Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tangerineyum

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2005
Ontario, CA
LA's coming to the IE

aloofman said:
I don't need a primer on Inland Empire traffic patterns. Since you don't work at the Rancho Apple store, you don't have to go there during peak commute times. I believe it can take an hour in rush hour, but why would you go then? Go on a Saturday afternoon and be there in 30 mins.

Week end or week day doesnt really make much of a difference, with all the new construction and new LA centric businesses opening up (p.f. changs, CPK, yardhouse, coach, etc...) the whole area has been flooded with traffic because we no longer have to travel 60 miles into LA to get the good stuff. Problem is now to travel half a mile down foothill it takes 30 min and I can imgaine coming from Riverside to be a bigger hassle than anyone realizes. The 10-15 interchange always sucks, the 60 (3 lane hwy) sucks and the 15 anywhere near foothill sucks. I say riverside gets an apple store.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Sayhey said:
This is from Apple's own Press Release dated October 14th of last year.

You are right that these store started not offering the pro line. That has changed. I don't know about the layout of the San Jose store, but it is a mini-store. We are talking about the Oakridge store, right? The store in nearby Santa Clara is a full size store. Anyway, it does make sense for Apple to come back to San Jose sometime with a larger store.

edit: I went back to your first post and I see you're talking about the store in Valley Fair. It is indeed a full size store, but it's not located in San Jose. Sorry, for the confusion.

Oh I'm sorry, I sometimes get San Jose and Santa Clara mixed up. Since I was little the South Bay was always "San Jose" since I have family that lives in San Jose, and I also have some family in Santa Clara which is why I kinda "combine" the two :D

I haven't been to the Oakridge mini store yet, but would like to one day. I've only been to the Valley Fair in Santa Clara Apple Store and have driven by the Palo Alto store.

ASP272

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Nashville, TN
Apple - FORGET ABOUT CALI!!!! - What is there, like a billion stores in California. OK, I know it's where a lot of technology begins, where Silicon Valley is, and where Apple is headquartered - but HELLO - The rest of us would like to partake in that technology too. Why oh why are you wasting your time in Cali. If you want Apple to prosper, open stores in all the major cities, not 50 in one city! COME TO NASHVILLE!

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
Hurry with Construction

Everyone is right about having so many apple stores in Los Angeles :rolleyes: . Everytime I go to an apple store, however, I think about how awesome it would be if there was one closer to me inside of the Beverly Center. So, yea, I am very excited; no more having to drive to the grove or santa monica. :D

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
ASP272 said:
Apple - FORGET ABOUT CALI!!!! - What is there, like a billion stores in California. OK, I know it's where a lot of technology begins, where Silicon Valley is, and where Apple is headquartered - but HELLO - The rest of us would like to partake in that technology too. Why oh why are you wasting your time in Cali. If you want Apple to prosper, open stores in all the major cities, not 50 in one city! COME TO NASHVILLE!

OK, you do know that a store is being built in the Green Hills mall in Nashville? I know it has been a long wait, but the wait is almost over. This summer, ASP2782, so get ready to get a place in line.

There is, however, no need to get nasty about LA. It will be the first city to have over two stores within the city limits. A slightly more manageable figure than one billion. ;)

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
They should put one out in Santa Clarita. Though the nearest store to here, Northridge, is not that far away, the only way to get there is along the 5 through the Newhall Pass, which is always packed, as is the 405. The mall out here has some open spots...why not, Apple?

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Xapplimatic said:
OH Come on... Apple has far too many stores in the LA area already compared to the rest of the planet..

Glendale, LA, Northridge, Santa Monica, Pasadena. That's 5 total...
Now they're gonna have a 6th LA County store, and it's not fair...
The Inland area has a much larger territory than LA and is completely underserved with only one store in San Bernardino County (in the most western corner they could find so that it's still serving LA County customers) in Rancho Cucamonga, and nothing at all in Riverside County!
That makes it 1-2 hours for anyone from Riverside (city), "high desert", or Palm Springs area (ONE WAY) to reach an Apple store. That ain't cool.

