Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Nothing to discuss now but this looks hilarious.

Can’t wait for Friday!

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I saw only the first episode. Characters are likable enough and the setup has potential. But I found the writing to be forced and it just wasn't all that funny. Silicon Valley this is not.

I read that episode 5 is particularly good, so I will watch 4 more before making more critical judgment.

• Sad
Reactions: jbachandouris

mguzman

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2007
Up to now I watched the free Apple TV+ episodes provided but none of them inspired me to even do the free trial. “For All Mankind” came close but one show was not enough. Mythic Quest changed that. I watched the two free episodes and quickly signed up for the free Apple+ trial subscription so I could binge season 1. I’ll admit to being a fan of “Always Sunny in Philadelphia” so the humor in MQ was perfect for me.

I’ve downloaded the remaining “For All Mankind” and “The Morning Show“ episodes but that exhausts the current Apple TV+ series I have any interest in. So I may not continue after the free trial but wait until Foundation, Amazing Stories, Lisey’s Story, and some other series of interest are released to fully subscribe.

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
I burned through all 9 episodes in two days. I didn't think I would like it enough, but it worked for me.

I saw only the first episode. Characters are likable enough and the setup has potential. But I found the writing to be forced and it just wasn't all that funny. Silicon Valley this is not.

I read that episode 5 is particularly good, so I will watch 4 more before making more critical judgment.
SV had Mike Judge's great comedic timing and topical integration. Not many show creators can pull that off. All shows are different and MQ finds it's voice after a few episodes. I started getting the humor on episode 3. If you get that far, take a look at the whiteboard during the diversity committee. Funny stuff. Like you mentioned, it's definitely worth watching until episode 5.

Up to now I watched the free Apple TV+ episodes provided but none of them inspired me to even do the free trial. “For All Mankind” came close but one show was not enough. Mythic Quest changed that.
TMS is good, but give Servant a try. I was hooked on that show from the first episode.

Reactions: Meuti

Varking

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
I am through all of this season now and fell more in love with the show as it went on. Gloriously funny. Best show in my eyes on this platform since See. Watching The Morning Show now!

Reactions: iOS Geek and Meuti

Kevin Rohrer

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2009
Medina, Ohio USA
The created a show for adults, when it should have been aimed at a wider audience.

Kill the juvenile language, quit making just another show that highlights homosexuality, and make the characters more outrageous.

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

Varking

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
The created a show for adults, when it should have been aimed at a wider audience.

Kill the juvenile language, quit making just another show that highlights homosexuality, and make the characters more outrageous.
The characters were super outrageous. Ion, Pootie, the old man who does the backstory were all over the top.

Reactions: iOS Geek and Meuti

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Just finished the entire season. It was good, but not great. It was enjoyable and it kept me watching but it wasn't often I would laugh out loud.

Are they being held back by Apple's rather extreme restrictions in-terms of explict language and sexuality? It feels like the writes really want to push things further but they couldn't making a lot of the interactions and joke's falling short.

The production quality feels solid, but a lot of the "in-game" stuff looks rather bad. Having a series that is going all-in as being the company and developers behind the most popular game ever and yet have the actual visuals and various jokes and whatnot happening from within the game looking so rough is rather awkward. Everything is pre-rendered so why doesn't it look and work better than this?

And how come the scene from Red Dead Redemption 2 does not have the original voices? Did they somehow manage to pay for the license to use the visuals but not the voices??

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
SV had Mike Judge's great comedic timing and topical integration. Not many show creators can pull that off. All shows are different and MQ finds it's voice after a few episodes. I started getting the humor on episode 3. If you get that far, take a look at the whiteboard during the diversity committee. Funny stuff. Like you mentioned, it's definitely worth watching until episode 5.
I finished episode 3. You are right. While I don't think the series is as good as SV, MQ is starting to grow on me. A large part of that has to do with characters. Poppy, Longbottom, and Jo in particular, but everyone except Pootie are very likable (thankfully, it seems Pootie is on the way out).

