Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snak-atak

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2022
I’ve had to buy the iPhone 14 Plus after damaging my 12. Wanted one anyway.

This is my first Plus/larger size.

I don’t think there’s any going back now. I’ve gone back to my 12 a couple of times and the display feels tiny.

You know that leap we had when we had a home button to the first non-button iPhone? Playing with a home button iPhone suddenly felt cheap and small.

It feels like that going to a Plus.

This 14 Plus is so slim, barely heavier than my 12 and certainly fine to carry around in my pocket.

That’s all. Just wanted to say this in case anyone was thinking about upsizing.
The nice thing about Apple is you can always go back and forth, and they love it when you do. I went from a 5 to a 7 Plus and back down to a 11 Pro. I enjoyed the larger screen of the 7 Plus and I still love my 11 Pro because it's lighter to handle. Not sure what I'll do when the 15 comes out. Enjoy the 14 Plus while you have it and when you're ready for a change, wait and see what comes next.

Reactions: one more

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
I've switched sizes every time I've upgraded. 5s, 6 Plus, 6s, 7 Plus, XS, 12 Pro Max, 13 Pro, 14 Pro Max.

With respect to the larger Pro phones, love the larger screen size and improved battery life and dislike the weight.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I went from an 8+ down to a 12 mini; hated the size of the 8+ from the day I got it. Battery was bad on the 12 mini, so I have 13 pro now, but wish I had a mini.

I don't play games or watch video on my phone, so need for the larger screen.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I got the 6 plus and never looked back … though my 6 plus was the first phone I ever broke the screen on.. very quickly cus I only had a super thin case on it like I always had on my small phones from before that.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I’ve been in the Plus club since the (awful) 6 Plus and stayed there since. Prior to that, I even had the og Galaxy Note for a while when it came out, my only flirtation with android.

Anyway, over the last few years, I’ve gradually used my phone less over time by choice, average maybe an hour screen time a day now, double that on a work day through necessity.

With this in mind, I got a 12 Mini when it came out, figuring it would be enough for me as I don’t use my phone much now. Massive mistake lol! I’ve got average sized hands, but I found it an absolute chore to use. Typing was awful, websites/apps simply aren’t designed for very small screens anymore and some are borderline unusable. Somehow lived with it until the 13 Pro Max came along (I wanted the best camera at the time also). Fully intend to use this 13PM until it’s virtually obsolete, ha.

Last edited:

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Interesting replies, all.

Someone mentioned just above that the weight of the 14 Plus is the killer feature. I agree with this. About the same as the iPhone 8 Plus. In fact it barely feels different to my old standard 12.

Also, I can use it in one hand. I don't want to assume but if you think you can't — and haven't owned a Plus yet — it's probably worth trying one properly first.

My hands are not the biggest! I can write a text in one hand, just.

Someone else mentioned about watching movies etc at an airport. This is the game changer for me. I'm now propping the Plus up on my duvet in bed and watching stuff without holding it anymore.

I used to have to hold my 12 nearer to my eyes in bed. The Plus is like a mini iPad.

The ONLY thing I reserve judgement on is when my case arrives today. I usually go for the thin Nudient cases, this time I've gone for the Apple Silicon one, succulent colour to go with my light blue Plus. Nice combo in colours but I think it'll feel a lot chunkier once I get it on.....
I think I need to go check out the different phones at the Apple store. Of course I’m not sure if there’s a big change with the iPhone 15 how much this will help. It’s easy to look at the specs, but that doesn’t translate to real world feel. It’s like how people point out that the new MacBook Air and 14” MacBook Pro are very similar in size and weight in the specs but when you’re picking one up, they feel nothing alike.

• Love
Reactions: one more

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
👍
I was just going to post the same. 🙂

For phone communicating I use my 13 Mini…

If I need to torture my poor old eyes by watching movies and stuff on a small screen I use my iPad.

No need to lug about a massive phablet…

Maybe… but… I'm planning on hanging on to my iPhones 13 Mini a few years more.

iPad? Phablet? Pfft.
I won't go below my 16" MBP for media consumption.
Anything below that serves only to snap pictures and use GPS navigation to me.
And even 16" is cramped. I always miss my external monitor when I'm not home.

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2023
I would agree if I used my phone as my "primary browser". Your "primary browser" is your goto device for consuming books, news, email, social media, videos. But for me, that's my iPad. I don't use my iPhone at home really at all. I use my iPad at home constantly as my primary browser. And when I'm mobile, I don't really do any "primary browsing". When I'm mobile, my iPhone serves as a communication and "lookup device". If I need to look something up, my normal sized iPhone is fine.

And if I do go mobile and I expect to want a primary browser, I pack my iPad in a little messenger bag and bring it with me. But that's not usually what I need when I'm out.

So if your iPad is your primary browser, you just want your phone to be as slim and portable as possible.

