Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
Re: Re: Re: Re: mmmm niiiice

Speaking of marketing to blacks, how about the black Panther box with the X on it. It puts me in the mind of malcolmn X.

I could be wrong, probably am wrong, but i just noticed it.

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
People , people please

ALL OF YOU ARE READING WAYYYYYYY TOOOOOO MUCH IN TO THIS!!!!!!

I hate that "Political correct" crap!!! oh we have to sencetative to other's people feelings. :eek:

Sheebahawk

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2003
Long Beach California
FINALLY a good apple ad

BEEN up all night drinking, and I saw the ads several times, and it was very good, very much what apple needs right now, IK like it, it works, and If you said something bad about the new adds, you can *uck yourself, cause they are as good as they should be.

Now I can point at the tv, say "apple makes that, don't you wish you had one?" to my friends, and not be embarressed.

And if any of you describe the commercial as Catering to the black community, you an *** my ****** ****. prop 54 may not have p-assed, But id still expect a little more from the learned/less ignorant mac using community Leaving a bad taste in my mouth this morning, and its not from the 151, its from the macrumors community, and I don't even feel like reading all the posts this time cause I don't wamna stir up the ol rage.

I also like the ad with the little boy singing the eminem song

good of you to start kicking some ass apple....

nyctopterus

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2003
Oz
Re: People , people please

Originally posted by Wash!!
ALL OF YOU ARE READING WAYYYYYYY TOOOOOO MUCH IN TO THIS!!!!!!

I hate that "Political correct" crap!!! oh we have to sencetative to other's people feelings. :eek:

Did you know Safari has a built in spell checker? Just right-click in a text box and switch it on.

jethro421

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Re: Re: Re: mmmm niiiice

Originally posted by jer2665
hah, this all started from me, and got way way off topic. I never said it aimed at blacks, or that all rap is the gangster rap. I listen to quite a bit of rap, along with quite a bit of heavier stuff. I personally was merely stating that there is a big surge in urban commercials, meaning using rapping, dancing, hip hop, r&b, etc etc. Not aiming at blacks.

i had seen where you clarified your statement and i wasn't really talking to you. the post that made me want to reply was the guy from london calling them a "turdy american band", while their record was doing better in the UK than it was at home.

then other people saying, "bleh, i don't like the music" or something similar.

when i first saw the commercial, my head just started moving with the beat. i'm sure you know what i mean. it's just too bad that some people have a knee-jerk reaction and say they hate it, and it should have been heavy metal instead. i used to be like that. but then i quit thinking i knew everything and started giving other music a chance. the hard thing is you have to get passed all the crap there is in any genre, to find the gems. BEP is definitely a gem. jurassic 5 too. white stripes are amazing. george strait is a great musician as well (threw a loop at you, didn't i? ;) ).

i don't know, maybe living in a city as diverse as LA did it to me. maybe my tastes and sensibilities just matured on their own. but i like my openness and love to be surprised by new experiences.

give in to the groove...

lance

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
Re: Most of you people....

Need to get a life.

For Gods sake it's an F****** commercial take for what it is is nothing more nothing less get over it.:rolleyes:

Hi, welcome to what's called a discussion forum. We discuss things here. Many people make their careers in advertising or related fields and would like to discuss the new commercial in that light. These people realize that any commercial worth it's salt has every microscopic detail planned out for a particular reason. There should always be something more to it.

Others just want to discuss or opine about Apple, their image of Apple or other things that come to mind when watching the commercial.

If you wish to not participate in this discussion, simply do not click the reply button.

