Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sedarby

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
Dallas, TX
Re: Real Translation

Originally posted by BeigeUser
Kodawarisan has a very bad track record in terms of rumors. That being said, here is an accurate translation of the article:

It seems that Apple will release the new ibook series at 9 a.m. on the 1st (of April) U.S. time. According to the information that I gathered, the matte white-colored ibook will be use the 1GHz PowerPC G3 and the most expensive model will have the backlit keyboard used on the Powerbook G4's. Also, the Apple Logo can be ordered in 6 different colors BTO.

edit: Actually, the original wording of the last sentence is a bit vague. There is a possibility that the author meant that the ibook has a BTO 6-color Apple logo.

To which I must ask, why in the world would anyone care what the logo looks like. Is anyone really going to pay for a multi-colored logo?

Anyway, my money is on no iBook tomorrow. I agree that is probably just a joke. However, if it does happen I will be pleasantly surprised.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
I think, generally speaking, most of us will be pleasantly surprised if Apple releases new iBooks tomorrow, even if these specs are wrong.

I've been saving up for months now, and am hesitant to buy an iBook because I'm convinced new ones are coming soon. I didn't think this soon, but the sooner the better!

EponymousCow

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2003
iBook Availablity

I'd be very surprised if there was an update tomorrow. If you go put a 12" or 14" iBook in your shopping cart at the Apple store right now, it will tell you it is available for same day shipping.

Maybe a new 14" that slots in above the existing ones at a higher price. Apple did just lower the price of the 14". Maybe a $100-150 over the price of the current 14" with bluetooth and Airport extreme available? We know IBM makes a 1GHZ PPC 750FX. It could go for the market that thinks a 12" screen is too small and the 15" PB is too expensive.

I doubt it though.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
I wouldn't think this was a bs rumor if they didn't mention a 6-color apple logo or available in 6 colors. And I would not be suprised to see a 1ghz ibook, considering they are due for Airport Extreme anyways. But all this nonsense pretty much smells of a joke.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
I actually think Apple will bring the iBook to 1GHz G3 power. They'll have to justify the AlBook's cost with its G4.

I also would really like it if Apple brought back a color scheme in its products. Six colors does sound like a little much, but let's not forget the Five-Flavor "Lifesavers" iMacs.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
aaah, the suspense is killing me now!! Why'd they have to go and get my hopes up with a rumor that is sure to be false??

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
From PowerBook central.com:

$50 off new iBooks for a limited time
Sunday, March 30 2003 @ 12:14 PM CT | Article Link
Amazon.com has all three iBook models discounted right now by as much as $50. Here is the breakdown:

- 14" iBook/Combo: $1444
- 12" iBook/Combo: $1244
- 12" iBook/CD: $944.30

As with PowerBooks (see previous news article), these are the lowest prices we've seen from any Apple authorized internet/catalog reseller. Better act now, because these prices probably won't last long. In addition to the discounted prices, Amazon is including a free Lexar Media 64 MB JumpDrive portable USB flash drive (code PCUSBDRVBNDL -- expires on March 31st) or Logitech Cordless Access Duo and Move2Mac software (code APPLSWTCBNDL -- expires March 30th).

Does Amazon know something we don't?

avus

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2002
Re: Real Translation

Kodawarisan has a very bad track record in terms of rumors. That being said, here is an accurate translation of the article:

It seems that Apple will release the new ibook series at 9 a.m. on the 1st (of April) U.S. time. According to the information that I gathered, the matte white-colored ibook will be use the 1GHz PowerPC G3 and the most expensive model will have the backlit keyboard used on the Powerbook G4's. Also, the Apple Logo can be ordered in 6 different colors BTO.

edit: Actually, the original wording of the last sentence is a bit vague. There is a possibility that the author meant that the ibook has a BTO 6-color Apple logo.

There is nothing vague about what Kodawarisan claims. It said that the 6-color logo can be ordered as BTO option - they never said 6 different colors. Their claim is that Apple will bring back the old-style multi-color Apple logo.

I know everything in Kodawarisan hasn't been translated into English, but they did predict a new notebook that has a metal casing and is smaller than the current iBook last year - which turned out to be the Powerbook 12-inch. Therefore I wouldn't dismiss their claim out right like some of you.

Shaktai

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
Puget Sound
There isn't that much price difference between a top end iBook and the 12" Powerbook.

A 14" iBook with a 1ghz G3 and a less powerful GPU (mobility Radeon 7500 vs GForce 4 420go) plus larger size appeals to a different audience then the 12" PowerBook. As a result, one would not necessarily hurt the sales of the other.

If you need the faster GPU, and Altivec capabilities, plus smaller size, you will go with the Powerbook. If you don't need those capabilities, but prefer more raw CPU capability, then you might go for the iBook. If you need the G4 capabilities at faster speed, then your option is the larger Powerbooks (at higher cost). And let's not forget the difference in system bus speed.

As to the colored Apple logo, it would be a simple insert on a BTO, if someone wanted it. Will it happen? My instinct says not yet, but then it wouldn't be the first time Apple surprised us. I would expect that if it does happen, it will be more of an incremental speed bump replacing the 700mhz and leaving the 800mhz G3 as low end.

