Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
Hello Syncretic:

I trust you are well. Am I understanding that by downloading your patch I can now install Radeon Cards into my Macpro 3,1 running Mojave without a problem? If so, do I just download your script first, remove my old card, install the new card, and then restart my computer?

Please advise when you have a moment.

Thank you.
Sorry for the late response, I've been away.

Not all Radeon cards need SSE4.2, only the newer ones (I'm not sure exactly which cards are affected). If you're using the DosDude patcher to install MacOS, it will install MouSSE for you (that's the simplest way). If you want to install it manually, follow the instructions in the first post of this thread. You'll need to install MouSSE before you switch video cards (i.e. while your old card is still in the system).

What video card are you planning to install? MouSSE will only help if the card is supported by the MacOS driver.

cloober2099

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2020
Syncretic:

Thank you for your response and no need to apologize since we all get busy at times. Turns out that I did buy a newer RADEON RX 580 8GB and installed it on my computer. I am at a loss but it works amazingly well eventhough I do not have a boot screen at all. Performance is great and editing is zipping on just fine. I still downloaded the SSE4.2 eventhough it wasnt not for that series of cards that I bought but I just wanted to be safe instead of sorry but that was just out of fear of screwing my system by installing the new card. Whether the SSE4.2 helped or not(probably not) the card is working excellently. It makes me wonder why I did not do it before.

Again, thank you for responding back and helping me who since I am not too computer savvy.

Happy Holidays and stay safe as well as your family.

best,

Gabe

YewTree

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2020
Hi, Syncretic, it seems Photoshop 2021 won't run — at all — on 3,1 MPs because of the lack of SSE 4.2 in the old CPU. Several of us have posted on the Adobe forums (with both Radeon and Nvidia cards, and Mojave and Catalina running), and this has been the response from the team there.

Do you know anything about this? Is it possible that your May patch might help? Should I just install it? Or is Photoshop looking for more instructions than this would provide?

If this is beyond your remit, not to worry. But I ask here with hope in my heart!

(I myself am running a flashed Nvidia GeForce GTX 770.)

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
Hi, Syncretic, it seems Photoshop 2021 won't run — at all — on 3,1 MPs because of the lack of SSE 4.2 in the old CPU. Several of us have posted on the Adobe forums (with both Radeon and Nvidia cards, and Mojave and Catalina running), and this has been the response from the team there.

Do you know anything about this? Is it possible that your May patch might help? Should I just install it? Or is Photoshop looking for more instructions than this would provide?

If this is beyond your remit, not to worry. But I ask here with hope in my heart!

Based on an exchange I had with another user, I doubt the current version of MouSSE will be useful for Photoshop 2021. A future version might help (or not), but I'm very busy right now with other things, so it could be months before there's another version of MouSSE released.

YewTree

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2020
Thank you, Syncretic. Good to know where we stand. Your other thread hints at the future for old machines like ours.

As you say, a shame that perfectly good hardware should gradually lose its usefulness, but then again it'd be a shame if we couldn't have shiny things because we had to keep providing for hardware that couldn't support it.

All the best with everything.

cloober2099

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2020
Based on an exchange I had with another user, I doubt the current version of MouSSE will be useful for Photoshop 2021. A future version might help (or not), but I'm very busy right now with other things, so it could be months before there's another version of MouSSE released.

Yewtree:

Excuse my ignorance here but wasnt a sse 4.2 released about 5 months ago on machines running a patched (dosdude) 3,1 with Mojave. I downloaded it about a week ago to make a video card compatible now...

YewTree

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2020
I don’t know that I’m much ahead of you on this, cloober2099, but as I understand it, Syncretic has created a patch that covers a few SSE4.2 calls for your sort of use case (getting a video card to work), but it won’t help those of us wanting to run the latest Photoshop 2021. (dosdude's work incorporates Syncretic’s code, I believe.)

Part of the problem is that Photoshop looks for SSE4.2 support from the CPU, and Syncretic’s code is not built to intercept that query. So Photoshop just fails. But even if Syncretic’s patch did tell Photoshop that SSE4.2 is supported, it may not cover all the SSE4.2 features that Photoshop might call on.

