Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Groundking

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2019
I've just updated, has anybody figured out how to resize the album art and have it fill the width of the window and not have the black bars next to the art (as show in attached). Only having 6 albums a row is infuriating when you have just shy of 3,000 albums, makes scrolling through infuriating.

Screenshot 2019-10-13 at 22.07.04.png

sevenseconds

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2013
I'm here to report success! And ask a question.
Success: Upgraded my 2TB iTunes library from Mojave. Yes, Loading Artwork actually crashed my computer three times. But eventually, over two days, everything passed and it all now works.

My advice: Prepare to not use your computer for anything else if you have a +1TB library for at least a day as Music uploads and re-scans everything. Ideally two days. Is this ridiculous? Yes, but I'm just telling you best practices if your iTunes library is extremely important (as it is for me). I tried using other applications while Music was doing its thing (CPU at 105%, massive memory hog) and invariably, other applications would begin not responding. So best to not do anything else on the computer while Loading Artwork is working.

Question: What is our file structure (in Finder) supposed to now look like? I have all these (now defunct?) folders from iTunes - are they still being used? I ask about the main Music/iTunes folders as well as folders in ~/Library. Can I now safely delete them? Attached is my current "Music Media folder location."

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 09.15.25.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 09.15.25.png
    470.7 KB · Views: 287

rowdawg21

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
This Applescript will force playlist re-build from original "iTunes Music Library.xml"

https://github.com/dimecho/iTunes-Catalina

Thanks for this! I lost some playlists because I deleted them from my phone thinking they would re-download when I synced with the new Music app, but that did not happen.

Question - If I have playlists that I have updated since last week when I installed Catalina, will this script touch those or will it only re-create playlists that are not there?

SteamyDinkins

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
Is anyone having issues with smart playlists not updating to their phones?

Or phantom playlists being created when syncing? (I have a folder called Country Mixes, and every time I sync it creates 3 smart playlists called Country Mixes that seems to have every song in my library.)
Kind of. My issue is that the sort order on smart playlists isn't synced to the device. In the Music app, I sort most smart playlists by Artist. When I sync to my iPhone or iPad, the smart playlists are … kind of sorted by Artist, but all recent additions (within the last few weeks are sorted to the bottom). It's like there's some weird point in time where it stopped updating the play order or something.

On regular playlists I had the same issue, but right-clicking the playlist and doing 'Copy to Play Order' works to get the right sorting on iOS. Of course this is a garbage workaround, as it requires manually doing it on every playlist any time it's updated, but you can at least address some of the issues while Apple bugfixes this mess.

My album art on devices is a complete disaster, and not even consistent between devices; my iPhone has album art missing on some albums, while the same albums have album art on my iPad … but the iPad has other albums that have no art.

All albums have art in Music, and previously did in iTunes and iOS 12.

The loss of the column browser is obviously terrible, too.

This app update is trash. Syncing in Finder is a boneheaded UX decision, and the basic functional bugs to playlists and album art are terrible. I reported them in the developer bug reporter, but I have logged dozens of bugs there over the last ~5 years and they're largely ignored.

Sad to say, it's clear that Apple has severely deprioritized users who still sync music to devices. Which I get is a minority in these days of streaming, but with the size of the install base it's still millions and millions of customers.

Don't hold your breath, all this garbage is going to persist for months.

jonahlee

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2005
I have 100s of playlists.

I display these as songs with my own selection of fields. Music has converted them to a playlist view.

When I change them to song view, Music has decided the fields I will see are not the ones I set up in iTunes.
Also, of course, I cannot see the artwork

This will involve such a large editing job for me I think I am going to stick with iTunes/Mojave
(I had copied everything to a Catalina machine to see what it would look like)

Yes, this is a huge one for me. I can't believe all my previous organization is gone. I am hoping that this script from Doug's Scripts can be redone with a batch feature, to reset all my over 3500 playlists. And will probably have to create a macro with Keyboard Maestro to go through and change every playlist to song view first. THIS IS INSANE!!

rishi.talreja

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2014
Mumbai, India
Yes, this is a huge one for me. I can't believe all my previous organization is gone. I am hoping that this script from Doug's Scripts can be redone with a batch feature, to reset all my over 3500 playlists. And will probably have to create a macro with Keyboard Maestro to go through and change every playlist to song view first. THIS IS INSANE!!
Does that script even work with Music? It says iTunes only.

jonahlee

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2005
Ok wow, so I just read the whole thread and I am having a few issues that are not listed here. The biggest are to do with the Finder iOS sync. The first is that you can't restart while the finder is syncing with an iOS device, as you can't force quit the finder only force restart it. Maybe there a process that I could force quit (maybe it is AMPDevicesAgent) but I used to just be able to force quit iTunes and now I can't until the sync finishes, and I have no idea how long the sync takes. I am assuming that this means that is doing the interminable backup stage:

Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 2.01.10 PM.png

And then once this finished you get the actual sync going.

Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 2.02.49 PM.png

Though of course that first stage takes forever with no feedback (at least iTunes gave me text feedback to tell me where the sync was).

And my other huge issue has to do with Folders in Playlists. I have thousands of playlists, in fact over 3500 as I do them for every album and put the year in the playlist title, it is just how I have always synced. And some I put into folders. Well here is my folder for my Big Finish Doctor Who audio files in Music:

SongsInMusic.png

And here is the same folder showing up in the iOS Finder Sync:

SongsInFinder.png

Not in any order that I can figure out whatsoever. Now my first sync after upgrading to Catalina didn't show this, but after that first sync this is what I get. And it makes no sense, so syncing is so confusing!

I have reported this bug to Apple's Feedback but have gotten no response.

Does anyone else have some files in folders, and how do they look in Finder iOS sync? Am I the only one with this issue? This is huge for me!
[automerge]1571339960[/automerge]
Does that script even work with Music? It says iTunes only.
No it needs to be updated to work for sure, but it would be amazing to get it updated and have an ability to batch.

Reactions: martyjmclean

Madonnnaaaaaaaaa

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2015
Well I finally upgraded. The only issue
I faced was the library synced with iTunes wasn’t comparable with music, I kept getting the message not enough free storage on my device to sync the entire library. I deleted the library from my
iPhone manually and then it all synced ok 1st time but I did need to restart it first.

Only other issue I can see is that DFU mode works in finder but if the IOS software isn’t already on your Mac it states it needs to download it as before with iTunes but then it never downloads........

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
No improvements and a few more bugs in 10.0.1.33. Fun.
[automerge]1571361215[/automerge]
3500 playlists is going to be frustrating indeed. For my couple of hundreds adding this keyboard command was enough to alleviate my frustrations:

Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 11.04.59.png

chiefdave

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
How do you know how AM is working with the iCloud Library? There used to be an indication in the top right on iTunes as to what was happening but I can't find anything similar now. The activity windows is always empty yet the options to update cloud library and genius are greyed out which to me indicates they are in progress. Similarly if I try to quit it says an iCloud update is in progress.

The issue I have is things aren't in sync anymore, anything I add on my phone isn't appearing in AM on my Mac and vice versa. I've left AM running for days hoping it does something as I have a large library but there's no indication anything is happening.

Couple of other issues I'm seeing. Does everyones artwork seem to do some sort of refresh every time you scroll. I've been through my library and made sure all the artwork is there but when you scroll up or down the vast majority show as blank and take 15 - 30 seconds to display.

Finally AM won't quit and I mean that literally. No matter how many times I try it won't quit without a force quit. Of course quitting that way means opening it again takes hours while it checks the library for errors.

Last edited:

lowlowculture

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2019
los angeles
Some more thoughts on "Why This New Catalina Music Client Is Way Way Subpar" that I don't think I've seen addressed in the ten pages prior:

1. some context: my iTunes library goes back to the sound jam upgrade days, so we're talking 2001-2002. That means I have 125,000 tracks and a lot of carefully curated playlists, artwork, id-3 tags, etc etc.

2. after having installed Catalina more than a week ago, and leaving Music running semi-constantly, here and there, there are still 75k tracks without restored artwork yet. Grrrrr.

3. the search function losing its features and being replaced by the modified filtering in libraries is, as we all seem to agree, so very very frustrating and backwards.

4. most annoying of all, so far: any playlist that I've manually dragged into a specific order, song by song, never sticks after quitting and restarting the app. i've tried a few workarounds -- changing the playlist views from "songs" to "playlist" (nope!) and right-clicking the playlist name and selecting "copy to playlist order" just to see if that weird workaround from iPhone importing tweaks might work on my mac. (nope!) when i add new tracks to any of these manually-ordered playlists, they are placed in the proper order at the bottom, implying that the only master sorting order that the Music app is internally relying on is by "date added."

I figure 1-3 are hopeless, but does anyone have any ideas on how to fix #4?

Marc429

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2017
Catalina B3 - Music 1.0.0.282
Catalina B4 - Music 1.0.0.317
Catalina B5 - Music 1.0.0.341
Catalina B6 - Music 1.0.0.355
Catalina B7 - Music 1.0.0.368
Catalina B8 - Music 1.0.0.386
Catalina B9 - Music 1.0.0.416
Catalina B10 - Music 1.0.0.421
Catalina B11/GM - Music 1.0.0.426
Catalina 10.15.1b1 - Music 1.0.1.22

