Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by iconrad
I was wondering if to fully utilize a T3 connection to the internet if you had to have a 10/100/1000 ethernet port or if you could use a 10/100. If you need a gigabyte ethernet I hope the iBook gets it. And info would be helpful.

Depends on the number of computers sharing the T3 really. But I would have to say unless you are running an extreme server for a business or something, gigabit ethernet is useless. 10/100 is already pretty darn fast.

macboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2001
Talking to my network admin this evening and he says he thinks the reason for gigabit ethernet in the iBook would be for a cheaper solution that the PowerBook for Network administrators laptops. At our work, our admins have laptops so they can work on the servers anywhere across the WAN.

Also for businesses such as publishing and video production, the transfer speed of very large files using gigabit ethernet would be faster.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
There's one part of this equation you have left out-Apple has been known to be working on better battery technologies. Maybe, (and since we are all entertaining this rumor) they have a new battery that they will introduce into all of the laptops. This would at least be more feasble than new low-power G4 chips, don't you think?

Just a thought.

Regards,
Gus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.