Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Until the key apps you wish to you choose to exit the app store, leaving you with a dilemma of eschewing those apps or opening your device up.
Yes, you will be forced to sideload. As soon as you're required to have an app (for your job or school or whatever), and the only way to get it is to sideload, you'll have to sideload. Hopefully you'll only have to sideload an app, not an entire store just to get that app.

If the key apps you use leave the app store, ask yourself this: Was the app store a good enough service platform to convince those developers to stay on it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sophisticatednut

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
All the big tech companies need to leave this market entirely. Let them suffocate. No Android, no iOS, no Windows, no macOS.
Apply this same ideology to warranties and labour right, environmental protection, etc. Imagine the horror from these overreaction actors.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
If the key apps you use leave the app store, ask yourself this: Was the app store a good enough service platform to convince those developers to stay on it?
Ask your self if Apple will not amend its policy for the AppStore to not directly compete in certain financially lucrative markets.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
You do realise that majority of the people who sideload apps are the ones who sideload cracked/pirated apps? How is that any good for the developers on iOS

That's the same fallacy Playstation fanboys use in a failed attempt to try to convince Sony not to port their exclusives to PC.

Reactions: WiiDSmoker

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Kindle. I have tons of eBooks from Amazon and if the Kindle App for iOS becomes only available from some "Amazon Store" I would definitely install it still.

Ironically, a solution to this would be to force Amazon's eBooks to be officially interoperable with other eBook reading applications like iBooks from Apple or other third-parties...
A worthwhile dream.😎

I have always hated the way they handle copy protection. DRM sucks.😡 I have to resort to Calibre to remove DRM if I want to read on my Kobo. I also save my library on my computer. I won't be at the mercy of Amazon if they decide to erase my ebook collection.🤨

I'd rather they allow us to input the encryption key to unlock our Kindle content so we can use any reader we want. Still I prefer e-ink my Paper White to reading on a tablet or phone.

Reactions: jhfenton

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
This will probably only exist on paper just like GDPR is not really enforced for big players yet the average small store next door is getting fined for using Google Font on their website. Typical.

He says as Apple admitted it's having to comply with the USB-C requirement.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
Yes, you will be forced to sideload. As soon as you're required to have an app (for your job or school or whatever), and the only way to get it is to sideload, you'll have to sideload.

Companies already have the ability to side-load their own applications. Furthermore, companies typically require the installation of a Device Management profile to be able to install and use the company applications.

As example, these are the capabilities available to my employer as listed in the Device Management profile required to use the company applications:
  • Erase all data and settings.
  • Lock device and remove passcode.
  • List configuration profiles.
  • Add/remove configuration profiles.
  • Add/remove provisioning profiles.
  • List device information.
  • List network information.
  • List installed applications.
  • List restriction information.
  • List security information.
  • Apply settings.
  • Install and remove applications and data.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Yes, you will be forced to sideload. As soon as you're required to have an app (for your job or school or whatever), and the only way to get it is to sideload, you'll have to sideload. Hopefully you'll only have to sideload an app, not an entire store just to get that app.

But to me, being in the App Store lends a level of credence to the app. If a school can't release an app in the Apple App Store, they are flipping the finger at likely half of their student body. If they already have a droid version, it seems that having an iOS version isn't such a high reach. Perhaps Apple needs to be quicker on releasing educational apps on the App Store, rather than being forced to tear it all down.

TheToolGuide

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2021
Bring it on. It's not like you're being forced to sideload.
Side loading will not make apps better or make the phone more secure. It will do the opposite. Big companies that currently have to abide by a quality standard will no longer be required to meet those standards. Groups of apps can choose to disregard Apple’s guidelines and collect as much information as they’d like because they don’t have to abide to Apple’s App store rules. Your data that was secure on your phone and your friends iPhones will now be open to anyone in your friends and family that chooses to side load a crappy app and give them access to your data on their phone (photos, addresses, phone numbers, email history, etc).

More companies will be subject to pirating of their intellectual property because anyone can pirate their IPs and side load them on their iOS devices.

This will happen if allowed. It already happens on Android. Sure there will be competition but also that competition can simply circumvent any safeguards that were in place. This is just like the government saying that people can just come into your home from any opening they want and sit on your couch. Doesn’t matter if they didn‘t bathe, or eat food on your couch, or go through your mail, government said it was okay and so now they can do whatever you want. But don’t worry you can just not sideload yourself because that protects you right.

What should be done is that better regulation and openness to API’s, while maintaining security and stability of your device.

Onelifenofear

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2019
London
How do you force a company to make iMessage open? Are they going to force Facebook to open WhatsApp?

So one thing Apple can do is say. Sure stick a store on there. Then you cannot use Apples store at all... and that store can't have access to any sensitive information at all within the phone.

So basically a hobbled phone.

Or they could just stop selling the iPhone in Europe.... and see how long those Rule last. The public would go nuts ( as would every Politician that can only use apple stuff )

nikusak

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2014
One more thing: Apple’s IAP and 15-30% cut is definitely problematic in many cases.

I don’t see how Apple can justify taking 15-30% if AppStore IAP is used from services it competes with, like Spotify and Netflix.

Fix it: only a nominal cut (0,x%) or allow third party IAPs, instead of allowing (too easy) sideloading. Seriously, look at the waves of FluBots and the like on Android. Sideloading is not a solution to anything.

Apple’s sandboxing and API limitations prevent most of Android-like malware, but still.

I think half of my purchases are a result of easy IAP/payments. If I had to jump into an external payment system for a 0,99€ payment…no thanks.

It’s also dead easy to deal with your kids’ payments, restore purchases, get refunds, use gift cards etc.

AppStore is great, despite a few vocal devs (like starving Epic…) whining, or the occasional crazy app review decision.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
This is a horrible example since the average user can’t sideload anything at the moment.
A lot of attention is shined on side loading yet none on Apple own AppStore policy that will not permit or approve certain apps categories, forget the financial cut as a developer has to pay a fee for their app to even be submitted let alone approved. The AppStore financial cut should take into account volume of sales and cost where it’s fluid rather than of your make under a million or not in sales per annum.

Reactions: Stunning_Sense4712

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
This will probably only exist on paper just like GDPR is not really enforced for big players yet the average small store next door is getting fined for using Google Font on their website. Typical.

I ran a US based website and had to comply with GDPR, and even had a request come in to be erased. It's real, and a thing. What I don't understand (actually I do) is why it's not a thing in this country.

I mean, how many corporate email lists have people asked to be removed from to only be added back in at some point, or had the request completely ignored. Like I unsubscribed from a bunch of lists I was getting junk from, and a couple of them have started sending me messages again. So I unsubscribe, and they come back. Being able to tell a stupid brain dead jerk company I want ALL of my data removed from ALL of your systems is needed!! You can't trust most of them farther than you can kick them! Having a 'This is MY data and you can't have it anymore!!' is a GOOD THING!

Especially with the 'known bad guys' who poke their nose in everything you do (FB?)...

Onelifenofear

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2019
London
How do you force a company to make iMessage open? Are they going to force Facebook to open WhatsApp?
Good news!!! Apple advertises the Mac as secure yet has open app stores, side loading AKA installing whatever you want. What makes the iphone so different? NOBODY is forcing you to do these on your phone if you don’t want to.

Why should they? They invited the iPhone and the App Store. You want it the other way then off you go to the Wild West that is Android.

Reactions: Kal Madda
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.