Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joker00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
My work is very dependent on Team.
Yes Teams runs, it's only written for Intel. You Tube TV will stop playing and I've had other problems when the Teams app is running.

I've now moved to run Team as an edge app....not perfect, but a lot better.

Anyone have other work arounds?

But seriously, why has MS provided Team as a universal already?

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
My work is very dependent on Team.
Yes Teams runs, it's only written for Intel. You Tube TV will stop playing and I've had other problems when the Teams app is running.

I've now moved to run Team as an edge app....not perfect, but a lot better.

Anyone have other work arounds?

But seriously, why has MS provided Team as a universal already?
How do you run it as an edge app?

jujoje

macrumors regular
May 17, 2009
You think teams is bad on the Mac, you should try it on Linux :D

Honestly can't understand how teams is so bad; have to use it every day, and MS seem to break something every few weeks (nothing like doing a presentation when MS have broken screen sharing 20 min before...).

Last edited:

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
I live inside Teams, heck we made migrations to support people working from just Teams directly in factories and warehouses to avoid installing 3rd party software and what not. Plus it's a central login using SSO and putting our enterprise apps there.

This is my day to day life having to deal with this crap.

1647937466586.png

It really really sucks, I tried switching to the Electron version that came out last week but did not see any difference.

I do hope they are updating it soon rather than late, but it's the one app alongside Citrix that I really need for my day to day life.

If you are interested in dropping a comment and vote go to

- Please create a native Mac client for M1 · Community (microsoft.com)

- Check on the performance of Teams on MacOS · Community (microsoft.com)

Sadly the PWA is not the same as the native Teams client if you need certain features.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Teams is pretty horrible on Windows too!

I suspect it was a quickly hacked together response to Slack, which then became more central to Office in 2020 onwards. Then Zoom became its big competitor.

I suspect that MS are having to make huge changes to both its infrastructure and features without breaking anything.

Not that I feel sorry for MS, this is a mess of their own making.

I just feel sorry for everyone who has to use it.

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London
I doubt the experience will change much when Team is Apple Silicon native, as depressing as that might be.
Ye kind of agree, but with Electron, non native means you are running Teams inside a Rosetta browser. Native means it will run inside a native browser, which isn't much better, but still should reduce amount of ram used.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
MS Teams is a poor piece of software. Microsoft was certainly not expected it to become so popular in a short period of time. The pandemic made it a must-have, although it is not ready for prime time. Microsoft is making some big changes to Teams and I expect it to become better soon enough. It is bad on Windows, terrible on Mac, and the interface could be a lot better.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
You think teams is bad on the Mac, you should try it on Linux :D

Honestly can't understand how teams is so bad; have to use it every day, and MS seem to break something every few weeks (nothing like doing a presentation when MS have broken screen sharing 20 min before...).
when my kids were remote learning last school year, all I had was a Linux laptop to give them for their Teams calls....Wow that was a horrid experience!
Teams is pretty bad. It's a total memory hog too. That said, its still quite early in the Apple Silicon transition. There is still a lot of software without native support.
You would expect a multibillion dollar company can transition their software in a timely manner especially when they're aiming for universal standardized software.

joker00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
So I use outlook for Mac with teams running on edge.

Anyone know how I could change outlook to join a teams meeting using edge? Outlook defaults to the teams app.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
You would expect a multibillion dollar company can transition their software in a timely manner especially when they're aiming for universal standardized software.
Well at least the MS Office team has fully native versions of their core apps. It was probably easy for them as they already had iOS versions and Windows for ARM version.

Reactions: BeefCake 15

ahurst

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2021
As someone who uses both Teams and Slack for work, I have to say it boggles my mind how much worse of an Electron app Teams is.

I mean, it’s a major offering from Microsoft and it doesn’t even have proper macOS notifications, only its weird metro-style purple things. Are they really unwilling to spend the day or two of developer time to make it work with the native API? Apart from the excessive resource usage, Slack feels like a proper native macOS app whereas Teams feels a lot more like a thin browser container around the Teams web app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.