Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
As someone who uses both Teams and Slack for work, I have to say it boggles my mind how much worse of an Electron app Teams is.

I mean, it’s a major offering from Microsoft and it doesn’t even have proper macOS notifications, only its weird metro-style purple things. Are they really unwilling to spend the day or two of developer time to make it work with the native API? Apart from the excessive resource usage, Slack feels like a proper native macOS app whereas Teams feels a lot more like a thin browser container around the Teams web app.
you can enable native notifications in settings, only for calls it uses their own. But yes, its a godawful app.

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
As someone who uses both Teams and Slack for work, I have to say it boggles my mind how much worse of an Electron app Teams is.

I mean, it’s a major offering from Microsoft and it doesn’t even have proper macOS notifications, only its weird metro-style purple things. Are they really unwilling to spend the day or two of developer time to make it work with the native API? Apart from the excessive resource usage, Slack feels like a proper native macOS app whereas Teams feels a lot more like a thin browser container around the Teams web app.
Yeah it feels like a PWA... but with even with worse performance somehow... It also boggles my mind because like I said every enterprise that is built around o365 uses Teams across the board as the main communications tool.. And it runs like garbage across the whole Mac lineup.

Back when I had the i9 16", the whole thing would go crazy if I joined a call. CPU usage spiking to like 90% and so.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
The Teams threads pop up from time to time and it gets me wondering how much of the performance comes down to institutional settings and the like. Teams is definitely not my favorite piece of software and it's not what I'd call optimized, but I use it heavily (video calls, virtual telephone for hours each day, messaging, some light file sharing) and it's fine. A bit more responsive on my Mac (Intel Mac that has a lot more resources than my desktop thin client).

Then again, I'm spending even more time using the absolute worst-performing implementation of Epic (electronic health record system) that I have ever seen. It's incredibly slow, so maybe Teams doesn't stand out like a sore thumb to me partly because my entire workflow cadence is filled with delays.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I love it when someone calls me, I hear the sound, and I can't take the call because the stupid little popup window is rendered outside my screen.

And this is on Windows, I hate this software.

The chat is also really bad, we keep using the free Slack version in our office as we don't want to deal with this nonsense.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
Guess I am a light user of Teams. We use it at work and have no issues with it on Intel iMac or M1 Max. Works fine for chatting, sending files and video conferencing/screen sharing. Mainly just using the chat function, but have not seen or had any issues with Teams

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Runs fine but after 5-6h you need to restart your Citrix Viewer session because it will be eating up 1GB of memory.
Pretty much my experience. Seriously bad on my M1 iPP 12.9 also with constant crashes

I've given up running Teams on my MBP 16 M1Max. I have to lug around my Lenovo for it.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
Runs fine but after 5-6h you need to restart your Citrix Viewer session because it will be eating up 1GB of memory.
That doesn't sound ideal. That said if you have 64GB of memory it probably doesn't matter. It still runs via Rosetta I assume?

BellSystem

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
Teams in a dumpster fire. Half the time the status are wrong, notifications are wonky, and user icons can take a month to be the same in all views. I think the product grew too fast and the replication infrastructure just isn’t up to par. We use Slack as well and it pretty solid until it’s down for a few hours randomly lol.

Really slack is light years ahead for one reason: custom emoji’s. Work is much more fun when you can mock all your co workers by turning them into reactions lol.

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
That doesn't sound ideal. That said if you have 64GB of memory it probably doesn't matter. It still runs via Rosetta I assume?

Yeah via Rosetta for the time being.. I did send an email to their development team couple of days ago and answered me they had no news about a native client.

Internally we are discussing moving to Microsoft new VDI project on Azure.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
Yeah via Rosetta for the time being.. I did send an email to their development team couple of days ago and answered me they had no news about a native client.

Internally we are discussing moving to Microsoft new VDI project on Azure.
For me Citrix is a critical app. I used it to connect to my work PC everyday during Covid and still work from home two days a week. I also use Zscaler to connect Citrix to my work PC, that isn't native either. I have other software that doesn't run on Apple Silicon too such as VMWare fusion.

Fortunately I bought a 2020 27" iMac last year which is ideal for Citrix and quite reasonably priced relative to the Mac Studio/Studio Display combo.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
The problem with Citrix (not to hijack this thread) is that you can't get any info on when they plan to have a Universal app. They don't even acknowledge they're working on it. Maybe emailing the CEO at david.henshall@citrix.com would stir up more interest in porting it over.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
The problem with Citrix (not to hijack this thread) is that you can't get any info on when they plan to have a Universal app. They don't even acknowledge they're working on it. Maybe emailing the CEO at david.henshall@citrix.com would stir up more interest in porting it over.
Perhaps we need a thread on critical corporate work apps that don't yet support Apple Silicon. Eventually, Citrix will have to support Apple Silcon but their corporate IT customers are always slow to adopt new tech.

Reactions: southerndoc

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
Perhaps we need a thread on critical corporate work apps that don't yet support Apple Silicon. Eventually, Citrix will have to support Apple Silcon but their corporate IT customers are always slow to adopt new tech.
Yes because Apple won't be supporting Rosetta forever. I think I read they were supporting it for only 3 years.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
You think teams is bad on the Mac, you should try it on Linux :D

Honestly can't understand how teams is so bad; have to use it every day, and MS seem to break something every few weeks (nothing like doing a presentation when MS have broken screen sharing 20 min before...).
Try running it on windows! I can’t open images half the time. I have to click them a few times before it shows up. I have trouble joining meetings sometimes. People’s statuses is constantly out of date. And more issues.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
Try running it on windows! I can’t open images half the time. I have to click them a few times before it shows up. I have trouble joining meetings sometimes. People’s statuses is constantly out of date. And more issues.
Its just crap on all platforms but that is to be expected with an Electron app.

Reactions: VictoryHighway

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
If it can bring you happiness, I'll tell you one thing.

Teams being emulated through Rosetta 2 on my base M1 chip runs much faster than Teams on the two last Windows 10 laptops my work gave me, and one of them cost $2.5K.

Electron is the main culprit here. Microsoft could just use the latest Electron version though, and be done with it. But they ended up with a reality check : Electron sucks.

They want to switch to WebView2 (as well as many other API switches) and basically re-write Teams from the ground up.

We'll have to be patient from now on. I just hope it'll be worth the wait...

TechnoLawyer

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2021

Teams being emulated through Rosetta 2 on my base M1 chip runs much faster than Teams on the two last Windows 10 laptops my work gave me, and one of them cost $2.5K.

Electron is the main culprit here. Microsoft could just use the latest Electron version though, and be done with it. But they ended up with a reality check : Electron sucks.

They want to switch to WebView2 (as well as many other API switches) and basically re-write Teams from the ground up.

Teams seem to work about as well on my 14in MBP as it does on my windows laptop (with a Ryzen 5900HS and 16gb ram). Can't say it really gives me issues on either, although my main usage is for video meetings.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018

They should use Catalyst to develop a single app for iPhone, iPad and Mac. Then they can just use Electron for Windows and Linux.

Reactions: Macintosh IIcx
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.