Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
If this was a legal emulator, it would be done thru the App Store.

Show me ANY emulator in the AppStore allowing for loading any ROM / app under it.

FYI: there isn't one. Emulators in the AppStore have a given set of games / apps and you can't add anything to them. ALL emulators that, in some way, circumvented this restriction and were manually "hackable" (iDOS etc.) have almost immediately been removed from the AppStore.

This (Apple's not allowing generic emulators in the AppStore - mainly to protect their AppStore business) is what I've been speaking of, and not specifically of this single emulator.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
is it illegal to download the roms?

Technically the emulator itself is illegal since it contains Nintendo software on it, the DS BIOS and DS operating system. Any rom that's an official game will be illegal to download, but peoples homemade ds games won't be.

dlweninger

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
For those that are having issues getting it to work, initiate the download, change the date to before Feb 2014, open the app, then change the date back to auto. You can't leave the date/time different from current because nothing will download and it causes a lot of syncing problems (DropBox won't sync, etc).

It took a while for it to download a game to mine on a 15Mbps connection. Probably 1-2 minutes. It would be nice to have a progress indicator so you know it's not hanging.

As for the speed, it's dropping frames enough on my iPhone 5 to notice and the sound slows down. It's nothing that keeps the game from being played though and makes Mario Kart easier actually but not nearly as fast paced. I'd imagine its smooth on the 5S or iPad Air as long as it's optimized for the A7.

My has no sound at all, but it playing at about 65fps on my ipad air.

To be honest, it's pretty crazy that I can play a high quality NDS game on my iPhone.

Oh and DropBox sync support is awesome. I had to get my previous iP5 replaced and after I reinstalled GBA4iOS and turned on DropBox sync all my saves were seen and the games played exactly where I left off. Super convenient and makes using emulators on mobile devices worth it. Before that it was too much of a hassle to have to start the games all over again.

The only downside to GBA4iOS and NDS4iOS is that they still use the old d-pad's which can be frustrating on a touchscreen as they don't move around as your thumb tends to. A floating joystick ala Secret of Mana (App Store version) would be much, much better.

There is a joy stick mode under settings.

----------

I have no sound at all, I have checked all the setting and the volume is all the way up.
It is not playing slow I average about 60-65fps

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I love this app. Every time we are going on a trip, the girls have to load so much stuff in the car for those long boring times. Computers, iPhones, iPads, DS, etc. This is now one less thing to load. Leave the game with all its silly cartridges at home.

It works perfectly on an iPad (1st Gen / 64 GB / AT&T / Jailbroken) and an iPad (3rd Gen / 64 GB / AT&T / not Jailbroken).

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Technically the emulator itself is illegal since it contains Nintendo software on it, the DS BIOS and DS operating system.

But this isn't why it's not allowed into the AppStore. Apple wouldn't let even a "neutered" (BIOS / OS-less) version in the AppStore, as has happened to many other emulators.

Any rom that's an official game will be illegal to download

Nope, if you do own the original cartridge.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Looks fun, but I am not so sure about downloading something from a relatively untrusted source.

You can view the source code if you are really that concerned.

Edit: lol out loud at my comment after Heartbleed bug.

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
:confused: Owning the original doesn't give you the right to download a copy from the internet. It may give you the right to create your own backup from the original.

Well, let's talk about easier-to-backup stuff like C64, ZX Spectrum or anything CD / floppy disk / tape-based. They're pretty easy to be backed up to a current desktop computer. Nevertheless, C64 / ZX Spectrum / etc. emulators capable of running arbitrary (user-added) apps aren't let into the AppStore either.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Well, let's talk about easier-to-backup stuff like C64, ZX Spectrum or anything CD / floppy disk / tape-based. They're pretty easy to be backed up to a current desktop computer. Nevertheless, C64 / ZX Spectrum / etc. emulators capable of running arbitrary (user-added) apps aren't let into the AppStore either.

