Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyduncan

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by Parikh1234
Thats why we have the background change every 10 seconds

And the menu bar too?

Even if you might be able to avoid burning any one image in to the screen, your screen is still burning out, just in a more uniform manner.

Parikh1234

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
LF NJ USA
Originally posted by andyduncan
And the menu bar too?

Even if you might be able to avoid burning any one image in to the screen, your screen is still burning out, just in a more uniform manner.

Its a secondary monitor which means theres no menu bar or dock at the bottom.

Also thats why you buy the 10 year warranty.

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Tomorrow? I'll believe it when i see it, there were rumors of new displays "any day now" back when the G5's were announced. It's been over 6 months since then and still nothing.

If it does turn out to be true then i guess I can have a nice G5 styled 20" and my current 20" for a dual monitor setup. I just hope I have enough room to fit 2 on my desk :)

andyduncan

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by Parikh1234
Its a secondary monitor which means theres no menu bar or dock at the bottom.

Also thats why you buy the 10 year warranty.

Warranty doesn't cover the "It doesn't look as nice as it did" problem. You'd have a hard time convincing anyone to replace your display because it's not as bright as it used to be, and yet that is precisely the problem that even a consistent burn-out would cause.

Plus I'm not convinced you've managed to avoid burn IN anyway. Despite the fact that you don't have a menu bar on this secondary monitor, you'd have to be moving your windows around constantly to avoid burn in. Even if the windows weren't left in exactly the same position each time, you'd have areas that were more burned out than others. People tend to leave particular windows in more or less the same place, especially on large monitors. Also there are a ton of reasons why moving your windows around all the time is a terrible solution, the largest one being inneficiency (spatial memory is powerful).

It sounds picky, but Plasma really is "that bad" for anything but full-screen full-motion video. Even then it burns out under "normal wear and tear" far too quickly for you to take advantage of that 10 year warranty.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by mrsebastian
does anyone know if using a flat screen (plasma) tv with a mac is possible? i assume that the resolution wouldn't be that good, but then all the new ones are ready for high def. has anyone tried it? i'm wondering, because if you're gonna spend 3-4 grand, why not get a 42" monitor!

Yes. DVI works quite well.

There is some "leeway" in the DVI spec that has led some combinations to not work optimally, but generally a DVI-capable Mac and a DVI-connectable HDTV will work well together. Mine did for the thirty minutes I had to geek out and connect them ...

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
i was thinking this also what better way to get rid of those LCd's then to have a all new plasma line of monitors that can do computer and tv. and they can have the new Plasma-Imac? can it be done?

It can be done, but there are issues:

1) Resolution. Nothing over 1280x768-ish (perhaps slightly less, perhaps slightly more, depends on the manufacturer). [Also, the refresh rate will generally be pretty low with an HDTV-oriented screen ... 29.7fps doesn't exactly force Sharp to put a 120Hz refresh rate on their TVs ...]

2) All the HDTV stuff costs you money. The de-interlacers, RF/SVideo/composite/component converters, 3/2 pulldown circuitry, etc: it all hits your pocketbook.

3) TV sets will be optimized for clarity of a moving picture, not clarity of a static picture or text. There is a huge difference.

4) Plasma burn in. Not a good thing. [Others have covered this well; Plasma has a VERY big burn-in problem, and I too am extremely hesitant to believe anyone would be able to operate their Mac without causing burn-in, even on a secondary screen ... general lifetime isn't overly bad with Plasma so an even burn-in isn't too much of an issue, but realize that the effective life is significantly less than either CRT or LCD in operating hours (and at the end of an LCD's brightness halflife you just have to replace the backlight; the entire Plasma display has to be junked when it is no longer bright enough)]

A plasma monitor connected to a hefty behometh of a computer ... reminds me of the Compaq "Luggable" glory days, basking in the orange glow of the gas plasma screen ...

brhmac

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2003
Planet Earth
These Page 2 rumors need to be time-stamped in the headline

Using words like "tomorrow" in these Page 2 rumor headlines is really misleading. They give a false impression that the displays may actually come "tomorrow." Run it long enough -- even as a "Page 25" rumor -- and it will come true. :D

"New Displays Jan. 20?" would be far more accurate.

rtype

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2003
dallas, nation of texas
Re: These Page 2 rumors need to be time-stamped in the headline

Originally posted by brhmac
Using words like "tomorrow" in these Page 2 rumor headlines is really misleading. They give a false impression that the displays may actually come "tomorrow." Run it long enough -- even as a "Page 25" rumor -- and it will come true. :D

"New Displays Jan. 20?" would be far more accurate.
It's actually not true if it always says they will come tomorrow. If they do come, then it will be that they came today and everyone would think they came early.

