Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mike czech

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2002
619 SD CA
damn... it would be nice if Apple could at least get the band's name right... it's not "Black Eye Peas" it's "Black Eyed Peas"

ouch.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by arn
I think it's a great ad.

Apple's riding it's "cool" image... which is a good thing.

Now, this might date and also show much of a geek I am... but i'm reminded of "State of the Art" by SpaceBalls. An Amiga demo.

Anyone? anyone...?

arn

I know it! I know it!
I wonder if Apples next iPod ad will be in the style of "9 Fingers" ;) :D

(Amiga Power!)

jethro421

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Originally posted by coolbreeze
...BTW, I want to meet the girl with the green background (yes, simply based on her silloutte). Her moves are hot! (especially in the last green background frame...those hips!!):cool:

It's like you're inside my head. :D :D

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Sa-freakin'-weet! This is certainly an ad to catch attention even for those who mute their commercials.

High contrast, dig the colors, music feels good and highlights the iPod great.

Finally moving away from targeting the Manhattan architect in an artist loft set and are doing something that everyone can relate to.

The white iPod in the black on primary background works really well.

"Mac or PC" makes the point that I think they've failed to drive home well enough in the past.

When I first started seeing the iPod billboards, I could tell they were Apple. They just have that Apple look, even with the color background.

And I love the definition of the foreground sillouette. You can almost see each hair.

Before I watched it in motion I wouldn't have thought it could work. It's the drop shadows that make it-- give it depth.

And who made the comment about the chick on green?! Oh my! Gotta be that belt... I gotta say, I like how the accessories (belt, shoes, hip chain) aren't quite matte black.

And I dig the lip sync cut shots, too...

While the original iPod ad made it's own point, this is straight up fun without the geek chic.

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
I really like the ad, its really hip and cool. However not likeing the music it doesn't speak to me that much. Being a rock fan, I'd loke to see a very similar ad with the likes of the strokes on there, with the dudes doing more of a rock kinda thing, whether its dancing, moshing or whatever...just please no air guitar...that is not cool ;)

I think 'urban' has been targeted because itis very popular at the moment with kids of all backgrounds, not just black people, and if you look at hip-hop and rap videos its often a lot about the bling bling $$$$ image, semi naked women, bentleys, merc's, expensive jewlery, certain brands of clothes etc. A iPod fits in very well with this expensive image, and hey if it's an expensive image, it doesn't mater if it costs a lot ;)

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
...those amiga days!

the ipod-ad reminds me even of the minimalistic style of melon design.

though the silhuette-style comes originally from andy warhole done in the sixties. getting more popular in the disco-lp-covers and comics in the seventies.
remember one album-cover from the jackson-five.

after the 3d-render-overload in the 90ies, creatives saw a new trend in "going back" to simple surfaces.

.a
(chester of brainstorm, back in the days where amiga digital magazines, like our zine-magazine, were distributed on 3.5" discs by snail-mail :)

polyesterlester

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2002
Soldotna, Alaska
Way to go!

I think this ad will catch a lot of attention. Plenty of people will notice how much talent and hard work went into all the small details. And the second you see the lips singing along, it draws you in even closer. It's vector animation of epic proportions.

The second I saw the billboard/magazine ads, I had hoped Apple would come out with an animated commercial in the same vein. When it finally came out, I was blown away. I hadn't realized it would be this detailed and fluid. Way better than the vector ads VW aired a while back, showcasing Volkswagen's engineers and designers. As a professional graphic and video designer who works primarily in advertising, I stand in awe of this new iPod ad. Maybe I'm wrong, and most people won't notice all the work that went into it - but for the sake of all involved in this ad, I hope they do (and believe that many will).

And will it sell iPods? I think so.

Blaaze

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2003
yeah definitely, something like that isn't very easy to pull off. And at some points, it's not even vector art, like when it there is zoom on the shoes, you can clearly distinguish the light reflecting off of them.

But, I think this Apple ad is really cool. I'm not sure who said it, but one of the previous posters said how you really couldn't make out the iPod, and that how someone who never saw one, probably didn't know what it was.

In my opinion, I think that's the best thing about this Apple ad. Because commercials now a days, I'm saying most of them use those 30 seconds of air time to spill all the specs and facts about their product, and how wonderful it is. And it's this attempt to brainwash you. That's why marketing was and is still an important aspect of business. The more people recognize your product, they more likely will buy it regardless of smaller competitors. And the habit I get into during commercials breaks, is that I just zone out for a little bit, and when it returns back to the show, I can't remember anything I just saw.

That's where Apple's ad is completely different. It doesn't tell you anything about it. It's not going to attempt to tell you all the specs and features. It's just going to go "hey, I'm the iPod, and this is what I look like." And in light of this i-have-so-many-features-buy-me era, this is really quite refreshing. Both the visual stimulus of the colors, and the catchy up-beat audio stimulus, will definitely be attention grabbing among all the boring same old commercials. It will be ingrained into their brains and when people go into stores, and see the iPod, they will go, "Hey! I saw that on that commercial" They will be interested, and will check it out.

This ad is very well done.

iHack

macrumors regular
Originally posted by coolbreeze
This is one hell of an ad.
snip

BTW, I want to meet the girl with the green background (yes, simply based on her silloutte). Her moves are hot! (especially in the last green background frame...those hips!!):cool:
Ah, you mean this one?