Come on Apple.. Riverside County needs a Riverside store.

the 909's always complaining.

thrash

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2005
LA
ilifecomputer said:
Everyone is right about having so many apple stores in Los Angeles :rolleyes: . Everytime I go to an apple store, however, I think about how awesome it would be if there was one closer to me inside of the Beverly Center. So, yea, I am very excited; no more having to drive to the grove or santa monica. :D

You have got to be kidding me. How much closer is the beverly center to you than the grove? Jeez I can walk to the grove and it takes me barely 20 minutes, same to the beverly center.

edit: job interview at Apple The Grove on Sunday :D

Graeme A

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
I love the Apple stores at the Grove and Santa Monica but I do not like the Beverly Center at all for a shopping experience.

The Grove has always seemed to be a bright and friendly place, but the BC is really badly congested (traffic) and does not seem to have a good layout. What stores they do have there are very 'frou frou' like LV.

The Grove and Santa Monica are more normal and accessible... You do not need 2 stores THAT close together, no matter how many Mac users it services.

JackSYi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Apple Stores

They should put a full sized store in Sacramento area, we only got mini-stores, and we can't test out all the products. Also, is there a store in New York, and if there is how big is it?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
JackSYi said:
They should put a full sized store in Sacramento area, we only got mini-stores, and we can't test out all the products. Also, is there a store in New York, and if there is how big is it?

This is what Apple has in New York:

New York

Albany, Crossgates
Buffalo, Walden Galleria
Garden City, Roosevelt Field
Huntington Station, Walt Whitman
New York City, SoHo
Syracuse, Carousel
West Nyack, Palisades
White Plains, The Westchester

The SoHo Store is the one that I want to visit soon. It's a Flag Ship Store, a sand alone that has multiple floor. A nice theatre quality theater. It opened in July 2002.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Apple stores are needed in Edinburgh, Scotland and I rekon Milton Keynes in England too, because it's pretty central...

Sod all these american stores, although it's nice to know there's on in Santa Monica, just perfect for when i'm over next :D

vwcruisn

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
Santa Monica, Ca
Xapplimatic said:
OH Come on... Apple has far too many stores in the LA area already compared to the rest of the planet..

Glendale, LA, Northridge, Santa Monica, Pasadena. That's 5 total...
Now they're gonna have a 6th LA County store, and it's not fair...
The Inland area has a much larger territory than LA and is completely underserved with only one store in San Bernardino County (in the most western corner they could find so that it's still serving LA County customers) in Rancho Cucamonga, and nothing at all in Riverside County!
That makes it 1-2 hours for anyone from Riverside (city), "high desert", or Palm Springs area (ONE WAY) to reach an Apple store. That ain't cool.

Come on Apple.. Riverside County needs a Riverside store.

an apple store in the 909? bwahahahah

bmull

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2001
DARN!!

bbyrdhouse said:
Dang...I thought for a minute it could have meant Louisiana. (LA) :(

I'm right there with you. I wish we would get a New Orleans store.

lmvick

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2005
New Apple Store in LA

areyouwishing said:
I am LOVING all these people complaining about not having 5 Apple stores within a 50 mile radius of them.

Try living in Salt Lake City without a decent Mac store around.
store!

Hey SLC, come on down to St. George and you'll be only 2 hours from the Apple store in Las Vegas! :D

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
The Beverly Center store is going to be too close to the Grove store.

There used to be a Johnny Rocket's in the Beverly Connection. They had to close it because the Johnny Rocket's in the Grove was getting all the business.

Apple should put a new store (if any) in the San Fernando Valley. Try Studio City or Sherman Oaks. It's exactly halfway between the Grove and Northridge, and there are lots of potential Mac users with money there.

Or how about the mall at Highland and Hollywood? That one gets tons of Japanese tourists.

I don't get why you'd want 2 stores (Grove and Beverly Center) so close together. I guess they want the Beverly Hills crowd.

Anyway, that's my uninformed ignorant rant that probably no one will read.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
512ke said:
I don't get why you'd want 2 stores (Grove and Beverly Center) so close together. I guess they want the Beverly Hills crowd.

