Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

entwife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
hello,
one of my friends is a manager at carphone warehouse and they have just had a meeting regarding iphone.

new info:

pay as you go will not be launching untill around september

white wont be availiable at launch

take this with a pinch of salt as obvioulsy things can change but this is what he was told yesterday.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
from o2 website:
iPhone is coming soon for Pay & Go

Customers will soon be able to enjoy all the great features of iPhone without a monthly contract with the iPhone for Pay & Go.

Just register your interest opposite and we'll drop you a line in early July to tell you what you need to do to be one of the first to get your hands on the new 3G iPhone.

More information on the new iPhone will be available shortly so come back in a few days or visit http://www.apple.com

i say false. and i will ignore anything carphone warehouse say, the people that work for them are appalling. wait for official word from o2

pauld

macrumors regular

If true, that would be the dumbest.
Rather than O2 making money from the early-adopting anti-contract contingent, just watch the slew of contract-free iPhones coming into the UK via whichever other countries offer it this way, many of which will obviously be unlocked to other networks, rather than people being sucked in to staying with O2 with the 6 months free Cloud/Openzone wi-fi offer.

Shot. In. The. Foot.

Leemo

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2006
Nottingham, UK
hello,
one of my friends is a manager at carphone warehouse and they have just had a meeting regarding iphone.

new info:

white wont be availiable at launch

take this with a pinch of salt as obvioulsy things can change but this is what he was told yesterday.

Neither of these points are true.

pauld

macrumors regular
Just register your interest opposite and we'll drop you a line in early July

Unfortunately that looks like they are saying they will simply let people know what the score is in early July - i.e. " Hi! It's early July, we just wanted to say that we are making a catastrophic mistake by not offering the PAYG iPhone until September".

entwife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Neither of these points are true.

well i did say take it with a pinch of salt, but yesterday there was a manager meeting for lincolnshire,yorkshire and manchester area cpw and thats what he was told.

entwife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
from o2 website:

i say false. and i will ignore anything carphone warehouse say, the people that work for them are appalling. wait for official word from o2[/QUOTE

i wouldnt tar everyone with same brush to be honest.

there are appaulling people in every job, not everyone

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
o2 press office told me in june that it would be available on pay and go on 11 july. obviously plans can change though.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
i wouldnt tar everyone with same brush to be honest.

there are appaulling people in every job, not everyone
yes, true, but every comment about CPW on here say similar things
i mean, most people that bought iPhones from CPW were told they HAD to buy insurance, which is a blatant lie
obviously there will be some good people in a job
but i will wait for official word from the carrier, as they are (along with apple) the ones that set what and when will be sold

entwife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
o2 press office told me in june that it would be available on pay and go on 11 july. obviously plans can change though.
ultimately o2 are the best source of info, i just thought i would share what i had been told.

the iphone insurance with cpw was awful

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
I've just spoken to my local O2 store in Nottingham and they say they will have plenty of 8 and 16GB black iPhones in stock.

They are not going to be doing the white 16GB iPhones at launch (agreeing with what the OP said)

Also they are not going to be taking any pre-orders.. it's a first come first served basis.

And they plan to open at 08:02 (but he's not 100% on that time yet)

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
It's extraordinary how much conflicting information there is out there!

You can virtually guarantee that you will get a different story from every person that you speak to. For that reason I find it pointless to ask in the first place.

What we all need is a clear announcement from Apple, O2, and CPW (if anyone is really interested in them).

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
I just spoke to my local store (Kings Heath, Birmingham) and the person seemed very confident. He told me that they have had it confirmed yesterday that they are having plenty of stock for all versions of the iPhone (8GB and both 16GB versions), you cannot pre-order, however they do not believe that this will matter as they have enough stock to meet even the highest of demands on the day. Just thought I'd let you guys know.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

the big question is - when and where and how do us upgraders get our new phones?

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

the big question is - when and where and how do us upgraders get our new phones?
Absolutely! So much for O2's recognition of our loyalty.

Keeping us in suspense is very shabby treatment, if not downright rude!

8 days to go and we still haven't got a clue how we get our grubby mits on the new equipment! :eek:

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK

depends on whether you have an iphone now or not
if you do, you have to order online, and will get it a few days after - the 14th maybe
everyone else can do it instore

from o2:
This special early upgrade offer is only available online at o2.co.uk anytime from 11th July until 11th October 2008.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
depends on whether you have an iphone now or not
if you do, you have to order online, and will get it a few days after - the 14th maybe
I understand that we have to order it online and have no problem with that.

However, the whole tone of the original email from O2 gave me the impression that existing iPhone customers, in recognition of their loyalty (and by God, those of us who bought on launch last November were loyal) would be first in line.

Perhaps it was wishful thinking but I thought we would get guaranteed delivery on the 11th of July.

Leemo

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Absolutely! So much for O2's recognition of our loyalty.

Keeping us in suspense is very shabby treatment, if not downright rude!

8 days to go and we still haven't got a clue how we get our grubby mits on the new equipment! :eek:

Plans currently are - on the 7th all those who pre-registered interest on the o2 site will be emailed/texted info to log into their account section on the o2 site.

From there you'll be able to order the new iPhone for delivery on the 11th. They're planning to send them out the day before using courier.

You'll also be able to call up the upgrades centre (just 202 from your iPhone) and do it that way, although clearly it's easier and faster to do it online.

And now I'll probably get murdered for putting this on here ;)

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
yes, you will!

Plans currently are - on the 7th all those who pre-registered interest on the o2 site will be emailed/texted info to log into their account section on the o2 site.

From there you'll be able to order the new iPhone for delivery on the 11th. They're planning to send them out the day before using courier.

You'll also be able to call up the upgrades centre (just 202 from your iPhone) and do it that way, although clearly it's easier and faster to do it online.
how do you know this????
its similar to the launch of leopard

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007

Leemo, as ever you are the bearer of reliable information which comes from the horse's mouth!

What is more it confirms what I had hoped for (as I explained in my previous post on this thread).

Many thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.