Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
Originally posted by evil
the visuals are pretty cool but i find that song repulsive

Most lyrics today are repulsive. It is a sign of the times we're living in. Apple cannot be a moral crusader, it's not their commission. Our parents, our religions, our institutions have individually and collectively failed us.

Apple provides escape from reality not a solution to it.

silvergunuk

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2003
England
mmmm niiiice

I Think the advert is one of apples best so far, okay it was terrible music from some turdy american band but if its what pulls the crowd then so be it. Blending into urban culture nicely. Lets just see if the DellPod has a similar ad but the silhouettes are white

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by jer2665
edited: added "urban" to make me sound like less of a racist moron :p

it didn't work, you nazi!

HAHA. relax peoples, jer and i are friends.

but seriously i have to agree, especially about the mcdonalds commercials. im as pro urban as pete korzep, but that doesnt mean i understand the new advertising trend. i guess if it works, go with it

JJTiger1

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
North America
Originally posted by Gus
I'm sorry, but I guess I'm in the minority here. All I can say is Blech. A bunch of people gyrating around is a good ad? I guess I must be getting old.

Regards,
Gus

The iPod is aimed at the youth market, just like the "transistor radios" back in the sixties.

The iPod is aimed at the URBAN market and Yuppies with holstered beepers and dual cellphones.

I would not be caught with an iPod...

... but I like the iPod to car radio adapter gizmo. You can't get decent radio signals in some backwoods off-road sites up in the mountains....
.... I would not have to carry a case full of 4-track tapes... hmmm.

How much is that iPod again?
=-=
JJ

This ad is way cooler than the one with the schleppy white guy dancing out the door like a big ole nerd. The focus here is taken away from the personality of the person with the iPod and put on the hardware and the music.

The song didn't impress me.

What would really be cool is a series of ads with different types of silhouettes moving to different types of music. You could get your cowboy-hatted folks for country, long-haired headbangers, etc... Perhaps working snips of each into one big commercial, demonstrating its cross-cultural appeal.

"All for one, and one for all..."

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Re: IT ROCKS

Originally posted by Mactivist
It's about time Apple got out of marketing to bougie suburban white folks (think of the racist wedding on a quaint little island commercial for iDVD - blech). I think they could make a mint if they can lower their prices so average humans can afford their stuff, and i think having fun, colourful, groovy ads can appeal to a huge spectrum of the population (machead hicks excluded, clearly.)

I loved it.

:p

WTF are you talking about? Are you a troll trying to stir people up? Your comments are ignorant.

Regards,
Gus

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
Re: ugh

Originally posted by nacl99
I think "urban" as you put it is cool, because us white suburban people do not have much culture, I mean look at all the music out there, most comes from urban, or cultured people.

I have a degree in anthropology from uconn( for those who dont know what anthro is, like jer2665, it is the study of humans and their culture). i have had my share of culture, and i disagree with the statement "white suburban people do not have much culture". the way your statement sounds, it seems like you mean the white man doesnt understand/know the urban lifestyle. that may be true to some extent, but to say that white suburbans dont get much culture is rediculous. we may not know/care about the urban culture, but to blanket us as culturaless is out of line.

your statement of most music comes from urban or cultured people intrigues me. i dont listen to black eyed pees. they could be influenced by african culture, i dont know and i dont care. my point is that bands like nirvana and phish do have a cultural aspect-the american culture. I cant help it if the american culture does not interest you, or you dont have enough respect for your (potentially) native history. american culture in art is overlooked simply because people see it/live it everyday.

one idea i do agree with is that nirvana, soundgarden, pearl jam and bands like that had their decade in the sun in the 90's. i guess it could be considered the peak of american music culture. thats fine. i recognize that. some believe that urban is the wave of the future. i dont think so, but some do. my final point is that urban/alternitive/rave and many other music forms are common in america, therefore they are apart of american culture. people should look beyond the ethnic origins and recognize that america is a combonation of
of thousands of cultures.*translation* the ipod commercial is as american as apple pie.

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
ipod

They should have display the actually look of the ipod. so the regular consumers are not confused with Dell's Piece-of-crap-pod.:D

other then that the commercial is hip and cool. I like it

copperpipe

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2002
YOU GUYS ARE CLUELESS...

All the people here saying "aww it isn't that good, it could be better, I don't like the song, it's too black" are the kind of people that would make bland commercials aimed at trying to be everything to everyone.

