Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Hmmmmmm......Even though I really really really want to see new iBooks tomorrow, these types of rumors actually lower my expectations. Such outlandish predictions like a back lit keyboard make me think this is a joke-an April Fool's joke.

Would Kodawarisan do an April Fool's joke like that? How reputable are they?

Foucault

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2002
Pasadena, CA
I don't think so. New iPod is more likely than a new iBook. iBooks are still plentiful in the supply department, while iPods are scarce.

t^3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
It's a good thing this is on Page 2 because I really doubt that there will be iBooks that have a clock speed faster than the 12" pBook and backlit kb's, which aren't on the 12" pBooks, unless the 12" pBooks are updated tomorrow too, which is even more unlikely.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
not sure if japan celebrates April Fools....

arn

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
Yeah, Apple is really going to release a 1 Ghz iBook when the 12" Powerbook only runs at 867 mhz and costs 50% more. That would make a lot of business sense. I smell April Fools.

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
babelfish he say:
"As for the Applo, it seems that American time 1st morning announces the new iBook series o'clock of 9. According to information, the new flat white iBook, when PowercPc G3/1ghz loading, also the back light keyboard which is adopted for the PowerBook G4 is equipped in the superior type, is thing. Furthermore, the apple mark it seems that can select as much as 6 color types due to the BTO. "

hmmm 6 color types?

i_b_joshua

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by Foucault
I don't think so. New iPod is more likely than a new iBook. iBooks are still plentiful in the supply department, while iPods are scarce.

so we'll have 1 GHZ ipods in 6 colors? :D

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by macrumors12345
Yeah, Apple is really going to release a 1 Ghz iBook when the 12" Powerbook only runs at 867 mhz and costs 50% more. That would make a lot of business sense. I smell April Fools.

There have been occations when the ibook clock speed was faster than the powerbooks...

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
For what its worth

I had recently read that Apple put off an announcement that was invite only to the press the past 2 weeks because of Political issues/War issues. Could be just a catch up of what was to be released a few weeks back.
Also, NAB is very soon. I would suspect any SOUND/MUSIC related hardware/software would be released/anniunced then.
As for this rumors. 6 colors seems rather off. I think the colors for the iMac helped get some attention, but I thinks its a fad past its prime and wholly not needed to sell laptops. Of course a 1 Gig G3 with L2 and good video accel would be a rather nice addition to the 'year of the laptop'.

My guess is that Apple is a bit overdue on release announcements due to geo-political issues and has a fedw ready to go over the next weeks.

TheInevitable

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2002
Arizona
Originally posted by wsteineker
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. I really think this is a joke. Seriously, people. Six colors? Come on... :)

I know. Like Apple's really going to make 6 colors! I can see probably 2 colors. MAYBE 4 colors, but definetly not 6 colors.

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
Talk

Well, at least the rumor gives us something to talk about. The string of weekly updates not so very long ago has made this past little while very tedious.

This wasn't a rumor for clamshell ibooks... was it? ;)

t^3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
Hmm...only one occasion I can think of where all iBooks were faster than the low-end pBook (for the 5 months after the dual USB iBook's intro, the iBook was at 500, and the pBook was at 400/500). I guess the iBook also did get a combo drive, albeit tray-loading, before the pBooks got one, so it's still possible...

DrGonzo

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2003
how about...

How about instead of a new ibook, we see the 15" PB. That I would like to see and buy :)

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Sounds nice though....but i dont think so

If a new ibook in 6 different colors was on its way even at 1ghz... wow i'd go for one and sell my powerbook g4 and just keep an ibook and get a powermac too. But come on, i don't thiiiiink so, at least something was stirred up to come up with this April Fools style joke, which we'll just find out about tomorrow like usual...:confused:

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Maybe it's just the 14", which hasn't been that big of a seller... And changing colors on the iBook should be very easy, just put a little mylar 'skin' inside the clear case. I think they should let users do their own, FTM.

BeigeUser

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Real Translation

Kodawarisan has a very bad track record in terms of rumors. That being said, here is an accurate translation of the article:

It seems that Apple will release the new ibook series at 9 a.m. on the 1st (of April) U.S. time. According to the information that I gathered, the matte white-colored ibook will be use the 1GHz PowerPC G3 and the most expensive model will have the backlit keyboard used on the Powerbook G4's. Also, the Apple Logo can be ordered in 6 different colors BTO.

edit: Actually, the original wording of the last sentence is a bit vague. There is a possibility that the author meant that the ibook has a BTO 6-color Apple logo.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
That translation is a little different. What if (wild speculation alert) the Apple logo changes colors through "Dynamic Ornamental Appearance." But as I said, that's completely wild speculation. :p

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
oh... :( I'd be sooo excited if this were true, but we haven't heard any rumors even vaugely along these lines. There's no way this is true, but it would be the best release I could hope for...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.