Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
What's the upgrade process? Just overwrite the previous and reboot?
Correct, with a kextcache -i / between the overwrite and the reboot. I have updated the first post in the thread to include this information.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
I presume it is not normal to have a black screen with a blinking arrow cursor top left on reboot for 5 mins and counting.
[automerge]1588794393[/automerge]
OK. Stalls on Stage 2 of the boot process.

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
The black screen is a feature, not a bug! ;-)

OK, I'm assuming the following:
1) You only have one copy of MouSSE installed (i.e. not one in /S/L/E and another one in /L/E)
2) You performed a successful kernel relink (kextcache -i /) after installing MouSSE, prior to reboot

Are you able to boot to recovery, or a different copy of MacOS, and see if any logs are being generated? A blinking arrow cursor on a black screen usually means WindowServer is repeatedly crashing in the background, which in turn usually means MouSSE isn't loaded. Are you running Catalina, Mojave, or something else? Do you have a non-AMD video card that you could swap in (if needed) to check on logs and such?

timmykm721

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2020
Updated to 0.92 from 0.38. It booted perfectly on 10.14.6. Will report back if any issue arises. Thanks for your work!! Really appreciated.

Reactions: Syncretic

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Have only one installed, did the kext cache thing and on Mojave.

I think there might be a conflict with Refind as it seems to work when booting directly to the disk.

Anyway, rolling back to the previous from CCC for now.

Will try to figure it out later as can't debug right now.

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
Have only one installed, did the kext cache thing and on Mojave.

I think there might be a conflict with Refind as it seems to work when booting directly to the disk.

Anyway, rolling back to the previous from CCC for now.

Will try to figure it out later as can't debug right now.
FWIW, I'm running Refind on a MP3,1 (no OpenCore yet), both Mojave and Catalina, so I don't think there's a direct conflict there. Let me know if I can help.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Back on previous and booting fine now. Will look into it further later.
Given that it needs to run early, would it as it should if injected via OpenCore instead of installing?
I chainload OpenCore from Refind.

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
I have never tried injecting it from elsewhere (OpenCore/Clover/other), so I don't know if that will work or not. Having it linked into the kernel is normally sufficient to get it loaded before the AMD driver needs it, so injection isn't strictly necessary. (If you decide to try injecting it, I'll be curious to hear how - or if - it works).

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I haven't done much testing yet, but I did try it in Catalina on my MacPro3,1. Without it, World of Warcraft.app crashes at launch. With it, it loads and plays. I'm using a GTX 680. There is some strange issue with text drawing though.

View attachment 870983
The text drawing problem in WoW is now fixed with 0.92 of MouSSE (I guess that means earlier versions were not emulating instructions 100% correctly). WoW is playable in 10.12 Sierra, 10.13 High Sierra, and 10.14 Mojave.

Reactions: startergo

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
MouSSE hasn't worked with 10.11 El Capitan since version 0.35. WoW has extreme graphics glitches in that version of macOS so I don't think an updated MouSSE would help (WoW mentions that graphics drivers in 10.12 Sierra are old but it is still very playable). Anyone know a reason to have MouSSE work in El Capitan except that El Capitan was the last supported version of macOS that supports MacPro3,1?

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
OK. Would have a look at things over the weekend.

BTW, which version of Refind are you using? is it the one from here? https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/boot-menus-for-graphics-output-protocol.2089181/
I used the method (and version) in this post, and I haven't updated it since I got it working last October ("if it ain't broke, don't fix it"). I don't know offhand what version it is; I'll have a look the next time I reboot.

MouSSE hasn't worked with 10.11 El Capitan since version 0.35.
I will remove the reference to El Capitan in the first post of this thread.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Tried and failed miserably to install a few times and had to roll back each time. Finally decided to just use kextbeast to install while the previous was active and all good.

Thanks for the great work!

