Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
I'm sorry, but I guess I'm in the minority here. All I can say is Blech. A bunch of people gyrating around is a good ad? I guess I must be getting old.

Regards,
Gus

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
Originally posted by jer2665
i dont get what's up with companies trying to make "black" commercials, for lack of a better term.

I don't think they did this on purpose. I think there will be other commercials with different people dancing. Its just for the music that they used, they couldn't find any non ethnic people that could dance that good. I mean, have you seen the buymusic.com ads? :D :D :D

jer2665

macrumors regular
Originally posted by reyesmac
I don't think they did this on purpose. I think there will be other commercials with different people dancing. Its just for the music that they used, they couldn't find any non ethnic people that could dance that good. I mean, have you seen the buymusic.com ads? :D :D :D

ya know, that could make this ad campaign even better. here's the rap one. then have the metal/hard rock one people moshing and head banging. then the country one with people line dancing, then the techno with people dropping e and twirling around stupid glowsticks :D

but the different genres in this same style would be cool, imo.

coolsoldier

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
The 909
I like it -- although it's kinda out of character for an apple ad. Oh well.

As for the comment about "black" music, I have two points:

a) It's more like "urban" than "black". Here in Albuquerque, we have a 2% black population, and that kind of music is still all over the inner city. The audience has nothing to do with race (although you can't argue that the artists are racially balanced ;) )

b) Advertisers are generally still using that music to market to suburban audiences. The suburbs/outskirts of cities have more big spenders. The thing is that for some reason urban styles have a "coolness" factor to them that (according to advertising industry surveys) appeals to suburban audiences as well as urban audiences. I don't expect to see iPods in the inner city any time soon :) .

MhzDoesMatter

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
The same consumers that subscribe to the "urban"music genre are also the major purchasers of designer brand goods simply for the sake of status and exclusivity. Since both are associated with Apple, why wouldn't one of their ads target that audience?

-Hertz

ennerseed

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2002
OH *****

I just saw the new ad on Comedy Central! ..... UH UH UH DAM! APPLE! Thats what I am talking about. Sock it to em....... ........nice.

This has to be one of the best commercials Apple has done to get to a younger hipper group. And although the iPod fits VERY well..
It IS about time to get this kind of advertising out for Mac OS X!

Cheers!

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Originally posted by MhzDoesMatter
The same consumers that subscribe to the "urban"music genre are also the major purchasers of designer brand goods simply for the sake of status and exclusivity. -Hertz

Oh really? And people who listen to other kinds of music don't buy into all of the 'designer brand goods' hype? :rolleyes:

Apple is simply trying to appeal to a younger demographic with this ad.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
This is one hell of an ad. Apple has it's marketing on track for this iPod campaign. It nails the hip youth Apple is having such great success with presently. The song, dancing, and of course colors all contribute to a very effective commercial.

Of course I am not in marketing, so you are welcome to destroy my arguement. I guess I'm young, I listen to rap music, and like the commercial. I also happen to be in the market for an iPod.

BTW, I want to meet the girl with the green background (yes, simply based on her silloutte). Her moves are hot! (especially in the last green background frame...those hips!!):cool:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I think it's a great ad.

Apple's riding it's "cool" image... which is a good thing.

Now, this might date and also show much of a geek I am... but i'm reminded of "State of the Art" by SpaceBalls. An Amiga demo.

Anyone? anyone...?

arn

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
i dont get what's up with companies trying to make "urban" commercials.

I think the popularity of urban music has been exploding lately. All types of young people listen to urban music, there are nice beats and unique phrases that produce addictive listening.

Of course a lot (not all) of the lyrics and messages behind the music are very disturbing, but if I guess if you want to rot your brain, that's your problem. (My $0.02)

Of course, I liked the ad, very apple in my opinion.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
But I am saying how there is a big surge in "urban ads" as far as dancing to hip hop, hip hop music, rapping, all that stuff.

Maybe by "urban" you really mean "urbane?" Truth is, there is not much of the cutting-edge coming from middle America. Suburban culture is, practically by definition, bland, if it is existent as a discernable entity at all. Urban culture, which has unfortunately become a rather racist euphemism for "black," is more vital and vibrant because it often stems from mixing and co-mingling of cultures, races and ethnicities, tastes, modes of expression, etc. Face it, strip malls and picket fences are not cool. A soccer mom holding an iPod won't work in a commercial, no matter how much she says she loves her new Apple product.

White suburban teenagers like rap today for the same reason that teenagers in the 50s liked rock n' roll -- because it was rebellious. Both rap and rock n' roll started as black musical expressions, gaining popularity among whites because they speak/spoke to some of the alienation and tensions even white Americans feel/felt in society. As a minority culture, Black culture is by definition counter-culture, and teenagers like to rebel. Whites often co-opt those cultural expressions to capitalize on that sentiment. Just look at the popularity of Elvis and Eminem among white teenagers.

This is getting off topic, though. I like the new iPod ad, and didn't once think to myself that it was an "urban" add (read: "black"). It's hip, trendy, and urbane.