Cheers.

xone

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2003
stumptown
Re: People , people please

oh we have to sencetative to other's people feelings. :eek:

Wow, I had to slowly read that out loud to understand what word you were trying to spell. :confused:

Debman

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2003
I think the ad is ambiguous

they should have said at the end:

iPod

For Mac or PC

rather than:

iPod

Mac or PC

the latter makes it should like "you want an iPod...well, what will you choose as a computer? a mac or a PC"

rather than "want an iPod? well you can use it on a mac or a PC"

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
has anybody noticed that earlier today, there was this ipod-dancer-icon on apples starting page saying:

ipod
watch the
new tv ads

now it says:

ipod
watch the
new tv ad

prepare for more ad*s*!
:)
has anyone a screenshot of it?
.a

iconrad

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2002
Canonsburg, PA
Originally posted by m_gerbik
Seriously????? Perhaps you meant to say it was 10,000 billion times cooler?
:confused:

Maybe I had my own opinion and didn't like it. I sand by my opinion and don't think it's as cool as the other apple commercials. To be more specific I don't like the colors they used or the song.

balconycollapse

Cancelled
Aug 7, 2003
wow

Those thirty seconds are going to make apple mega bucks/market penetration for the holidays. I can bet you anything they will assault the fall television line ups and sports especially around thanksgiving. I can see my 4th beer uncles discussing the commercial during a football game. "Hey Steve you have a mac what is that thing...oh really...you mean...wow...that's not much considering". Plus this is the type of commercial that gets little "2 minute" opinion pieces on cable news channels saying "the hot toys for this christmas are....". Besides, history has shown any device that has to do with the listening to or playing of music is a hot item. I like the term in Wired of "rocketing". Meaning that growing trend of consumers being thrifty in most aspects of their life groceries, living expenses type stuff, but spending big bucks on entertainment centers, personal electronics (cellphones/ipod), computers, cars. Consumers want the best! I love the comment someone made about the dellpod. If 1/100 people watching gets what this commercial is about and 1/10000 buy one that'd be alright wouldn't it? I think this commercial is artfully d one. Technique wise vector art is all the rage. Hip hop is the rage. Its going to spur alot of conversations among parents asking their kids what it is. Or their kids asking their parents for one. Once they figure out what it is they will buy the family an ipod thinking they can use their kids toy. Then maybe look at a mac while they are at compusa. I also feel that the ads aren't cliche or as calculated as McDonalds trying to be cool. Or god forbid those awful Mitsubishi adds with the people gyrating in the car wearing tams/berets/j-lo earrings. Consumers can spot a wolf in sheeps... Apple JUST IS cool and has a reputation for being genuine.

Here is the other important trend. The last 2 movies i saw in the theater had macs all over the place.

Duplex (laptop as a plot point)
School of Rock (#1 film...uhh...how many people saw that commercial :) )

Ok...enough unfocused ranting from me.

One last thought. Think of how many people (especially youth) have 1000s of napstered mp3s on the PC side. Sitting at the computer listening is inconvienent. Burning archiving 1000s of mp3 is inconvienent. I still don't think this market has been tapped properly yet. Stodgy dell/microsoft/gateway stuff is NOT cool even among diehard PC users its love and hate. Go iPod the little engine that could!

iPC

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2003
East Windsor, CT
blech

I guess the target market for the iPod is the under 25 crowd....

Pretty lame ad if you ask me :rolleyes: Just the type of thing (nearly full screen of one color) that makes me change the channel straight away.

(Not so much now with TiVo and 30sec skip)

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
That's probably the best ad I've seen out of Apple since the 1984 one. If it were alone, I wouldn't say that, but considering the current market position of the iPod, where Apple wants to push sales, and how much room they now have to work with the same concept, I really, really like it.

It's hip, it's fresh, it's clean and stylish, it goes against the visual overload of a lot of youth-targeted advertising to make for a fresher feel, and it pulls a 180 on the sterile white of past ads. Makes it that much harder to keep up with Apple, doesn't it? Every time people start to copy their design, they go somewhere else.

For one thing, most people seem to be forgetting that the iPod is incredibly popular already--the MOST popular portable player, in fact. If people know what they are already, Apple is under no pressure to explain the product, any more than VW has to explain why the Beetle looks like it does.