Hope I’ve got this right!

cloober2099

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2020
I don’t know that I’m much ahead of you on this, cloober2099, but as I understand it, Syncretic has created a patch that covers a few SSE4.2 calls for your sort of use case (getting a video card to work), but it won’t help those of us wanting to run the latest Photoshop 2021. (dosdude's work incorporates Syncretic’s code, I believe.)

Part of the problem is that Photoshop looks for SSE4.2 support from the CPU, and Syncretic’s code is not built to intercept that query. So Photoshop just fails. But even if Syncretic’s patch did tell Photoshop that SSE4.2 is supported, it may not cover all the SSE4.2 features that Photoshop might call on.

Hope I’ve got this right!
Ahhhh.... I understand now... Thank you for educating me on this as I did not know but was just trying to help with what little I know about these kinds of things.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018

If you use OpenCore, you can set it to tell Photoshop that you have SSE4.2 support so that Photoshop hopefully then proceeds with sending the commands. If so, MouSSE can then intercept those commands (if not one that is not covered by MouSSE) and work as usual.

You can install MyBootMgr which will configure things for you. If you already have OpenCore and don't want to change your structure, activate the SSE4.2 spoofing with the following settings:

XML:
<key>Cpuid1Data</key>
<data>AAAAAAAAAAAAAJAAAAAAAA==</data>
<key>Cpuid1Mask</key>
<data>AAAAAAAAAAAAAJAAAAAAAA==</data>

Last edited:

lhassan

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
Hello! I currently run a Mac Pro 3,1 and the Radeon RX580. I have the Dos Dude Mojave installed and it was working fine. (No boot screen or hw acceleration though)

i tried to update the mousse kext to the 0.93 by dragging it into the library/extensions folder, then rebuilding the kext cache but now the mac is just a black screen when jt boots up.

no idea what I’ve done. Not sure i have done the kext upgrade correctly. Just trying to get the the hw acceleration to work but its impossible.

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
Hello! I currently run a Mac Pro 3,1 and the Radeon RX580. I have the Dos Dude Mojave installed and it was working fine. (No boot screen or hw acceleration though)

i tried to update the mousse kext to the 0.93 by dragging it into the library/extensions folder, then rebuilding the kext cache but now the mac is just a black screen when jt boots up.

no idea what I’ve done. Not sure i have done the kext upgrade correctly. Just trying to get the the hw acceleration to work but its impossible.
By "No hw acceleration," do you mean no H.264/HEVC hardware acceleration, or just standard MacOS GUI acceleration? If it's the latter, you might have the Dosdude Legacy Video patch installed, which supports old graphics cards but does not support acceleration in newer cards. The only way to uninstall that patch is to reinstall MacOS and un-check the Legacy Video patch in the Dosdude patcher/installer.

I never use the GUI to manipulate system files (such as kexts), so I have no idea what might have happened when you dragged the new MouSSE version into L/E. You might want to check both L/E and S/L/E to make sure you don't have two copies installed. If you do end up reinstalling MacOS to remove the Legacy Video patch, the current version of the Dosdude installer will install the latest version of MouSSE.

lhassan

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
Yes no H.264/HEVC hardware acceleration. The Apple GUI works great.

i’m going to put in an old Graphics card and re-install the 4.2 patch with the dos dude updater. If not, I will re-install the OS.

Not sure how to get the H.264 hardware acceleration to work. I tried the method on this thread but I kept getting errors in the terminal when trying to manually install. Do you know if it possible to use a kext utility/app to update the MouSSE 4.2 from the 0.91 in the Dosdude patch to the 0.93 latest version. I heard that can make the h.264 hw acceleration work?

lhassan

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
UPDATE: I put the old HD in and re-installed the 4.2 patcher with the dos dude patcher and it's all working fine. Wil attempt again soon to try and get the h.264 hardware acceleration to work.

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
Yes no H.264/HEVC hardware acceleration. The Apple GUI works great.

i’m going to put in an old Graphics card and re-install the 4.2 patch with the dos dude updater. If not, I will re-install the OS.

