Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
LA - Smellay..

OH Come on... Apple has far too many stores in the LA area already compared to the rest of the planet..

Glendale, LA, Northridge, Santa Monica, Pasadena. That's 5 total...
Now they're gonna have a 6th LA County store, and it's not fair...
The Inland area has a much larger territory than LA and is completely underserved with only one store in San Bernardino County (in the most western corner they could find so that it's still serving LA County customers) in Rancho Cucamonga, and nothing at all in Riverside County!
That makes it 1-2 hours for anyone from Riverside (city), "high desert", or Palm Springs area (ONE WAY) to reach an Apple store. That ain't cool.

Come on Apple.. Riverside County needs a Riverside store.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
Xapplimatic said:
That makes it 1-2 hours for anyone from Riverside (city), "high desert", or Palm Springs area (ONE WAY) to reach an Apple store. That ain't cool.

While I wouldn't mind a store there, it does not take an hour to get to Rancho Cucamonga from Riverside. Are you taking backroads or something?

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Xapplimatic said:
OH Come on... Apple has far too many stores in the LA area already compared to the rest of the planet..

Glendale, LA, Northridge, Santa Monica, Pasadena. That's 5 total...
Now they're gonna have a 6th LA County store, and it's not fair...
The Inland area has a much larger territory than LA and is completely underserved with only one store in San Bernardino County (in the most western corner they could find so that it's still serving LA County customers) in Rancho Cucamonga, and nothing at all in Riverside County!

Hey, you forgot the upcoming stores in Century City and Manhattan Beach! I agree, it's time for a moratorium on stores in LA. We need more in San Francisco. :D

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
I once visited 4 stores (the Grove, Santa Monica, Glendale, Pasadena) in one day looking for an iPod mini as a gift. I know, I should have called to see if it was in stock, but now I can say I visited 4 stores in one day! :D

LA doesn't *need* another store, but why not? It's a huge market, and the stores always seem to be packed with people. I just hope Apple retail isn't over-extending it's self too soon.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
rikers_mailbox said:
LA doesn't *need* another store, but why not? It's a huge market, and the stores always seem to be packed with people. I just hope Apple retail isn't over-extending it's self too soon.

Of course the giant LA market can handle more stores. I'm just upset that with the planned expansions in LA and New York both areas will soon have as many stores as the SF Bay area. Soon I can no longer crow about having more stores here.

KCK

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2003
Oakland, CA
Sayhey said:
Of course the giant LA market can handle more stores. I'm just upset that with the planned expansions in LA and New York both areas will soon have as many stores as the SF Bay area. Soon I can no longer crow about having more stores here.

THose of us in the SF Bay Area just have to scout out potential locations and start sending them to Steve so we can keep our lead :)

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
KCK said:
THose of us in the SF Bay Area just have to scout out potential locations and start sending them to Steve so we can keep our lead :)

Napa, Santa Cruz, and Solano counties have no stores, so what's the problem Steve? The airports could use some of those nice new mini-stores! San Jose needs a full size store. How about the Fremont area? How am I doing, KCK? I'll send my suggestions off to Cupertino, but unfortunately Mr. Jobs hasn't been listening to me lately. :p

KCK

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2003
Oakland, CA
Sayhey said:
Napa, Santa Cruz, and Solano counties have no stores, so what's the problem Steve? The airports could use some of those nice new mini-stores! San Jose needs a full size store. How about the Fremont area? How am I doing, KCK? I'll send my suggestions off to Cupertino, but unfortunately Mr. Jobs hasn't been listening to me lately. :p

Generally Steve goes for the upscale shopping centers. You need to think more along the lines of the shopping center in Blackhalk. :)

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
rikers_mailbox said:
... and the stores always seem to be packed with people..

That's probably why Apple's adding another store. I usually visit an Apple store once a week and they always seem to be packed. And this is during the middle of the day when people should be working or at school.

It might also be because there are so many companies in the L.A. area that depend on Macs, such as film studios, recording studios, design and publishing houses, etc. Who knows? :confused:

jmingin

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Grove close to Beverly Center

sw1tcher said:
It might also be because there are so many companies in the L.A. area that depend on Macs, such as film studios, recording studios, design and publishing houses, etc. Who knows? :confused:

I agree that it is because there are so many Mac users in LA. Most of people I know are Mac users but most are in some creative field. The Grove and Beverly Center are about 1 mile from each other but the Grove is much busier and more popular and better parking (important in this city). Apple probably got a great lease from BC to go in there. It will be nice to have 3 stores within 2 miles of my office :)

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Sayhey said:
Napa, Santa Cruz, and Solano counties have no stores, so what's the problem Steve? The airports could use some of those nice new mini-stores! San Jose needs a full size store. How about the Fremont area?

