Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Hey all,
I am stuck on getting a Ubuntu 22.04 to put the bootloader on the external drive and NOT the drive with the macOS boot loader.
I am able to successfully install linux to an external drive, and it runs. However, even though I tell the installer to put the boot loader on the external drive, it keeps getting put on /dev/sda, which is one of the Mac's internal drives part of the fusion drive.

If someone could help sort this one issue out, then I'll have a full self contained linux install on an external drive.

What am I missing here? I choose "something else" in the installer options, I format the linux drive to ext4 Journaled, set the mount point to / when choosing where to put the bootloader, I've tried both the root device, and the ext4 partition.

so for example, my device was identified as /dev/sdc, and the partition is /dev/sdc1 Selecting either /dev/sdc, or /dev/sdc1 for the bootloader still lands the bootloader on /dev/sda. Thankfully I can mount the EFI partition in Finder and remove the Ubuntu, and BOOT folders, and leave Apple, however, I'm unclear on why the installer is not respecting the settings. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

One note, this iMac has finally been cut off from macos updates. So, the linux to external drive is just a temporary solution until Apple completely drops security updates for Monterey, and then I'll put it on the internal drive. This is just to run them side by side while I test out linux to make sure I'm ready to switch as the primary os, when the time comes.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.