Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today introduced a version of OneNote that is designed to run on the Apple Vision Pro headset. OneNote for Vision Pro was created for visionOS, and it includes many of the features that are available on OneNote for iPad.

microsoft-onenote-vision-pro.jpg

The app can be used to write memos, notes, and digital notebooks, and there are options to sync content to OneDrive for access across multiple platforms. There is support for tags like Important and To Do, and notes can be protected with a password.

OneNote on Vision Pro works hands-free or with a connected keyboard and mouse. In the future, Microsoft plans to add support for Copilot, two-factor authentication, and inserting images from the camera or the Photos app.

OneNote can be downloaded from the visionOS App Store as of today. It works with personal and work accounts that are not managed by an organization.

Microsoft has made many of its apps available on the Vision Pro, including Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.

Article Link: Native Microsoft OneNote App Now Available for Apple Vision Pro

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Do you think Apple paid MS for this? Doesn't seem to be a profitable venture for MS, although they like the 'Onenote' everywhere roadmap.
I'd expect the number of hours needed to do this basically amounted to a rounding error for MSFT. It doesn't sound like they really added anything particularly Vision Pro-specific to the app, so it's basically just their approach of being on all platforms continuing. I'm not reading this as a major bet on the Vision Pro from MSFT.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Do you think Apple paid MS for this? Doesn't seem to be a profitable venture for MS, although they like the 'Onenote' everywhere roadmap.

No. I think Microsoft understands the potential of AVP and wants to have apps available for it. Expect more to come in the near future.

Correct. Microsoft (Steve Balmer) laughed when Apple introduced the iPhone. They lost a multi-decade long monopoly. I don't think they want to make that mistake again.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
The app can be used to write memos, notes, and digital notebooks, and there are options to sync content to OneDrive for access across multiple platforms.
There is no OneDrive app available yet on Vision Pro though, correct? Waiting on that.

Massy1989

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2016
Call me when Microsoft Loop shows up on Vision Pro, too…

The overlap between OneNote and Loop is crazy — and now there’s support for Loop components in OneNote. So much choice you’re confused where to even start! Pass. (if I owned a Vision Pro, that is!)

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
Until Microsoft allows intune/Authenticator on AVP these apps remain useless for many in corporate environments. It’s a real shame.
Because all 3 users want this? How many people that own the AVP want to integrate it with Intune? Probably less than want to use OneNote on the AVP, which is likely NO ONE.

• Disagree
Reactions: jhfenton

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
Call me when Microsoft Loop shows up on Vision Pro, too…

The overlap between OneNote and Loop is crazy — and now there’s support for Loop components in OneNote. So much choice you’re confused where to even start! Pass. (if I owned a Vision Pro, that is!)
This is Microsoft. They have so many tools that overlap. Planner, Lists, To Do, Project, Loop, OneNote etc. All of which can live in Teams, including email and calendar. Microsoft has a whole department "Customer Confusion" that also renames stuff randomly.

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
Correct. Microsoft (Steve Balmer) laughed when Apple introduced the iPhone. They lost a multi-decade long monopoly. I don't think they want to make that mistake again.
I am going to go out on a limb and predict that the AVP in its current form, or anything close too it, will NEVER be the next iPhone. I would love to know actual number of requests they got from AVP customers, asking to have OneNote.

I feel like I am reading and Onion post.

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022
I am going to go out on a limb and predict that the AVP in its current form, or anything close too it, will NEVER be the next iPhone. I would love to know actual number of requests they got from AVP customers, asking to have OneNote.

I feel like I am reading and Onion post.
I don't think you're out on a limb. When people got the first iPhones, everyone could see their potential. You can walk around with them, put them in your pocket and look cool. Even the first iPhone was cool and useful.

The VisionPro is completely the opposite in every way. Rubbish battery life (a battery pack strapped to your belt - seriously??), they don't look cool, most people can't see their potential (make notes with them - great...), and you can't walk around with them without looking like a complete ****...

DanVM

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2022
This is Microsoft. They have so many tools that overlap. Planner, Lists, To Do, Project, Loop, OneNote etc. All of which can live in Teams, including email and calendar. Microsoft has a whole department "Customer Confusion" that also renames stuff randomly.
Microsoft already consolidate their task's and project apps with the latest version of Planner,
The new Microsoft Planner: A unified experience bringing together to-dos, tasks, plans and projects - Microsoft Community Hub

Hope they do the same with Loop and OneNote.

Last edited:
Reactions: anakin44011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.