Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2016
Just updated to 10.15.1 from 10.14.6. No issues so far. I noticed that I got a new Music folder, but the iTunes folder is still there. I'm a bit confused, should I move the iTunes media folder into Music folder? Can I delete anything? seems kinda confusing.
1572389205152.png

1572389178714.png

bouynxdor

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2019
Los Angeles
Now i feel REAL old. I'd love to downgrade back to Mojave but it just seems like it will be more work than its worth. I have no choice i guess than to see when they finally fix the app.
[automerge]1572389401[/automerge]
Just updated to 10.15.1 from 10.14.6. No issues so far. I noticed that I got a new Music folder, but the iTunes folder is still there. I'm a bit confused, should I move the iTunes media folder into Music folder? Can I delete anything? seems kinda confusing.
View attachment 873432

View attachment 873431
I haven't even touched the old itunes folders.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I would leave the old iTunes folder in place until the dust settles on this beta version of the app.

If I were to set my library path to the new default Music library, and click “consolidate library” in the file menu, will macOS automatically move my files from the iTunes folder to the new Music folder?

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Music stays at 10.0.1.37 for 10.5.1 release. Release notes claim "improved reliability for importing iTunes libraries". Can anyone back this up?

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2016
Music stays at 10.0.1.37 for 10.5.1 release. Release notes claim "improved reliability for importing iTunes libraries". Can anyone back this up?

My library transfered without any issues. Artwork loading took a while though, my library is 100GB big.

However, I'm very dissapointed with Music app, it is as slow as iTunes and I hate that Albums now open a new page instead of opening and showing tracklist in the same album view.

rishi.talreja

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2014
Mumbai, India
If I were to set my library path to the new default Music library, and click “consolidate library” in the file menu, will macOS automatically move my files from the iTunes folder to the new Music folder?
No it won't move them. It will copy them! I'd strongly advice against this especially if you don't have enough disk space. As someone who tried and burned multiple times, this isn't how I sorted it out I felt you really want a clean migration like me only the Music folder no iTunes.

1. Take backup of both iTunes and Music folder. Very important.
  2. Copy iTunes folder to external. Separate copy from backup. (Not necessary but hey another backup.)
  3. Now open Music app with option key pressed to create a new library and pick the .itl from external disk from step 2.
  4. This will result in something like you currently have except the iTunes folder will be on external this time.
  5. Once all is imported and working fine, I'd reset and consolidate like you suggested.
  6. After consolidation, try using library with external disconnected, and if everything works you can delete them from the external.
  7. Enjoy!

Important: don't try to symlink the iTunes folder and move it to external from the present setup. That bugged out on me multiple times. You have to recreate a new library and it will definitely work. I've tried it twice after having failed multiple times before with other methods. My library btw is ~300gb and ~29k songs.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Theoretically yes.

Did it, and all worked as intended. No problems or errors.
No it won't move them. It will copy them! I'd strongly advice against this especially if you don't have enough disk space. As someone who tried and burned multiple times, this isn't how I sorted it out I felt you really want a clean migration like me only the Music folder no iTunes.

1. Take backup of both iTunes and Music folder. Very important.
  2. Copy iTunes folder to external. Separate copy from backup. (Not necessary but hey another backup.)
  3. Now open Music app with option key pressed to create a new library and pick the .itl from external disk from step 2.
  4. This will result in something like you currently have except the iTunes folder will be on external this time.
  5. Once all is imported and working fine, I'd reset and consolidate like you suggested.
  6. After consolidation, try using library with external disconnected, and if everything works you can delete them from the external.
  7. Enjoy!

Important: don't try to symlink the iTunes folder and move it to external from the present setup. That bugged out on me multiple times. You have to recreate a new library and it will definitely work. I've tried it twice after having failed multiple times before with other methods. My library btw is ~300gb and ~29k songs.

Thanks for the advice, but I just used Music’s consolidate function and it worked perfectly. I have two copies of my music library but it’s fairly light at 17GB (most of my music is in iCloud anyway). And I really didn’t notice a hit in storage space. I think this might be a result of the new APFS dealing with copies?

I will eventually delete my iTunes folder but as Grim suggested, I think I’ll leave it for a bit just in case...

Last edited:

the3ye

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2013
App Store links are still opening in Music app... great job Apple.
I hate new search. Is there any way to keep filter box always visible?

Reactions: ErikGrim

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
Question does your apple music desktop app open maximized every single time no matter how you resize it? How can I prevent it from opening maximized every single time?