San Jose does have one in Valley Fair. Don't know if that one qualifies as full size though. The only mall near Fremont is NewPark Mall in Newark. Then there is the Great Mall in Milpitas. But it would be cool to have an Apple Store in NewPark Mall, that way I wouldn't have to go all the way to Valley Fair.

You know, I'm feeling a bit greedy here. Some members here have to travel 2 hours to their nearest Apple Store and I have at least two options (San Jose and Palo Alto) within 30 minutes of travel time; and I'm complaing that's too long of a drive :eek: :)

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
tech4all said:
San Jose does have one in Valley Fair. Don't know if that one qualifies as full size though. The only mall near Fremont is NewPark Mall in Newark. Then there is the Great Mall in Milpitas. But it would be cool to have an Apple Store in NewPark Mall, that way I wouldn't have to go all the way to Valley Fair.

You know, I'm feeling a bit greedy here. Some members here have to travel 2 hours to their nearest Apple Store and I have at least two options (San Jose and Palo Alto) within 30 minutes of travel time; and I'm complaing that's too long of a drive :eek: :)

"Greed is Good" - Gordon Gecko

While I don't normally quote the icon of 80s excess for wisdom, in this particular case (and this case only) I'm all for him. We need more stores in the Bay Area. :D

btw, I like the list and the San Jose store is a mini-store. Is that what should represent Apple in the heart of Silicon Valley? Nah, a stand alone store is needed at the minimum.

thrash

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2005
LA
Haha! Yes! Now I have 4 apple stores I can walk to. More job applications for me to fill out now..

Live in West Hollywood, go to school in Santa Monica.

God, I hate the beverly center though. Anyone know when century city is supposed to open? Last time I called they told me January but I haven't seen it open yet. Not that century city is any better..

Anyways if someone gets a job there, put in a good word for me ;) I'm a student in desperate need of a job that will feed my neverending addiction ;)

This powerbook burned a hole deep enough in my pocket.

thrash

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2005
LA
jmingin said:
I agree that it is because there are so many Mac users in LA. Most of people I know are Mac users but most are in some creative field. The Grove and Beverly Center are about 1 mile from each other but the Grove is much busier and more popular and better parking (important in this city). Apple probably got a great lease from BC to go in there. It will be nice to have 3 stores within 2 miles of my office :)

I think the beverly center is suffering from the Grove..The Grove is such a nicer enviornment, its even packed when its raining, and its an outdoor mall! Rent used to be insane at the BC, now it has to undersell the Grove AND when they build the new Beverly Connection. Oh, and after Century City gets its makeover. And parking sucks at the beverly center.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
aloofman said:
While I wouldn't mind a store there, it does not take an hour to get to Rancho Cucamonga from Riverside. Are you taking backroads or something?

Sure, you can get from Riverside to Ranch in less than an hour if you only drive during non-peak traffic hours.. Try driving there anytime between 4 and 6pm and it will take over an hour.. or returning to Riverside between 5-7pm, it will again take over and hour likely if you stay on freeways and don't take massive back-roads (which cut the time down, not increase it if you are taking the right ones).. There have been times it took me 2 hours to get back from Ranch to Riverside due to congestion on the 60 and the 10. Now is especially bad due to delays caused by extra traffic on the 15 taking back routes into the mountain cities at times when both the 30 and the 330 are closed due to the mudslides and other problems with mountain highways.

Within the largess of Riverside County (which could nearly swallow Rhode Island), even travel to Riverside would be asking a lot of those residents in the eastern desert area (aka "Desert Empire") and the tens of thousands of business travelers who go to conventions in Palm Springs every year. But the City of Riverside alone, not withstanding population of any neighboring areas has a populace of >250,000 now which would definitely sustain opening an Apple store at the fabulous new Riverside Plaza off Central (a wannabe Victoria Gardens for sure if you've seen it)... The County seat really should have an Apple store in its most upscale new development and in reality, there should be one in the desert center too to take in all those visiting business dollars. Travellers need Mac equipment too, and that is a tourism and convention capital in California (within top 10!).

I have written Apple several times pleading to open the two stores desperately needed for Riverside County.. The Riverside store is a no-brainer. Profits in the desert location would likely be seasonally influenced, but never a losing-proposition. They should really do a study on it. Riverside County has over 1.8 million residents!

