Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I found a way to speed up TFF.
Here is what I did:
Set Cache to 0MB
Turned off: Use autoscrolling, Use Smooth Scrolling and Use Hardware acceleration when available. This makes TFF stock pinwheeling while using it on a Leopard Install with under 1GB RAM.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I found a way to speed up TFF.
Here is what I did:
Set Cache to 0MB
Turned off: Use autoscrolling, Use Smooth Scrolling and Use Hardware acceleration when available. This makes TFF stock pinwheeling while using it on a Leopard Install with under 1GB RAM.

Disabling hardware acceleration would increase CPU usage...

wolf1734

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
France
BluHell is pretty damn light. I almost never notice it, except when on Facebook. That is the only site that I have run across that BluHell does not work with.

hello I want to know how I can do to open the games on facebook tentoufox because I have a flash player problem on the G5 thank you

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
hello I want to know how I can do to open the games on facebook tentoufox because I have a flash player problem on the G5 thank you
You have to use a different browser. Flash is a plugin and plugins are disabled in TenFourFox for security reasons.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

There is a spoofed plug in which reports as Flash 11 but it is only available for Leopard WebKit. If possible, I would avoid all Flash on PowerPC Macs.

wolf1734

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
France
There is a spoofed plug in which reports as Flash 11 but it is only available for Leopard WebKit. If possible, I would avoid all Flash on PowerPC Macs.

hello
thank you but even on the safari facebook games not working yet I flash player 11 and it 's wrong . we can put flash player above as example 17 thanks very much

wolf1734

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
France
I doubt you will get Facebook games to work well if at all using Flash.

hello
I wonder if it is possible to flash supperior to 11.5 pc on g5 power so to have games facebook thank you if you have modified the upper plug
cordially

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
hello
I wonder if it is possible to flash supperior to 11.5 pc on g5 power so to have games facebook thank you if you have modified the upper plug
cordially

Even if someone did modify the PowerPC version of Flash to spoof a higher version number, it's still in reality version 10.1 and won't work with any games that need the newer features. PowerPC just isn't the right platform for Flash games unfortunately, although a few like Farm Heroes Saga still do ok on a G5.

wolf1734

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
France
Even if someone did modify the PowerPC version of Flash to spoof a higher version number, it's still in reality version 10.1 and won't work with any games that need the newer features. PowerPC just isn't the right platform for Flash games unfortunately, although a few like Farm Heroes Saga still do ok on a G5.

hello
I thank you, but we can put Flash 11.5 on ppc but this is not enough yet but I'm glad you're replied thank you

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
hello
I thank you, but we can put Flash 11.5 on ppc but this is not enough yet but I'm glad you're replied thank you
I can put a Ferrari insignia on a Fiat too. Doesn't make the Fiat a Ferrari.

The spoofed version number is only fooling websites. It doesn't make it 11.5.

wolf1734

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
France
I can put a Ferrari insignia on a Fiat too. Doesn't make the Fiat a Ferrari.

The spoofed version number is only fooling websites. It doesn't make it 11.5.

good evening
I certifiz that happens on 11.5 ppc because I instaler and when I verifis player on the flash site it gives me very cordially 11.5

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
good evening
I certifiz that happens on 11.5 ppc because I instaler and when I verifis player on the flash site it gives me very cordially 11.5
The last available version for PowerPC was 10.1.102.64.

There are at last count two hacked versions of 10.1.102.64 that will report 11.5 to any website and flash detector. The hacking is only to change the reporting of the version number, it does NOT change the version of Flash itself, which is still 10.1.102.64.

The whole point of the hack is to fool websites, but the actual version itself is not changed.

We can continue to argue this if you like, but it doesn't change the fact that there is nothing available to you that is going to allow you to run Facebook Flash-based games on a PowerPC Mac.

wolf1734

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
France
The last available version for PowerPC was 10.1.102.64.

There are at last count two hacked versions of 10.1.102.64 that will report 11.5 to any website and flash detector. The hacking is only to change the reporting of the version number, it does NOT change the version of Flash itself, which is still 10.1.102.64.

The whole point of the hack is to fool websites, but the actual version itself is not changed.

We can continue to argue this if you like, but it doesn't change the fact that there is nothing available to you that is going to allow you to run Facebook Flash-based games on a PowerPC Mac.

hello
ok ok thank you intelligence but I hope someone going to find the change so that the games work on facebook cordially

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
Am I the only one that notices a very heavy CPU usage when downloading files with TenFourFox? It doesn't happen with Safari/Webkit... Any idea why?

Also, thank you for the tips. Weirdly, I didn't notice that much of a difference. :( I'll have to deeply test it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Am I the only one that notices a very heavy CPU usage when downloading files with TenFourFox? It doesn't happen with Safari/Webkit... Any idea why?

Also, thank you for the tips. Weirdly, I didn't notice that much of a difference. :( I'll have to deeply test it.
I'm not noticing any abnormal CPU usage during downloads.

Speed of the browser slows down of course, but that is to be expected. You are browsing while downloading.

If you have a fast connection already, the changes in this thread are less noticeable.

The real thing here that you are looking for is just how fast your CPU load returns to idle from the time you connect to a page and the time it's fully loaded. Everything in here is geared towards reducing CPU load because it's actually CPU load that is what slows down the browser.

Do you have any addons that could be suspect in regards to downloads?

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Probably. Not something I'm going to write though, at least right now.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I came across two items in about:config that should also be mentioned. Set "layers.acceleration.draw-fps" to true and "layers.acceleration.force-enabled" to true as well. It seems to really speed up scrolling and overall responsiveness.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
^^^You may also want to see if you have the layers.acceleration.disabled setting. If that is set to true, neither of Altemose's suggestions above will be honored.

Reactions: Altemose

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I've been playing around with the Vimperator addon which makes Firefox behave like Vim. If you're a heavy vi or vim user like me, you'll probably fall in love with it. If not, it may take some time to get used to, but it is very good. You can do everything you need to do from the command line at the bottom of the browser window and Vimperator lets you delete Firefox's GUI entirely. There's a noticeable speed improvement on my PowerBook after doing this.

To get rid of the GUI, install Vimperator and set the following line in your ~/.vimperatorrc file (create it if it doesn't exist):

Code:
:set gui=none

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Two more…these deal with font rendering. Turning them off (disabled) gives a small boost.

layout.css.osx-font-smoothing.enabled
gfx.use_text_smoothing_setting

Not sure if these have been here before or if they are T4Fx 38 related.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I came across two items in about:config that should also be mentioned. Set "layers.acceleration.draw-fps" to true and "layers.acceleration.force-enabled" to true as well. It seems to really speed up scrolling and overall responsiveness.
I have to make a small correction here. This was actually mentioned in Post 32 by @556fmjoe.

I was scrolling back through the thread today for something else and saw that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.