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I keep a script and run it when there's an update. Works on all macOS versions (SIP disabled):
Code:
# Copy newest version to /System/Library/Extensions and load
cd /Volumes/Updates/Misc_Software/MouSSE/MouSSE_0.92_RELEASE # for Sierra and later
#cd /Volumes/Updates/Misc_Software/MouSSE/MouSSE_0.35 # for ElCapitan
mount | grep ' on / ' | grep 'read-only' && sudo mount -uw /
kextstat | grep AAA.LoadEarly.MouSSE && sudo kextunload -b AAA.LoadEarly.MouSSE
[[ -d /AAAMouSSE.kext ]] && sudo rm -R /AAAMouSSE.kext
sudo cp -R *.kext /AAAMouSSE.kext
cd /
sudo chown -R root:wheel AAAMouSSE.kext
sudo find AAAMouSSE.kext -type d -exec /bin/chmod 0755 {} \;
sudo find AAAMouSSE.kext -type f -exec /bin/chmod 0644 {} \;
[[ -d /System/Library/Extensions/AAAMouSSE.kext ]] && sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/AAAMouSSE.kext
[[ -d        /Library/Extensions/AAAMouSSE.kext ]] && sudo rm -R        /Library/Extensions/AAAMouSSE.kext
sudo mv AAAMouSSE.kext /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextload -v 6 /System/Library/Extensions/AAAMouSSE.kext
kextstat | grep AAA.LoadEarly.MouSSE
sudo kextcache -i /
echo "done"

Reactions: Dayo

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
I keep a script and run it when there's an update. Works on all macOS versions (SIP disabled):

Nice. Will just use KextBeast in my case.
BTW, I thought this was supposed to go into L/E and not S/L/E. Does it make a difference? I note Dosdude puts it in L/E

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
BTW, I thought this was supposed to go into L/E and not S/L/E. Does it make a difference? I note Dosdude puts it in L/E
It doesn't much matter. I wrote MouSSE under High Sierra, and ended up needing to use /S/L/E for reasons I've since forgotten, so that started out as the preferred location. /L/E works just fine, and now that Catalina makes the root filesystem read-only, it's simpler to just use /L/E.

BTW, my Refind version shows as 0.10.3+GOPScreen+MemLog.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
BTW, Getting this from the DosDude Patcher after the update:
OverPatch.png

Been selecting "Skip for Now" as not sure whether the "Don't Remind" option is specific to the particular patch or whether it will stop notifications on all patches.

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
Both dosdude1 and 0403979 acknowledged the new version of MouSSE, but I have no idea if it's been incorporated into either of their patchers yet, or if dosdude1's patch updater server knows about it. It'll show up sooner or later.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
BTW, Getting this from the DosDude Patcher after the update:
View attachment 913027

Been selecting "Skip for Now" as not sure whether the "Don't Remind" option is specific to the particular patch or whether it will stop notifications on all patches.
I clicked "Don't Remind Me Again". That option appears to stop all checks though (changes ~/Library/Preferences/com.dosdude1.Patch-Updater.plist ). Not just the one for the SSE4.1 patch (installed patches listed at /Library/Application Support/macOS Catalina Patcher/installedPatches.plist )

There doesn't seem to be an option to undo the option. I guess you can edit the file and change checkPatchIntegrity back to true?

There doesn't seem to be an option to uninstall a patch. To do that you need to understand how a patch is installed by looking at the code or scripts. There is usually two versions of a patch - one for the post installer (in code) and one for the Patch Updater (scripts). For the post installer, look at source code in github. For the patch updater, updates are downloaded from dosdude's website. see #17,966.

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
For what it’s worth I use OpenCore to inject this kext and have not encountered any issues with that.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
For what it’s worth I use OpenCore to inject this kext and have not encountered any issues with that.
The first time you booted with this, DosDude Patch Updater would have flagged the absence of the default version (I tried this a while ago and went back to just installing) and you probably clicked "Don't Remind Me Again".

From @joevt findings, this may have switched all such notifications off ... even for other components.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.