Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
I wonder if they'll let you 'upgrade' to PayG. Can't find much info about this on *any* carrier.. it's not a common scenario. OTOH doing so would save me a few quid over the Simplicity contract I'm on now (and no 18 month lockin, which is kinda important).

I very much doubt it, for the simple reason that O2 would probably not regard it as an upgrade.

The most you have to lose though is the 30 days notice period, isn't it?

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

CD3660 said:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

.......I'm on holiday till the Saturday

I can't believe that a 'die-hard' like you won't be coming back a day early! :D

I wish I could. I was abroad last June when it got released in the US. I left the beach to find an Internet cafe to see what was going on!!!!!!
my girlfriend has been sick hearing about the iPhone since January 07.
If u come back early its no more girlfriend for me.

Eh that sounds like a plan. Only kidding.

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
I very much doubt it, for the simple reason that O2 would probably not regard it as an upgrade.

The most you have to lose though is the 30 days notice period, isn't it?

It's more the number porting I'm thinking off. The 30 days doesn't bother me... however I've gone to all the trouble of making sure people know my phone number and changing it again would be a pain.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
It's more the number porting I'm thinking off. The 30 days doesn't bother me... however I've gone to all the trouble of making sure people know my phone number and changing it again would be a pain.
Ah, I see. Shouldn't be a problem. They can probably switch it over for you in a matter of hours rather than days (as is the case when you move a number from one network to another), and as it's the same network I doubt that you would need a PAC Code.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Just had a dig around on the O2 website and it seems that if you were going from O2 PAYG to O2 contract, you wouldn't need a PAC Code but it would still take a couple of days.

If your number is currently on O2 prepay, no PAC code is required. Just call customer care on 08705 678678, and the number will be transferred within 2 working days.

Logically, the same situation would apply in reverse. :)

entwife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
i guess in a matter of days we will see what happens, just seems odd pay as you go is not up on the site with all tariffs. my friend at cpw has also told me stock may be low compared to the original launch (but to be honest the stock was insane then). still, i hope he is wrong about whities and pay as you.

entwife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
It is not coming to PAYG until early September!! :mad:

Lots of threads are saying this now. I spoke to friend today (cpw manager) and he said that is what he was told at managers meeting a few days ago.
I know some people disagree but I guess we shall see. Personally I think due to o2 being a bit cagey on their site about pay go this really might be the case. I know its all rumors (so I'm on the right website ha ha) but I know my friend is completely trust worthy, its cpw who can be dodgy. Bring on 11th

sdm1985

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Lots of threads are saying this now. I spoke to friend today (cpw manager) and he said that is what he was told at managers meeting a few days ago.
I know some people disagree but I guess we shall see. Personally I think due to o2 being a bit cagey on their site about pay go this really might be the case. I know its all rumors (so I'm on the right website ha ha) but I know my friend is completely trust worthy, its cpw who can be dodgy. Bring on 11th

but carphone warehouse took my details and preordered me a iPhone PAYG earlier today over the phone.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
With every courier delivered upgrade I have had o2 always insist it must be delivered to my home address. Very annoying especially when I have arrived home once to discover the courier had left the phone with a neighbour I don't even know and no delivery card was posted through my door. I only discovered the neighbour had it when I phoned the courier company to ask where my delivery was.
I had the exact same thing happen to me last week with my coffee. Was very miffed...

feistymama

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2008
I currently have a Blackberry on an O2 monthly business tariff which was purchased though Carphone Warehouse. My initial contract is now up and I would like to upgrade to a new 3G iphone.

Can anyone tell me whether I will be able to so through O2 either online or in a shop or whether I will have to do it through CPW?

Also will there be another credit check done?

johnwin

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
Hull, UK
I currently have a Blackberry on an O2 monthly business tariff which was purchased though Carphone Warehouse. My initial contract is now up and I would like to upgrade to a new 3G iphone.

Can anyone tell me whether I will be able to so through O2 either online or in a shop or whether I will have to do it through CPW?

Also will there be another credit check done?

You contract is with o2, CPW are just a parasite sucking a % of your monthly direct debit.

As an o2 customer you should not require a further credit check - provided you have been good and paid them on time every tim

Call o2 asap and tell them your circumstances. Cut CPW out of the loop.

feistymama

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2008
Well I just called both 02 and CPW. 02 basically said that to them I don't exist and not on their systems so it wouldn't be an upgrade and I would be treated as a new customer.

CPW said they will call on Weds or Thurs and take the order from me then.

Even 02 said it would be easier and simpler to go through CPW.

johnwin

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
Hull, UK
Well I just called both 02 and CPW. 02 basically said that to them I don't exist and not on their systems so it wouldn't be an upgrade and I would be treated as a new customer.

CPW said they will call on Weds or Thurs and take the order from me then.

Even 02 said it would be easier and simpler to go through CPW.

Unless you think a credit check is a problem (none of my business so don't answer :cool:) then dump CPW and go with o2. Ultimately o2 are your provider - you phone does not show CPW as your provider does it?

feistymama

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2008
Unless you think a credit check is a problem (none of my business so don't answer :cool:) then dump CPW and go with o2. Ultimately o2 are your provider - you phone does not show CPW as your provider does it?

Thank you, I just want the easiest, quickest way to get my hands on an iphone!

entwife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
but carphone warehouse took my details and preordered me a iPhone PAYG earlier today over the phone.

hahah well i guess this shows they are a well oiled machine with every part of the company up to date.:cool:

the cpw vip ticket thing kicks in on 7th i think, you pay for it and get a queue jump ticket,

entwife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
on the o2 pre orders i cant find an option for white, and pay as you go is 'coming later', my friends info is starting to look possible. things can change tho

in fact it says its only available in black and that is on the o2 site and "Pay & Go will be available later this year" and this is 100% from the o2 site.

so, it looks like at the moment my friends info was completely true and he was not "telling porkies" and so was actually more up to date than some other sources from o2. i wouldn't normally mind but some of the initial replies i got back starting this thread completely dismissed me and could have been taken as rude (although i understand the issues with context in text only conversation).

"I'm a journo - and know people inside o2." indeed,lol. yes im being an arse now, sorry leemo.

goodfeller

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Iphone...

I just spoke to my local store (Kings Heath, Birmingham) and the person seemed very confident. He told me that they have had it confirmed yesterday that they are having plenty of stock for all versions of the iPhone (8GB and both 16GB versions), you cannot pre-order, however they do not believe that this will matter as they have enough stock to meet even the highest of demands on the day. Just thought I'd let you guys know.

I'm sure the staff in all CPW stores just give the information that they are given. There is no way they would set themselves up for annoyed customers by over promising but under delivering..... Not deliberately anyway.

Honest...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.