Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
Until the key apps you wish to you choose to exit the app store, leaving you with a dilemma of eschewing those apps or opening your device up.
Regardless of the opening up part, what's to stop it from becoming download xyz store for xyz app, dozens of stores popping up will be like streaming services or worse, News+... So many news outlets charge their own subscription and don't play ball with News+.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Oh God, Apple just can’t catch a break from all this. I feel like the EU is the reason we got to see the new not-so-good iPads and MacBook Pros are delayed till next year. No November Apple event!
product that lacks innovation and delays are in no way related to eu forcing companies to open up their walled garden.

WiiDSmoker

Suspended
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Regardless of the opening up part, what's to stop it from becoming download xyz store for xyz app, dozens of stores popping up will be like streaming services or worse, News+... So many news outlets charge their own subscription and don't play ball with News+.

How do you install applications not utilizing the AppStore on your 14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro 1TB 16GB (2021)?

Last edited:

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
I feel like this was always inevitable, and I feel like Apple knew it this whole time. Also feel like they've been prepping for it, and as soon as it's real and they have to allow third-party app stores... the App Store will launch on Android. It's gonna be weird times ahead.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Have you forgotten the last 30 years of computer OSs? How do you think Microsoft handles Windows? Apple handles MacOS? They are both open. Apple says MacOS is secure, yet it allows these things that the EU is mandating for mobile devices.

Are you telling me that Apple can keep MacOS secure and not iPhone OS? Is that what you’re saying?
Yes that is what is being said. The idea of the phone is minimized tech and enhanced user experience. iOS, the opposite of android.

So if the phone gets hacked you will never know it.

WiiDSmoker

Suspended
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Oh God, Apple just can’t catch a break from all this. I feel like the EU is the reason we got to see the new not-so-good iPads and MacBook Pros are delayed till next year. No November Apple event!
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Holy Hell

I thought I’ve seen it all.

Ladies and gentlemen, here is a post twisting themselves into a pretzel trying to make up why Apple products were lackluster this quarter for a decision that not only isn’t signed into law, but is years away from being in forced even if it became a law today.

hahahhahahaha

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
I think the EU should drop this idea if Apple agrees to perpetually take no commission for app sales, IAP, developer accounts, unwind iAds, and stop pre-installing their services apps (Music, TV, Fitness+).

This way Apple can decide whether profit or platform integrity is the thing they care about.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Holy Hell

I thought I’ve seen it all.

Ladies and gentlemen, here is a post twisting themselves into a pretzel trying to make up why Apple products were lackluster this quarter for a decision that not only isn’t signed into law, but is years away from being in forced even if it became a law today.

hahahhahahaha
Hahaha nice post 😂. So, you are saying USB-C is years away? Thus we have it on iPads and other Apple products for years now.

WiiDSmoker

Suspended
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Hahaha nice post 😂. So, you are saying USB-C is years away? Thus we have it on iPads and other Apple products.

Apple can technically wait until 2025 to release an iPhone with USB-C if they want, as long as the 2024 one is released before the deadline [grandfathered in].

But way to deflect your post. Doesn’t work on me.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Good news!!! Apple advertises the Mac as secure yet has open app stores, side loading AKA installing whatever you want. What makes the iphone so different? NOBODY is forcing you to do these on your phone if you don’t want to.
Keep getting this same tired argument over and over again. It will be software companies forcing people to use other stores, by only offering their apps there, so they can ignore Apple’s safeguards, or get more money (you… you don’t actually expect they’re going to lower their prices, do you?).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.