Girl%20on%20green%202.jpg

Girl%20on%20green.jpg

Someone posted that it was not really clear that the ad was for the iPod. I think it is overwhelmingly clear these people are listening to the white thing.:confused: Check out the top picture especially...

M.

PS and edit: I thought these pics would show up in your browser, but I only see links. Pity. You'll just have to click them...

Wallace

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
Michigan
Can anybody help me to find more high resolution pictures of
ipod_macworld.jpg

ipod_wired.jpg

Propably in other colors. I like to have new wallpapers! ;)

Thresher

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2002
God, this commercial is HORRIBLE from a marketing perspective.

The urban music and dancing appeals to a TINY segment of the market for this device. The much larger market for it is suburban, middle class people. Maybe their kids are listening to this kind of music, but their parents (the ones buying the iPods) most assuredly are not.

I am one of those white, middle-class, suburbanites and this ad definitely turns me off.

iHack

macrumors regular
Originally posted by Thresher
God, this commercial is HORRIBLE from a marketing perspective.

The urban music and dancing appeals to a TINY segment of the market for this device. The much larger market for it is suburban, middle class people. Maybe their kids are listening to this kind of music, but their parents (the ones buying the iPods) most assuredly are not.

I am one of those white, middle-class, suburbanites and this ad definitely turns me off.

Hey, my parents are white, middle-class suburbanites and they think it's way cool (both the iPod and the ad, incl. music). BTW, they are in their 70's and we'll be celebrating their 49th anniversary next weekend. Even-though you wouldn't catch them actually listening to Black Eyed Peas, they do get the message.

If only they could unload the pictures of their grandchildren from their digicam onto the iPod (without a mac in between), they would get one.

M.

ennerseed

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Blaaze
yeah definitely, something like that isn't very easy to pull off.

take a green screen shot select the green fill with chosen color, take the inverse and fill with black.
nice looking, but not hard

airbag

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Originally posted by ennerseed
take a green screen shot select the green fill with chosen color, take the inverse and fill with black.
nice looking, but not hard

This method wouldn't make the iPod, earbuds and cable so white, so it can't be that simple, can it?:confused:

My guess: the cables are computer-animated (or just enhanced).

Anyway, I think it's more work behind this than it seems!

Mactivist

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2003
canada
IT ROCKS

I totally loved this commercial - big fan of the Black Eyed Peas, tho I've never heard this song before. Awesome aesthetic. And I love the bopping, grooving people. Decidely cooler than anything they've done in a long time.

How did I know i'd find a bunch of macheads complaining about the 'black' urbanness of the commercials. Get off it.

It's about time Apple got out of marketing to bougie suburban white folks (think of the racist wedding on a quaint little island commercial for iDVD - blech). I think they could make a mint if they can lower their prices so average humans can afford their stuff, and i think having fun, colourful, groovy ads can appeal to a huge spectrum of the population (machead hicks excluded, clearly.)

I loved it.

:p

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Yesterday I was sitting at lunch, and we're watching ESPN, talking about those Cubbies, and the new iPod commercial comes on. We all sit there and watch it and when its over Ben sitting next to me says "Those iPods are cool."

That's not something he'd normally say, and to see marketing work that well... it was pretty amazing. I don't like the colors... but if it works, it works.

nyctopterus

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2003
Oz
Originally posted by Thresher

Err, but they'll be buying them for their kids! They are the one making purchasing decisions (at least as far as brands are concerned). Unless...

"Daddy, I want an iPod!"

Dad buys dellPod

*Cry* "I wanted an iPod, like on the ads! I HATE YOU SO MUCH!!"

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
Awesome Ad. Maybe this marks a change going forward. After their superbowl ad this is their next best ad. Maybe they have new Ad consultants. They nailed it.

Everywhere I look, people have the distinctive white iPod headphones on. The iPod is everyplace. I can't imagine any kid wanting anything else for the holidays.

pkradd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2001
I think the ad goes directly to the right demographics. For too long, Apple has been seen as a computer company appealing to snobs and rich people
(i.e.: the product is too expensive). Now they are aiming squarely at the young 20+ market and they will hit a home run. Look for some other versions shortly as well. Race has nothing to do with it except the "race" to sell a million more iPods. The next ad will probably have an iTunes reference since its' anticipated that iTMS for Windows is to be announced next week prior to the analyst meeting on the 15th. This ad campaign will also win many awards when that time comes.

Blaaze

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2003
I was taking another look after class, and I thought it was kind of cool that they used an actual iPod, because it looked like it was computer rendered or something. But there is lots of details here. If you look at the attached pic, there are no jaggies around the fingers, and it's looks like crisp vector art.

Also, if you take a look at where the earphone jack plugs in, and the cords themselves, you can see that they are not of the same whiteness as the iPod itself. And in my opinion, I think those were drawn in or probably over the real cords. They must have put little tracking things on the cords. I think in other parts of the movie, the cords look like they are jagged, and are like bent at angles instead of flowing curves.

Also like someone said before, it is green screen, because you can see the fuzziness around the silhouette.

Maybe I'm just taking this too far, or maybe I have too much time on my hands. Or both.

Attachments

• screengrab.jpg
    screengrab.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 420
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.