Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azdude

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2003
CaptainHaddock said:
A poster on Slashdot who knew some Apple beta testers said that the delayed Tiger announcement is partially due to an unspecified new Apple product that only runs Tiger (and not previous versions of OS X).

Allegedly, Apple would like Tiger to be in stores around the same time this new hardware is announced, because otherwise Apple rumour-mongers will be doing string searches on Tiger system files and discover the new product before Apple is ready.

Sounds like a Quad PM to me. ;)

Not like I care... I'm still itching to order Tiger for my lowly PB! Ugh.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
CaptainHaddock said:
A poster on Slashdot who knew some Apple beta testers said that the delayed Tiger announcement is partially due to an unspecified new Apple product that only runs Tiger (and not previous versions of OS X).

Allegedly, Apple would like Tiger to be in stores around the same time this new hardware is announced, because otherwise Apple rumour-mongers will be doing string searches on Tiger system files and discover the new product before Apple is ready.

Ooowww. One of the most exciting rumors I have heard for a while. I wonder what it could be that needs Tiger...maybe something with a higher than 100dpi screen...

CaptainHaddock

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2004
Nagoya, Japan
http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=144251&cid=12094279

There is some new hardware coming out, sometime between "now" and "the end of 2005" (how is that for vague). This new hardware will require extra drivers and code to support some new features. The beta testers have only been able to run Tiger on this hardware, released versions of 10.X don't work much, or at all.

Since releasing Tiger before the hardware is announced means that legions of Mac fanatics will be picking it apart, they will quickly find the code relating to new hardware names. So it is almost a certainty that Apple will release Tiger at the same time they announce the new hardware. The hardware might ship later, but at least it will be announced by the Tiger ship date. Tiger may be announced as much as a month in advance of its ship date, if past announcements are any guide.

So the speculation is centred around which events in Apple's calendar would be good for announcing a new round of hardware upgrades and new models, as well as releasing Tiger. The WWDC has been a favorite target until recently, as it is now approaching rapidly and Tiger is still in beta, MacPsychics are looking further into the summer for good announce dates.

d.perel

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2005
SiliconAddict said:
OMG!! M stands for Mobile!!...G5 *waves a hand* Whatever...You know the rest.
Mobile 1.8 ghz G5 laptop, maybe? :rolleyes:

Q84 = quicktime/quartz or maybe quintuple-core, 8.4 Ghz G5...maybe
Edit: or then again, Quad-core (2 cores x 2 processors) 8th G5 revision of 4 gigahertz... :p

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
CaptainHaddock said:

ASTEROID!!!

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2004
I never really understood the big thing with Asteroid - it seemed great as a Garageband accessory, but as a hardware device worth postponing and unveiling solo, or delaying a whole operating system? Is a consumer audio in device really that big?

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Someone else on Slashdot posted some interesting replies to this rumor...
Bold is the original post
Italics is the responses

Disclaimer: I am not under any Apple NDA, nor does any of this information come directly from someone under NDA.

In other words, you're making it up entirely, and using the disclaimer to actually increase your credibility.

There is some new hardware coming out, sometime between "now" and "the end of 2005" (how is that for vague).

Hey, that's very good! Since you're not actually saying anything specific, you can't possibily be proven wrong!

Nevermind the fact that Apple releases new hardware every six to twelve months anyway, and a dead monkey without a brain could tell you that they'll probably release something later this year.

This new hardware will require extra drivers and code to support some new features.

Wow. I've never heard of new hardware requiring drivers before.

The beta testers have only been able to run Tiger on this hardware, released versions of 10.X don't work much, or at all.

What "beta testers"? People with developer previews, or people inside Apple? Why *would* it run on older versions? Backported drivers have *always* been released after a product launch. Even if you aren't making this up entirely, your conclusions are ****ed.

Since releasing Tiger before the hardware is announced means that legions of Mac fanatics will be picking it apart, they will quickly find the code relating to new hardware names. So it is almost a certainty that Apple will release Tiger at the same time they announce the new hardware.

