Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
Originally posted by edvniow

The PowerMac also has duals across the line.

I do believe that the iBook will get a G4 by its next major revision, but it just had a speed bump, a video card upgrade and price drop. I seriously doubt that it'll have G4's in a week.

NOW it does. When the iMac came out that wasn't the case.

dabirdwell

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2002
Oklahoma

Even if they did, I don't see the iBook getting a G4 anytime soon for two reasons:

1. The Tibook has one and having a G4 in the cheaper iBook would kinda take wind out of the Powerbook sales, don't you think?

2. They just updated the whole notebook line over a month ago!! Do you really think that Apple is going to put a G4 in it in a week??

That said, all the other stuff sound feasable, just not the iBook specs.

Wind out of sales...very witty:)

ChicagoMac

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2002
Battle Creek, MI
Originally posted by crazy_will

So? The iMac has a G4, and so does the Power Mac, yet home users buy the iMac, not the Power Mac? The PM has slow sales becuase it's a ripoff, not because people could just buy an iMac and get the G4.

Maybe this means that the PowerBook will get DDR? I see nothing in the first post about thew PowerBook.

My understanding is that the G4 does not take advantage of DDR so putting it in the powerbook would be useless.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Maybe these are all 7457's - the smaller die size means lower power consumption and less cooling requirements. My TiBook gets quite hot, and iBooks have no fans. I guess they will now :)

Actually what is the point of gigabit ethernet in a laptop? Especially an iBook consumer model?? GE is a server feature. It belongs on the XServe and maybe on the top-end PowerMac.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
This would have to be with a new, more efficient G4 (10 hour battery life???). If this rumor is true, which I find doubtful, it would also mean that Apple is now taking the strategy of not worrying about cannibalizing sales, and is pegging its fortunes increasingly to the success of the iBook. Again, though, this doesn't seem quite right.

Or maybe Apple's pressure on Motorola pushed them to develop under wraps something like a G4-M, a low-power G4 chip (could the 7457 really have 1/2 the power consumption of the existing G4?). Maybe Moto wanted to ensure that the G4 is used in the iBook and PowerBook for at least a couple more years (maybe to make back investments they've already made in R&D) before they bow out of the CPU market entirely....

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by pgwalsh
This is inline with what I've heard too. I think Tyler maybe be very colose to what's going to happen.

Actually, I just checked the specs on the 7457 and its power consumption is about 7.5W vs. 12W or so for the 7455. So assuming the same battery as in the PowerBook, the battery life would be (12/7.5)*5hrs = 8 hrs exactly!!! It just all fits, man! 1GHz 7457 in the iBooks! But dangit I just got one :mad:

Where would this leave the PowerBooks? The 7457 supposedly goes up to 1.4GHz or so, but is that enough to justify the price difference? What the heck are they going to do, have dual-7457's in there? Hahaha - if Apples pulls this one off, (1 GHz G4 in iBook and dual-CPU PowerBooks), this will be truly astonishing. And ironically everyone will be singing the praises of Moto and their awesome laptop CPUs. Hahaha. I gotta hand it to Apple - during this simultaneous tech downturn / PPC chip drought double whammy, they've learned the art of underpromising and overdelivering (not that that restrains their marketing hype *after* the cool new product is delivered)

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
hmm, these iBook upgrades sound possible, but i just don't think that they will happen at MWSF. I agree with edvniow the iBook was just updated a month ago, maybe this will happen in a few months. 10 hour battery life would be really nice, but i just can't see it happening, especially if they're putting in G4s. just sounds like too much, too soon.

canadianmacguy

Contributor
Apr 8, 2002
San Diego
Re: total bs

Originally posted by theranch
They just upgraded the ibook line a month ago...they would NEVER kill sales like that nor would they release a major upgrade so soon. Total BS post. Do your research before spreading completely false rumors.

You know, the old Apple probably wouldn't do that.. but I'm not so sure about the new Apple..

I think anytime is fair game now (within reason), if something is ready, it's going out... ie. the iBook line wasn't upgraded, all they did was put in a faster processor and video card. An upgrade to me would be built in Bluetooth, or faster firewire - ie. something that requires some sort of motherboard change. Faster processors or different video cards don't need new motherboards...

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by beez7777
hmm, these iBook upgrades sound possible, but i just don't think that they will happen at MWSF. I agree with edvniow the iBook was just updated a month ago, maybe this will happen in a few months. 10 hour battery life would be really nice, but i just can't see it happening, especially if they're putting in G4s. just sounds like too much, too soon.

