Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by bannedagain
For the estimated price of a 30" LCD screen why not buy a good projector?

Are you still going on about projectors? :p

Point us to what you have in mind for something in the 30" LCD's price range so we have something to compare to.

Like I've said before, with the issues of resolution, bulb life, etc., projectors are not really a day-to-day option.

tunanut

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2004
Originally posted by Packetloss

snip...It's not like it is 1 person involved in these things and there are always people leaking information. What's the deal with this?

it's called honoring a non-disclosure agreement.

Beck446

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
That eyegonomic stuff is truly awesome!

Apple should get them to make branded displays.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
Originally posted by Beck446
That eyegonomic stuff is truly awesome!

Apple should get them to make branded displays.

Heck - Apple should jusy buy them and let Win/Tel people pay Apple for these!

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
interesting with the eyegonomic stuff how when you load the 3d view, it uses the mac startup image...

not that means a damn thing.

nico_rep_nico

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2003
fl
not till july i think...

yea, if they do not come in the next 2 weeks, its gonna be july.

i just bought a 20inch cinema display and i am very happy with it.....as long as i dont know.....i have the best 20inch for the money.....

the f_cking thing has a dead pixel too but i still dont care...(i can only see it if i am using black, thats why i use white)
....i love my new 20inch display....

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Geez, can we pull this from Page 2? In fact anything about new anything, clearly we're entering a long period of snoozeville Apple news-wise. In fact, my advice, Arn, take a vacation, you deserve it!

army_guy

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
United Kingdom
anything above 19 inch is no good IMO the factors such as contrast, brightness, colour, responce time, amount of dead pixles go downhill. The only good 19 inch is the latest DELL. Every panel ive looked at bigger than 19" just blurs and ghosts all over the place even the new generation panels just released be sharp are even worse. A 30" display IMO will blur and ghost so much it wouldnt be usable. Consider the 23" panels have 40-50ms responce times while the 19" have 20ms my guess would be that the 30" would be around 60-80ms!!! or more?? To eliminate ghosting one needs <10ms then and only then would I ever touch an LCD.

army_guy

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
United Kingdom
there is no 16ms 23 inch panels, maybe 12-18 months time but not now. OK i see it but given current technology the only way to get 16ms on a panel that size is to compromise colour (as the 19 inch DELL does) manufactures say 16ms but is it? Toms hardware/xbit labs did some tests on measuring responce times they were way off manufacture specs (25-30ms instead of claimed 16ms) so the 16ms I see on the lgphillips site is IMO far from it. LG may also measure it differently for example white to grey instead of white to black, unless they can show the full risetime and fall time in thier spec then I dont believe that 16ms period.

meth31783

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2003
central connecticut
i was gonna wait til mwsf to get my 20 inch cinema display but just couldnt wait and went for it. I am really happy with it, it has one stuck pixel toward the top left though, not a big deal to me cuz i hardly notice it. It'd be nice to see a new form factor and/or price drop on the lcd's. Who knows when they'll come out with the new ones, but the older ones do look dated next to the aluminum G5. I still love my 20 incher though.

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Miami, FLorida
Formac Widescreen Displays

Dear John,

As of today we dont have such a product. Having said that Formac is entertaining the idea of wide screen models for the future. Though we dont have specific information, we suggest for you to subscribe to our newsletter at http://www.formac.us to keep up to date on new product announcements.

Best regards,
Formac Sales Team

Formac Electronic Inc.
1510 6th Street
Berkeley, CA 94710
Phone 1-877-4FORMAC
Fax (510) 528-9014
e-mail: sales@formac.us
Visit our website http://www.formac.us
On Dec 16, 2003, at 3:13 AM, John Caraballo wrote:
I just LOVE your products. I was wondering.........do you have plans in the future to make "Wide Screen" additions to your product lines like the Apple Cinema Displays?
Thanks for your time.
John

tunanut

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2004
hullo? personally, i think replies from people at a company when they sign a NAME is cool, but doncha hate it when 'customer service' personnel don't give you their last name or in some cases, even a first name as in, 'best regards, the team?' oh yeah, the whole team. smacks of a latent advert no? oh well, fodder for a new thread perhaps.

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Miami, FLorida
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
"entertaining the idea of" does not equal "working on"

Nothing to get worked up about.

I respectfully disagree. In my opinion if a company is "entertaining" an idea - that is "working" on it. Maybe not physically producing one - but the idea has to be entertained before the project moves foward. I believe that if Formac wasnt going to make a wide screen - they would of had just replied with "we have no plans on such a product at this time". The thought of someone telling us that an idea is being "entertained" gives us hope that someone at Formac is looking to the furture of wide screen displays...........besides its not like I said: New Formac Displays "tomorrow" (hint hint) or New Formac Displays at MacWord, or New Formac Displays on Anniversary or maybe next Tuesday? lmfaoooooo - You get the point :p
At least I shared with everyone in the group something "real" and in writting as apposed to me dreaming up dates for a Formac Display Releases :D

I do agree with - Its nothing to get excited over - but lots of these rumors are nothing to get worked about either!!
Just dont kill the messanger - Im like everyone else here - we all want better displays and I hope Formac does make wide screens for us in the future. :)

army_guy

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
United Kingdom
Originally posted by bannedagain
For the estimated price of a 30" LCD screen why not buy a good projector?

A projector for computer use, not really it isnt the same thing. For a projector you need a ton of room space, a dark lit room, and need to be sitting quite far.

Now if the choice was a between a 50" plasma screen costing £8000-£10000 (of which they only last 2-3 years under moderate use and then have to to replaced!!) and a projector say costing a similar amount, it would be stuidpid to get the plasma. The projector would provide a sharper, brighter, bigger (50"-300"++) and more cinematic depth, colour and contrast. Forget the plasma it doesnt even compare to a projector.

army_guy

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
United Kingdom
Originally posted by thetman
hmm a 30" for ~$3500 or two 20" for <$3000 tough choice for me

that 30" will have inferior picture quality to the 20", remember producing larger panels requires more experience. With the 30" theres gona be more problems than there is now with the 23" Theres no point in develping larger panels if the current problems in the 19-23" panel are propagated through, they need to be solved/improved and then produce the 30"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.