Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Bbnsh

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2017
Germany
I see Apples point to match the iOS and OS X experience as far as possible. However, Apple misses out on the fact that there is a reason to have an iOS and and an OS X device. OS X devices have a large screen as well as a keyboard and mostly more storage. Speaking for the Music APP I need other features to manage all files I have compared to my mobile device.

This weekend I downgraded to Mojave again. Or shall I say upgraded?

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Does anyone know how to get rid of duplicate playlist or erase them all without doing it one by one
9067153bed7c403203ac8528a78e8d81.jpg

I’m curious, when did you start getting these? I started getting duplicated playlists when I upgraded to iOS 13 and synced my devices (so before Catalina).

person s

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2005
I see Apples point to match the iOS and OS X experience as far as possible. However, Apple misses out on the fact that there is a reason to have an iOS and and an OS X device. OS X devices have a large screen as well as a keyboard and mostly more storage. Speaking for the Music APP I need other features to manage all files I have compared to my mobile device.
This weekend I downgraded to Mojave again. Or shall I say upgraded?
TBH I can’t believe that Apple released the new Music app in such condition as it currently is. It should be in alpha or maybe beta testing phase at this time.
whatever happened to the iphone / itunes ecosystem?

xyralothep

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2019
I've still got a whole load of albums that aren't showing artwork that was (and still is) embedded in the files. My computer crashed while it was initially importing the library. Does anyone have any suggestions? Can you rebuild the artwork database, or force Music to reload from individual files?

coolaaron88

macrumors regular
May 28, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
I've still got a whole load of albums that aren't showing artwork that was (and still is) embedded in the files. My computer crashed while it was initially importing the library. Does anyone have any suggestions? Can you rebuild the artwork database, or force Music to reload from individual files?

Thats really concerning that they still didnt completely fix the artwork not showing up in Music. Thats why Ive still held off from updating to Catalina.

PeterGos

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2019
Looks like it's an issue with the sidebar - none of the folders I put there will let you actually move files into them. They all do the same thing
It works for all my folders on the sidebar except the add to tv and music folders??? Any thoughts?
[automerge]1571850537[/automerge]
Try closing the app and then reopening.
Anyone get this to work yet? I am having the same issue here....

Last edited:

Ulkesh

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
So yesterday I had a pretty scary night... upgraded to Catalina 10 Days ago and apart from some minor issues in fotos (no deletion on iphone when importing although box was checked) everything was okay, even migration to music app ... up until yesterday.

It started with single songs disappearing from playlists. Not in all of them but in some. Found them then in the music library in the cloud (these songs where all bought through itunes) and re-downloaded them. I found it strange because I knew I had stored the files on my mac... but I wondered maybe there was a new sync option or whatever I didnt check...

But then it got really scary: Songs I had bought through itunes in the last 5 years in another playlist also completely vanished from one click to another - only much older songs remained. I had my synched iphone as reference and the list went down from 400 to 30 songs in a playlist. But they were not only missing in the playlist but also in the complete music library and also on the hard drive in the file system. Shocking Heart Attack moment...

Unfortunately I did not find this thread but deleting the library file and reusing the old itunes one did not work. After long experiments and upcoming desperation the only solution that worked was CMD+R at startup and doing a complete rollback to a TM snapshot from 4 days ago. A ssd check also said my file system was corrupted and had to be repaired.

Is this a known issue or did someone experience a similar problem?

I‘m now so scared to use this buggy mess... will not start up the macbook again until the 10.15.1 Update is ready. Does anybody know if there will be some changed/ fixes to the Music app?

TLDR: Catalina and Music are so buggy that they even seem to mess up your file system. Do not upgrade at this point, or if its to late make backups and wait for the next patch. :(

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
So, I've held off on Catalina because as much as I hate iTunes, I'm terrified to lose iTunes.

I've been using iTunes since 2004, before there was an iTunes store, and well before album art was a thing. Although today I only buy music through iTunes, this means that my library is sourced from multiple places, as is my artwork. I've also edited song tags over the years to fit a consistency motif that works for me.

My iTunes library is perfect both in terms of song tags and album art. I assure you though, that with iTunes, it has been a constant but manageable struggle to keep it that way.

Because of how far back my library goes and the various sources it is comprised from, I am absolutely terrified that I am going to lose tons of artwork, song tag info, or songs if and when I inevitably have to upgrade.

Is this going to be the case?

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
Because of how far back my library goes and the various sources it is comprised from, I am absolutely terrified that I am going to lose tons of artwork, song tag info, or songs if and when I inevitably have to upgrade.

My iTunes library sounds a lot like yours. My earliest "date added" is in September 2003 and I've got thousands of self-ripped and self-imported tracks with meticulously curated tags and album art (in particular, I've been importing each year's SXSW MP3 torrent, many of which are super-obscure tracks that never made it to the iTunes store). I've also got plenty of music I've bought via the iTunes store. I do not subscribe to Apple Music (although I've been considering it). I had a lot of trepidation about migrating away from iTunes and to Music.

I should also add that my library is stored on a NAS and mounted via SMB. I'm not sure if that makes me feel more safe or less safe, to be honest.