I thought that was the point of the joke... like the painted on sign at Joe's Crabshack "free crabs tomorrow" and tomorrow never comes.

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
Wow! the new displays are awesome! I can't wait until the new PowerBooks in 2 weeks, the new G5s next week, and the new iPod next week, I mean the week after, I mean the week after that, no the week after that, no just one more week after that.......

Didn't we all play this game last year when virtually everything had a pending update that was sure to come any Tuesday from Jan 1 to late May! I'm over it.

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
who wants an LCD anyway? Design professionals won't and can't use them because of calibration problems. Who's left? Movie editors? Because everyone know how good 30 fps looks on an LCD, it's like watching it drunk on a CRT.

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Originally posted by rog
Didn't we all play this game last year when virtually everything had a pending update that was sure to come any Tuesday from Jan 1 to late May! I'm over it.

Eh, your point being?

That's how the rumours game is played.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
I wonder about those rumors about the new displays coming when the bumped G5s come? Hmmm. I wouldn't mind seeing both (even though it'd make my G5 a dinosaur). New monitors would be great because man, the current line up is pretty long in the tooth. Additionally the specs of them (brightness, contrast, ns, refresh) just don't cut it, there's cheaper, more advanced models out there. I wish Formac(.com) would make their monitors wide screen. I've seen them in person, not sure I like the cases but the picture quality when next to an Apple cinema, at least in terms of brightness, the Apple is weak by comparison.

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Miami, FLorida
Originally posted by Photorun
I wonder about those rumors about the new displays coming when the bumped G5s come? Hmmm. I wouldn't mind seeing both (even though it'd make my G5 a dinosaur). New monitors would be great because man, the current line up is pretty long in the tooth. Additionally the specs of them (brightness, contrast, ns, refresh) just don't cut it, there's cheaper, more advanced models out there. I wish Formac(.com) would make their monitors wide screen. I've seen them in person, not sure I like the cases but the picture quality when next to an Apple cinema, at least in terms of brightness, the Apple is weak by comparison.

I sent Formac an email - and they told me that they are working on a Wide Screen LCD!!!! :D

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
When is tomorrow

As kids... tomorrow was always after "one more sleep" - For example with a pending vacation the day after tomorrow... we would be going to Disneyland in just "two more sleeps" etc....

So now, in the day of Starbucks and Red Bull - I pose the question - without sleep does tomorrrow ever truly arrive?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by TranceClubMusic
I sent Formac an email - and they told me that they are working on a Wide Screen LCD!!!! :D

you have a copy of this email? that would be news.

D

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Originally posted by TranceClubMusic

BITCHIN! All the ADC goodness and the two USBs, better specs than Apple (at least currently) with a lower price tag... ya CAN'T go wrong! If you're not pulling our legs that's GREAT news! And can they hurry it up?!?! I need a new monitor ASAP!

Packetloss

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2003
I really don't understand the problem with all Mac **** rumors around.

I mean, if Apple will release new Powerbooks or Displays or whatever there should be "many" people around already knowing that the products is in production, right?

As Apple doesn't manufacture their hardware on their own but lay it out on third party manufactures, these people at the production line in China should already know about what is happening long before we know it.

It's not like it is 1 person involved in these things and there are always people leaking information.

What's the deal with this?

Packetloss

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2003
You want Alu. displays with better specs and that's already out on the market?

Well, visit Eyegonomic

Really don't understand what the problem is because why wait for slowass Apple to release stuff when you already can buy better displays?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Packetloss

Well, visit Eyegonomic

Ah, nice, but they're not exactly easy to find. I did a search to buy one and came up short....

and their T24 has 1920x1200 res and sells for 3800 Euro - not exactly cheap. I'd rather buy a 23" Apple LCD and save a bunch.

D

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by Packetloss

Well, visit Eyegonomic

Yeah, I had already seen those Danish aluminum displays. They look awesome. I think that's the direction Apple should head with their monitors. Aluminum bezel on the iMac arm... talk about stunning!:D

PS- that's great news about Formac widescreen displays! Do post the email response.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.