Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
doesnt work for me. set the date back and ios is the 5.1.1 and install still fails. deleted app then tried again now it wont connect to github. think ive wasted enough time with this.

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
Installed it but when i go download a game it doesnt do anything. Might be my slow connection. Will give it a try tomorrow over wifi

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Installed it but when i go download a game it doesnt do anything. Might be my slow connection. Will give it a try tomorrow over wifi

It's most likely the connection, when you download a rom via the linked site in the app, it looks like there's nothing happening but Safari is downloading the rom, once the zip is downloaded completely, you'll get a selection of apps to open it with, there you choose NDS4iOS and the rom appears in the rom list.

I have the same issue as I had with the GBA4iOS app - I cannot sync dropbox, it says "error loading app info".

I've only tried Pokemon Black so far, it's painfully slow on the ipad mini, haven't tried the emulator on the ipad 3 yet. I think I'll move on...

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
The git hub is connecting now that I put the correct date but its still not finishing the install on 5.1.1 when i put the date back. not sure how people have this working.

if its slow as dec. says it is then maybe its not even worth it on an ipad one if the ipad mini is slow.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I don't get it - how can this "app" be downloaded outside of the App Store on iOS? Is it an exploit of some sort?

There are two kinds of developer licenses: The "normal" license is used to put apps on the App Store. But companies can buy an "Enterprise" license: With an "Enterprise license" you can write apps that don't go on the App Store and that can be run on any device, but the company with the Enterprise license has to sign a contract that they are not making these apps available to anyone outside the company. So with an Enterprise license you can write apps that your employees can use, and nobody else.

It seems these guys are using an enterprise license in violation of their contract. And Apple has revoked the license, which means you have to set your iOS device to a date before Apple revoked the license.

----------

Nope. Apparently its completely legit and was designed by Apple for companies to be able distribute their own apps internally without having to post them to the app store

The method is legit. But since you are not an employee of the company that was given this license, giving the app to you is in breach of the license contract. I couldn't say whether it is legal for you to download the app.

afawcett

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
San Diego
Only thing that bothers me about this is that, if you do a restore, you lose all your progress from games!

I had the Game Boy emulator, did a restore completely forgetting about it, and then I found out I lost my progress in a few games...

Maybe there's a way to save this progress even when doing restores/updates? Does anyone know?

I have actually restored before realizing in dismay that GBA4IOS was gone and I had probably lost my save files. After re-installing I was surprised to fine it had kept my data. On one hand I was very happy I didn't lose all my progress but on the other it made me question how much data is kept during a restore. It doesn't clean the junk files as well as I thought it did.

Anyways, as many people have pointed out it does have Dropbox support. The really beauty of this is that your saves sync across devices!

moabal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
It is not an exploit to use this on a non-jailbroken iDevice. Simply make Certificate & Provisioning files either from your own developer account or purchased from one of those "UDID Registration" sites or something.

Then simply sign an IPA file with InstaSign or Zeusmos and install on your iDeivce. There is no need to set your clock back to 2012 or whatever.

Hope this helps!

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
For those that are having issues getting it to work, initiate the download, change the date to before Feb 2014, open the app, then change the date back to auto. You can't leave the date/time different from current because nothing will download and it causes a lot of syncing problems (DropBox won't sync, etc).

It took a while for it to download a game to mine on a 15Mbps connection. Probably 1-2 minutes. It would be nice to have a progress indicator so you know it's not hanging.

As for the speed, it's dropping frames enough on my iPhone 5 to notice and the sound slows down. It's nothing that keeps the game from being played though and makes Mario Kart easier actually but not nearly as fast paced. I'd imagine its smooth on the 5S or iPad Air as long as it's optimized for the A7.

To be honest, it's pretty crazy that I can play a high quality NDS game on my iPhone.

