Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
In life imitating art, Mythic Quest raised $600,000 (with series creator McElhenney matching $300,000) for COVID-19 (source: Variety).
Within the story, David proposes that the company give back because it is profiting so much off of people who are looking for entertainment while sitting around at home. Brad (Danny Pudi) doesn’t like to give things away without getting something in return, hence the wager for David’s mustache as they battle it out on a video game. In the end, Brad donates the money on behalf of the company and Ian matches it personally. And life is imitating art because the “Mythic Quest” team raised $300,000 for Mercy Corps’ COVID-19 relief fund, which McElhenney and his wife Kaitlin Olson personally matched.

“As we came up with the conceit of the company donating money, then I thought, ‘Wow this would be really cool if we could figure out a way in which we as a show were doing the same,'” McElhenney says. “The organization is a global one that is doing some of the best work out there for those affected by this pandemic. What we were what we’re hoping is that we can raise awareness for this incredible organization. But we also want to be very respectful of our audience who has been asked to give and give and give and give. And they have responded, and I know because I’ve run a couple of fundraisers over the course of the last three or four months and people continue to give and I know that people can’t afford to give. Of course I want people, if they can, to continue to give, but I also feel like I don’t want to ask anyone for anything else anymore. The audience has had it rough and they’re going to have a rough couple of maybe years. So this is just something we’re putting out in the world and if you can give, great, but we just hope you enjoy the show.”

Reactions: Meuti

Meuti

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2019
That episode was really amazing... They nailed several spots of this quarantine so well. I laughed my heart out. Just for this episode alone it is now my favorite show on Apple TV+ ?

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
I'm in Australia and the quarantine episode is still not available here, more than 12 hours after it aired in the US.

I didn't know Apple TV+ episodes are location specific?

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
The quarantine episode is hilarious and my favorite episode of the show. It's awesome and I'll miss the show until the next season.

powerslave12r

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
This feels like some parts Community, Silicon Valley and just Mac from IASIP.

Good show, I hope it builds on this.

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
The start of it annoyed me though. It didn’t make sense that they could answer the call whilst being offline.

MacAddictPM

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2019
The Quarantine special was excellent! The writing and producing is above and beyond. I mean the last scene during the Zoom meet upand string together the labyrinth from screen to screen was brilliant. By far my favorite show on ATV+.

Reactions: Meuti

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
The created a show for adults, when it should have been aimed at a wider audience.

Kill the juvenile language, quit making just another show that highlights homosexuality, and make the characters more outrageous.
Exactly. I was excited to watch until I started reading about the R rated stuff. And I agree I have nothing against homosexuality or interracial, but near everything new I watch has it.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I must say that I sometimes liked this better than Silicon Valley, I must admit that I haven't seen the last season of SV but I'm planning to.

IamScotty

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2018
I have stopped watching after episode 1 it's a cool idea but come on what's with the sexual pedophilia signs in the show very disgusting I wouldn't let your children watch this. If you pay attention to some of the signs you will notice.

Mercifull

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
I have stopped watching after episode 1 it's a cool idea but come on what's with the sexual pedophilia signs in the show very disgusting I wouldn't let your children watch this. If you pay attention to some of the signs you will notice.
Huh? Not sure the rest of us watched the same show as you... Give it another shot, the episode S1E5 is a masterpiece.

stephenschimpf

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2018
San Pedro, CA
Huh? Not sure the rest of us watched the same show as you... Give it another shot, the episode S1E5 is a masterpiece.

Yes! I loved that episode! It was strange, but in a wonderful way. The actress who played Bean seemed so familiar to me, and I later realized it's the same actress who played Zelda in the short-lived A to Z. (The title of every episode started with the next alphabet letter, and I think they only got to M.)

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Wow, I really hated this episode, but happy you guys liked it. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to season 2.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Breaking Brad (S2E04) was excellent, the best entry of this season.

While Brad vs. his brother Zack was largely predictable, it was executed perfectly. It humanized and developed one dimensional character arc that was Brad. The episode also raises many questions, such as the future of Mythic Quest (the game not the show) and Jo (whose image of Brad as the alpha is now shattered, but she might also seek vengeance).

Equally effective is how Ian was able to shut Rachel. Love him or hate him, Ian is the master of articulating and crystalizing the reality. Although without much success, Dana knows what she wants. Rachel is a complainer. Porsche side story was a bit lame though. There's no way Ian doesn't know how to drive a stick.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Just discovered this one... not sure how I missed it... funny, entertaining time suck... will continue (just finished episode 5, really confused about what that was and where it came from).

Varking

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
Just discovered this one... not sure how I missed it... funny, entertaining time suck... will continue (just finished episode 5, really confused about what that was and where it came from).
You are going through season 1 right now? Its terrific!

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Wow, S2E6 was really incredible to me. One of my favorites so far.

Spoiler alert...

I think it exposes CW as the fraud that he really is... having "rewritten" Tears of Anaren, apparently using Asimov's notes... and the conversation with Anne at the Nebula Awards confirms this... CW refers to himself as "a poor man's Asimov", and Anne comments that it reads "exactly like Asimov"... and then we fast forward to the Renaissance Faire where and older, drunk CW is hawking roasted chicken, clearly having failed as a writer.

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I enjoyed season 2. However, with the last episode ending like it did, it makes me wonder if it will be renewed. Anyone else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.