Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

=pa=

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2003
Toronto
A lot of you people are arguing that a 30 inch display would be too expensive; well, the 23 in. display was around $3k when it came out, and the 30 in. will mainly cater to video production houses, who spend about a zillion times more on stuff like outboard gear, cameras, audio, etc.

Believe me, an extra grand or two is like pocket change for these guys; a 30 in. monitor certainly wouldn't be aimed at the mass consumer market.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
If the the 30" Cinema Display is introduced and costs around $3,500, I would be very interested. That would be awesome for watching DVD's.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by TranceClubMusic
I respectfully disagree. In my opinion if a company is "entertaining" an idea - that is "working" on it. Maybe not physically producing one - but the idea has to be entertained before the project moves foward. I believe that if Formac wasnt going to make a wide screen - they would of had just replied with "we have no plans on such a product at this time". The thought of someone telling us that an idea is being "entertained" gives us hope that someone at Formac is looking to the furture of wide screen displays...........besides its not like I said: New Formac Displays "tomorrow" (hint hint) or New Formac Displays at MacWord, or New Formac Displays on Anniversary or maybe next Tuesday? lmfaoooooo - You get the point :p
At least I shared with everyone in the group something "real" and in writting as apposed to me dreaming up dates for a Formac Display Releases :D

I do agree with - Its nothing to get excited over - but lots of these rumors are nothing to get worked about either!!
Just dont kill the messanger - Im like everyone else here - we all want better displays and I hope Formac does make wide screens for us in the future. :)

I see your point, but it's a matter of interpretation, and you original claim was that you had proof they were working on wide screen displays. It's simply not that black and white.

I'm entertaining the idea of buying a G5 when the new ones come out, but that doesn't mean I have the means to do it anytime soon. ;)

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

I'm entertaining the idea of buying a G5 when the new ones come out, but that doesn't mean I have the means to do it anytime soon. ;)
They're coming out with new G5's? :p

army_guy

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
United Kingdom
Originally posted by wdlove
If the the 30" Cinema Display is introduced and costs around $3,500, I would be very interested. That would be awesome for watching DVD's.

You cant watch DVD's even on the 23" the 30" will probably have double the response time of the 23" all you will see is smearing IMO. Large LCD's are not for watching DVD's thier just too slow to keep up with the action.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by army_guy
You cant watch DVD's even on the 23" the 30" will probably have double the response time of the 23" all you will see is smearing IMO. Large LCD's are not for watching DVD's thier just too slow to keep up with the action.

24 fps equals roughly a 41ms response time.

Most LCDs do this just fine. Like I said before, it seems you're basing your opinions on having seen a bad LCD and/or bad video card driving it.

army_guy

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
United Kingdom
No, not a bad batch. the apple 20", 23" sony 23" and the PB 17" only the 17" was good enough with DVD's. The 20" wasnt bad but looking closely there is blur/smear, iam not even gona say anything about the 23"s DVD viewing was with Monsters Inc and Matrix.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Apples LCD's may come with high resolution, but they have a low nit and only 350/1 contrast ratio... You're not going to get deep blacks, so I'm sticking with my studio display CRT. I can't find any info on response time, but I know as you scale higher the performance is worse.

I personally don't watch any DVD's on my mac or any computer.. I'm sure some do, but no one I know personally. However if you play games on these LCD's you'll see ghosting and the colors wont be as good as some other LCD's that have 500:1 to 700:1 and a 300 nit. Can't compare the response time, but I know many LCD's in the 17 to 19 have pretty good response time.. The larger ones 20" or more don't.

army_guy

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
United Kingdom
as you scale higher it is MUCH worse, currently even 1 or 2 inches can result in a 10ms increase like going from 19" to 20".
I cant imagine going from 23" to 30", id say the 30" would have at least 35ms assuming your using the best of the best panels ( more likely 40ms-80ms). Correct me if iam wrong?

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Re: Formac Widescreen Displays

Originally posted by TranceClubMusic
Dear John,

As of today we dont have such a product. Having said that Formac is entertaining the idea of wide screen models for the future. Though we dont have specific information, we suggest for you to subscribe to our newsletter at http://www.formac.us to keep up to date on new product announcements.

Best regards,
Formac Sales Team

Formac Electronic Inc.
1510 6th Street
Berkeley, CA 94710
Phone 1-877-4FORMAC
Fax (510) 528-9014
e-mail: sales@formac.us
Visit our website http://www.formac.us
On Dec 16, 2003, at 3:13 AM, John Caraballo wrote:
I just LOVE your products. I was wondering.........do you have plans in the future to make "Wide Screen" additions to your product lines like the Apple Cinema Displays?
Thanks for your time.
John

Thanks for coming through.

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Well, just as an FYI I thought I would try the Formac UK offices, with the same query:
---------------
Hi
I was just wondering if you guys have any plans to release Widescreen versions of your LCD monitors?
Kind regards
xxxxxxxx

No not at present, although not in widescreen the Gallery displays give you the same horizontal resolution as the widescreen versions but you get a larger vertical resolution giving you even more screen for your money.

Regards
Formac UK
--------------------

Vanilla

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.