Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iconrad

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2002
Canonsburg, PA
It's true. If you want to believe me. I saw one of the commercials on Comedy Central today around 3:00 3:30 eastrin standerd time.

It wasn't as cool as the other apple commercials of the past few years but the idea has potential.

PeteyKohut

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2002
Earth
I was watching VH1's 25 Greatest Commercials of All Time and I saw the new iPod commercial. Also, Apple's 1984 commercial was featured in this special from what I have heard. I started watching at #15 of 25 and I didn't see it, so they must have ranked it lower than 15. Idiots!!!

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by iconrad
It wasn't as cool as the other apple commercials of the past few years but the idea has potential.
I think it's well done for what it is. They're definitely promoting the minimalist cool. My roomate, an architect who uses a PC, thought it was a quality commercial and we started talking about the iPod. (I don't mean to apply by this anecdote that this commercial will be successful.)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by PeteyKohut
I was watching VH1's 25 Greatest Commercials of All Time and I saw the new iPod commercial. Also, Apple's 1984 commercial was featured in this special from what I have heard. I started watching at #15 of 25 and I didn't see it, so they must have ranked it lower than 15. Idiots!!!

VH1 put a commercial that's been out for one day into a short list of the all-time best ads?

or do you mean you saw the commercial during a break in the show?

i agree that 1984 should have been higher, it did start the superbowl ad competition that we all know and love...

edit: by cosmic coincidence i just saw it... very very good, clearly targeting a specific group of people that has high potential for sales but low current penetration. first time they've advertised a product correctly in several years...

pnw

Mosco

macrumors regular
May 26, 2002
I also saw the news tv ads. Dancing to the color background to the song Hey mama by the black eyed peas i think. Not 100% sure, i can't remember now.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Saw one during "The West Wing" tonight - I'd give it mixed reviews (although I like the campaign itself). The print ads show the ipod clearly, but in video, it's moving around too much for people to get a good look. And my other issue is that the color kept flipping between the print-ad hues, instead of having a commercial that was all purple/black/white, or magenta/black/white, or green/black/white.

Otherwise, slick.

jer2665

macrumors regular
i dont get what's up with companies trying to make "urban" commercials. I'm not racist at all, and dont' mean this as a racist comment, but look at cokes adds (camron and maya) and the new mcdonalds adds, and now this one. i just dont quite get why that's the big market to push it to now adays. again, dont flame me or get pissed saying stuff about me, think about the commercials and you'll understand what i mean.

edited: added "urban" to make me sound like less of a racist moron :p

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Re: Hey Mama

Originally posted by mustang_dvs
10:35pm EDT commercial break during "Law & Order" -- definitely "Hey Mama" by Black Eyed Peas.

Word to the wise: Get that off your iDisk. I speak from experience. ;)

I dunno if Arn is willing to take it, but just get it off soon, before Apple comes knocking.

P.S. Good job capturing it. :D

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Originally posted by jer2665
i dont get what's up with companies trying to make "black" commercials, for lack of a better term. I'm not racist at all, and dont' mean this as a racist comment, but look at cokes adds (camron and maya) and the new mcdonalds adds, and now this one. i just dont quite get why that's the big market to push it to now adays. again, dont flame me or get pissed saying stuff about me, think about the commercials and you'll understand what i mean.

Hip-hop and 'black' culture are popular with young people of all ethnic backgrounds. Besides, aren't there enough "white" comercials on tv anyway?

PS - I really like the new ad. Very attention-getting yet no 'hard sell.' Very Apple. :)

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
Originally posted by paulwhannel
VH1 put a commercial that's been out for one day into a short list of the all-time best ads?

or do you mean you saw the commercial during a break in the show?

i agree that 1984 should have been higher, it did start the superbowl ad competition that we all know and love...

pnw

It was named the best commercial of all time in some ranking by madison ave.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Saw it during Angel.

Pretty slick brand-awareness ads. The color is more striking than Apple White. I wouldn't use something so simple to advertise computers, but for iPods I think they'll work well.

i_am_a_cow

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2001
i dont get what's up with companies trying to make "black" commercials, for lack of a better term. I'm not racist at all, and dont' mean this as a racist comment, but look at cokes adds (camron and maya) and the new mcdonalds adds, and now this one. i just dont quite get why that's the big market to push it to now adays. again, dont flame me or get pissed saying stuff about me, think about the commercials and you'll understand what i mean.

OK. I can tell that you live in the suburbs/small pop./country. May I ask you what type of music they play at your schools dances (if you're in highschool). This is very much a stereotype. Where have you been? Race isn't an issue of music anymore. I don't see how that commercial is aimed towards black people at all. In cities, it really doesn't matter any more what color you are. You can listen to any type of music. And how do you know that those people are all black? They are silhouetted.

Those "black" commercials you speak of appeal to white city people and black city people. Honestly, why do you call these commercials with urban culture in them "black" commercials?

Sorry don't mean to sound angry, I just feel that you are very uninformed. :rolleyes:

stoid

macrumors 601
The ad is SO APPLE. It's simple and obvious. A beginner can understand and use it. I love it, and am becoming more fired up about Apple's future. They are a cool company, and that scares the geek wintel world. They know that if Apple takes over (not going to happen soon) that the IT industry will have to be cut in half, and it's all about job security. Which comps should we buy?? Windows!!! We can keep our IT job then!!!

edit: could this possibly be another sign of Apple gearing up for an imminent Dark iTMS release (iTMS for Windows)?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I'm not a big fan of those ads when seen as still images, but that commercial is really really cool. I think it grabs people and shows the product in just the right balance. Well done.

tRr

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
Whoops, never knew it was already posted :eek:

I really like it though, very stylish, I've showed it to most of my friends (around 18 years old) and its getting thumbs up!

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
I saw it during Angel as well, on the WB. I wasn't a big fan of the add style in the Macworld, or on their site, but it looked much better in motion, I think. Definitely slick and attention-getting!

:)

Alia

sXe

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2003
it could be better. i think they could've worked a bit more on some of the sihoulettes...like when they show he guy's shoes, they gleam in the light, i would think that it would look better in plain black...but then it might look cartoony...oh well, it looks good. that's all that matters to me.

jer2665

macrumors regular
Originally posted by i_am_a_cow
OK. I can tell that you live in the suburbs/small pop./country. May I ask you what type of music they play at your schools dances (if you're in highschool). This is very much a stereotype. Where have you been? Race isn't an issue of music anymore. I don't see how that commercial is aimed towards black people at all. In cities, it really doesn't matter any more what color you are. You can listen to any type of music. And how do you know that those people are all black? They are silhouetted.

Those "black" commercials you speak of appeal to white city people and black city people. Honestly, why do you call these commercials with urban culture in them "black" commercials?

Sorry don't mean to sound angry, I just feel that you are very uninformed. :rolleyes:

hah, there ya go. urban, that was the word i couldn't think of when i wrote that. I didn't mean to sound like some unintellegent racist. but anyway, first off, i didn't say it was aimed at black people, yes..it is a stereotype, but i don't see a ton of black people at my hard rock concerts, or country bars. Hip hop started off big in black culture right? and the dancing and stuff to it. I never said it was aimed at any one ethnicity. But I am saying how there is a big surge in "urban ads" as far as dancing to hip hop, hip hop music, rapping, all that stuff.

TheFish

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2003
The south, the deep south

yeah i know what you mean, i guess because all the kids like thier raps.

Im not really a fan of rap but i have to admit, it is pretty catchy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.