I made multiple backups of everything before I upgraded to Catalina, just in case. But, for the most part, my interaction with the app hasn't changed much. My album art survived the transition. None of my tags have been mangled, all my playlists (smart and static) still work the way they did in iTunes. It has been an "ok" migration.

the Music app is definitely flaky and brittle. It does weird things all the time. I've got a thing right now where all of a sudden most of the songs in my library start showing a little "(!)" icon like the file is missing. But if I command-I on it, or even just try to play the track, it fixes itself and the warning disappears. If I quit and restart the Music app the problem goes away. This happens ever 2 or 3 days. I also don't like the extra step you need to do (shift-command-F) to filter the song list.

I was disappointed that the Music app doesn't seem any faster than iTunes was. I was hoping we'd see some performance improvement now that they've been able to rip out a bunch of unrelated code. Maybe that's "phase 2" of their plans. Mostly the migration has been "ok." I'm not happy, but I'm not unhappy. I do hold my breath when I use the app, and I expect that will fade over time if the app continues to behave itself. I hope Apple keep sufficient developer resources focused on the app as Catalina is further developed.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Still having some album artwork issues in latest beta of 10.15.1.

Honestly though, I'm not having many OS-level issues (Some third party apps need updating) besides Music. I just use Music/iTunes a lot, so the fact that it's the main app I'm having issues with is disappointing.

Reactions: ErikGrim

BigHungry04

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2008
Kentucky
I have a playlist that appears in my Music App on my Mac, but doesn't appear on my iPhone, and yet my iPhone shows that the music is there, but the playlist is not. It disappeared when I added an album I obtained from Apple Music to the playlist. Syncing is enabled and according to Apple, I have everything that needs to be enabled, enabled. Should I build a new playlist and try again?

EDIT: Deleting and rebuilding the playlist resolved the issue. Yey me for figuring that out!

Last edited:

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
I updated my 13” 2015 MBP to Catalina, and I noticed that Music is consuming over 20GB of RAM while rebuilding artwork! Most of my self ripped albums are missing the artwork!

Bigpearl

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
I have a playlist that appears in my Music App on my Mac, but doesn't appear on my iPhone, and yet my iPhone shows that the music is there, but the playlist is not. It disappeared when I added an album I obtained from Apple Music to the playlist. Syncing is enabled and according to Apple, I have everything that needs to be enabled, enabled. Should I build a new playlist and try again?

EDIT: Deleting and rebuilding the playlist resolved the issue. Yey me for figuring that out!
how do you delete and rebuild playlist

Fguerouate

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2018
Oregon
Catalina B3 - Music 1.0.0.282
Catalina B4 - Music 1.0.0.317
Catalina B5 - Music 1.0.0.341
Catalina B6 - Music 1.0.0.355
Catalina B7 - Music 1.0.0.368
Catalina B8 - Music 1.0.0.386
Catalina B9 - Music 1.0.0.416
Catalina B10 - Music 1.0.0.421
Catalina B11/GM - Music 1.0.0.426
Catalina 10.15.1b1 - Music 1.0.1.22
Catalina 10.15.1b2 - Music 1.0.1.33