My guess is the Beverly Center store will be one of the mini-stores. Apple has a strategy of "twining" these type stores with a regular size store located nearby. In Palo Alto, that means within 1500 ft of each other. Another example is the two Bethesda stores. I don't know how this plan is working out yet as it is too early to tell with the mini-stores making their debut only last October, but Apple seems to be going full speed ahead with this approach as many of the new locations (Pentagon City, Orlando, etc.) look to be these kind of stores. No doubt this is part of a "saturation" strategy for major urban areas. We will have to wait and see how the Beverly Center store works out. If they keep making money, we can expect more store locations like this.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
"My guess is the Beverly Center store will be one of the mini-stores. Apple has a strategy of "twining" these type stores with a regular size store located nearby"

That's interesting. And it makes more sense than having two full-sized stores so close to each other. Good point.

thrash

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2005
LA
Sayhey said:
My guess is the Beverly Center store will be one of the mini-stores. Apple has a strategy of "twining" these type stores with a regular size store located nearby. In Palo Alto, that means within 1500 ft of each other. Another example is the two Bethesda stores. I don't know how this plan is working out yet as it is too early to tell with the mini-stores making their debut only last October, but Apple seems to be going full speed ahead with this approach as many of the new locations (Pentagon City, Orlando, etc.) look to be these kind of stores. No doubt this is part of a "saturation" strategy for major urban areas. We will have to wait and see how the Beverly Center store works out. If they keep making money, we can expect more store locations like this.

I was thinking that too. I think a BC store would be worth it just because The Grove is ALWAYS crowded, and its HELL during holidays. A mini store would be good for iPods since thats a vast majority of their clientele.

And to the person who said the Grove was small:

They have everything in the store that you can buy pretty much. The store would be bigger except that it was the first flagship store.

Don't get me wrong, an apple store where FAO was would be heaven.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
When the new store opens in LA, we have have Doctor Q be our official reporter. They way we can have the perspective of a mature person like myself.

Apple Stores on the EAST Coast

Frankly, I'm getting tired of all the announcements of LA County store openings. NYC has what, *ONE* frickin' store? C'mon. That seems just a tad absurd to me. And I'm sure others here could mention some major cities that have a dearth of Apple stores.

It seems that Apple thinks that only Californians buy Macs. How many stores are there in this state now, 20? How many in NYS -- or better yet, all other states COMBINED, 50? (Not sure of exact numbers here, but I don't think I'm light years off.)

Thank you, WD...

wdlove said:
This is what Apple has in New York:

New York

Albany, Crossgates
Buffalo, Walden Galleria
Garden City, Roosevelt Field
Huntington Station, Walt Whitman
New York City, SoHo
Syracuse, Carousel
West Nyack, Palisades
White Plains, The Westchester

The SoHo Store is the one that I want to visit soon. It's a Flag Ship Store, a sand alone that has multiple floor. A nice theatre quality theater. It opened in July 2002.

I wasn't aware AT ALL that NY had this many. I thought it had maybe 3 at the most. Where'd you get this information?

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Kethoticus said:
Frankly, I'm getting tired of all the announcements of LA County store openings. NYC has what, *ONE* frickin' store? C'mon. That seems just a tad absurd to me. And I'm sure others here could mention some major cities that have a dearth of Apple stores.

It seems that Apple thinks that only Californians buy Macs. How many stores are there in this state now, 20? How many in NYS -- or better yet, all other states COMBINED, 50? (Not sure of exact numbers here, but I don't think I'm light years off.)

NYC has nothing to complain about. It looks like by the end of the year both NYC and LA will be the only cities in the world with three Apple stores within their city limits (NYC - Soho, GM Building 5th Ave, and Flatiron; LA - The Grove, Century City, and Beverly Center.) New York City will also be the only city with two high-profile stores in it. The New York consolidated metro area will have 14 stores open by the end of the year, 13 if the 5th Ave. store is delayed into 2006. Which, in either case, is more than any metro area in the world. They are the following:

1. Soho, NYC
  2. Fifth Ave., NYC
  3. Flatiron, NYC
  4. West Nyack, NY
  5. White Plains, NY
  6. Garden City, NY
  7. Huntington Station, NY
  8. Bridgewater, NJ
  9. Edison, NJ
  10. Rockaway, NJ
  11. Short Hills, NJ
  12. Woodcliff Lake, NJ
  13. Paramus, NJ
  14. Danbury, CT

At the end of the year, New York State will have 11 stores (the ones posted by wdlove and the 5th Ave store, the Flatiron store, and the new Eastview Mall store in the Rochester area.) This will be second to the 27 in California by the same time. While California has more than twice the New York total, New York can claim to have an Apple store in every metro area with more than 300,000 people. California will still have seven such locations without stores.

Folks from lots of other places have room to complain about the number of LA and California stores; those from New York City aren't among them.

All the information listed above can be seen on Apple's website, starting with their lists of store locations and job openings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.