Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WiiDSmoker

Suspended
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Keep getting this same tired argument over and over again. It will be software companies forcing people to use other stores, by only offering their apps there, so they can ignore Apple’s safeguards, or get more money (you… you don’t actually expect they’re going to lower their prices, do you?).
The “what if” argument is tired.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Ok, so supposedly second blow.
I am the few who believes free market is dead and government intervention is required to restore the functionality of a market. Hoping bad player to be priced out is no longer applicable when business reaches a certain level.

Now, whether the intervention is good or bad needs time to tell. But no intervention is bad. I don’t like the idea megacorps mandating what we do on a daily basis through various means.

Before you guys scream “you have a choice”, let me introduce you to this: choice can be eliminated by pricing out smaller but more competitive players via those bigger players. Eventually, you will end up with monopoly (no choice) or duopoly (Phantom of choice). Look no further than mobileOS marketshare And see how much linux takes in the mobile market right now.

Apple can technically wait until 2025 to release an iPhone with USB-C if they want, as long as the 2024 one is released before the deadline [grandfathered in].

But way to deflect your post. Doesn’t work on me.
Don't think Apple is going to wait till 2025 to release an iPhone with USB-C. We are getting it next year. Not even trying to deflect my own post.

Not sure where that came from.. well, I hope you have a nice day. It's a beautiful world we live in & It's a beautiful day. :)

WiiDSmoker

Suspended
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Don't think Apple is going to wait till 2025 to release an iPhone with USB-C.

We are getting it next year. Not even trying to deflect my own post. Not sure where that came from.. well, I hope you have a nice day. It's a beautiful world we live in & It's a beautiful day. :)

Okay…..but your initial “feeling” about Apple/EU in this very thread is categorically wrong. Enjoy your day :)

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
It’s like I’m living in some bizarro world reading these comments that are biasly ignoring the fact that Apple keeps MacOS secure while allowing other app stores and applications to be installed w/o their permission.
IMO, security is just a red herring for Apple to maintain the hardware exclusivity that the software provides. However, I don't like that Apple, using fair and nominally consistent developer rules, is being punished for creating a strong and successful business. This was a business that was created from nothing, in a competitive environment, where no one thought they would be successful.
These types of changes portend poorly for the state of business.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
The EU is what the US used to be. Securing freedom for its people. This is really the only "country" you can rely on at the moment, globally speaking.
The EU crushed its own industries under crippling moronic regulations, and, having done that, now seeks to constantly rent-seek and crush American industries because they have nothing home-grown that can compete.

WiiDSmoker

Suspended
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
IMO, security is just a red herring for Apple to maintain the hardware exclusivity that the software provides. However, I don't like that Apple, using fair and nominally consistent developer rules, is being punished for creating a strong and successful business. This was a business that was created from nothing, in a competitive environment, where no one thought they would be successful.
These types of changes portend poorly for the state of business.

I agree that Apple created all of this, but that was long ago and now that power has grown into a huge controlling aspect. Microsoft was punished many moons ago for IE inside Windows; AppStore is no different now.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
I'd be very worried about 'iMessage' interoperability making it easier for governments to spy on messages. You likely can't have full E2E encryption if the messages need to get passed to another platform.

Most definitely a goal of this.

Contrary to an earlier poster, the EU only has their own power as a concern. They don't care about the peasants.

Koudspeel

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2013
This is great news! This'll force Apple to keep innovating and we as customers get to benefit!

Another benefit: iOS will be as secure as macOS, and we get to sideload otherwise censored/blocked apps by Apple or governments. It was starting to look like a dictatorship..

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Keep getting this same tired argument over and over again. It will be software companies forcing people to use other stores, by only offering their apps there, so they can ignore Apple’s safeguards, or get more money (you… you don’t actually expect they’re going to lower their prices, do you?).
Can you name one app so appealing that you would get it even if the developer won't place it on the AppStore? Facebook?🤣🤣🤣 They already by pass Apple's safeguards. Fortnite?🤔 Well, that might happen, because of bad blood between Apple and Epic.☹️ An emulation software? Apple doesn't allow those on the AppStore, so moot point.

If Apple allowed emulators on the AppStore, I'm sure few would be interested in using a 3rd party appstore. Hail, there are more 3rd party appstores on Android than you can shake a Pixel 7 at, but I still only use the PlayStore. I only sideload stuff Google won't allow on the PlayStore.

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
Sounds pretty complicated waters for Apple to navigate.

But like people tell developers who push back on Apple‘s App Store cut….if you don‘t like it create your own country and do what you want.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2012
EU will force in their stupidity to lose Apple. EU kind remind that you are not the most profitable market compared to China and USA
Stop making stupid laws that will foreign big tech and jobs
You really think a company like Apple will just renounce on a market of nearly half a billion people?

The EU really is steering the world in many ways, it's just that they do it in a subtle, soft-power manner without talking too much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.