Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ezhik

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2011
Cupertino (No, really)
That comparison doesn't work because Apple doesn't make any money off OSX. Nintendo on the other hand makes money off both hardware and software but their hardware margin is getting squeezed so they may consider selling software on other platforms.

The more apt comparison would be Apple not releasing iTunes for Windows and missing out on the iPods and later iPhones sales to Windows users. That's exactly what Apple has done despite Jobs' initial protest.

http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/...-the-butterfly-that-started-the-apple-tsunami

So a kind of a gateway drug to drive people into getting Nintendo hardware with proper games? It could work.

Just offloading all the game collection to iOS emulators and selling that on the app store seems a bit silly to me, though.

tradiac

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2010
Individual Apple developers can provide a limited number of over the air app downloads for testing, and enterprise devs can provide unlimited installs.

Presumably, Apple have revoked these developer's accounts and this is why the app relies on the date being rolled back to circumvent the date specific certification.

Since iOS does not check for revoked certificates, as seen with the heart bleed issues this week, you can exploit this iOS flaw by just changing your iOS's date. Enjoy this until it gets patched.

nbnbxdnb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
I downloaded this and since then the text messaging, iMessage, emailing and voicemail on my iPhone 5s are all nonfunctional.

Macrumors should vet these things before they post them. This software is crap.

The problem is neither in the app or iPhone. It is because YOU ROLLED BACK THE DATE AND DIDN'T CHANGE IT BACK.

I always found it hard to believe how ignorant and arrogant some people are.

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
I wonder why certificate validation relies on local time settings. This is too easy to circumvent. It should use a time server on the internet.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Why is it that we have people kicking and screaming about how the NSA is spying on everyone, yet nobody blinks an eye when a Chinese company that's ostensibly been kicked out of the iOS Developer program says, "Here you go. We've made an application for you to download and enjoy — but you'll have to go through our servers to get it." :eek:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Why does it require the user to set the date back in order to run properly? How stupid!

Thank (and call them stupid) Apple for not allowing emulators in the AppStore, in the first place. It's because of their stubborness that users need to put up with silly stuff like setting back the date. To be able to run completely innocent and safe apps like game console emulators in the AppStore, while all their major competitors (Google, MS) do the opposite.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
NDS4iOS Nintendo DS Emulator Now Available to Download

Thank (and call them stupid) Apple for not allowing emulators in the AppStore, in the first place. It's because of their stubborness that users need to put up with silly stuff like setting back the date. To be able to run completely innocent and safe apps like game console emulators in the AppStore, while all their major competitors (Google, MS) do the opposite.

Actually Apple do allow emulators I to the App Store, but only legal ones.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/spectaculator-zx-spectrum/id421662150?mt=8

The emulators like this are illegal, thrust why they are not allowed. Console emulators will have to be produced by the company that owns the hardware. The people to blame are Nintendo, sega, etc. not microsoft.

By that logic, Apple is missing a trick by not releasing a non-Mac version of OS X.

Not even remotely the same thing! (Although I know people that run OS X on a PC laptop as it's cheaper, but not the point).

Nintendo is a slowly sinking ship and need to broaden their horizons. Releasing their old games back catalog is an easy and good way to improve income without causing a hit on their current gen sales.

Last edited:

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
There are quite a few apps available at the moment that use this method to allow them to be installed outside of the App Store. Cartoon HD being one of them. It's certainly one way of getting apps which apple do not allow on the App Store but you have no idea if the devs are doing anything else shady within the app. E.g accessing personal data, photos, location etc etc

Some of the apps are available on google code for you to compile and sign yourself and are able to be scrutinised by the community but you can't easily do this with per packaged apps.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Invalidated certificates and setting the date back have nothing to do with how businesses make and distribute their own internal apps.

Apologies those 2 parts were wrong way round as I was half asleep, but even now thought it made sense if you actually thought about it. They're using an enterprise certificate, which is what businesses use to issue their own apps without the App Store, which was invalidated on a certain date.

fatboyslick

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Downloaded and tried Mario - worked fine if a bit laggy

What is this iOS7 Controller support?
Is it when you use a second iOS device as the controller - if so how do i set it up as at the moment it is very difficult to play on an iPhone screen

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
The emulators like this are illegal, thrust why they are not allowed. Console emulators will have to be produced by the company that owns the hardware. The people to blame are Nintendo, sega, etc. not microsoft.

You don't know much about emulators, do you? Emulators can only be illegal in one case: if they're distributed with the original firmware of the emulated device. This is why many legally distributed emulators (e.g., NeoGeo emulators) require you to separately download the firmware.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
I'd been under the impression that MacRumors members were smarter and better-informed than the average person.

This thread has sort of debunked that impression for me.

----------

That comparison doesn't work because Apple doesn't make any money off OSX.

The Mac OS being free is a very recent development. Mac OS X has historically been priced between $99 and $129. Mac OS 9 (and before it, Mac OS 8, System 7 etc) generally cost about $99 as well.

If you think they don't make any money off of it though, you're kidding yourself. Direct access to the iTunes and App Store = making money.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
You don't know much about emulators, do you? Emulators can only be illegal in one case: if they're distributed with the original firmware of the emulated device. This is why many legally distributed emulators (e.g., NeoGeo emulators) require you to separately download the firmware.

I said emulators like this one. You proved my point. If this was a legal emulator, it would be done thru the App Store.

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
Working good on the 5s

It was connection afterall.

11kedet.jpg

Kirb112

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2013
only to install it. u can change it back after

Has this been confirmed?

----------

It uses a certificate that Apple have invalidated, you set the date to prior to the invalidation. It's basically how businesses that make their own apps for internal use distributes their own apps. Someone will probably come along and explain it better.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/App_Store_(iOS)#Enterprise_App_Stores

Yes. This was allowed. My company made an internal app that had to be installed the same way. Aside from setting the date back, that is.

Chazz08

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2012
Only thing that bothers me about this is that, if you do a restore, you lose all your progress from games!

I had the Game Boy emulator, did a restore completely forgetting about it, and then I found out I lost my progress in a few games...

Maybe there's a way to save this progress even when doing restores/updates? Does anyone know?

I thought that was the case, but when I did a restore I had all my games and progress. I don't know how it worked exactly, because I had to reinstall the GB4iOS, but it was all there. Maybe this one works the same way.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'd been under the impression that MacRumors members were smarter and better-informed than the average person.

This thread has sort of debunked that impression for me.

The community as a whole has a vibe of "we hate Nintendo for making machines to play their games, what they should do is create minigames games using the F2P model and not make these full-priced, full-experience games that we secretly want". At least that's what I get from reading these threads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.