That has nothing to do with what I said. :)

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
That has nothing to do with what I said. :)

OK, with what you said, it indeed nothing has to do. With the subject of the more extended part of the discussion ("why Apple doesn't let any full, non-restricted emulator in the AppStore"), it does.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
OK, with what you said, it indeed nothing has to do. With the subject of the more extended part of the discussion ("why Apple doesn't let any full, non-restricted emulator in the AppStore"), it does.

Yeah. That's a weird argument. Any legal version on the App Store would include IAPs or some other way to access additional games within the app. Which you don't seem to think counts.

Obviously, Apple doesn't allow unrestricted emulators since that would bypass the iOS security model and the App Store business.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I'm curious as to how many people have downloaded the emulator and are actively playing games on it.

I do think Nintendo is shooting themselves in the foot by not taking advantage of this demand for iOS gameplay. They could release older games or less intensive games in the app store, and keep the others exclusive for the handhelds. They would probably even gain some business from those who try the emulator and want to move to the handheld for the full experience. People would pay because they know the Nintendo name and their game history.

I think the only reason why they are succeeding in the handheld arena is that nobody else is really playing in it. Sure, the new generation gaming devices (xbox one, ps4) have tie-ins with iOS, but you need the actual machine to get the full experience.

People who say stuff like this generally either aren't gamers or don't know a lot about the industry. Generally, iOS games are much weaker experiences than DS/3DS games. Nintendo tries to attract a casual market, but the majority of their market are people looking for deeper experiences than what is available on iOS. There aren't very many iOS games that compare to good DS/3DS games.

Yeah, I know people are going to run in here screaming "Infinity Blade 3/random game with good graphics!", yet most of these are actually fairly shallow experiences. Infinity Blade, for example, is fun, beautiful, but shallow. It recycles content constantly and the game engine isn't really that deep (it's pattern/response memorization, basically a deeper version of Punch-Out!! for NES), and it is fully on rails.

Nintendo uses access to their back library as a competitive advantage. You can buy old games on the 3DS or Wii U. Porting that over would take that away. People come for stuff like the back library and stay for the better games.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Yeah. That's a weird argument. Any legal version on the App Store would include IAPs or some other way to access additional games within the app. Which you don't seem to think counts.

I've always spoken of running arbitrary apps. Not everybody wants the pre-set set of games in these emulators.

Obviously, Apple doesn't allow unrestricted emulators since that would bypass ... the App Store business.

Yup, the same I've stated above when referring to Apple's not wanting to give people emulators capable of running any legacy game. This is why they've removed all "hackable" emulators (iDOS, some early versions of the C64 emulator etc.)

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I've always spoken of running arbitrary apps. Not everybody wants the pre-set set of games in these emulators.

Maybe, but you were responding to someone who simply specified "a legal emulator."

Yup, the same I've stated above when referring to Apple's not wanting to give people emulators capable of running any legacy game. This is why they've removed all "hackable" emulators (iDOS, some early versions of the C64 emulator etc.)

Not the same in that you seem to want to paint this decision as an arbitrary vendetta by Apple against emulators, when it is obvious that the apps you are describing would bypass both the iOS security model and the App Store business. And you drop in some misinformation about the legal issues as well.

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
I use emulators and all, but why the free promotion for something that is kind of illegal?

----------

Nintendo are missing a trick here with being stubborn and not being open to change. They could release their own official emu, give a game away with it and then offer an entire back catalog via in app purchase for like £1 and make a ton for games they have gathering dust! Even if it's only NES/SNES/GB/GBA games! Even some original DS games too.

Their old games don't collect dust, they re sell them with emulators on the Nintendo Wii, the Wii U, and Nintendo 3DS.

I assume you will probably say, "But it's Apple, they should do it with Apple, because it's Apple and their so amazingly awesome." (Sorry that it sounded sarcastic), but for Nintendo to do that would be the same as them releasing it for the XBox One or PS4, or Sony and Microsoft releasing games on their competitor's systems. It's just not going to happened and it would affect their system's sale.

Edit: And with the less systems Nintendo sells, the less developers are going to create games for Nintendo system, the even less systems they're going to sell, and so on and so on. But Apple is sooooo awesome, Nintendo should definitely go for it.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
I've asked that before, especially considering that the forum has rules against it. :confused:

Because unlike popping in here to ask where someone can download free hax and warez for their iPad, an emulator isn't illegal in and of itself, and can be used legitimately.

