Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
I’ve had to buy the iPhone 14 Plus after damaging my 12. Wanted one anyway.

This is my first Plus/larger size.

I don’t think there’s any going back now. I’ve gone back to my 12 a couple of times and the display feels tiny.

You know that leap we had when we had a home button to the first non-button iPhone? Playing with a home button iPhone suddenly felt cheap and small.

It feels like that going to a Plus.

This 14 Plus is so slim, barely heavier than my 12 and certainly fine to carry around in my pocket.

That’s all. Just wanted to say this in case anyone was thinking about upsizing.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA

I don’t think there’s any going back now. I’ve gone back to my 12 a couple of times and the display feels tiny.

You know that leap we had when we had a home button to the first non-button iPhone? Playing with a home button iPhone suddenly felt cheap and small.

This 14 Plus is so slim, barely heavier than my 12 and certainly fine to carry around in my pocket.

Have you compared in your hand the difference between but the 14 Plus and the 14 Pro Max? I looked up the spec sheet, but that doesn’t always tell the real story of how it feels in your hand.

I have the 14 Pro Max and I’m seriously thinking of going the opposite direction. I recently held a regular iPhone 13 in my hand and was amazed at how light it felt.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

I had a similar feeling the year I got the iPhone 6+ to replace my iPhone 5.

I still have my 5 and a few earlier phones, but every time I use them they all feel small and cramped.

After the 6+, I got the 6s+ which now serves as my secondary phone. My primary is the 11 Pro Max.

There's no way I could go back to anything around the size of my old iPhone 5. Not now.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I recently held a regular iPhone 13 in my hand and was amazed at how light it felt.
This is a serious problem for me. Sometimes I space out and a phone that's too light might end up getting tossed around. Since I don't use cases that can end badly.

I like a nice solid weight to a phone. It always makes me aware I'm holding a ~$1000 phone in my hand.

I might see if differently if I used my phone to consume media for more than 30 minutes a day or so, but I don't. Primarily that's my iPad.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
This is a serious problem for me. Sometimes I space out and a phone that's too light might end up getting tossed around. Since I don't use cases that can end badly.

I like a nice solid weight to a phone. It always makes me aware I'm holding a ~$1000 phone in my hand.

I might see if differently if I used my phone to consume media for more than 30 minutes a day or so, but I don't. Primarily that's my iPad.
I can see that ending badly. Part of the reason why I was thinking of getting a smaller iPhone is because I have an iPad so most of the time if I’m watching YouTube it’s on that.

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016

Exactly. Love the weight of my 13 Pro Max. It’s substantial in my hand and most of all, I can feel it in my pocket meaning I always know it’s on me. With a lighter iPhone, it might slip out (or get stolen) and I might never notice it being gone.

additionally, i have no issues consuming media on this phone

Hopefully the next “titanium” iPhone Pro Max/Ultra isn’t a big downgrade in weight.

Reactions: eyoungren

podiki

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
Lagovouni
Had the biggest iPhone for as long as I can remember. The big screen is nice when you get older and eyesight gets worse. The only thing holding me back to get a new big iPhone is the high prices and a feeling that a new phone won't add much in functionality.

i-Liam

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2016
I went from 13 pro max to the 13 pro and now 14 pro. The max sized phones for me were to heavy, and I was tired of having to take it out of my pocket every time I sat down. 6.1 inch for me is the sweet spot, yes battery life isn’t as good, but for me personally I have a charger in my car and workplace so it’s not an issue.

Reactions: TGM85 and Digger148

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

Big phones have their advantages. Much easier to type on, better experience when viewing content and playing games, better battery life due to larger battery, etc.

I think the iPhone Plus is a good phone, albeit lacking in features for a phone at its price point. We all know what people want, an SE Plus, but Apple will never deliver 😅

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Last time I had a big phone, it was because the camera on the 7 Plus was better than the 7. I did not care for the size, and replaced it with an iPhone X when they came out. Fortunately since then, the standard Pro model has given me the same camera as the Pro Max… but (rumor has it) the 15 Pro Max will have periscope zoom, the Pro will not until the 16 Pro. So… size, or camera for the 15? That’s going to be the question (and no, not skipping the 15… I have a 12 Pro right now, it’ll be due for replacement).

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I had an 8 Plus, now a 13 mini. So sometimes there is going back. :)
👍
I was just going to post the same. 🙂

For phone communicating I use my 13 Mini…

If I need to torture my poor old eyes by watching movies and stuff on a small screen I use my iPad.

No need to lug about a massive phablet…

Except you will have to go back to big once the 13 mini will die.
Maybe… but… I'm planning on hanging on to my iPhones 13 Mini a few years more.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Big phones have their advantages. Much easier to type on, better experience when viewing content and playing games, better battery life due to larger battery, etc.

I think the iPhone Plus is a good phone, albeit lacking in features for a phone at its price point. We all know what people want, an SE Plus, but Apple will never deliver 😅
Unless you’re trying to go one-handed, then it’s the opposite.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
I still have my 8+ and I think it’s a very good phone. Can’t imagine going back to smaller at this point

I am looking to upgrade this year. The 14 is narrower and a bit shorter than my 8+, but overall offers a screen that is about 3-5% greater in overall display area than my 8+ so that would be essentially a lateral move. The 14+ is a smidge larger in height and near identical in width as my 8+ but offers a distinctly larger screen overall—I find myself leaning toward that choice because of basically same physical size, but more screen.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
I experienced a similar issue when I first switched from an iPad mini to a Pro... after a few days of using the Pro, the mini felt like a glorified phone!

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan

Happy you like it. I still find my 13 Pro a bit large, though the SE does feel small. Can see myself ever getting a device that I can’t use with one hand.

Reactions: erasr

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
My iPad 10.5 Pr felt large compared to my mother’s old 9.7 iPad. Before Christmas I bought her a new 9th gen iPad 10.2 and myself an iPad Air 5. Again the 10.9 Air is notably larger than the 10.2, but not quite as different as the previous comparison. The real difference is in performance—the Air 5 with the M1 flies while the 9th gen feels rather laggy in comparison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.