Oh and DropBox sync support is awesome. I had to get my previous iP5 replaced and after I reinstalled GBA4iOS and turned on DropBox sync all my saves were seen and the games played exactly where I left off. Super convenient and makes using emulators on mobile devices worth it. Before that it was too much of a hassle to have to start the games all over again.

The only downside to GBA4iOS and NDS4iOS is that they still use the old d-pad's which can be frustrating on a touchscreen as they don't move around as your thumb tends to. A floating joystick ala Secret of Mana (App Store version) would be much, much better.

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Only thing that bothers me about this is that, if you do a restore, you lose all your progress from games!

I had the Game Boy emulator, did a restore completely forgetting about it, and then I found out I lost my progress in a few games...

Maybe there's a way to save this progress even when doing restores/updates? Does anyone know?

This app can sync your progress with Dropbox.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
It uses a certificate that Apple have invalidated, you set the date to prior to the invalidation. It's basically how businesses that make their own apps for internal use distributes their own apps.

Invalidated certificates and setting the date back have nothing to do with how businesses make and distribute their own internal apps.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Well, it looks like this emulator provides a pretty sh****ty experience.

----------

Invalidated certificates and setting the date back have nothing to do with how businesses make and distribute their own internal apps.

Not the ones operating above board anyway.

----------

LOL... 61 FPS on a DS game, being played on an iPhone.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Nintendo are missing a trick here with being stubborn and not being open to change. They could release their own official emu, give a game away with it and then offer an entire back catalog via in app purchase for like £1 and make a ton for games they have gathering dust! Even if it's only NES/SNES/GB/GBA games! Even some original DS games too.

By that logic, Apple is missing a trick by not releasing a non-Mac version of OS X.

garya73

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2013
Delaware, USA
By that logic, Apple is missing a trick by not releasing a non-Mac version of OS X.

I'm curious as to how many people have downloaded the emulator and are actively playing games on it.

I do think Nintendo is shooting themselves in the foot by not taking advantage of this demand for iOS gameplay. They could release older games or less intensive games in the app store, and keep the others exclusive for the handhelds. They would probably even gain some business from those who try the emulator and want to move to the handheld for the full experience. People would pay because they know the Nintendo name and their game history.

I think the only reason why they are succeeding in the handheld arena is that nobody else is really playing in it. Sure, the new generation gaming devices (xbox one, ps4) have tie-ins with iOS, but you need the actual machine to get the full experience.

Bhalloran312

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2014
Beware

I downloaded this and since then the text messaging, iMessage, emailing and voicemail on my iPhone 5s are all nonfunctional.

Macrumors should vet these things before they post them. This software is crap.

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
GBA4iPhone has an option to sync saves to Dropbox automatically. This one probably does too. I'd enable it.

Ha! You're right... Wish I would have known that before hand... oh well :(
I can start again I guess!

On another note... does anyone else find that the DS games run a bit slow on their devices? I'm on an iPhone 5, and Mario Kart for example seems rather slow. What's the experience on a 5S?

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
I downloaded this and since then the text messaging, iMessage, emailing and voicemail on my iPhone 5s are all nonfunctional.

im restoring now... screwed up my ipad. dont use!

Blackforge

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008

Once the app is installed/ran, set your time/date back.

Authentication tokens are time-sensitive these days.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009

That comparison doesn't work because Apple doesn't make any money off OSX. Nintendo on the other hand makes money off both hardware and software but their hardware margin is getting squeezed so they may consider selling software on other platforms.

The more apt comparison would be Apple not releasing iTunes for Windows and missing out on the iPods and later iPhones sales to Windows users. That's exactly what Apple has done despite Jobs' initial protest.

http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/...-the-butterfly-that-started-the-apple-tsunami

We argued with Steve a bunch [about putting iTunes on Windows], and he said no. Finally, Phil Schiller and I said 'we're going to do it.' And Steve said, '**** you guys, do whatever you want. You're responsible.' And he stormed out of the room." - Jon Rubinstein

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.