Not sure how to get the H.264 hardware acceleration to work. I tried the method on this thread but I kept getting errors in the terminal when trying to manually install. Do you know if it possible to use a kext utility/app to update the MouSSE 4.2 from the 0.91 in the Dosdude patch to the 0.93 latest version. I heard that can make the h.264 hw acceleration work?
UPDATE: I put the old HD in and re-installed the 4.2 patcher with the dos dude patcher and it's all working fine. Wil attempt again soon to try and get the h.264 hardware acceleration to work.
Glad to hear it's working for you.

This is getting off-topic for this thread, but I got H.264 and HEVC acceleration working using this minimally-invasive method. (My quick reply in that thread said HEVC wasn't working, but it is now.) MouSSE doesn't directly affect H.264/HEVC acceleration, it just allows the basic AMD driver to function properly.

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
A co-worker reported another good use for MouSSE apart from all the gfx GPU driver stuff!

We found out that https-request related stuff does crash on some python scripts, even wget from https tends to crash on non-SSE4 CPUs. With MouSSE it all runs fine instead!
(We suspect that some OpenSSL homebrew stuff would have to be compiled for non-SSE4 CPUs as an alternative).

So, thanks again for that nifty piece of software, @Syncretic !

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
Just discovered this thread as I too tried running Photoshop 22.1 on my 2008 MP 3,1 running Catalina 10.15.7 with a Radeon 7950. Discovered that PS now calls for SSE 4.2 instructions from the CPU. Hopefully someone comes up with a workaround because my 3,1 is still going very strong. I'd hate to recycle this machine just because developers don't want to support perfectly functional legacy hardware.

1608684435391.png

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
Well, that didn't last long. PS2021 starts but when importing from Lightroom, it crashes with the following errors:

1608691609136.png

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
Perhaps it would if you faithfully follow the suggested implementation instructions.

If you still have issues afterwards, ping the author on that thread.
I did follow the instructions. I even reinstalled PS2021 after I noticed it crashing during editing. It works in that it starts and I can do a few things but when using neural filters or raw filters, the application crashes.

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
Was referring to this:
Oh yes, to clarify - I didn't have to clear PS2021 in CC because I had done that ahead of time. I then downloaded a new copy, and then proceed to copy the appropriate files to their relevant target folders.

Was Lumos the author? That's who I pinged but wasn't sure if he was the right person.

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013
I have a 3,1 with GTX680. I boot with the GOP enabled version of rEFInd. Mojave works just fine. Also Windows (non-UEFI) and Linux also run fine.
But I have a RX480, I would like to use.
But when I use it, I can boot up, see rEFInd. Windows and Linux still work, but Mojave boots up, is obviously running (next boot with GTX680 gives me the message, that something bad happened last time), but I have a black screen. I tried it with DosDude's patcher and with MouSSE. But both give me the same result. Anyone with an 3,1 had success with MouSSE?

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
I have a 3,1 with GTX680. I boot with the GOP enabled version of rEFInd. Mojave works just fine. Also Windows (non-UEFI) and Linux also run fine.
But I have a RX480, I would like to use.
But when I use it, I can boot up, see rEFInd. Windows and Linux still work, but Mojave boots up, is obviously running (next boot with GTX680 gives me the message, that something bad happened last time), but I have a black screen. I tried it with DosDude's patcher and with MouSSE. But both give me the same result. Anyone with an 3,1 had success with MouSSE?
MouSSE has over 7,000 users, so it's a reasonably-proven product. I assume "I tried it with DosDude's patcher" means you got the latest version of his patcher, and installed the SSE4.2 patch during installation (which installs MouSSE)? I assume that "and with MouSSE" means you installed MouSSE per the instructions in the first post of this thread (i.e. you linked it into the kernel)? When you get an error message, there is usually a "Report..." button in the window; if you click that, you'll be presented with a lot of information about what happened. Please copy/paste that information and post it here (inside a {code} or {spoiler} tag, if it's long).

If you're trying to boot with both the 680 and 480 installed at the same time, you're unlikely to succeed - AMD and Nvidia cards don't play well together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.