Catalina 10.15.1b3 - Music 1.0.1.37

Missing Features

1. Column browser
  2. Internet radio (old style streaming stations)
  3. Filter playlists (search in playlists) View -> Show Filter Field (does not persist between switching playlists)
  4. Multiple library selection (option clicking when opening the app).
  5. Can't keep files where they are when importing new music Working if unchecking Copy Files to Music Media folder in preferences
  6. Can't import old iTunes library except once when updating to Catalina place copy of old iTunes library in "music" folder and hold option key to choose the library to open it and import
  7. Album/song view: Can't view albums in place. Music has a separate page for every album. Artist view can view them in a list.
  8. Can't view a bigger version of the album art from Now playing. (in iTunes you could cmd + click to open a bigger artwork. This was separate from the mini player which wouldn't resize quite large and won't open in iTunes full screen)
  9. Gestures missing in Apple Music (compare to iTunes Store where gestures still work)
  10. According to marketing material, playlist sidebar is meant to have icons based on album art or custom - coming in future update. Still nothing in 1.0.1.x.
  11. In song view, the options to "always show artwork" and "sort by artwork" have been removed
  12. No option for setting grid size in album view. ie in Mojave I have 13 albums on each row, in Catalina only 5. Makes scrolling through library tedious
  13. No way to rename playlists inline either from the sidebar or in playlist title on main page. When clicking rename or double clicking, a new dialog box with text box to edit the name pops up. Seems very kludgy.
  14. The iOS iTunes Remote app doesn't work yet with the Music app.
  15. Sharing library / playlists on local network are not available in Music preferences - moved to system preferences - sharing pane.
  16. XML files are no longer generated for "sharing info" to other apps but can still be created via "Export Library"
  17. Ripping old CD's into "Music" does not seem to add Artwork - requires manually adding artwork
  18. Some of the advanced playback features (for example Sound Check, Equalizer settings, Volume Adjust and Start/Stop) are not working when AirPlay playback is enabled.
Bugs
  1. Library can disappear completely (see troubleshooting)
  2. Crash on deleting multiple playlists (iCloud syncing issue?)
  3. Locks up on Updating Cloud Music Library
  4. Album art can be missing both in local/iCloud playlists
  5. Can't uncheck Update Album Art
  6. Views and sorting settings for playlist are not saved through restarts (fixed in b5)
  7. Error 9309 on opening after force quit/crash
  8. Genius results can’t be updated right now. An Unknown error occured (18004) (4001). This also happens in iTunes under Catalina so looks like a server side error.
  9. Consolidate files does not works: the files are not copied to the Media folder (fixed in b8)
  10. Logged out of Apple Music. No way to sign in. When trying to sign up with a plan, get a dialog that says I am already a member. Then get shuffled to the genres you love screen with the next button obscured by the Apple Music ad.
  11. Does not connect to Apple servers to collect iTunes Match data.
  12. See All (top songs/albums etc.) on artist page doesn’t do anything
Issues
  1. AppleScript / Scrobblers / Keyboard remote apps addressing “iTunes.app” no longer working
  2. Remote app (iOS) not working
  3. Filter field is ugly. Shows redundant "Filter text" label and takes up too much space. Does not persist between switching playlists.
  4. Back button is ugly. Redesigned in 1.0.1, but still a single button on same spaced line as "Filter text"
  5. Loading the library can take a long time, especially after a force quit. Even on SSD.
  6. The stoplights buttons are aligned too far to the left
  7. The hover zoom in Apple Music is blurry on non-retina screens Hover effect removed in b6
  8. Same font weight and tighter kerning for both primary/secondary text (instead of say Bold artist, regular title) in Apple music. Only differentiation is font colour/brightness. Harder to read and scan.
  9. Beachball when switching to any library view or playlist for the first time (SSD).
Troubleshooting
  1. To rebuild your library, try deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Music.plistthen
    1. Move your music out of the Music folder and delete everything left in it.
    2. cd ~/Library and remove any folders that have Music or iTunes in the name
    3. cd ~/Library/Caches and delete any folders with Music or iTunes in the name
    4. Reboot
    5. Put your music folders back where you had them before. You may need to Import your music again to let the Music app organize them in a way that makes sense to it
  2. OR:
    This Applescript will force playlist re-build from original "iTunes Music Library.xml"
    https://github.com/dimecho/iTunes-Catalina
  3. Music Store can be enabled under view and in preferences.
  4. Pseudo column browser under Artists (Library > Edit)
  5. Home Sharing has moved to the Sharing pane in System Preferences.
  6. Some sync issues in Music fixed by installing ItunesAccess https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/has-anyone-gotten-an-ipod-shuffle-2nd-gen-to-work.2196567/
  7. Switching all your playlists (back) to song view is quicker if you add a keyboard shortcut (System Prefs -> Keyboard) to this View item:
  8. View attachment 870422
  9. For now, your best solution is probably to just install iTunes again.
New welcome features:
  1. New top bar View attachment 857531
  2. Indented selection of playlists

Wiki post, please add and edit.

I've found that when music settings like sound enhancer are altered, they take a good amount of time to take effect

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Do people have issues where the artworks flash periodically when downloading music? This bug is also present in the tv app.

bouynxdor

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2019
Los Angeles
So aggravated that 10.15.1 did not address anything with Music. You can't close the app without force quitting. The artwork is constantly "adding". It causes the computer to reboot. I don't know how it got past first level QC. Has Apple made any timeline to fix the app at any point? I wish i had never upgraded.

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
UK
So aggravated that 10.15.1 did not address anything with Music. You can't close the app without force quitting. The artwork is constantly "adding". It causes the computer to reboot. I don't know how it got past first level QC. Has Apple made any timeline to fix the app at any point? I wish i had never upgraded.

omg seriously?! How annoying. I didn't even like the Music app anyway, certain functions require so many more clicks, it's stupid.

I am getting more and more fed up with this now. Didn't anyone test it out prior to release?!

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
UK
that's what blowing me away. It's one thing to miss features, like Column View, which is very necessary when you have a huge db of music, but the bugs themselves is inexcusable.

What is your setup mate? Do you store the music on your Mac HDD or on the network?

bouynxdor

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2019
Los Angeles
All on my Mac HDD. I had NO problems previous to Catalina. Every issue i've seen someone else has reported so it doesn't appear to be isolated to me or a bad install.
[automerge]1572388511[/automerge]
ps. we were in your amazing country last month. Had such a fun time. It was my first time in London in 31 years.

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
UK
All on my Mac HDD. I had NO problems previous to Catalina. Every issue i've seen someone else has reported so it doesn't appear to be isolated to me or a bad install.
[automerge]1572388511[/automerge]
ps. we were in your amazing country last month. Had such a fun time. It was my first time in London in 31 years.

31 years eh, that's how old I am!

Hmm, I just wonder if I tried upgrading again if it would be smooth now, someone else who stores the music on their network disk has said so. But then it's hard to tell as everyones case is different and I just don't like the Music UI anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.