Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

breather

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
Sweden
My personal favorites are:

- Game Boy-themed SN30 or SN30 Pro 2. Just has the comfiest d-pad.
- Saturn-themed M30 (white shell, multi-color buttons) Great for classic fighters but less great for traditional 4-button/4-shoulder-button games.
Thank you, will check them out :)

linuxkernel

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2023
Hopefully the backlash will inform Apple they are making a grave mistake with this policy shift.
You must work for Nintendo. You need to get your head out of you ***.

* This isn’t illegal
* This doesn’t compromise iOS in any way
* Choice is good for business
* Freedom to do whatever you want with your iPhone is good for business
* No one is forcing you to download or install an emulator or a ROM that works with said emulator
* You don’t get to decide how everyone else uses the device they purchased

ender78

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
I’ll keep working on it on GitHub. I would like to adopt Apple’s GCVirtualController which is much better. But then the app would need to be landscape-only

Great answer to the "total trash" criticism ! Thanks for trying to make something for the public !

An emulator cannot do that unless it's bundled with the emulator somehow. What you're aiming for would be something like websites that host ROMs. Even a ROM on its own isn't necessarily illegal if you dump your own copy that you bought yourself (more of a grey area), it's the distribution that's illegal.

What percentage of emulator users own the game? I'd wager that it's a tiny fraction.

ender78

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
It is legal to dump your own roms as long as you own said game.
Copyright law

And how many people even have the hardware to dump the ROM? The law on its face, allows that you or someone you explicitly authorize makes a copy of YOUR cartridge. It becomes a stretch if you decide to use someone else's ROM and you still own the cartridge.

Where each person stands on this argument is based on how strongly you believe in copyright and how strongly you believe in compensation of creators.

• Angry
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

Vastolorde97

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2024
Puerto Rico
You missed the part where Bleem went bankrupt anyway due to the legal fees.
It doesn't matter if it's allowed. It's still an existential risk for a small developer.
It's not about which company is still around it's that Emulators where deemed legal when this was taken to court.
So there should be no problem with Emulators being up in the App Store if they where illegal most that are available in the Playstore would have been unlisted years ago in said store.

ender78

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
It's not about which company is still around it's that Emulators where deemed legal when this was taken to court.
So there should be no problem with Emulators being up in the App Store if they where illegal most that are available in the Playstore would have been unlisted years ago in said store.

Why wont users like yourself on the side of use of Emulators admit that the majority of the ROMS out there are pirated.
If I could prove that 99% of the ROMs out there are pirated, why is that in itself not a good argument that Emulators should not be legal.

• Angry

Vastolorde97

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2024
Puerto Rico
And how many people even have the hardware to dump the ROM? The law on its face, allows that you or someone you explicitly authorize makes a copy of YOUR cartridge. It becomes a stretch if you decide to use someone else's ROM and you still own the cartridge.

Where each person stands on this argument is based on how strongly you believe in copyright and how strongly you believe in compensation of creators.
There are Cartridge dumpers on amazon and eBay to dump my own roms.

Samplasion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2022
Why wont users like yourself on the side of use of Emulators admit that the majority of the ROMS out there are pirated.
Because users like you are shifting the argument from "Are emulators legal?" to "Are ROMs legal?", then using the fact that many illegal ROM sites exist to go back and say "See? Since most ROMs are illegal then emulators are, too, and they don't deserve a place in our society."

It's a plain logical fallacy, and you're arguing with your lives for something that doesn't even benefit you.

ETA: In addition to that, you "emulator legality deniers" (for lack of a better term) misuse the fact that emulators exist for current- or last-gen systems to say that "emulator users just want to pirate games", when 1) it's not true in the face of emulators existing for obscure systems and 2) anecdotally, most emulator players I know use eg. a switch emulator to play the games that they own on cartridge from their PCs or Steam Decks in an upscaled resolution.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
Weird to see people recommending an Android emulator to use other emulators. You can almost always tell when someone has never used a Mac when they make comments like that.

Reactions: VoltSwoosh

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
See, it’s FUD like this that’s holding back advancements in this area. The guy cites tested law from *copyright(dot)gov* but you still have to air the specter of Nintendo’s mythical ninja lawyers. News flash Nintendo knows emulator’s are legal and only sue on narrow aspects of copyright, see Yuzu.
Agreed. I've been messing with emulators since 1997. That's 27 years that these kinds of emulators have been around. If they were as illegal as some here would insist, we'd have more lawsuits from Nintendo than we had from the RIAA suing kids with MP3s. Damn, I'm old. 😁

synonys

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Why should Sega be able to market an emulator that runs Sega's games, while you cannot do the same? Perhaps because it was to run Sega's games? If Sega had introduced a Nintendo emulator, then your question would make more sense. I'm actually a fan of emulators, but that question seems very much like comparing apples to oranges.

Your remarks make no sense. My post is to merely point out that emulators are legal and Apple has in the past made exceptions to for Big Corporations. Remember Apples prior stated rationale for blocking emulation was about preventing external code execution.

The problem your post here is you’re conflating emulation with copyright infringement while established case law showing otherwise. Your Sega emulator example isn’t as ridiculous as you think. In the 1990s EA reversed engineered Sega Genesis so they could develop games for the platform without paying Sega licensing fees. EA won in court and that precedent is one of many supporting the legality of emulation.

Vastolorde97

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2024
Puerto Rico
If I could prove that 99% of the ROMs out there are pirated, why is that in itself not a good argument that Emulators should not be legal.
Never said they weren't. hell even Nintendo themselves have used roms from someone else themselves
but we aren't talking about roms we're talking about Emulators which they have been deemed legal for 20 years now.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
It isn't just billion-dollar corporations harmed by this. There are creators who deserve to be paid and earn royalties. I've written several games as part of a team, and I don't want my stuff running on any kind of emulator.
It's what this specific article is about. Not to mention it's an emulator that runs games that were released decades ago. And I suspect vanishingly few people are trying to run the stuff you earn royalties on with an emulator.

Without emulators, illegal ROMs are essentially useless for the vast majority of people. Ease of access and use is what breeds this kind of unholy behaviour.
Emulators are generally legal. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

More reason for Apple to lockdown macOS to prevent it.
This will never happen. iOS is moving in the direction of macOS, not the other way around.

Last edited:
  • Love
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.