You don't know what "certain" means, do you?

The hardware might ship later, but at least it will be announced by the Tiger ship date. Tiger may be announced as much as a month in advance of its ship date, if past announcements are any guide.

Ah, it seems you don't. Once again you've mastered the rumor-site technique of being so incredibly vague and covering all your bases, that you can't possibly be wrong.

So the speculation is centred around which events in Apple's calendar would be good for announcing a new round of hardware upgrades and new models, as well as releasing Tiger. The WWDC has been a favorite target until recently, as it is now approaching rapidly and Tiger is still in beta, MacPsychics are looking further into the summer for good announce dates.

Tiger isn't "in beta", it's had a dozen or more very different development releases, and I can say (having used several), that it's very mature and and (sic) as close to "finished" as you can get. The official bug list from a recent build includes only includes some really rare and obscure issues, mostly relating to foreign language support (which is hard to test for extensively).

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
CaptainHaddock said:

Here's an interesting candidate:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/13/apple_tablet_mac/

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
mac-er said:
Someone else on Slashdot posted some interesting replies to this rumor...
Bold is the original post
Italics is the responses

Disclaimer: I am not under any Apple NDA, nor does any of this information come directly from someone under NDA.

In other words, you're making it up entirely, and using the disclaimer to actually increase your credibility.

There is some new hardware coming out, sometime between "now" and "the end of 2005" (how is that for vague).

Hey, that's very good! Since you're not actually saying anything specific, you can't possibily be proven wrong!

Nevermind the fact that Apple releases new hardware every six to twelve months anyway, and a dead monkey without a brain could tell you that they'll probably release something later this year.

This new hardware will require extra drivers and code to support some new features.

Wow. I've never heard of new hardware requiring drivers before.

The beta testers have only been able to run Tiger on this hardware, released versions of 10.X don't work much, or at all.

What "beta testers"? People with developer previews, or people inside Apple? Why *would* it run on older versions? Backported drivers have *always* been released after a product launch. Even if you aren't making this up entirely, your conclusions are ****ed.

Since releasing Tiger before the hardware is announced means that legions of Mac fanatics will be picking it apart, they will quickly find the code relating to new hardware names. So it is almost a certainty that Apple will release Tiger at the same time they announce the new hardware.

You don't know what "certain" means, do you?

The hardware might ship later, but at least it will be announced by the Tiger ship date. Tiger may be announced as much as a month in advance of its ship date, if past announcements are any guide.

Ah, it seems you don't. Once again you've mastered the rumor-site technique of being so incredibly vague and covering all your bases, that you can't possibly be wrong.

Tiger isn't "in beta", it's had a dozen or more very different development releases, and I can say (having used several), that it's very mature and and (sic) as close to "finished" as you can get. The official bug list from a recent build includes only includes some really rare and obscure issues, mostly relating to foreign language support (which is hard to test for extensively).

Nice reply. Someone got pwn3d as the kids would say :D

CaptainHaddock

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2004
Nagoya, Japan
Hey, the initial Slashdotter could be wrong. But the reply is just rhetoric, a sort of schoolyard "You're wrong and I'm plugging my ears na na na" retort. :) I'd hardly say anyone got owned there, although the person who replied comes off as a jerk.

Anyway, the rumour hints at an entirely new hardware configuration, even if it's not specific. If quad-processors, dual-cores, or something as radical as the Mini gets announced around the release of Tiger, I'd consider the Slashdotter's comments vindicated. If not, oh well! :)

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
The person who replied does have some valid points though. I understand that we do like rumors and the such but this is just vague and combines several rumors floating around.
I don't know, it could be correct too but it sounds really vague.

rockandrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Ya know, I heard the other day from a reliable source that Apple has actually started developing weapons (M18) and new fighter planes (Q84) for the US and Tiwanese governments. :D

Remember kids, a very reliable source.

slidingjon

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2005
Coralville, Iowa
You are all way off. Because of the success of the lower priced mac mini, apple has decided to re-release the Apple IIe - hoping to continue gaining market share on the low-end demographic. :rolleyes:

TheMdude

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2005
rockandrule said:
Ya know, I heard the other day from a reliable source that Apple has actually started developing weapons (M18) and new fighter planes (Q84) for the US and Tiwanese governments. :D

Remember kids, a very reliable source.

