Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brucku

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2003

No, Mr. Gates. Not all Windows users are dullards and klutzes, but there are a few notable ones around.

Dear Mr. Gates it's your Operating System that's a moron. Not your users. He doesn't even understand the ads. !!!:)

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Even for little things... like if you press caps lock while typing in a password box on OS X, you get a little caps lock symbol in the box to warn you. In Windows, you get a pop-up that you have to click to make go away.

They did fix that in Vista. They now have the symbol also. Microsoft. :rolleyes:

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Rofl

"security guys break the Mac every single day." - Bill Gates

Well ... I'm sure they do, at least they have to try (unless he is talking about ACTUALLY breaking them). Unlike Windows, when all you have to do to get compromised is three steps ...
1. Plug In Power
2. Plug in Network Cable
3. Press the On Button

INSTANT COMPROMISE ... All I see here is Bill being pissed that he stole the wrong thing back in the 70's. See Bill? Patience is a virtue.

UKFletch

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2007
Coventry UK
As an MCSE, an early Vista adopter, and soon to be Mac owner, I can say, with great authority...

Thats the most accurate advert for Vista I have so far seen!

Long live :apple:

PS. they don't take your mcse away if you switch do they? I make too much money fixing Uncle Bills OS.

PineAPPLE

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2006
Script

The first conversations are quite tough for non-native English speakers like me. Is there somebody who can write those for me please? :rolleyes:

Mac: Hello I am a Mac.

Security:
Mac has issued a salutation, cancel or allow?

PC:
Allow. And I am PC.

Security:
You are returning Mac's salutation, cancel or allow?

PC: Allow.

Mac: What's this?

Security: Mac is asking question, cancel or allow?

PC: Allow. He is part of vista my new operating system. PCs have a lot of security problems so, he asks me to authorize pretty much anything I do.

Security:
You are pointing out Vista's flaws, cancel or allow?

PC:
Allow! I could turn him off but then he would not give me any warnings at all and that defeats the purpose of it.

Security:
You are coming to a sad realization, cancel or allow?

PC:
Allow...

:D I am too a non native english speaker. You better work on it!

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
Haha! What a way to start off the day, I just saw it on Apple's Switch website. Not the best one IMO, but its pretty sweet. Still chuckling :D
I take that back. This is truly the best one yet. Not only is it accurate, its pretty doggone good too. I swear it'll keep me laughing all day :D

And apparently its now called the 'Get-a-Mac' website :rolleyes:

hongjuny

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2005
Pittsburgh
Security: Mac has issued a salutation, cancel or allow?

Thank you so much.

But I'm still not quite sure about this part. Is he really saying "salutation"? It doesn't sound that to me.

Well, I'm spending 10+ years in the States, but... :rolleyes:

Copland

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
Rochester, NY
My first thought on Gates' comment about hackers breaking macs everyday made me think of Zoolander - "The files are IN the computer!"
Yeah, that's my favorite scene in the movie.

I too like this commercial. Even in XP (I haven't used Vista yet, I'm a bit afraid), it's always giving you this useless information. When you plug in a peripheral, it's like "You just plugged in a device. You just plugged in a mouse. You just plugged in the Microsoft 2-button Standard Mouse. Your new device is installed and ready to use".
On the mac, it assumes that since you were the one who plugged it in, you should expect it to work, whereas the windows machines assume that you think it won't work and assures you that it is working.

Those little balloons are so annoying.

brucku

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2003
Security: Mac has issued a salutation, cancel or allow?

Thank you so much.

But I'm still not quite sure about this part. Is he really saying "salutation"? It doesn't sound that to me.

Well, I'm spending 10+ years in the States, but... :rolleyes:

It has been transcribed correctly, he is saying "salutation"

xDANx

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2003
Montreal, QC
Just watching CBS and saw a new Get a Mac ad!
Hands down the funniest yet IMO.

FBI agent looking dude standing behind Mac

FBI looking dude says "cancel or allow" after every comment form Mac or PC.
PC says that its the new security for Vista...
"Your coming to a sad realization, cancel or allow?"
PC: "Allow..."

hope its online soon!

this is the first one where i've actually laughed out loud...!

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
It´s kind of amusing, but I don´t think it´s a good ad.
Maybe I´m just not used to it as this kind of negative advertising is restricted in Norway.
I prefere it when companies don´t slag off the competition, but focuses on their own merits

somerled

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2007
I think Apple should advertise it's OS instead of attacking windows. I really love these adds, but the averge PC user don't even understand them. Worst, Apple had a long lead before Vista came up to show people what OSX is all about. But now, I think, pc user will tend to upgrade instead of looking for alternatives.

trust me, if a pc user has used vista already, they'll understand the latest ad. I just recently converted to Macs, and just prior I was running the rc2 of Vista. Until I figured out where to turn off all the "protection" I was ready to throw the whole thing out based on the security system constantly asking me for my administrator password. I apparently complained about it enough that my wife, who has never used vista, got the commercial.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
Even in XP (I haven't used Vista yet, I'm a bit afraid), it's always giving you this useless information. [...] Those little balloons are so annoying.

Yeah ... but it's less the stupid, annoying pop-ups and speech balloons, than the fact that you will never, ever figure out how to turn many of them off.

How about this one? Has your Windows PC started producing an annoying pop-up balloon from the task bar every single time it successfully sends a document to the printer?

No problem! All you have to do to turn it off is this:

Open Settings -> Printers and Faxes from the Start Menu

Now ... and this is the important bit ... right click in some white space in the Printers & Faxes window, well away from any printer icons.

Select 'Server Properties' from the contextual menu. Click on the 'Advanced' tab.

Now, uncheck "Show informational notifications for network printers".

And you're done. How easy and intuitive was that? So easy that I had to get a friend of mine who's a Windows developer to tell me how to do it.

(And what was the first language of the person who decided "informational notifications" was a better term than "alerts"?)

And people just don't seem to understand that it's the sum total of all these little annoyances that add up to the dismal user experience of Windows.

Cheers!

Jim

(Mac user for 13 years. Just persuaded a friend of mine to get an iMac and am presently enjoying watching his little face light up everytime he discovers another thing that just works.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.