But maybe Apple got Moto to accelerate the release of the 7457, and figures that it has to integrate the new chips ASAP to keep market share, even if it did just update the iBooks a couple months ago. I'm sure that Apple has had prototypes of these machines for a while now, so it's not as if they had to rush to redesign the iBook for the G4. They probably had the production all ready to go and were just waiting for the chips....

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
G4 and Superdrive in the ibook?! Allow me to take this opportunity to laugh

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
G4 and Superdrive in the ibook?! Allow me to take this opportunity to laugh

Why not? The 14" iBook costs from $1600 to $1850 - it should have a freakin' superdrive, which only adds a couple hundred bucks now to the cost anyway. In fact, I think Apple should add a SuperDrive to the 12.1" and price it a t $1500 - the smaller 12.1" form factor is so much better and more popular. Maybe they could upgrade the PowerBooks to 2x Superdrives to try to maintain more differentiation.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by lmalave

Why not? The 14" iBook costs from $1600 to $1850 - it should have a freakin' superdrive, which only adds a couple hundred bucks now to the cost anyway. Maybe they could upgrade the PowerBooks to 2x Superdrives to try to maintain more differentiation.

Okay, for sake of argument, let's take this rumor seriously for a moment.

The iBook will get a G4, gigabit ethernet and a Superdrive in a week.

Prices only go up about $200 for the higher end ones, about $1999 for the highest.

If the Powerbooks stay the same by MWSF with no major revisions, what possible reason would I have to buy a $3000 Powerbook where I can do 90% of what it can do on a $2000 iBook??

Like I said before, the iBook will get a G4 someday but I seriously doubt that someday is a little more than a week.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC

Okay, for sake of argument, let's take this rumor seriously for a moment.

The iBook will get a G4, gigabit ethernet and a Superdrive in a week.

Prices only go up about $200 for the higher end ones, about $1999 for the highest.

If the Powerbooks stay the same by MWSF with no major revisions, what possible reason would I have to buy a $3000 Powerbook where I can do 90% of what it can do on a $2000 iBook??

Like I said before, the iBook will get a G4 someday but I seriously doubt that someday is a little more than a week.

Like I said before, dual-7457s! Since the 7457 has so much lower power consumption, who knows, this could be feasible. So iBooks would be to PowerBooks as iMacs are to PowerMacs. The "Power" line would have dual CPUs and better components to justify the price difference.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
Guess we'll see in a week then.
smiley.gif

MacSalesGuy

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2003
United States
You know better.............

You all know better, Apple does everything in order.........you should all know that the only CPU we are going to see a huge update on is the iMac G4, and some small additions to the eMac. This isn't information directly from Apple, it's just an educated guess.:p

And.....

I don't think they will be updating the ibook this time around. There is nothing wrong with having gigabit ethernet on the ibook, I sell just as many to businesses than I do to consumers so think of it as an added benefit, and for those of you that don't know.......... The speed of the ethernet is only as fast as the slowest connection, check out the example below:

10BT+10BT= 10BT Speed

10/100+10/1000= 100BT speed

10/100/1000+10/100/1000= 1000BT speed

Hope I didn't confuse anyone and have a Happy New Year!

arnette

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Manhattan Beach
how 'bout that?

wow, I'm actually excited about MWSF now. I have serious doubts that iBooks get updates in Jan. instead of May... but I'm all for it if they do!:)

macboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2001
He's right so far!

It looks like tyler was right already!

iCal and iSync have been released today just in time for MWSF.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Re: He's right so far!

Hmm...they just keep making the "pro" lines less and less worth the money.

Oh well. :rolleyes:

macboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2001
Sorry guys....

Tyler has asked me to remove this post because Apple isn't too happy...

MacBoy

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by macboy
Sorry guys....

Tyler has asked me to remove this post because Apple isn't too happy...

MacBoy

Dude, don't get your buddy fired :eek:

Mum's the word. Only a few more days to wait now anyway.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by Over Achiever
Um...anyone have a chance to take a look at whatever he posted?

Well we all probably know about the iBooks (G4, Gigabit Ethernet on top model plus Superdrive)

eMacs- speed bump

iMacs- same

Powermacs- same

iDVD-update

iMovie- update

iMac G3- dropped

And that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Why you ever posted his name is beyond me.

I would be quite upset if I were Tyler. But that's just me.

iconrad

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2002
Canonsburg, PA
I was wondering if to fully utilize a T3 connection to the internet if you had to have a 10/100/1000 ethernet port or if you could use a 10/100. If you need a gigabyte ethernet I hope the iBook gets it. And info would be helpful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.