Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
Minor setback for us iTunes holdouts: According to Reddit, matched tracks does indeed now get replaced with lossless versions - if you have lossless set in Music preferences.
if you have lossless set in Music, are you really an iTunes holdout?

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
my reaction to this news

Apple Working on Redesigned iCloud Mail for Web - MacRumors

6c5.jpg

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
Bug I've noticed across albums since the update. Matched albums show up as 'Matched AAC media file" but half are 'Uploaded' and half 'Matched'

X8HhwUc.png

You'd think that means the Matched are proper and 'Uploaded' are overwriting, right? Wrong

So delete from library, re add all the files and re-add to library....

f1ra08S.png

...now the Matched have a file size and the Uploaded are 'Stream'? And the Matched wont play in Lossless, but the 'Uploaded' will! lmao

lasxWWk.png

Finally after removing and downloading, over and over, several times, they all now show up as Matched and actually work properly.
Afl8HuE.png

Dont know if deleting from my library and re-adding helped, or if it was the download/remove/download combo that fixed it, but TONS of my albums are like this right now

• Sad
Reactions: gank41

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Wait, why is there so many bugs and missing features, etc. ?
Music is not even a highlight in Monterey, the only changes basically are Spatial Sound and SharePlay.

Do all these things also apply to Big Sur and Catalina ?

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
My understanding is that almost nothing has changed in the Music app in Monterey so all the bugs and missing features from Big Sur and Catalina are still the same in Monterey.

Every year I hope that they got their **** together with the music app but so far it’s the same as far as I’ve heard (I’m not a beta tester).

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Ok I understand now.
Of course the app will always deceive if it never receives a proper update.

What annoys me the most is that it seems to be a web based app now and it's slower than ever before. It doesn't feel native. Something's not right if I compare it to the rest of macOS.

Reactions: lfaa and Lvivske

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I must say, I always appreciate @ErikGrim keeping this topic alive and current.

No option for setting smaller grid size in album view. - previously in iTunes you could have 13 albums on each row, in Music limited to only 5 per row, makes scrolling through library tedious
Sad to see this is still the case. Three major OS releases and it’s still poorly optimized for any display larger than 13”.

Rating stars in list view are not retina! How?
I‘ve only just started noticing this on Big Sur (probably because they’re so small in the UI) and find it hilarious. Clearly none of the relevant engineers at Apple (where music is “part of their DNA”) utilize this 20 year-old functionality.

• Love
Reactions: ErikGrim

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
It's a bit strange how Apple doesn't devote any time to their macOS Music app. Even if they don't care about their old iTunes customers who build their library by importing and buying music, the music app is still the way that all the Apple Music subscribers get access to their music so having a stable music app should be in their interest.

Mr Todhunter

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Third planet from the Sun
My understanding is that almost nothing has changed in the Music app in Monterey so all the bugs and missing features from Big Sur and Catalina are still the same in Monterey.

Every year I hope that they got their **** together with the music app but so far it’s the same as far as I’ve heard (I’m not a beta tester).
That’s why I still use iTunes.

Reactions: Lvivske

Mr Todhunter

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Third planet from the Sun
It's a bit strange how Apple doesn't devote any time to their macOS Music app. Even if they don't care about their old iTunes customers who build their library by importing and buying music, the music app is still the way that all the Apple Music subscribers get access to their music so having a stable music app should be in their interest.
But …..but…but…they LOVE music…

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
I must say, I always appreciate @ErikGrim keeping this topic alive and current.

Sad to see this is still the case. Three major OS releases and it’s still poorly optimized for any display larger than 13”.

I‘ve only just started noticing this on Big Sur (probably because they’re so small in the UI) and find it hilarious. Clearly none of the relevant engineers at Apple (where music is “part of their DNA”) utilize this 20 year-old functionality.

i'll add

- they removed the album view slide down from iTunes and I'll never forgive them

- album art is bigger in Artists View than in the actual Album itself. (imo, if its a page about that album, the art should be showcased, maybe add a wallpaper fade, really highlight it. As it is right now its a ton of empty grey space)

Rating stars in list view are not retina! How?

i dont see this at all, looks fine on my end

Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 9.46.31 AM.png

edit: oh ****, guess i had to zoom it in to notice the aliasing around the stars versus 'heart' (screw that heart, 5-stars for life)

Reactions: gank41

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
match and all that works fine on itunes 12.9 w/ retroactive

*on intel macs
Sounds great! I might actually consider updating from Mojave to Big Sur if I can still use iTunes. It has been the main reason for not updating int he last couple of years ?

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
The worst thing is this is a regression from iTunes where of course the stars are retina!

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
Anyone else having this issue on Music, noticing it particularly in Songs view - when clicking on thing, Music 'fat fingers' the selection

ie, I click to rate a song 5 stars, but clicking the star is like i missed the rating entirely and just slammed (double clicked) the song title or play?

same thing happens when trying to edit other fields, if i try to time my double click to edit (slowwwwly) it just acts like i quickly double clicked to play

so right now half the time i cant rate tracks, or edit fields, because it just wants to play with every click

and its really inconsistent and cant see it coming when it does, adding to the frustration

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
What exactly does Apple have against Music on the Mac? Surely Tim, Craig or any of the senior execs use it and no ones said at any point can we just sort out this crap?

Seriously you've got enough resources. Just get a team of people in a room and get a new app built and shipped.

The amount of videos Apple have uploaded for WWDC on how to build great apps in SwiftUI etc and they have the cheek to have this Music app hanging around on their latest OS. And it's not like it's Grapher or something but one of their core services. Talk about the elephant in the room.

Just sort it out Apple, please.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
What exactly does Apple have against Music on the Mac? Surely Tim, Craig or any of the senior execs use it and no ones said at any point can we just sort out this crap?

Just sort it out Apple, please.

It really makes no sense. Music is core to every user's experience, and music/itunes is ubiquitous to Apple's image. Like you said, clearly all the people in charge use it, how did they allow it to get like this, this long?

This is a company that seems to put out a fully revamped Safari on an annual basis just for people to install Chrome/Edge/Firefox. The obvious conclusion is that Music users are a captive audience so who cares, but that's not the case, with with Lossless being the new feature, its clear they want to take on Spotify....and they kick that off with a botched presentation, open beta software, and no android support (ffs they couldnt be bothered to rebrand the Windows app...)

It. Makes. No. Sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.