This particular ad (not all of them) is targeted at a fairly young, hip demographic. Those people know the iPod--all you need to do is push them a little harder to realize how cool it is, and remind them that even if they've got a PC, it works just fine.

If the ad were targeted at a demographic that didn't know much about these things, then you'd want to provide a little more info, and I assume they eventually will, but Apple's not going there yet--they're focusing on continued market dominance in that area, hopefully backed by dominance in the Music Store area as well.

Saturate public awareness with a unique ad--nothing else on TV looks like it--and then, once people have the thing embedded in their mind, you make the sale. Get awareness high enough, and once someone decides they want a music player, the first thing that comes to mind is an iPod.

Compufix

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
PA
STATE OF THE ART EXACTLY

Originally posted by arn
I think it's a great ad.

Apple's riding it's "cool" image... which is a good thing.

Now, this might date and also show much of a geek I am... but i'm reminded of "State of the Art" by SpaceBalls. An Amiga demo.

Anyone? anyone...?

arn

Damn Arn...I thought I was the only Amiga Demo scene guy on here :cool:...I still have a TON of those Demo Disks around, and that was one of the coolest. AMAZING what those guys did with that hardware, some 15+ years ago...:cool: Matter of fact, State of the ART runs on the Amiga Emulator last I checked. :cool:

-Compufix

traffic4

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
apple gets it right

an amazing ad by apple.
perfectly targeting the largest market of consumers for their product.

the colours work great on the television format.

and the song, perfect.
it gets the groove going on.

i'm sure apple's next ads will appeal to other genre's as well, as in more urban influence for the first ad.

Jesus on OSX

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2003
That's one hell of an ad. I love it.

Almost makes up for the collosal failure that was the G5 (Blown away) idiotic commercial.

BOOMBA

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2001
I am sure someone asked this somewhere once, and no one is confused but me....

... but why is it in the Apple store and in some print ads they show an iPod that is BLACK with red LED lights?

You can only buy WHITE, correct?

Is it just a graphical thing for ads?

thanks

Originally posted by BOOMBA
I am sure someone asked this somewhere once, and no one is confused but me....

... but why is it in the Apple store and in some print ads they show an iPod that is BLACK with red LED lights?

You can only buy WHITE, correct?

Is it just a graphical thing for ads?

thanks

What you're seeing is a picture of an iPod taken in the dark to show off the lights. Somebody clips it out of the background and sticks it on a white background.

It's just out of context.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Stellar

This commercial rocks. It's much better than previous iPod spots. Makes want to go to a club and dance all night (though what doesn't?).

Dan

Mason

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2003
Just saw the ad on ESPN. I like it a lot and think it will be effective.

Good job!

kangaroo

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2003
Bad ad....

If this ad were truly effective it would appeal to a broad market as opposed to a particular demographic, it would explain what it is and why its better than the ‘other guy’s product’ and finally, it would tie into iTunes and a larger campaign that seeks to normalize Apple’s digital hub concept. A talented ad agency could do all of that in as little as 15 to 30 seconds.

Instead, they opted for a visual gimmick which preaches to the choir and, probably, alienates a whole bunch of people who might otherwise be interested in an iPod.

Mason

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2003
Re: Bad ad....

Originally posted by kangaroo
If this ad were truly effective it would appeal to a broad market as opposed to a particular demographic, it would explain what it is and why its better than the ‘other guy’s product’ and finally, it would tie into iTunes and a larger campaign that seeks to normalize Apple’s digital hub concept. A talented ad agency could do all of that in as little as 15 to 30 seconds.

Instead, they opted for a visual gimmick which preaches to the choir and, probably, alienates a whole bunch of people who might otherwise be interested in an iPod.

You assume that Apple won't also be releasing a new campaign with the anticipated release of iTunes for Windows next week. This could merely be the first salvo in their marketing strategy.

Further, I don't see how this would alienate anyone. Just because it has dancing and a pop song?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.