This commercial makes a statement! The groove is hot, fresh, and fun. The people dancing are hot, fresh, and fun. The ipod is hot, fresh, and fun. The colors are bold, which makes a new statement about Apple itself. It says "Apple isn't just the pristine (and boring) white - Apple is fun too!" And to make a commercial this powerful, yet having it be so simple is pure genius. I would rate this as possibly the most effective commercial I've seen from Apple...

deepkid

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
chicago
ethnicity/race in ads, nothing new

oh, i like the band, got the cd. i wasn't saying it was a bad ad, or that there are too many urban ads, i was stating how there is a really big surge in it now.

I'm not sure if Apple intentionally targeted a particular race or a cultural genre in their ads, but overall addressing race and ethnicity in advertising is nothing new.

It isn't inherently bad, but arguably fails more often than not.

I think back to the fat, loud, black women mouthing off about how Spic and Span "sho did get huh flos clean!" and early Dominos commercials where the whole family is dancing around the house just to get a slice of pizza.

As a young black kid, I began to do some chicken-or-the-egg sort of wondering about this.. was this behavior nature or nurture?

While those are in poor taste, one could argue since the iPod is a portable music player and many people might dance while listening to a favorite tune, this particular ad is appropriate.

In the past there was what appeared to be a young male of arabic(?) descent dancing to his iPod, so dancing in their ads is not new. There was the young caucasian male in the previous iPod ads and a young black lady as well, but their gyrations weren't as pronounced.

I've always felt that Apple's ads have been bland and quite conservative considering how liberal the company really is. Even the snail ad was a yawner to me.

I think the current iPod ads will definitely connect with the popular youthful demographic that many advertisers try to capture.

Re: Re: ugh

Originally posted by Wonder Boy
one idea i do agree with is that nirvana, soundgarden, pearl jam and bands like that had their decade in the sun in the 90's. i guess it could be considered the peak of american music culture. thats fine.

Now THAT's funny!

That music would only be considered the peak if you were in your late teens or twenties when it came along.

Music goes through cycles and the often soul-less electronica of today will be replaced by a more raw sound tomorrow. That's what the 60's/70's did to the 50's. That's what the 90's did to the 80's. Why do you think the Simplistic tinkerings of bands like the "White Stripes" are being treated like the next greatest thing? Record company execs know that pre-fab pop's days are numbered (thank god). The hardest thing to do is get exposed to music that isn't the idea of the future as seen by ClearChannel.

The most compelling music, the most culturally resonating music, is what YOU are listening to today.

Apple's just playing for hipness. Like having Tony Hawk do a "Switched" commercial.

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
Re: Re: Re: ugh

Originally posted by jayscheuerle
Now THAT's funny!

That music would only be considered the peak if you were in your late teens or twenties when it came along.

yeah, i wasnt clear enough. what i meant was that there was a steady surge for about 20-25 years of guitars, bass, drums and keyboard, which ended in the mide 90's with the insurgence of boy bands( thank god thats over)

traditional instruments and genres hit their high note in the 90's and were on a downward fall. thats were urban/rap and stuff like that pick up the slack.

JJTiger1

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
North America
Re: ethnicity/race in ads, nothing new

Originally posted by deepkid
I'm not sure if Apple intentionally targeted a particular race or a cultural genre in their ads, but overall addressing race and ethnicity in advertising is nothing new.
{snippage}

Well said.

I'm betting that later today, or tomorrow, we will see more new ads with different kinds of music and silhouettes of philharmonic orchestra members, or cowboys, or yuppies, or surfers, or

... Space Aliens !!!

jer2665

macrumors regular
and even quicker thank god the "the" bands died out really quickly. Even the 4 months it was big with the strokes, the vines, the...etc etc, was too much for me :) but the white stripes i do like, they are actually doing something different, weird...but different.

Re: Re: Re: Re: ugh

Originally posted by Wonder Boy
yeah, i wasnt clear enough. what i meant was that there was a steady surge for about 20-25 years of guitars, bass, drums and keyboard, which ended in the mide 90's with the insurgence of boy bands( thank god thats over)

traditional instruments and genres hit their high note in the 90's and were on a downward fall. thats were urban/rap and stuff like that pick up the slack.

You're thinking of Classic Rock, our generation's "Oldies Music", heydays from the late 60's to the early 70's. Remember, that was broken up (or intertwined) with funky Jackson 5 and Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Disco, YAZ, etc. It's the form of singer/songwriters, folk tunes and singing around the campfire. It may not be at a peak right now, but it will be back. Real angst-driven music isn't composed in a studio.