But yes, if I wasn't all-in on the iPad, and I could only have an iPhone, I'd probably agree and go with the + model.
You have a point in the way you are using it, but the way I see it I find myself needing a big screen “primary browser” on the go which I don’t need a bag for, that will go into my pocket. There the +/max sizes fits the bill IMO. And also, I need the bigger battery. If you have this user case it’s hard to go back as OP says. And btw, have a 11” iPad too and use that at home and sometimes on the go when I have a bag anyway perhaps.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Well… I recently went 12.9” for the second time, but kept my 11” around for precisely that reason: which do I actually prefer? After 3 months of exclusively using the 12.9” I’ve been using the 11” for the past three weeks. It turns out that both iPads are too large and unwieldy for my use. That makes the 12.9” now my de facto preference (caveat: the blooming of the mini LED really bugs me). Except that now I want a mini… though not with its present screen tech. I played with one at an Apple Store for a bit and the “jelly roll” and non-120Hz screen really bother me.

Moral of the story? I might replace my iPhone mini with a plus size this autumn… talk about a non sequitur! You’re welcome…
We need a iPhone pro mini and a iPad mini pro c'mon Apple :)

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
I've always loved big phones and thought 'the bigger the better!' but when I got my 12 Pro Max I thought 'okay, this is the biggest I'd want to go.' lol. I think it's the squared edges and weight that make it seem especially big to me. If it had the form factor of the 11PM I think I'd find it a lot more comfortable. Right now think the Pro (vs Pro Max) is the ideal size for me. I really want to switch to a 14 Pro; the only thing giving me pause right now is how close we are to the 15. Never thought I'd downsize my phone, but... here I am!

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I must be the only one who went from a 14 Pro to a Plus due to larger screen and less weight ! LOL

Reactions: flobach

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
I must be the only one who went from a 14 Pro to a Plus due to larger screen and less weight ! LOL
That makes a ton of sense to me.

Currently suffering the ill effects of the 14 Pro Max weight.

In comparison, the PM is just barely wider than a XSMax but quite a bit taller, thicker and heavier.

The XSMax feels comofrtable. The PM feels like I’m holding a book and requires all sorts of finger gymnastics to hold and operate.

Less of a fan by the day.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
That makes a ton of sense to me.

Currently suffering the ill effects of the 14 Pro Max weight.

In comparison, the PM is just barely wider than a XSMax but quite a bit taller, thicker and heavier.

The XSMax feels comofrtable. The PM feels like I’m holding a book and requires all sorts of finger gymnastics to hold and operate.

Less of a fan by the day.
yeah I hear ya.. .what about the pro?

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
I also nearly went iPhone 14 Pro but the Plus felt lighter and slimmer! Crazy.

In terms of Pro features, my conclusion was that I only view photos I take on my phone… on my phone.

So why do I need the ‘ultimate’ phone camera if I’m viewing them on a ‘tiny’ screen?

The Plus camera is excellent, fine for my needs.

What else, Pro Motion? Haven’t had it, so don’t feel like I need it yet.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I read some macrumors member wish Apple follow Steve’s trend to simplify product variety because we have too many Apple iPhone varients. But I’m glad we have choices. Though I honestly never seen a 14 plus I think it’s a good phone though a bit over priced.

I went from xs max to mini for 2 year. Then iPhone pro 14. I just pick up a mini 13 for travel (I want physical sim). Will see if I keep the mini. I wish apple made a mini pro with high refresh screen and always on display ugh… I like the ability of the phone to display what’s playing and interacting with the screen without turning it on.

Reactions: xpxp2002

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
MagSafe popsocket with 14 pro max makes the phablet other worldly with battery life. I think the only way I’ll go smaller is if there’s an extraordinary battery life mini model down the road. The regular pro ain’t for me anymore after having X and 12 pro

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
Ive gone from a 12 plus to a SE and im loving it. Took a day to adjust to smaller screen but i love Touch ID

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
MagSafe popsocket with 14 pro max makes the phablet other worldly with battery life. I think the only way I’ll go smaller is if there’s an extraordinary battery life mini model down the road. The regular pro ain’t for me anymore after having X and 12 pro
I have a weird question: can the MagSafe popsocket (at least the actual popsocket part) be adjusted in terms of position? I have my (non-Magsafe) popsocket lower than the MagSafe circle on the clear case, for example. I was curious if the pop socket portion has to sit in that specific spot if I get a MagSafe one!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I have a weird question: can the MagSafe popsocket (at least the actual popsocket part) be adjusted in terms of position? I have my (non-Magsafe) popsocket lower than the MagSafe circle on the clear case, for example. I was curious if the pop socket portion has to sit in that specific spot if I get a MagSafe one!

Unfortunately one position right over where the magnets are

Reactions: wineandcarbs

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I just found the max to drag in my pockets and hurt hand by holding it and trying all the phone gymnastics. The plus almost feels like there’s nothing, yet you get a giant screen! Best I’d both worlds IMO

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I will never get anything smaller than a max. I have had all the larger iPhones since the 6+ and before that I used Samsung phablets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.