dynamically allocated memory, so there's no chance of a memory leak. MouSSE does not create any processes; it's simply an extension of the kernel.​
MouSSE doesn't read or write any files, or access any networks, or touch any other devices. All it does is watch for the instructions it knows about, and emulate those when they turn up. At present, no statistics are kept (it's all about speed), and logging only occurs at load time.​
MouSSE also does not check to see if your CPU already supports SSE4.2. If you install MouSSE on a newer system, it will load, but it won't ever do anything besides take up a bit of memory, because newer CPUs can handle the SSE4.2 instructions themselves, and MouSSE will silently bear the loneliness of a program that's never asked to actually do anything.​
* As of version 0.38, that's not entirely true - MouSSE does check for​
native SSE 4.2, and explicitly disables itself if the CPU natively supports it.​
At present, there's no simple way to make MouSSE completely unload itself​
in this situation, so it still takes up kernel memory space, but never does​
anything else.​

*** Why do I see "AAA.LoadEarly.MouSSE" in my kextstat output?
*** Why is the kext named "AAAMouSSE.kext"?

MacOS has a complex startup procedure. Since the main point of MouSSE is to allow AMD video drivers to work, MouSSE must load and initialize before the AMD drivers do. Part of the system initialization creates a dependency tree, and MouSSE tries to put itself as close to the top of that tree as possible. Outside of that tree, things are handled alphabetically - so, sticking "AAA" at the beginning of the kext name puts it at the top of the alphabetical list (much like finding "AAA-BestPlumbers" at the beginning of the Yellow Pages (does anyone even use the Yellow Pages any more?)). Ordinarily, the full name of the kext would include a right-to-left domain name, such as "com.apple.xyzzy" - but here again, by using a top-level domain named "AAA", MouSSE can push itself to the top of the alphabetical list. It's all just an effort to have MouSSE load and initialize before anything that might use an SSE4.2 instruction.​

*** Anything else?
If you're running newer AMD drivers under a newer OS on an old Mac, you're probably already running with SIP disabled. If not, sorry - this software requires SIP to be disabled.​
To simplify the IOKit interface, MouSSE has a small C++ wrapper, but all of the important code is written in assembly language (for speed).​
Just to repeat myself, USE THIS SOFTWARE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I've been using it daily on my Mac Pro 3,1 with an AMD Radeon RX 570 for several months without incident, but your mileage may vary. If you lose time, money, or your sanity because of flaws in this software, consider yourself forewarned.​
The semi-whimsical name came from elsewhere, but you can think of it as "Macs oughta understand SSE" (MouSSE) if you like. Or, if you're not fond of your sibling, "My outrageously ugly sister sickens everybody." Or, if you're a megalomaniac, "My objective ultimately should supersede everything." Whatever makes you happy.​
For the time being, this post will be the official repository for MouSSE, with updates posted as they occur. At some point in the future, I may move it to a separate host, which will be noted here. When referring people to MouSSE, please just link directly to this post, which will always have the latest version and information.​
*** How do I install it?
I haven't written a proper installer. For the time being, you need to do the installation manually. Because this forum doesn't allow uploads of .tgz files, the .tgz is zipped - meaning you'll have to uncompress/expand it twice. I suggest the following:​

1) expand the ZIP file, then the enclosed .TGZ file 2) open a terminal 2a) (only if you're on Catalina) sudo mount -uw / 3) cd {path to the .TGZ file}/MouSSE_RELEASE 4) sudo tar cf - ./AAAMouSSE.kext | (cd /System/Library/Extensions;tar xf -) 5) sudo kextcache -i /

(If you're installing to an alternate partition, prepend the root of that partition to both paths, e.g. /Volumes/OtherDisk/System/Library/Extensions and kextcache -i /Volumes/OtherDisk/)​
Third-party kext managers, such as KextBeast, should also work (but I haven't tested any of those).​

Hopefully, one or more of the MacOS patch authors will choose to include this in their package, which will simplify installation and removal.​

*** How to I uninstall it?
Since MouSSE isn't the sort of thing you'll probably install and uninstall regularly, I also haven't bothered creating an uninstall script. To uninstall MouSSE on the current running system, just do the following:​

1) open a terminal 1a) (only if you're on Catalina) sudo mount -uw / 2) type "cd /System/Library/Extensions" (without the quotes), press ENTER 3) type "sudo rm -rf AAAMouSSE.kext" (without the quotes), press ENTER 4) type "sudo kextcache -i /" (without the quotes), press ENTER 5) reboot

(To uninstall MouSSE from an alternative disk/partition, change the path in steps 2 and 4 to include the leading volume information, e.g. "cd /Volumes/MyOtherMacOSinstallation/System/Library/Extensions" and "kextcache -i /Volumes/MyOtherMacOSinstallation/")​

Just to be clear, if you load the kext manually (via kextload or kextutil), you can safely unload it and it will clean up after itself.​

*** OK, I installed MouSSE, but now my new AMD video card is misbehaving...
The most common problems occur if you've previously installed patches to make legacy video cards work. If those patches are installed, MacOS can get confused about which display to use, which framebuffer to use for which display, etc. If you're experiencing problems with a supported modern AMD video card and you still have those patches installed, you'll need to remove them (which unfortunately, in most cases, involves reinstalling the OS). Using a legacy video card (to see the MacOS boot screen) and a modern AMD video card simultaneously, without the "legacy video" patches, is a hit-and-miss proposition - some combinations work some of the time, some don't work at all. While it would be nice to have the "best of both worlds" (visible boot screen and modern GPU acceleration), your best bet is to keep the legacy card on a nearby shelf and only use it when necessary.​
If you're having problems but don't have any legacy video patches installed, please try contacting the author on the MacRumors forum. (I also lurk on the "MacOS * on Unsupported Macs" threads, if you'd rather try me there.)​
(As an aside, if you want to change your setup so you can see boot screens on a video card lacking a Mac EFI ROM, check out this post - it works very well.)​

*** I have a Penryn CPU, but I'm not using a Metal AMD card or running World of Warcraft. Should I install MouSSE?
The short answer is "no." If your system is running OK, and you're not planning to upgrade your video card to a modern AMD model, and/or you're not planning to run any software that requires SSE4.2, then installing MouSSE will just eat up some kernel memory and not provide you any real benefit.​

VERSION HISTORY:
v0.20 - 15 Aug 2019 - First version released into the wild.
v0.30 - 12 Sep 2019 - Tweaks to allow installation from El Capitan onward
v0.32 - 20 Sep 2019 - Capture of illegal opcode data in XMM15/R15
v0.35 - 07 Oct 2019 - Added more initialization diagnostics
v0.38 - 17 Oct 2019 - Added more logging, "magic" opcode detection
Can use any kext installer(Kext Wizard) to install AAAMouSSE.kext

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Can use any kext installer(Kext Wizard) to install AAAMouSSE.kext
Please don't quote the entire first post. Yes you can install the kext anyway you like. You don't even need to install it. You could load it temporarily, run some tests, then unload it. I guess it does need to be installed if you use an AMD graphics card though.

Reactions: streak8047

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
There is a new version of MouSSE (v0.92) attached to the first post of this thread. I'm posting a separate message here so that anyone following this thread will get a notification. @dosdude1 and @0403979 - you might want to give the new version a quick sanity-test, then update your respective patchers prior to your next release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.