Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

synonys

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Copying and pasting something doesn’t make you a lawyer and I’m betting Nintendo would win at the end of day

See, it’s FUD like this that’s holding back advancements in this area. The guy cites tested law from *copyright(dot)gov* but you still have to air the specter of Nintendo’s mythical ninja lawyers. News flash Nintendo knows emulator’s are legal and only sue on narrow aspects of copyright, see Yuzu.

synonys

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
There goes another one

Timid guys handwringing over stuff that’s already proven legal will miss out

mukiex

macrumors member
May 31, 2016
Never had the need for one so I was clueless, but good to know there is a few out there to chose from.
Anyone specific you recommend?

My personal favorites are:

- Game Boy-themed SN30 or SN30 Pro 2. Just has the comfiest d-pad.
- Saturn-themed M30 (white shell, multi-color buttons) Great for classic fighters but less great for traditional 4-button/4-shoulder-button games.

Reactions: mrBeach

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Yes, a bazillion of them. A company called 8BitDo makes decent affordable bluetooth controllers. You should be able to get a good one for $20-$30 on Amazon.
I love my 8BitDo Pro 2. Highly recommend. I use it on a Raspberry Pi 3. Tried to use it on my MacBook Pro but input lags hard on the emulator (OpenEmu). It’s unusable on games using the d-pad. Slight delay that kills quick response games like Mega Man or Mario World/Yoshi’s Island.

I don’t think it’s the controller because I’ve had the same issue with Switch Pro controllers (3rd party) on the Mac as well. I’ve heard it started with MacOS Sonoma but I didn’t have my laptop before that OS.

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
There goes another one

Timid guys handwringing over stuff that’s already proven legal will miss out
Thanks for the info.
Although it can be downloaded onto any mac or iOS device, it only works on iPad.

Edit: just found out that you MUST allow access to internet connection for the app to work. In this case, i works on all iOS devices and silicon Macs.

Last edited:

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
Yes if the iPhone automatically deletes it
gonna have to turnoff offload unused apps in settings
Nope, it's fine. You can even completely delete it and get it back from the "My Apps" tab (formerly "Purchases") in your AppStore account.

I just downloaded Bimmy and iGBA from there to test.

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Nope, it's fine. You can even completely delete it and get it back from the "My Apps" tab (formerly "Purchases") in your AppStore account.

I just downloaded Bimmy and iGBA from there to test.
I don’t think downloading from “Purchases“ will continue to work for long. I know of other apps that were removed from the app store and trying to download from “Purchases” only comes up with an error.

Reactions: Victor Mortimer

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
These billion-dollar corporations should be thankful to have folks such as yourself around to make sure someone is there to stand up for them. Obviously, their lobbyists and political "donations" aren't quite enough.

It isn't just billion-dollar corporations harmed by this. There are creators who deserve to be paid and earn royalties. I've written several games as part of a team, and I don't want my stuff running on any kind of emulator.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
You’re not entirely wrong but then again so do computers in general.

And the contempt for users shown by the copyright holders is not encouraging. A user experience actually meant to be pleasant for the user remains a primary reason for piracy.

For example, the Peacock app recently removed the “keep watching” row entirely. Just one example of many. More specific to Nintendo, they are happy to keep reselling the same exact games over and over again, using hardware obsolescence to force it.

This emulator doesn’t provide ROMs. I wouldn’t say they are trivializing piracy.

Without emulators, illegal ROMs are essentially useless for the vast majority of people. Ease of access and use is what breeds this kind of unholy behaviour.

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
I briefly went down the road of hacking Delta onto my iPad mini and connecting a USB PlayStation controller. It was as glorious as I had hoped, but I got tired of the hacky nature of it and ended up going the Steam Deck route for my portable gaming needs. Glad to see Apple finally allowing this, though - the mini with a controller is the perfect retro gaming device.

Agee that the phone will probably always be the second best option. I have a Steam Deck too but decided to buy a Miyoo Mini+ for a lot of retro games.

It's small, it's fun, it has a distinct retro feeling -- but at the end of the day I still don't have it with me lots of times because I either forgot to put it in my office bag or because I just don't want to carry it around. Having some good games on my phone would be great for that.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Emulators have been around for ages. They are on Apple platforms (just not phones). They are available for Android. Many legacy platform companies don't really care. Why is the iPhone so unique that you feel that emulation of legacy platforms shouldn't belong? Apple itself has said that they will determine whether a given emulated platform should belong, and they will scrutinize the app to keep our walled garden as clean as possible.

If you personally don't want to emulate old software, you can ignore the emulators.

Apple took a well-reasoned stance on emulators in the past. As a creator, I applauded them for it. There's a lot of junk avalable on Android that isn't permissable on iOS/iPadOS. Let's keep the junk in the toxic hellstew and away from the purity of our iPhones and iPads.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Did you know a lot of classic games apps from the likes of Sega were emulators?

Why should Sega have an emulator on Apples platform while we cannot?

Did you know they were legally licensed games, and these officially-supported experiences didn't allow you to sideload illegally obtained ROMs? The way SEGA did it is the only way this stuff should be permitted.

• Angry

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
nah this is different because it doesn't include the copyrighted games. you have to find those on your own.

You really think Nintendo gives a ****?

Not sure what games Apple is playing, but I'm sure Nintendo is not so happy with this that Apple and developers are facilitating people playing pirated Nintendo games on the iPhone.

• Angry

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
You really think Nintendo gives a ****?

Not sure what games Apple is playing, but I'm sure Nintendo is not so happy with this that Apple and developers are facilitating people playing pirated their Nintendo games on the iPhone.

Hopefully the backlash will inform Apple they are making a grave mistake with this policy shift.

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
Did you know a lot of classic games apps from the likes of Sega were emulators?

Why should Sega have an emulator on Apples platform while we cannot?
Why should Sega be able to market an emulator that runs Sega's games, while you cannot do the same? Perhaps because it was to run Sega's games? If Sega had introduced a Nintendo emulator, then your question would make more sense. I'm actually a fan of emulators, but that question seems very much like comparing apples to oranges.

• Angry

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
Hopefully the backlash will inform Apple they are making a grave mistake with this policy shift.

Frankly this response perfectly illustrates why Apple (or Google or whoever else) should not be the sole gatekeepers of what users can run on their devices.

Whether you like it or not, emulation is perfectly legal (within certain parameters).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.