Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
It’s like I’m living in some bizarro world reading these comments that are biasly ignoring the fact that Apple keeps MacOS secure while allowing other app stores and applications to be installed w/o their permission.
It's like i'm living in some bizarro world where people believe that Apple sells the same number of Macs as they do iPhones and iPads, and that somehow the OS on all of them is the same.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Dragging everyone down to the same level has its charm, but good grief, getting into how software works seems a huge reach to me. There has to be some differentiation to distinguish one brand from another. To me Android is the 'Wild Wild West', you are mostly on your own, and iOS is the city, things just work. It's safer, less abusive, more dependable. Hearing about people losing their address books and other data on droid systems seems less an issue, but wow, when I lost both on the device and my computer, I was so pissed and left high and dry. Not a good feeling. PLUS depending on Google/whomever to stay out of my stuff is a concern (COINTELPRO) so that is a big issue for me. Sure, trusting ANY corporation is an ask, but Google has abused their users way more than Apple. (Getting a free U2 album doesn't count as abuse in my book)

So should the EU stay out of the software part of the business? I think so. I mean, as long as they aren't openly (or covertly) spying on users, having standards on what apps can be loaded is not a bad thing. Limiting users ability to hurt themselves is NOT A BAD THING. Being in the business for so long, people that are hacked usually (mostly) hack themselves! They unwittingly do themselves... Sure, Apple hasn't been 100%, but I also don't download apps that I don't need, and stay away from those most likely to be suspect. *shrug* It's software, and it can drive hardware into a brick wall. I feel that the Android market could benefit from what Apple does. Instead of dragging Apple down to the droid level, why not drag Google up to the level of Apple! Bring things UP, not beat them down. I mean, I like USB-C for everything, should have happened earlier for Apple, the smattering of USB-C devices is frustrating, but Apple at least tries very hard to protect their users.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
Can you name one app so appealing that you would get it even if the developer won't place it on the AppStore? Facebook?

Kindle. I have tons of eBooks from Amazon and if the Kindle App for iOS becomes only available from some "Amazon Store" I would definitely install it still.

Ironically, a solution to this would be to force Amazon's eBooks to be officially interoperable with other eBook reading applications like iBooks from Apple or other third-parties...

dynamojoe

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Miami, FL
Bring it on. It's not like you're being forced to sideload.
Yes, you will be forced to sideload. As soon as you're required to have an app (for your job or school or whatever), and the only way to get it is to sideload, you'll have to sideload. Hopefully you'll only have to sideload an app, not an entire store just to get that app.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
I'm guessing the new Lockdown Mode gives an indication on how Apple will implement this. They could implement 3 modes: Open (Third-Party Access, EU-compliant), Standard (Apple-Secured, equivalent to current state), and Lockdown Mode with options to switch between. In the EU, Open (Third-Party Access) would be the default mode while the rest of the world defaults to Standard (Apple-Secured) and they would provide a description that using Open (Third-Party Access) mode removes some of Apple's security protections to try to discourage people from using the Open mode.

In iMessage, messages to and from people using third-party clients could be Red to distinguish them from blue Apple first-party client iMessages and there could be an option to not allow iMessages from third-party clients.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2012
The EU crushed its own industries under crippling moronic regulations, and, having done that, now seeks to constantly rent-seek and crush American industries because they have nothing home-grown that can compete.

Which of their industries did they crush? They're the wealthiest continent, and if I recall correctly, they got the highest quality of life in all rankings, so they must be doing something right.

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
You do realise that majority of the people who sideload apps are the ones who sideload cracked/pirated apps? How is that any good for the developers on iOS
Perhaps now, but imagine the possibilities if sideloading (aka "installing what you want") would be allowed.

I think plenty of legit developers would offer plain installation packages just to circumvent the 30% App Store tax, or even just to circumvent the relatively elaborate and somewhat arbitrary process of getting your app approved by Apple and into the App Store.

nikusak

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2014
Absolutely nobody uses iMessage in Europe. It will be amusing if Apple is considered a gatekeeper for messaging.

You all should also understand that EU’s proposed approach to interoperability for messaging and video calls is based on conversion gateways which *will break* E2E.

There is no way to preserve E2E and convert messages / video streams into another format.

Non-interoperability isn’t a consumer problem that needs solving. If EU decides what features are allowed, then all innovation will die. Look at email. It’s the same as it was in the 90s.