Varking

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
I finished episode 3. You are right. While I don't think the series is as good as SV, MQ is starting to grow on me. A large part of that has to do with characters. Poppy, Longbottom, and Jo in particular, but everyone except Pootie are very likable (thankfully, it seems Pootie is on the way out).
I love Poppy. My favorite character of the whole show so far.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Just watched episode 5, A Dark Quiet Death. Even at svelte 35 minute running time, it felt like a movie, with a strong Halt and Catch Fire vibe. The show runners should be applauded for having the guts to produce a standalone episode in the mid season (on the first season no less), and such a strong one at that.

I am particularly blown away by Cristin Milioti's performance, who played Bean. And it's a pleasure to see Geoffrey Owens, a hard working actor from the Cosby Show who has the integrity and dignity to take a side job at Trader Joe's to support his family.

I am guessing this episode will serve as the foundation for each of the principal character's position. Artistic integrity vs. fame and fortune. Especially for Poppy, who is at the crossroad in her career.

Meuti

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2019
I just finished the season and I am totally in love with this show. While I have not been disappointed of any of the content so far (not even Truth Be Told, even if it was the "lamest") Mythic Quest is definitely my favorite. Hilarious humor, amazing cast and characters and awesome writing - When I read about the setting I would have never believed I would enjoy this show, but now I really can't wait for the next season. Highly recommended!

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Hilarious humor, amazing cast and characters and awesome writing - When I read about the setting I would have never believed I would enjoy this show, but now I really can't wait for the next season. Highly recommended!
I just finished as well. The show improved dramatically after episode 3, just as FightTheFuture indicated.

To me, a large part of the show's success are incredible cast and writing. I didn't watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, but this show reminds me of The Office (not Silicon Valley). How these mismatched and dysfunctional characters get along and learn to work together, by developing empathy for one another.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Just finished the entire season. It was good, but not great. It was enjoyable and it kept me watching but it wasn't often I would laugh out loud.

This is my opinion of it. I enjoyed it, and will definitely watch future seasons, but it lacked whatever that certain something is that elevates the great shows above merely good shows.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
I didn’t like this at first but returned to it for another shot. By the third episode it had grown on me in a big way. Now I’m smitten. Such a fun show, and the cast are beginning to reveal nuances and depths of character that keep me coming back for more. Only the finale left to watch, and I’ll miss it when it’s finished.

An unexpectedly excellent jewel in the Apple TV+ crown. Love it ?

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I thought it was good, but not great. I tried to go into it and not compare it to Silicon Valley but couldn't help it.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I think I laughed more in that episode than the rest of the series combined!

Also, I can see now why they didn’t use FaceTime! :p

If that was all genuinely filmed on iPhones I’m impressed. It looked perfect, just as good as normal. To be realistic though they should have made it look much worse, since much of the time people are meant to be using MacBooks!

Reactions: mnsportsgeek

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I think I laughed more in that episode than the rest of the series combined!

Also, I can see now why they didn’t use FaceTime! :p

If that was all genuinely filmed on iPhones I’m impressed. It looked perfect, just as good as normal. To be realistic though they should have made it look much worse, since much of the time people are meant to be using MacBooks!

It made me laugh a lot too! I wondered why they didn’t use FaceTime. Why not? Surprised me.

hopefully that makes Apple put decent cameras on their macs now.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
It made me laugh a lot too! I wondered why they didn’t use FaceTime. Why not? Surprised me.

hopefully that makes Apple put decent cameras on their macs now.
Because they wanted to portray the service they were using in a kinda bad light, whereas Apple would want FaceTime to look great. Also, FaceTime doesn’t have screen sharing. Also, FaceTime would’ve wasted so much screen estate.

What the heck was that IDE Poppy was using? It had line numbers like a text editor, but it was a CLI, but a CLI you click on. Erm....

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
What the heck was that IDE Poppy was using? It had line numbers like a text editor, but it was a CLI, but a CLI you click on. Erm....
Microsoft Visual Studio Code. Yes, you cannot execute CLI from the source code window, nor does it dynamically and automatically fetch and merge latest source code with Ian's comments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.