Much like jailbreaking, it's something that exists in a legal grey area. It all depends on how you use it.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Maybe, but you were responding to someone who simply specified "a legal emulator."

There are tons of legal emulators - every single emulator not containing original, copyrighted BIOS / firmware code (or unlicensed games).

Not the same in that you seem to want to paint this decision as an arbitrary vendetta by Apple against emulators, when it is obvious that the apps you are describing would bypass both the iOS security model and the App Store business.

1. By this, you yourself admit that Apple don't allow emulators simply because of business reason - they want to maximize their profits and emualtors, allowing for running hundreds of (thousands of) legacy games, is a direct threat to this. This is why they don't allow emulators capable of executing arbitrary code.

2. if, on a non-JB'n device, you can't run JIT or other goodies available on JB'n devices, how could even an emulator get out of the sandbox? How come Microsoft, which are at least as strict WRT their sandbox, do allow all kinds of emulators in their store? (An example: http://www.wpcentral.com/emipsx-review-playstation-emulator-windows-phone ). Is Apple's refusing to allow emulators indeed because of "security" reasons? I really don't think so...

And you drop in some misinformation about the legal issues as well.

OK, I didn't specify you are supposed to dump your ROM cartridges. However, when I talked about grabbing your own floppy disks or cassette tapes (as opposed to building / getting cartridge readers to access the contents of proprietary game cartridges) for other platforms, which is far easier to do with simple means, I was certainly right. And, "strangely", emulators of those platforms are also a no-go for Apple. "Surely" for copyright or security reasons, yeah, sure.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Because unlike popping in here to ask where someone can download free hax and warez for their iPad, an emulator isn't illegal in and of itself, and can be used legitimately.

Much like jailbreaking, it's something that exists in a legal grey area. It all depends on how you use it.

This emulator is likely illegal. Not only does it apparently contain Nintendo firmware, but it also has no significant non-infringing use.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

Exactly.

----------

This emulator is likely illegal. Not only does it apparently contain Nintendo firmware, but it also has no significant non-infringing use.

Surely there are cartridge readers for Nintendo cartridges as well. And - as we've discussed above - if you dump your own cartridges, you can rightfully, legally play them in emulators.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
There are tons of legal emulators - every single emulator not containing original, copyrighted BIOS / firmware code (or unlicensed games).

Yep. And as demonstrated to you earlier, Apple does allow legal emulators.

You were the one added the qualification to allow arbitrary code.

1. By this, you yourself admit that Apple don't allow emulators simply because of business reason - they want to maximize their profits and emualtors, allowing for running hundreds of (thousands of) legacy games, is a direct threat to this. This is why they don't allow emulators capable of executing arbitrary code.

Only if you ignore most of what I said. The primary reason is not profits. It's the iOS security model and the ability to bypass the App Store business. They are not going to run the App Store if someone can publish an emulator that runs everything in the App Store without paying Apple.

2. if, on a non-JB'n device, you can't run JIT or other goodies available on JB'n devices, how could even an emulator get out of the sandbox? How come Microsoft, which are at least as strict WRT their sandbox, do allow all kinds of emulators in their store? (An example: http://www.wpcentral.com/emipsx-review-playstation-emulator-windows-phone ). Is Apple's refusing to allow emulators indeed because of "security" reasons? I really don't think so...

None of that makes any sense.

OK, I didn't specify you are supposed to dump your ROM cartridges.

Yep.

However, when I talked about grabbing your own floppy disks (as opposed to building / getting cartridge readers to access the contents of proprietary game cartridges), which is far easier to do with simple means, I was certainly right.

Not questioning that. Here was the other misinformation that I referred to:
You don't know much about emulators, do you? Emulators can only be illegal in one case: if they're distributed with the original firmware of the emulated device. This is why many legally distributed emulators (e.g., NeoGeo emulators) require you to separately download the firmware.

Obviously, there are many other ways that an emulator could be illegal, including a lack of significant non-infringing use as established in the Betamax case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.