How does one make Apple’s iMessage apps work on, say, WhatsApp? You don’t. They will be banned.

On the other hand: if all messaging apps start to interoperate at a basic level I can dump WhatsApp etc. and use Apple’s stock messaging app for everything.

Easy (warning dialogs will be forbidden) sideloading will result in a massive influx of malware such as fake banking apps.

Especially on Android the consequences will be amazing.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
While I am always open to, well, opening things up, I came from the era of PocketPCs, where you could install anything you want and several app stores existed. And while that sounds good for the user, it was a PITA. Different apps had different licensing rules - serial numbers, activations servers, differing activation install counts. A real mess. Plus, you never knew the whole breadth of what was available because app sources were all over the place.

The Apple app store keeps it simple. All he apps in one place, one licensing model, 5 device installs, nice and simple. And a relatively stable model for security. You could just limit yourself to the Apple app store to keep this simplicity, but I worry what changes will come to the app store if Apple is forced to open things up.

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
The EU really is steering the world in many ways, it's just that they do it in a subtle, soft-power manner without talking too much.

There are comment periods on all proposed regulations, and somehow they still catch a dozing industry by surprise. The EU has banned so many noxious chemicals that we are exposed to every day, and that ticks off industry and their cadres of well paid lobbyists. The EU is by and large a good thing, but their actions can sting a little from time to time.. *shrug* I felt in college majoring in government that what the world needs is some consistency, someone 'leading', someone watching out for the people over the corporate jaundiced eye. Hmm... I do feel they should stay out of the bits that differentiate different vendors. Android, risky; iOS safer, training wheels.

WiiDSmoker

Suspended
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
While I am always open to, well, opening things up, I came from the era of PocketPCs, where you could isntall anything you want and several app stores exsited. And while that sounds good for the user, it was a PITA. Different apps had different licensing rules - serial numbers, activations servers, differing activation install counts. A real mess. Plus, you never knew the whole breadth of what was available because app sources were all over the place.

The Apple app store keeps it simple. All he apps in one place, one licensing model, 5 device installs, nice and simple. And a relatively stable model for security. You could jsut limit yourself to the Apple app store to keep this simplicity, but I worry what changes will come to the app store if Apple is forced to open things up.
Apple can still have the AppStore. It’s not being taken away.

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
The EU would already have pretty much destroyed the data collection by Google, if the US would not threaten economic retaliations all the time. I wish the Americans would understand that they should protect consumers, not huge companies.

nikusak

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2014
Also, it will be fascinating to see gaming console OEMs keep their multi billion dollar monopolies on app distribution. They take a cut even from disc sales.

Think about that.

If Apple, the sole provider of iOS devices, needs to allow installation of apps from anywhere, then there is no reason why gaming HW companies shouldn’t do the same.

I know that you folks hate AppStore, but the truth is that it has been, and still is, fantastic for 99,999% of consumers.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Until the key apps you wish to you choose to exit the app store, leaving you with a dilemma of eschewing those apps or opening your device up.
Your comment is going to make some forum members on MR very very angry. These members cannot imagine not having a choice of an open marketplace or AppStore of their choose to use it in any capacity, to them it’s either what Apple says or nothing as to them Apple has no financial incentive and even if it did it has earned it in these members eyes.

Until Apple changes its AppStore policy to permit all apps its store operates like some Stepford club. Don’t like seeing gambling, adult, games, etc then Apple should provide a method to customise the AppStore. Afraid a child might come across some questionable apps, games or ads well that’s why there is ParentalControl.

If only iMessage was as open as WhatsApp without the necessary back door spying that the EU is considering I am all for it as it will remove the only Meta product on my phone.

BKDad

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
It's like i'm living in some bizarro world where people believe that Apple sells the same number of Macs as they do iPhones and iPads, and that somehow the OS on all of them is the same.
I also wonder if, given the chance for a reboot, Apple would apply the same reasoning to Mac devices now. (That horse is already way out of the barn, so it's obviously a moot point.)

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Yes, you will be forced to sideload. As soon as you're required to have an app (for your job or school or whatever), and the only way to get it is to sideload, you'll have to sideload. Hopefully you'll only have to sideload an app, not an entire store just to get that app.

I have yet to find an app that isn’t also available on the PlayStore (unless it wouldn’t be approved anyway).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.