Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tom Weston

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2015
Outstanding work on this eyoungren - and Altemose, as well.
A neighbor gave me a DC 2GHz G5 earlier this week, and it looked like it would be fun to play around with.
Yesterday, I installed Tiger on a 128GB SSD (Sandisk Ultra2 - works in both upper & lower bays) downloaded TFF 38.2 and tweaked it using the info in this thread - and the speed is very impressive.
Pages load instantly - no lag or beachballing anywhere.
It was a very pleasant surprise!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Outstanding work on this eyoungren - and Altemose, as well.
A neighbor gave me a DC 2GHz G5 earlier this week, and it looked like it would be fun to play around with.
Yesterday, I installed Tiger on a 128GB SSD (Sandisk Ultra2 - works in both upper & lower bays) downloaded TFF 38.2 and tweaked it using the info in this thread - and the speed is very impressive.
Pages load instantly - no lag or beachballing anywhere.
It was a very pleasant surprise!
Glad we could help Tom!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
So I was looking for something else tonight and low and behold I discovered that because my profile has bounced around between T4Fx, Aurora (T4Fx for Leopard only, now totally outdated) and Firefox I had plugins disabled with firefox.plugins.enable (false) and tenfourfox.plugins.enable (false) but NOT with aurora.plugins.enable (true)! So, I switched it to false.

Now I don't think that has any effect, except if I were to go back to Aurora, but it might have who knows. But my speeds have increased quite a bit.

But here is the other thing. Since…I found that setting it had me investigate other Mozilla based browsers that my profile has been used with over the years and when I got to "navigator" (as in Netscape Navigator) I found these settings.

media.navigator.enabled and
media.navigator.load_adapt

Both of these were true. By default the first one is supposed to be false so if you check them and they are set to false, leave them there. In my case, I have no idea when I may have switched them. But if yours are true, then try setting them to false.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
And another for you guys. This one is an additional pipelining tweak.

network.http.pipelining.abtest

Set to true!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I'm clearing initial page load in an average of 4 seconds (courtesty of ngpaintdelay) and a total page load in a little over 10 seconds.

In between those six seconds I'm already reading the page because ngpaintdelay has served up content at the 4 second mark.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
For those of you who would rather deal with about:config without going to about:config or using Altemose's provided file, there is this addon here.

I have not tried it myself so I cannot either recommend it or criticize it. I don't know if it covers all of the tweaks I've made (I doubt it) but based on the preview image alone it looks as if it gets the major stuff.

As always, YMMV.

Reactions: Altemose

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Erik, just ran across a couple more TFF tweaks that don't appear to be in your tweak-file that you may or may not be aware of.
If you feel they are worthy, then maybe you can add them to the total, after all every little bit helps.
I've included them in my "about config:" and they do not appear to do any harm.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Erik, just ran across a couple more TFF tweaks that don't appear to be in your tweak-file that you may or may not be aware of.
If you feel they are worthy, then maybe you can add them to the total, after all every little bit helps.
I've included them in my "about config:" and they do not appear to do any harm.

Yeah, these are more animation type tweaks that affect the interface. As you say every little bit helps. I'll add them.

I do want to take the opportunity since you brought it up though (with this link) to mention BluHell Firewall again. The linked page suggests AdBlock Plus or AdBlock Edge. I do not recommend those as ad blockers at all. Both of them have memory leaks and just adding them can negate almost everything you do here.

Use BluHell Firewall for your ad blocker. ;)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I've been a BluHell user since way back when I first read mention of it in this very thread, never had a problem.
Good to hear! Glad what I've found and used has helped others. I of course am always on the lookout for either the "next best thing" or "better". If I ever run across something better you guys will be the next to know.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Ran across this page tonight: http://www.computershowto.pro/2014/05/firefox-memory-and-config-tweaks-to-make-firefox-faster/

I am evaluating at the moment because there are a few in here I didn't have, but it appears this person seems to have several of the same, if not the exact values I'm using.

I will advise after a while if they seem to be worth implementing or not, but you of course are completely free to try them if you like and report your results here.

At first glance I do like what I am seeing however.

Reactions: Gamer9430

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Allright, so some good options here!

browser.cache.compression_level;5 – This setting determines whether Firefox compresses the data in the disk cache, reducing the size of it.

browser.dom.global_scope_pollution;disabled – Disable the more agressive emulation of IE's "IDs directly accessible in the global scope" behavior. I have no idea what this means but I had to create a new boolean.

browser.fixup.alternate.enabled;false – Disable Firefox/TenFourFox/Mozilla adding "www" when trying to resolve a domain name.

image.cache.size;132768 – Changing the cache size for images.

image.http.accept;image/png,image/*;q=0.1,*/*;q=0.1 – Network headers. You are essentially telling the browser to accept images equally when loading.

image.cache.timeweight;4000 – Time to discard decoded images from cache.

There are a few more I tried, but if you follow the link you can see the rest of the entire list. I'll post the rest I tried later. That's it for now.

@Altemose, you're up man!

Reactions: jbarley

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Just wanted to say thank you eyoungren! I recently got the G4 that was laying around our house set up with 10.4 and despite the lowly 500 MHz processor, TenFourFox runs pretty well with your improvements! :D

I'll be sure to let you know how it runs when I get 10.4 on one of the G3s I have as well.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Just wanted to say thank you eyoungren! I recently got the G4 that was laying around our house set up with 10.4 and despite the lowly 500 MHz processor, TenFourFox runs pretty well with your improvements! :D

I'll be sure to let you know how it runs when I get 10.4 on one of the G3s I have as well.
That's great to hear! I am glad that this thread has been helpful. I'm always on the lookout for new tweaks (if they exist) so keep an eye on the thread for any new stuff.

Reactions: Slix

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Disable Reader View to get a little memory/speed back.

reader.parse-on-load.enabled: false

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
network.dns.get-ttl: true
ipv6ident.async: false
ipv6ident.XXXXX: where 'X' is whatever setting you find, all false

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Currently testing uBlock Origin and uMatrix addons.

These two so far have replaced four addons, Request Policy, NoScript, RefControl and Default User Agent.

uMatrix itself does the functions of Request Policy and NoScript together.

EDIT: uBlock is unnecessary. Does the same thing as BluHell Firewall (it's an ad blocker).

uMatrix seems to be working fairly well though. Much finer grained control than Request Policy.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
OK!

I recommend uMatrix as a replacement for Request Policy and NoScript! It's slightly more involved, but once you get it tuned it's downright awesome!

Tip: RED means block. GREEN means allow!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I'm getting 4 to 6 second initial page loads with 9-12 seconds for completion if anyone cares to know.

Don't know what anyone else is getting but I feel that this is quite fast considering the machines we all use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.