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
My experience with Mojave and iTunes has been pretty bad. The equalizer no longer works which is a major issue for me personally. The "For You" section never wants to update unless I close the app and re-open then I get some new suggestions which are really not that great. I as well have been on iTunes as long as I can remember (been on a Mac since '95), with that said I have been experimenting with Spotify as well as a great equalizer app "Boom 3" which I paid for to take the place of the non-functioning iTunes equalizer which by the way does not work on any of my four Mac desktops. Oh yes, the iOS remote app no longer works either!

Last edited:

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2016
Okey, so I hate that when you go back from an album to the library view it doesn't remember the position on the library and I have to scroll back manually... that's awful like what are you doing Apple????

Why we don't have a simbol or any mark to know if Music app is connected to Apple Music servers? in iTunes we had it so we can try to reconnect..

I'm very disappointed with this app, it doesn't do anything better than iTunes. I hope they can update it to have a smooth experience, it's disappointing..

Reactions: ErikGrim

mikey8811

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2019
Anyone else have this issue with new songs being added to Music? They appear at the end of a playlist on the iOS Music rather than at the top even though I am sorting by "recently added".

They appear correctly on the Mac OS app though.

It's just a pain in the proverbial *ss

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
It's shocking that Apple didn't even touch the Music App in the 10.15.1 update seeing as though some of the biggest issues that users are having with Catalina are related to this app in one way or another. I think part of the problem is that sites (like MacRumors), blogs and YouTuber's aren't giving it enough coverage. If these issues affected the streaming component of Apple Music, it would be top news.

Since I am a heavy iTunes user (with music from a variety or sources - no streaming), I am holding out on upgrading until the Music app is fixed. It's also shocking to hear and read that the Music app feels just as bloated as iTunes did while having less features as well as an awkward and somewhat cumbersome view of your media. This was Apple's chance to make all that was wrong with iTunes right, better, faster, more logical, but none of that happened.

I am going to remain hopeful that Apple will soon invest some much needed time, money and love in the new Music App so users can experience that 'it just works' Apple way, even for those of us who don't stream random music on shuffle, or for those of us who have more than a few hundred songs to manage.

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
UK
My library transfered without any issues. Artwork loading took a while though, my library is 100GB big.

However, I'm very dissapointed with Music app, it is as slow as iTunes and I hate that Albums now open a new page instead of opening and showing tracklist in the same album view.

Am I the only one who when closing the track list in album view, it takes you straight back to the top of the library, rather than the album you were on? This happens to me and I'm not sure it's meant to be like this, it's very annoying.

I don't like any other view so I am hoping they can correct this.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Not sure if it has been mentioned already here before, but iTunes LPs aren't working for me any more. Hopefully this functionality returns soon.

Boatguy

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2015
I haven't read this entire thread, but the loss of the column browser is a deal killer for me. Somewhere in Apple there is someone who didn't like that feature and Apple is never going to put it back.

Can anyone refer me to alternative apps that will work with Apple Music? And maybe make a recommendation about which one is best?

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
They work for me. I just tested my Peter Gabriel So album and the LP plays back just fine.

Hmmm. Ok just tried a Beatles album and it’s spitting out an error about not the item not being available. I’ll test other albums later.

justafew

macrumors member
May 6, 2016
Question does your apple music desktop app open maximized every single time no matter how you resize it? How can I prevent it from opening maximized every single time?
I hadn't noticed that, but mine does the same. No matter how I resize it, it opens and fills my window.

ciki62

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2017
Am I the only one who when closing the track list in album view, it takes you straight back to the top of the library, rather than the album you were on? This happens to me and I'm not sure it's meant to be like this, it's very annoying.

I don't like any other view so I am hoping they can correct this.
It is terrible. Also you cannot sort albums by years.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
They work for me. I just tested my Peter Gabriel So album and the LP plays back just fine.

So it looks like none of my iTunes LPs transferred from the library consolidation. All of my LPs spits out an error message saying the file is missing and an option to relocate it. Even if i try to download the LP in Music, or go through the iTunes store purchased section to get it there, I still get the same error message, which doesn't make any sense to me.

I am able to redirect the file path back to the LPs in my original iTunes folder and it works after that but that isn't the solution I'm after. I guess I also could move each LP manually, but that sounds tedious...Looks like this is a glitch in the consolidate library function. I've sent Apple feedback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.