Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
They should also lockdown Safari so people can’t play videos and download stuff to stop piracy of music and films.

/s

There is copy protection being developed for the web. Google pulled back for now, but they are very much part of WDRM that will eventually be baked into every browser wanting access to content sites protected by it.

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
This is a perfect example of why Apple needs to be forced to allow normal software installation.

It's MY iPhone, not Apple's iPhone. I should be able to go to Github and download the .ipa and install it, without interference from Apple. I should be able to download the source code, compile it myself, and install it without Apple forcing me to do it again 7 days later.

Apple's behavior is criminal.

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
This is a perfect example of why Apple needs to be forced to allow normal software installation.

It's MY iPhone, not Apple's iPhone. I should be able to go to Github and download the .ipa and install it, without interference from Apple. I should be able to download the source code, compile it myself, and install it without Apple forcing me to do it again 7 days later.

Apple's behavior is criminal.
But but but... it will turn iOS into Android, and it will make it less secure.. so trust us we are keeping it locked for your own safety.

/s

Reactions: Samplasion

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
I’m so sorry everyone. I removed the app out of fear. No one reached out to me pressuring me to remove it. But I’d rather not have the risk

You got to be kidding me. Why did you release it in the first place, and then remove it? Makes no sense. Why fear? This is America...

LinkRS

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Texas, USA
Is it legal to own a ROM if you own the cartridge?
You are going to get different answers for this, but technically speaking if you have a physical copy of the software (game) and transfer your copy to a new medium (ROM), and retain the original media, you *should* be legal. However as many things, it is not that simple. the DMCA (https://www.copyright.gov/dmca/) has made it illegal to circumvent copy protection, and illegal to break encryption. If you have a valid key to decrypt something, that is not breaking encryption, that is just unlocking it. Most modern consoles employ some sort of encryption or other copy protection on their official game media, meaning the act of ripping (which is breaking encryption and dumping the contents) is against the DMCA. Now, the DMCA is only enforceable in the US, and explains why most online repositories of game ROMs and ISOs are in Europe/Asia. Just having possession of a ROM or firmware image that can only be obtained through illegal (in the US) methods is sometimes justification for the license holder to sue. Typically they do not go after individuals, but folks that redistribute, provide software to be able to rip, or (in the most recent case with Nintendo) readily provide instructions that tell folks how to circumvent copy protections in order to sell you a product/service.

Good luck!

Reactions: Vastolorde97

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
Your remarks make no sense. My post is to merely point out that emulators are legal and Apple has in the past made exceptions to for Big Corporations. Remember Apples prior stated rationale for blocking emulation was about preventing external code execution.

The problem your post here is you’re conflating emulation with copyright infringement while established case law showing otherwise. Your Sega emulator example isn’t as ridiculous as you think. In the 1990s EA reversed engineered Sega Genesis so they could develop games for the platform without paying Sega licensing fees. EA won in court and that precedent is one of many supporting the legality of emulation.
Apple does allow emulators now, so your remark made/makes no sense, as you were blaming Apple for not allowing something they allow. The developer just pulled his own app.

I was just pointing out that Sega wasn't marketing that as a generic emulator, as they were just selling their games using it. That is a huge difference. Unless you can point me to some link showing that you could load your own ROMs on that Sega app, at which point I would fully agree with you.

Edit: Thanks for the 1990s EA info, though, as I wasn't aware of that specific case!

Last edited:

synonys

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
I see we are playing the shifting goalpost fallacy. I see no reason to respond any further, have a good day.

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
Why wont users like yourself on the side of use of Emulators admit that the majority of the ROMS out there are pirated.
If I could prove that 99% of the ROMs out there are pirated, why is that in itself not a good argument that Emulators should not be legal.
Using that logic, many computers over the years have run pirated software, so would you want to make computers illegal? How do you define the threshold for legitimate usage?

Last edited:

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I've written several games as part of a team, and I don't want my stuff running on any kind of emulator.
OK.

That doesn’t mean you have a say in prohibiting emulators.
Your opinion on the existence of emulators is meaningless.
More reason for Apple to lockdown macOS to prevent it.
You wouldn’t even have the tools you use to write your games (on macOS -if you do), if it was more locked down and every macOS app had to play by Apple’s rules.
Apple took a well-reasoned stance on emulators in the past
Their good reasoning was probably just money. 💴💴💴💴💴
Wanting to sell games of their own.
There's a lot of junk avalable on Android that isn't permissable on iOS/iPadOS. Let's keep the junk in the toxic hellstew
…and so is a lot of junk available in Apple’s App Store. Including copycat apps or outright clones of legitimate original apps - that Apple seems to have little issue with approving.

Anyone who believes that Apple’s App Store is free of junk is deluded.
Apple are happy to approve all kinds of junk, as long as it makes them money in the App Store/through in-app purchases.

The way SEGA did it is the only way this stuff should be permitted.
…such as denying people the old, original game experience they know from their youth - by replacing original soundtracks with generic new music?

We can argue about licensing and copyright restrictions and how software should e publicly distributable or not.
But for the sake of the preservation of works of art in their original form, Sega’s way should not be the only one.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
, the developer of Bimmy said they decided to remove the app from the App Store. "No one reached out to me pressuring me to remove it," he said. "But I'd rather not have the risk."
Sure… he spent maybe months developing an app and then a few hours after its release decided maybe this is not a good idea…

No, no one at all pressured him 🤣

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.