;)

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
From my persepective this is simply an evolution of the previous "kareoke" ads with dancing instead of singing.

As said before - these are people who like THIS SONG.

I fully expect there to be other ads with different songs and different dancing. I can imagine a similar ad with say a 50 Cent song playing with folks just bobbing their heads. Or one with a rock song and the 'dancers' playing air guitar or air drums.

I'm not entirely sure that this ad is directed at people who have no idea what an iPod is. It's not an introduction to the iPod (vo: the iPod is a portable digital music player and external hard drive available in sizes of ...) Nope. It's aimed at consumers who are already considering a similar device and know what it is. This is trying to pursuade said buyers to the iPod and away from others.

While it is blastphamy to say this, I honestly think that the ad should read "For PC or Mac" to truly alleveiate any concerns of it working on PC's.

2 cents

Bandit

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2001
spoof

I want to try to spoof this ad. How do you make that silhouette effect with Final Cut?

jer2665

macrumors regular
Re: spoof

Originally posted by Bandit
I want to try to spoof this ad. How do you make that silhouette effect with Final Cut?

i haven't used final cut so im not sure, but i think that'd be a pain in the butt with final cut. but you could always export the movie as a series of tifs and change each frame in photoshop, then remake them as a movie. i dont know if this is the best way, i just remember doing this at some point in my class at school to add some effect to the movie.

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
Most of you people....

Need to get a life.

For Gods sake it's an F****** commercial take for what it is is nothing more nothing less get over it.:rolleyes:

By the way I think it's a good commercial
:D

jethro421

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Re: mmmm niiiice

Originally posted by silvergunuk
...okay it was terrible music from some turdy american band but if its what pulls the crowd then so be it. Blending into urban culture nicely.

irony at its finest: Yahoo news

as for everyone complaining about this ad targeting blacks, that couldn't be further from the truth.

this is real music as much as anything you listen to. just because you don't understand the culture behind it, doesn't make the music invalid. it just means you're out of touch with the music of today's youth.

for people acting like true musicianship ends at hip-hop, may i direct you to the roots.

if you don't like it, that's fine. it's all a matter of taste, and you're entitled to feel however you want. but don't try to discredit an art form out of pure ignorance. not all rap is gangsta rap. don't be so quick to judge.

broaden your horizons and give something a chance before you make up your mind.

BTW... i had liked some Black Eyed Peas songs before. but after seeing them live, i understand them and appreciate them immensely. i've never danced so much at a concert. and the message at all hip-hop shows i go to is: unity. all walks of life, all races, all ages, all classes, ... come together for a great time.

peace,
lance (rural white boy, signing off) :)

jer2665

macrumors regular
Re: Re: mmmm niiiice

Originally posted by jethro421
irony at its finest: Yahoo news

as for everyone complaining about this ad targeting blacks, that couldn't be further from the truth.

this is real music as much as anything you listen to. just because you don't understand the culture behind it, doesn't make the music invalid. it just means you're out of touch with the music of today's youth.

for people acting like true musicianship ends at hip-hop, may i direct you to the roots.

if you don't like it, that's fine. it's all a matter of taste, and you're entitled to feel however you want. but don't try to discredit an art form out of pure ignorance. not all rap is gangsta rap. don't be so quick to judge.

broaden your horizons and give something a chance before you make up your mind.

BTW... i had liked some Black Eyed Peas songs before. but after seeing them live, i understand them and appreciate them immensely. i've never danced so much at a concert. and the message at all hip-hop shows i go to is: unity. all walks of life, all races, all ages, all classes, ... come together for a great time.

peace,
lance (rural white boy, signing off) :)

hah, this all started from me, and got way way off topic. I never said it aimed at blacks, or that all rap is the gangster rap. I listen to quite a bit of rap, along with quite a bit of heavier stuff. I personally was merely stating that there is a big surge in urban commercials, meaning using rapping, dancing, hip hop, r&b, etc etc. Not aiming at blacks.

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
Re: Re: Re: mmmm niiiice

hah, this all started from me, and got way way off topic. I never said it aimed at blacks, or that all rap is the gangster rap. I listen to quite a bit of rap, along with quite a bit of heavier stuff. I personally was merely stating that there is a big surge in urban commercials, meaning using rapping, dancing, hip hop, r&b, etc etc. Not aiming at blacks.

Nazi punk, go home!

haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.