Apple weapons would kick @$$. And they would work...well...and be pretty.
:D
Anyway, I was thinking about this being the "year of HD." And I thought, why isn't anyone talking about high definition audio? Could "Bazooka" be a new range of 2.1 or possibly 5.1 Apple Pro Speakers? They would have to have some solid credentials behind the designers, but Harmon Kardon did the last ones, so I'd say it's possible. However, I'd say a combination of the following is more likely:

-Updated eMac (long overdue)
-Low Cost 17" Display (LCD?)
-Apple HD Projector
-Dual Dual Core G5 Tower :eek: (aka, a stylish baseboard heater)
-Combination toaster/telescope/dust buster...okay maybe the speakers are a little more likely than this, but it would be cool wouldn't it?

Oh, one more thing...G5 PowerBooks ain't happenin. Get a grip people. Dual core G4's will be the next PowerBook proc. (dual core @ 1.5GHz, FSB @ 667MHz, and only 15 watts of power...i think we have a winner!)

LGRW3919

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2005
cupertino (no joke)
daveway00 said:
Well, first of all, it's way too soon for an update to the mini. Apple still hasn't caught up with demand for the current generation.
Appleinsider also states there will be a slew of product roll outs. Could be true but they only listed 2. I'm hoping for more home aceessories like video streaming airport.
On the software side. I don't know why Apple would give a software update a codename, that doesn't make sense.

Chalone

it wouldn't be worth it to release a video streaming airport because apple would hit a mere slice of the pie of users with video on their macs. but then again it may be backward compatible with the original express for audio making the perfect addition to the home theater (or just stereo and tv)...

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Apple Canceled my Mac Mini Order - What's Up?

I don't know if this is related, but I placed an order for a Mac Mini yesterday. I peeked at it this afternoon and the original order has been canceled and replaced with a new order. The serial number was changed from "Z0B807C1R" to just "Z0B8" listed next to it, but the spec items looks the same...

Any ideas of why this might happen?

Interestingly, it looks like my estimated ship date has been pushed back about 4 days - to Tuesday, April 26.

macux

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2005
Which one?

oldMac said:
I don't know if this is related, but I placed an order for a Mac Mini yesterday. I peeked at it this afternoon and the original order has been canceled and replaced with a new order. The serial number was changed from "Z0B807C1R" to just "Z0B8" listed next to it, but the spec items looks the same...

Any ideas of why this might happen?

Interestingly, it looks like my estimated ship date has been pushed back about 4 days - to Tuesday, April 26.

According to the store the 1.25 GHz is on same day shipping, while 1.42 is 5-7.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Canceled Mini

macux said:

I ordered a cutomized 1.42 with superdrive, airport and bluetooth yesterday. Was initially listed as shipping on or before April 22nd - then the order was canceled and re-submitted with a delivery date on or before April 26.

ckr4282

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2005
Gahh... my mini is coming tomorrow. I hope they give me some sort of a discounted upgrade if it has some major revisions.

nek

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2003
Canada
macux said:

The Mac mini must be popular in Canada because I just checked and the ship times are 3-5 days for 1.25GHz and 2-4 weeks for 1.42GHz. Or it could mean an update is soon, and the US store will be the last to start seeing delays. Maybe not. I don't care about the mini anyway, where is Tiger and the new iMacs and Power Macs?

There is a slightly longer wait for all of Apple's products in Canada it seems, but that 2-4 weeks ship time for the 1.42GHz Mini is still weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.