Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ibjr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2002
Eastern seaboard
puckhead193 said:
I hope they do get new ipod cause my 3g is going to die soon... :(
my friend has a 40 gig photo dam that is one big mamma! i hope they scale the size down alot

They already did that with the 30 and the new 60.

musiclover137

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2005
as much as i'd like to see an iPod video, Jobs said that they haven't made one yet because people don't have the content to put on it, legally. Until we hear news about negotiations with MPAA for the iTVS then i don't think we'll see anything like the PSP for a little while. too bad though

woodman

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2005
Brooklyn
musiclover137 said:
as much as i'd like to see an iPod video, Jobs said that they haven't made one yet because people don't have the content to put on it, legally. Until we hear news about negotiations with MPAA for the iTVS then i don't think we'll see anything like the PSP for a little while. too bad though

Perhaps video podcasting will catch on. Apple may come out with the video iPod before having a content deal. Don't know what the leap would be technologically to have video play on an iPod, but I could use some entertainment for 30 mins on the train each morning.

Prez1082

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2004
Does anyone remember if there were rumors going around when the original ipod came out???

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Nope. It came out from left field. It was lame though. Less space than a Nomad. And no wireless.

greenguy4

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2005
People are saying in June their may be updates to the line and maybe the addition of something new

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
i was looking at the times apple update the ipod and the updates all were from april to july. THe updaes from 2nd to 3rd took a year and one month,and 3rd to 4th took a year and 2 months. If apple keeps up the year and plus one mounth each update, then we get ipods in september.If the keep the updates with in months of each other we get ipods in may or june. Im hoping may but june would be nice too.

They could have said it was just speculstion even when they had info saying so. They could do that because if they said the had inside info then apple could sue.

macorama

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
greenguy4 said:
People are saying in June their may be updates to the line and maybe the addition of something new
MacPredict.com's users are predicting 2nd July. So about 6 months since from the previous update, which sounds about right. The question is whether the update is a storage bump like on the mini last time, or something more like the photo screen appearing on more models.

hexdcml

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2004
London
upgrading from 2nd gen

yeah, I hope they update the minis (unlikely, since they've done that round Feb time) or iPod 5th gens. I'm wanting one this summer to replace my 2nd generation iPod. It's given me 3 years of faithful service, and it's time for retirement.

d_suprstar

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2005
ipod faceplates

ccrandall77 said:
I've written this before, but I still feel that an iPod that could have swappable faceplates would be big. Look at how well they sell for cell phones and look at how well the silicon jackets for iPods sell. This would be a slam dunk and a great way to get away from the crappy pastels and boring white.

***u should try the faceplates from macskinz.com they have all kinds of kool desings***

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
here's what i think is gonna happen

sometime around july/august.. apple will release new ipods around these models

1gb ipod shuffle--->99.00

6gb mini (with color screen)---> 249.99

30 gb ipod standard but with color screen ---> 299.99

60gb/80 gb ipod photo ----> 399 for 60 gb, 499 for 80 gb

im call it first!

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Just caught this

Hi Gang,

Didn't feel like reading through all the posts, so I'm not sure if this has been caught by anybody yet.

Everytime I go to http://www.griffintechonlogy.com it seems there releasing some new add-on either for the mac or generally for the iPod. and sure enough today:

they have the "BlueTrip"

Which is bluetooth for your iPod in the home, I guess you put some type of device in the headphone port in the iPod. and then the reciever is connected to your stereo. - If this is in the works, then i'm sure something is underway for headphone type stuff.

Here's a link: http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/bluetrip/

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Wireless head phones are the main thing I want - cords constantly get tangled when putting them away. I hope if they go that way they also bring out an attachement to make current 4G ipods similiarly compatable with new headsets.

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
The new iTunes 4.8 is obviously pointing the way toward video on iPods. I think that will be a new feature on the new iPods. They'll need to up the diskspace though.

hoppo99

macrumors member
May 8, 2005
London, UK
musiclover137 said:

Musiclover is quite right. Without the mechanism to ge the content legally then there is little point in selling a video iPod.

With iTunes now allowing small video downloads with songs, it seems likely that we'll see a iTunes Movie Store or something along those lines before too long. A video iPod with a movie store is just what Apple will need in the coming months to reinvigorate the iPod line and put it way ahead of the competition again.

Not sure what they'l do about the iTunes branding if it sells movies as well. The iTunes name is to iconic to lose and it would make commercial sense if one app had both stores.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
I just hope Apple will improve battery time without the iPod becoming a brick. My 40Gb 4G iPod is fat enough. Besides when I do buy a new iPod, I sure would like to be able to use it with my inmotion. As it is now I couldn't fit the 60Gb into the slot...:(

SimonLee5282

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2005
South Georgia
musiclover137 said:

not true. I would love to be able to carry some short home videos of my baby girl on my iPod.

SimonLee5282

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2005
South Georgia
ccrandall77 said:
No, bluetooth isn't for syncing songs it's meant for syncing the PIMs and for headsets.

bluetooth can sync anything, including songs. All bluetooth is is a wireless protical for transfering data short distences, and it could be anything. I know that bluetooth is used at some airports to sinc the gas trucks to a pump controll straped around the POL issuers waist to controll the fuel flow in and out of the aircraft. If bluetooth can do that, then it can transfer any type of data, including songs and all the other stuff.

ccrandall77

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Franklin, WI
SimonLee5282 said:
bluetooth can sync anything, including songs. All bluetooth is is a wireless protical for transfering data short distences, and it could be anything. I know that bluetooth is used at some airports to sinc the gas trucks to a pump controll straped around the POL issuers waist to controll the fuel flow in and out of the aircraft. If bluetooth can do that, then it can transfer any type of data, including songs and all the other stuff.

Yes, bluetooth can sync anything, technically, but it was designed for Personal Area Networks... it wasn't meant to be used to download large files or stream multimedia! Look up the speed of Bluetooth 1.x and you'll see that it is not meant for this type of thing. Even bluetooth 2.0 is not quite fast enough to make it practical to sync a large volume of data!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.