Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatherOfDragon

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2022
I thought the latest tvOS code release had fixed the issue, but I had the remote completely disconnect yesterday on my 2022 Apple TV 4K 128GB - wouldn't even turn on the Apple TV. Only a reboot fixed it... Only thing that happened yesterday is I had to reboot my access point. I had not had any disconnects since the update. Note that the remote is behind the base of the TV, so there is no line of sight - but this was never an issue in my older Apple TV.

Last edited:

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I've had the 2nd Gen. Apple TV 4K for four months and it's been worked perfectly. Last night, the remote disconnected for the first time. The battery had 90 percent charge and nothing in my networking environment had changed to cause any interference. I had to unplug the device and reboot it for the remote to connect again. (I'd forgotten I had the TV remote app on my iPhone, which I might have tried to reboot the device. The remote app connected just fine with the TV.)

rhaezorblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
This is occurring on my 2022 128gb model as well. Multiple disconnects so far. Very annoying. Rebooting the Apple TV fixes it

mattym42089

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
It’s an issue they “know about” and I’m working with a senior advisor to send logs in the next time it happens. I need to email him the next time it’s not working and he will then work with me to setup a profile to allow apple access to the logs to see what’s happening to cause the issue.

It’s very annoying since I bought these to replace my aging Google TVs that kept freezing.

sdplustj

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2022
Can confirm I’m having the exact same issue (bought the 128GB model a couple weeks ago) and like previously mentioned the whole year and a half that I had the previous model NEVER I had an issue, NGL I’m kinda disappointed.

ralphdaily

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
Birmingham, AL
My solution to remote disconnecting is to use remote app on my iPhone. This is actually a terrible solution so I hope the software bug gets fixed.

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
I had my 2021 4k and never had this issue. I gave it to my son and get the 2022 model and it has happened 3 times in 5 days. Apple wanted to send me a new remote but it’s a software bug. I found that when I walk close to the Apple TV it works only at shorter distances. Rebooting is the only option, but senior tech said he hasn’t seen this.

yatesd

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2020
The 2022 model is my first Apple TV and haven't been impressed with the stability so far...have had to reconnect the remote a few times and lock ups with the Prime app.

rhaezorblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
Starting to wonder if this is related to waking the Apple TV up using Siri on a HomePod.. "Hey Siri, turn on the basement TV" - seems to trigger this disconnection

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
Starting to wonder if this is related to waking the Apple TV up using Siri on a HomePod.. "Hey Siri, turn on the basement TV" - seems to trigger this disconnection
I will have to try that. Mine disconnected again last night. Walk up close to the ATV and it works, until I step back 5+ feet and it loses connection. I am not sure if I asked Siri to turn it on then. Had to reboot again and all is good.

Reactions: AndreGB

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
I have always had problems with the "new" Siri remote, both on the newest hardware and on last-gen hardware.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Wanted to open a thread and saw this. The new 128GB TV is my first Apple TV and the remote looses its connection all the time. It then only work pointing the remote directly at the ATV from like 20cm.
It’s incredibly annoying and feels totally random though it feels it sometimes happens after I used my iPhone to control the ATV.

Sometimes I’m still able to control the TV volume which is totally weird, maybe it’s some kind of HDMI CEC issue?

Rebooting fixes it

Reactions: iwan073 and ahmede

ahmede

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Wanted to open a thread and saw this. The new 128GB TV is my first Apple TV and the remote looses its connection all the time. It then only work pointing the remote directly at the ATV from like 20cm.
It’s incredibly annoying and feels totally random though it feels it sometimes happens after I used my iPhone to control the ATV.

Sometimes I’m still able to control the TV volume which is totally weird, maybe it’s some kind of HDMI CEC issue?

Rebooting fixes it

I'm having similar issues on my 2021 4K.
This on TVOS 15.7

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
Anyone contact apple about this?
yup.
Yes everyone with problem sound use the Apple TV Feedback because an old friend tells me the tech stills reads these reports! I'm a firm believer there reports will make a difference!
I spoke to them Thursday but left feedback reporting the same issue just now. I am thinking of using a smart plug to remotely "unplug" it until they resolve the issue.

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
It has happened twice more and I have not been using my Homepod to control the tv. I installed the ATV on a smart plug so I don't have to dig behind the tv to restart it. Sadly, the OEM remote for my Samsung TV continues to work perfectly controlling my ATV. Go figure...

AndreGB

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
It’s an issue they “know about” and I’m working with a senior advisor to send logs in the next time it happens.
This is the very kind of thing that makes me wonder Apple engineers themselves don't use the very products they design. I find it so hard to believe that a tvOS engineer hasn't encountered this issue before on his own AppleTV at his home.
I mean, we've had 2 or 3 patches for tvOS since the 2022 ATV 4K came out and none of them seem to have addressed this issue.

Reactions: iwan073

AndreGB

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
It has happened twice more and I have not been using my Homepod to control the tv. I installed the ATV on a smart plug so I don't have to dig behind the tv to restart it. Sadly, the OEM remote for my Samsung TV continues to work perfectly controlling my ATV. Go figure...
It's because the ATV unit also accepts infrared commands. So your Samsung remote must be sending IR commands to it.
ATV's own remote uses Bluetooth to connect to the box, mostly to patch the software inside the remote, to load the profile of the TV connected via HDMI (so you could change the TV's volume using that very remote) and also for Siri's voice control.
Next time your remote disconnects from ATV, try using another remote to go to Settings and search for Bluetooth devices. You'll notice that your box won't find any. Plus, AirPods and MFi/PlayStation/Xbox joysticks won't connect either. That's because the box stops communicating via the main BT antenna and only keeps the short distance BT alive.

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
It's because the ATV unit also accepts infrared commands. So your Samsung remote must be sending IR commands to it.
ATV's own remote uses Bluetooth to connect to the box, mostly to patch the software inside the remote, to load the profile of the TV connected via HDMI (so you could change the TV's volume using that very remote) and also for Siri's voice control.
Next time your remote disconnects from ATV, try using another remote to go to Settings and search for Bluetooth devices. You'll notice that your box won't find any. Plus, AirPods and MFi/PlayStation/Xbox joysticks won't connect either. That's because the box stops communicating via the main BT antenna and only keeps the short distance BT alive.
It how do you explain my previous ATV which is 2021 4K using the same model remote on the same Samsung TV for a year and it never lost connection to the remote. I was thinking maybe a different Bluetooth version in the newer model could be the cause.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.