BeigeUser

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Re: Re: Real Translation

Originally posted by avus
There is nothing vague about what Kodawarisan claims. It said that the 6-color logo can be ordered as BTO option - they never said 6 different colors. Their claim is that Apple will bring back the old-style multi-color Apple logo.

I am starting to agree with you that Kodawarisan meant 6-color logo rather than 6 logo colors. But Kodawarisan never claimed that Apple will bring back the old style multi-color Apple logo.

Regarding the questions of April Fool's: There are many people in Japan who know about the April fool's culture but very few actually say April fool's jokes.

Regarding the marketability of BTO logos: At least in Japan, some people like to customize their ibooks. You can find custom plastic lids for the ibooks at any major mac store in Tokyo. The most common is the jaguar skin and the military camoflauge cover. I'm not sure if this is a worldwide phenomena or related only to Tokyo. But I can see why Kodawarisan's Japanese site would want to note such a rumor.

ozubahn

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2003
Connecticut
The Japanese character for "color" has two meanings, the other being "lust." Perhaps Kodawarisan is simply referring to six BTO options, each of which inspires a different type of lust. :)

crzyhanko

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2003
I don't remember from seeing disassembled iBooks how much space there is, but am I the only one that thinks different colored LEDs behind the apple logo would be a neat way to change its color? I seem to remember that on the TiBook at least, the apple is illuminated from the screen light. I don't know if it is similar on the iBook. But a little shielding and some power should allow for LEDs that could be selected some how from software. Probably more work than it is worth though, but as the reference earlier to their patent suggests, they do have some sort of research into changing the lighting on things for decorative purposes.

anyway, i think it is a cool idea, but probably more so if you're one of the few with a mod and spiffy colors.

avus

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Real Translation

I am starting to agree with you that Kodawarisan meant 6-color logo rather than 6 logo colors. But Kodawarisan never claimed that Apple will bring back the old style multi-color Apple logo.

Regarding the questions of April Fool's: There are many people in Japan who know about the April fool's culture but very few actually say April fool's jokes.

But what else does "6-color logo" imply, other than the classic multi-colored Apple logo?

Anyway, I now believe that this is their April Fools joke, because I noticed the title of the original post (in translation) as:

¡ Brand New!? iBook/1Ghz

We shouldn't take anything too seriously when someone put an emphasis on the title with "!?," right?:)

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
apple can go and smack themselves for all i care, and this definitely seems like a joke, but GOD, tomorrow is tuesday, and i am sick of these boring tuesdays. they need to release SOMETHING, for crying out loud.

personally, though, i think iPods are more likely.

the funny thing about that kodwarisan report is how precipitated it is. i mean, if it were really a joke, it seems like they sould have the sensibility to make it seem more realistic. but perhaps that would make the payoff less funny.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I think this is an April Fools Joke. These are pretty rare in Japan but not unknown. As Kodawari-san is in touch with Americans he could easily have picked up this idea. I think the idea of a revival of the six-color logo is a give-away. No way that is coming back, much as I like it.

The Japan Times used to run an April Fools Article (maybe they still do). I recall one from not longer after Tokyo Dome was built. The article claimed that it had been discovered that the dome was built in the wrong place and now sat partially (about one meter) on the neighbors property. They listed two or three outlandish schemes for moving the dome. One was to employ traditional Japanese hard work and have a large number of workers in a chain manually disassemble the dome and reassemble shifted over by one meter. Another was to use a blimp to float the dome over one meter. In a follow up story a few days later they revealed that the officials in charge of the dome went into a panic when they read the article and made great efforts trying to find out why the dome was in the wrong place and who was in charge of moving it back. They were not amused to learn it was a joke.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Originally posted by arn
not sure if japan celebrates April Fools....

arn

They do in Korea, although not with as much vigor as Westerners seem to have an April 1st. Quite possible that they do over there, too.

Squire

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I don't know if they would do this because if you look at some of the benchmarks right now the iBook 800 G3 is staying right with the Powerbook 867 G4. In MOST tasks I think a 1Ghz 750fx would outrun an 867Mhz G4. Then why would you pay more for the 12" Powerbook? It seems to me that some people have also said the iBook has a better video card the the current 12" Powerbook. If the iBook was a 1Ghz and was much lower price then the Powerbook...what would be the selling point? The available SuperDrive? Personally I would LOVE a 1Ghz G3 iBook, it would be a great little computer!

avus

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2002
Originally posted by Squire
Quite possible that they do over there, too.

Yahoo! Japan posted a page called "Yahoo! Japan Memories Encounter" - a service to retrieve memory, and then display it on computer monitors. They posted this picture of an USB device that transfers signals called "Memory Catcher."

catcher.jpg

I also found this URL (warning: Japanese content only), so I am sure that they do celebrate it "over there":rolleyes:

http://www.aprilfool.jp/index.html

abdul

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2003
East Midlands, UK

It seems that Apple will release the new ibook series at 9 a.m. on the 1st (of April) U.S. time. According to the information that I gathered, .

maybe someone is playinmg a april fools joke on them, knowing they were going to publish it

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Assuming they mean 9 a.m. Pacific Time, we still have 20 minutes before we can let this go completely.

I'd like to see this released, but I really do doubt it. April Fools, everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.