Catalina 10.15.1b2 - Music 1.0.1.33

Missing Features

1. Column browser
  2. Internet radio (old style streaming stations)
  3. Filter playlists (search in playlists) View -> Show Filter Field (does not persist between switching playlists)
  4. Multiple library selection (option clicking when opening the app).
  5. Can't keep files where they are when importing new music Working if unchecking Copy Files to Music Media folder in preferences
  6. Can't import old iTunes library except once when updating to Catalina place copy of old iTunes library in "music" folder and hold option key to choose the library to open it and import
  7. Album/song view: Can't view albums in place. Music has a separate page for every album. Artist view can view them in a list.
  8. Can't view a bigger version of the album art from Now playing. (in iTunes you could cmd + click to open a bigger artwork. This was separate from the mini player which wouldn't resize quite large and won't open in iTunes full screen)
  9. Gestures missing in Apple Music (compare to iTunes Store where gestures still work)
  10. According to marketing material, playlist sidebar is meant to have icons based on album art or custom - coming in future update. Still nothing in 1.0.1.x.
  11. In song view, the options to "always show artwork" and "sort by artwork" have been removed
  12. No option for setting grid size in album view. ie in Mojave I have 13 albums on each row, in Catalina only 5. Makes scrolling through library tedious
  13. No way to rename playlists inline either from the sidebar or in playlist title on main page. When clicking rename or double clicking, a new dialog box with text box to edit the name pops up. Seems very kludgy.
  14. The iOS iTunes Remote app doesn't work yet with the Music app.
  15. Sharing library / playlists on local network are not available in Music preferences - moved to system preferences - sharing pane.
  16. XML files are no longer generated for "sharing info" to other apps but can still be created via "Export Library"
  17. Ripping old CD's into "Music" does not seem to add Artwork - requires manually adding artwork
  18. Some of the advanced playback features (for example Sound Check, Equalizer settings, Volume Adjust and Start/Stop) are not working when AirPlay playback is enabled.
  19. in Song view the scroll bar does not respond to a mouse click somewhere in the bar to mov to that point. You must grab the grey handle and drag up and down through the list. Other views respond correctly.
Bugs
  1. Library can disappear completely (see troubleshooting)
  2. Crash on deleting multiple playlists (iCloud syncing issue?)
  3. Locks up on Updating Cloud Music Library
  4. Album art can be missing both in local/iCloud playlists
  5. Can't uncheck Update Album Art
  6. Views and sorting settings for playlist are not saved through restarts (fixed in b5)
  7. Error 9309 on opening after force quit/crash
  8. Genius results can’t be updated right now. An Unknown error occured (18004) (4001). This also happens in iTunes under Catalina so looks like a server side error.
  9. Consolidate files does not works: the files are not copied to the Media folder (fixed in b8)
  10. Logged out of Apple Music. No way to sign in. When trying to sign up with a plan, get a dialog that says I am already a member. Then get shuffled to the genres you love screen with the next button obscured by the Apple Music ad.
  11. Does not connect to Apple servers to collect iTunes Match data.
  12. See All (top songs/albums etc.) on artist page doesn’t do anything
Issues
  1. AppleScript / Scrobblers / Keyboard remote apps addressing “iTunes.app” no longer working
  2. Remote app (iOS) not working
  3. Filter field is ugly. Shows redundant "Filter text" label and takes up too much space. Does not persist between switching playlists.
  4. Back button is ugly. Redesigned in 1.0.1, but still a single button on same spaced line as "Filter text"
  5. Loading the library can take a long time, especially after a force quit. Even on SSD.
  6. The stoplights buttons are aligned too far to the left
  7. The hover zoom in Apple Music is blurry on non-retina screens Hover effect removed in b6
  8. Same font weight and tighter kerning for both primary/secondary text (instead of say Bold artist, regular title) in Apple music. Only differentiation is font colour/brightness. Harder to read and scan.
  9. Beachball when switching to any library view or playlist for the first time (SSD).
Troubleshooting
  1. To rebuild your library, try deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Music.plistthen
    1. Move your music out of the Music folder and delete everything left in it.
    2. cd ~/Library and remove any folders that have Music or iTunes in the name
    3. cd ~/Library/Caches and delete any folders with Music or iTunes in the name
    4. Reboot
    5. Put your music folders back where you had them before. You may need to Import your music again to let the Music app organize them in a way that makes sense to it
  2. OR:
    This Applescript will force playlist re-build from original "iTunes Music Library.xml"
    https://github.com/dimecho/iTunes-Catalina
  3. Music Store can be enabled under view and in preferences.
  4. Pseudo column browser under Artists (Library > Edit)
  5. Home Sharing has moved to the Sharing pane in System Preferences.
  6. Some sync issues in Music fixed by installing ItunesAccess https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/has-anyone-gotten-an-ipod-shuffle-2nd-gen-to-work.2196567/
  7. Switching all your playlists (back) to song view is quicker if you add a keyboard shortcut (System Prefs -> Keyboard) to this View item:
  8. View attachment 870422
  9. For now, your best solution is probably to just install iTunes again.
New welcome features:
  1. New top bar View attachment 857531
  2. Indented selection of playlists

Wiki post, please add and edit.

Bigpearl

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
Does anyone know how to get rid of duplicate playlist or erase them all without doing it one by one
9067153bed7c403203ac8528a78e8d81.jpg

Reactions: gelie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.