-Matt

PS: Palm Springs does have another industry (its #3 industry by many estimates putting vacationers and business conventions at #1 and #2) which uses a lot of Macintosh-related imaging services, which would come as a surprise to some, and probably to Apple too, but I would not write home about it to ma.. -grin-

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
thrash said:
Haha! Yes! Now I have 4 apple stores I can walk to. More job applications for me to fill out now..

Live in West Hollywood, go to school in Santa Monica.

God, I hate the beverly center though. Anyone know when century city is supposed to open? Last time I called they told me January but I haven't seen it open yet. Not that century city is any better..

Anyways if someone gets a job there, put in a good word for me ;) I'm a student in desperate need of a job that will feed my neverending addiction ;)

This powerbook burned a hole deep enough in my pocket.

Same here (student). Wouldn't mind working at an Apple store. Anyone know how well they pay?

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
Xapplimatic said:
Sure, you can get from Riverside to Ranch in less than an hour if you only drive during non-peak traffic hours.. Try driving there anytime between 4 and 6pm and it will take over an hour.. or returning to Riverside between 5-7pm, it will again take over and hour likely if you stay on freeways and don't take massive back-roads (which cut the time down, not increase it if you are taking the right ones).. There have been times it took me 2 hours to get back from Ranch to Riverside due to congestion on the 60 and the 10. Now is especially bad due to delays caused by extra traffic on the 15 taking back routes into the mountain cities at times when both the 30 and the 330 are closed due to the mudslides and other problems with mountain highways.

I don't need a primer on Inland Empire traffic patterns. Since you don't work at the Rancho Apple store, you don't have to go there during peak commute times. I believe it can take an hour in rush hour, but why would you go then? Go on a Saturday afternoon and be there in 30 mins.

thrash

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2005
LA
sw1tcher said:
Same here (student). Wouldn't mind working at an Apple store. Anyone know how well they pay?

I believe bottom is 8.25 and up. Plus you know..discounts...

Where in LA do you live if you don't mind me asking?

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Sayhey said:
"Greed is Good" - Gordon Gecko

While I don't normally quote the icon of 80s excess for wisdom, in this particular case (and this case only) I'm all for him. We need more stores in the Bay Area. :D

btw, I like the list and the San Jose store is a mini-store. Is that what should represent Apple in the heart of Silicon Valley? Nah, a stand alone store is needed at the minimum.

The San Jose is a mini store? Are you sure, because I thought the mini stores only sold consumer line products and not the pro line (I got my PowerMac G5 there). And the San Jose store was around before the mini stores started. And from the photos I've seen of the mini stores, they don't have anything in the center, only on the walls on the sides; whereas the San Jose store has shelves in the middle. :confused:

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
tech4all said:
The San Jose is a mini store? Are you sure, because I thought the mini stores only sold consumer line products and not the pro line (I got my PowerMac G5 there). And the San Jose store was around before the mini stores started. And from the photos I've seen of the mini stores, they don't have anything in the center, only on the walls on the sides; whereas the San Jose store has shelves in the middle. :confused:

This is from Apple's own Press Release dated October 14th of last year.

Apple will open its first six mini stores this Saturday at 10 a.m. in Palo Alto, CA; San Jose, CA; Santa Rosa, CA; Tukwila, WA; Bridgewater, NJ; and Rockaway, NJ.

You are right that these store started not offering the pro line. That has changed. I don't know about the layout of the San Jose store, but it is a mini-store. We are talking about the Oakridge store, right? The store in nearby Santa Clara is a full size store. Anyway, it does make sense for Apple to come back to San Jose sometime with a larger store.

edit: I went back to your first post and I see you're talking about the store in Valley Fair. It is indeed a full size store, but it's not located in San Jose. Sorry, for the confusion.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
Nice, yet another Apple store. Personally, I'd rather Apple make one GIANT Apple store in LA, something like that Tokyo one. All the ones I have been to: Glendale, Northridge, Pasadena, The Grove, Santa Monica, all have been regular stores, but ALL are always packed.

Fishes,
narco.

areyouwishing

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2003
Utah
I am LOVING all these people complaining about not having 5 Apple stores within a 50 mile radius of them.

Try living in Salt Lake City without a decent Mac store around. There is Mac Docs, the high pressure commission based sales staff, MacSomething the snobby, "do not have anything in stock, but can order it for you in a week," store; and Expercom the store that makes it seem like they are doing you a favor to sell you a Mac.

The closest Apple store to me I think is Denver... Hooray for another LA store!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.