Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Always late to the party.
Love to have this on my ipad mini with ability to use a controller

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
Update: In a post on the MacRumors Forums, the developer of Bimmy said they decided to remove the app from the App Store. "No one reached out to me pressuring me to remove it," he said. "But I'd rather not have the risk."
I asked my uncle that works for Nintendo and he said that "it was definitely *not* Nintendo that reached out and pressured him to remove it and deny it for risk of bad publicity".

• Haha
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
This seems to be a good way to get 15 min of fame as a software developer. Release an emulator, have a bunch of tech news sites report on it, then remove it despite no illegal activity or complaints from Apple, Nintendo, or anyone else. Why bother putting on the effort to develop and release the app otherwise.

Reactions: synonys

Dopestdude2

Suspended
Apr 19, 2022
Why weren’t you afraid to release it in the first place, then? Not trying to be hostile but…how did you think this would go? :)
Honestly I don’t think he’s being 100% truthful on what happened here.

My guess; since he initially charged money for it before going free, he really removed it because he realized he couldn’t actually charge for it and get away with it in the end without Nintendo knocking.

• Angry

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Always late to the party.
Love to have this on my ipad mini with ability to use a controller

I briefly went down the road of hacking Delta onto my iPad mini and connecting a USB PlayStation controller. It was as glorious as I had hoped, but I got tired of the hacky nature of it and ended up going the Steam Deck route for my portable gaming needs. Glad to see Apple finally allowing this, though - the mini with a controller is the perfect retro gaming device.

Reactions: d686546s and Syk

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
I specifically bought an Apple device because these kinds of apps aren't available. I hate that Apple has changed the rules to allow these kinds of apps after I had already bought the device. Why is Apple taking away consumer choice? At least both of the Nintendo emulators have been pulled. I hope Apple doesn't allow any others.

/parody of comments about alternative app stores and sideloading

Nihilvor

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
Good decision to pull it.

These apps do not belong on Apple's platforms.
Emulators have been around for ages. They are on Apple platforms (just not phones). They are available for Android. Many legacy platform companies don't really care. Why is the iPhone so unique that you feel that emulation of legacy platforms shouldn't belong? Apple itself has said that they will determine whether a given emulated platform should belong, and they will scrutinize the app to keep our walled garden as clean as possible.

If you personally don't want to emulate old software, you can ignore the emulators.

Jetscreamer

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2021
Don’t sweat it, developers. Is not like an indy game developer like Nintendo have an army of lawyers.

synonys

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Good decision to pull it.

These apps do not belong on Apple's platforms.

Did you know a lot of classic games apps from the likes of Sega were emulators?

Why should Sega have an emulator on Apples platform while we cannot?

frownface

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2020
Steve Jobs and Phil Schiller literally demoed a PS1 emulator, on a Mac, during a keynote. This is a terrible take.

Lets be honest, that's not the apple we have today. Apple back then didn't care about pushing the envelope legally and pandering to shareholders. Heck they didn't even pay dividends.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.