RStone

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2003
As much as I love the ad, I have to say it is extremely vague and confusing for someone who has no idea what an iPod is.

I don't understand why they couldn't have slipped in the word "Apple" at the end with the logo, or maybe the web site address.

I personally love it, but I don't think they made it clear enough to people what they're trying to sell. People dancing around with some white thing connected to their ears, followed by the word iPod, Mac and PC, then a half-eaten apple...as much as it makes sense to us, the newbie tech users that Apple is trying to lure in will be left clueless.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by arn
i'm reminded of "State of the Art" by SpaceBalls. An Amiga demo.
It had James Bond silhouettes, right?

I've always liked those James Bond openings, although waiting for the character named "Q" to appear is still the best part of a Bond movie.

mikedman

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2001
Originally posted by Flowbee
Oh really? And people who listen to other kinds of music don't buy into all of the 'designer brand goods' hype? :rolleyes:

Apple is simply trying to appeal to a younger demographic with this ad.

Yes but if you have to target a particular youth segment the hip-hop crowd is the one to go for.

Hip Hop and expensive material things go hand in hand.... consider Bentley, Rolex, Phat Pharm, FUBU, Crystal... all high end brands that have had their moments in the spotlight thanks to association with hip-hop artists or culture.

Now consider other music "cultures"... I can't imagine Apple trying to appeal to a bunch of counter culture punks via a mainstream add campaign. The folks who will respond to a flashy add campaign are the same folks who are devoted to MTV... and lets face it MTV has been all about the hip-hop for a while now.

That being said, love the new adds. Don't underestimate the target audience... they will know its an iPod even if it is blurry. Apple has given out enough free ones at Awards Shows and Hollywood events that most kids have seen their favorite star with one at one time or another.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by RStone
I don't understand why they couldn't have slipped in the word "Apple" at the end with the logo, or maybe the web site address.
Many companies use a two-part ad campaign. They show something intriguing, without identifying much about the product, and play the ad everywhere in a blitz to get interest up. Then they add details in a second round of ads.

But Apple isn't hiding who they are, so it's not as mysterious as some first-round ad campaigns have been. I guess that's not the strategy this time.

naz

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2003
Bridgeport, CT
after seeing an iPod in 3 major Rap videos on MTV MTV2 BET

This ad is hot!

This should keep up with the Applewannabee companies and all the iPod ripoffs

reedm007

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by RStone
As much as I love the ad, I have to say it is extremely vague and confusing for someone who has no idea what an iPod is.

I personally love it, but I don't think they made it clear enough to people what they're trying to sell. People dancing around with some white thing connected to their ears, followed by the word iPod, Mac and PC, then a half-eaten apple...as much as it makes sense to us, the newbie tech users that Apple is trying to lure in will be left clueless.

Remember, the Apple logo is one of the top 10 most recognized brands in the world. At many malls where there are Apple Stores, Apple simply has the Apple logo on the mall store directory instead of the name "Apple". They're trying to establish a strong brand image like Nike has, and I think this ad is a decent step forward.

In fact, I have to say this is one of the VERY first ads I've seen Apple produce that really might resonate among high shcool/college/mid-twenties aged people. That is so great. Apple makes stuff that should appeal to those age groups enormously, but their 60s music and flowery computers really have turned a lot of that crowd off -- dismissing Apple as old person cool, not young person cool. Now with the sleek new powerbooks, G5, and, of course, the iPod, that's all good. And this ad really hits home finally.

I hope we can expect to see more youth marketing from Apple. They really have the potential to establish themselves as the ultimate in "cool" for music and technology.

cgmpowers

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2002
iTunes link...

Hey I'm just glad Apple has an iPod commercial that contains songs actually available in the iTunes store...

I can't tell you how irritating it was to scour the iTunes Music Store looking for the song used in the VW Beetle/iPod commercial and it not be there...

Christopher

p.s. Heh....I do like the new commercial!

Poobar Jones

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2003
Canada
Uh huh... That's right...

That add kicks! Simple and gets the message across. The most important thing is the 'Mac and PC' bit. I have had two friends that almost didn't buy iPods because they thought they "weren't compatible"...

Great Ad - A+

nacl99

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2003
AZ
ugh

i dont get what's up with companies trying to make "urban" commercials. I'm not racist at all, and dont' mean this as a racist comment, but look at cokes adds (camron and maya) and the new mcdonalds adds, and now this one. i just dont quite get why that's the big market to push it to now adays. again, dont flame me or get pissed saying stuff about me, think about the commercials and you'll understand what i mean.

edited: added "urban" to make me sound like less of a racist moron :p

I think "urban" as you put it is cool, because us white suburban people do not have much culture, I mean look at all the music out there, most comes from urban, or cultured people..

Also from a designers point of view the new ads are great, they maintain the simple is better message from apple, while employing a kind of rebirth of the product from what a snobby rich kid would own to something everyone can be a part of. Very thought out branding shift.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.